PDA

View Full Version : Computer Q?

Tom
04-11-2004, 06:42 PM
I cannot access the My Pictures foler on my compueter-everything just stops running and I get a message Not Repsonding when I all up Task Manager.
I suspose I have too many phots in there, but then I thought that was the idea behind a 60G hard drive?
Any ideas how to get at my phots?

JustRalph
04-11-2004, 07:23 PM
tom....boot up in safe mode and try it.....

or you can use a dos prompt to move some pictures around.

It may be that you have the folder set to show thumbnails and it is hanging on the thumbnails........

hit F8 (tap the F8 key) duing the boot process and choose safe mode and then try to browse the folder.

let me know.........

Tom
04-12-2004, 10:23 PM
I copied the file to my D drive and it works fine. I changed the setting to details instead of thumbnails, then re-copied it back to My Documents, but it still freezes up. This has happened before- I now have MyPictures 1,2 and 3 on my D drive.
The next place I copy them to will my new Apple Computer!
God, I HATE micrsoft products! :mad:

headhawg
04-13-2004, 12:13 AM
Tom,

How much free space on your C: partition?

HH

JustRalph
04-13-2004, 01:22 AM
Tom

One of those pics is probably corrupt. it may even be an animated gif that is "crashing" it can happen. You can try to narrow it down to which files by removing them and putting them back 10% at a time until the problem is recreated......process of elimination. Also....virus scan......the folder....

Tom
04-13-2004, 07:42 PM
I didn't even know I had a C partition. It is 14G and 11G are in use, 3G open.
The copy of the folder I pasted to the D drive works fine-all photos work, show in thumbnail view. If I cahnge the properties to show details instead, then copy it back to the My Documents fold, it will still not work.
I don' t know how to take files out of there since I can't open it.

headhawg
04-13-2004, 08:12 PM
Tom,

Sorry I should have been more specific. Is the 3 Gig free with or without the My Pictures folder on the C: partition? Also, what is the size of the My Pictures folder? (Right-click, then Properties)

Did this problem start just after you added more files to the My Pictures folder when it was on the C: drive?

I feel your pain as I have a similar problem with .jpg files as well.

HH

Tom
04-13-2004, 08:36 PM
As usual with MS products-there are several answers here.
Going through ControlPanle, the size is 7G and has only 2 files, 0 folders. If I go through Explorer, the size is 154 mb and 1600+ files.
This folder did this before. I copied it to the D Drvie and made a new, empty one in place of the the original one. It worked fine for a while, now it is doing the same thing again.
The version on my D Drive has three tabs on the properties menu-the last one Customize - allows you to change the file to picutes - best for many files. But the version in the orignal place only has two tab-Customize is not one of them.
No viruses found.
I am definatley looking a Apples this weekend:mad: