PDA

View Full Version : Ralph Wilson Jr.

PhantomOnTour
03-25-2014, 06:03 PM
Sadly passed away at age 95.
Owned the Buffalo Bills for decades (bought them for $25,000) and was a founding father of the AFL.

Great man, RIP

lamboguy
03-25-2014, 07:21 PM
that is very sad to hear. he was a class act

RIP

burnsy
03-25-2014, 07:49 PM
Became a Bills fan in 1990.........went to a game and was hooked for life. Never cared for the Bills until I went to one home game. Whether the team is good or bad...you'll never see or feel a better fan base. Ralph Wilson is a legend in those parts, he will be sorely missed. The stadium is a 5 hour drive away but I've been going for 23 years now, me and two friends of mine split seasons tickets and those fall, weekend trips west have been some of the best times of my life. I make about two games a year. Usually one is around my birthday......cause that's where I want to be! Jim Kelly is battling aggressive cancer and now this. Tough week for Bills nation and two beloved figures of the organization. Both families are in my thoughts and prayers. Lets go Buffalo.......Ralph Wilson loved that team so much, he's probably riding the Great White Buffalo in the sky.

burnsy
03-25-2014, 08:59 PM
https://www.facebook.com/BuffaloBills/photos/a.75862470658.111835.72631215658/10152264331700659/?type=1&theater

One light left on in the stadium tonight..........with snow......

Rookies
03-27-2014, 09:51 PM
MY RCW story...

Was a Season Tix holder on 3 different occasions, including the 2 strike years of the 80s(?). The last, by chance was a glorious run from 1989-2009, with all the Playoffs, AFC Championships and Super Bowls to attend and glory in.

Met Wilson only once at the (RIP) All American Sports Bar in Williamsville. This place was the forerunner of every great Sports Bar I've ever darkened, with TVs in the floor and ceiling. It was our custom to frequent it post Orchard Park and the Bills. There we were, with a couple of post game celebratory Pints and suddenly security moves out the entire section 2 feet to the right of us.

Whaaaa?

In walks Ralph (maybe 75 at the time) and his daughter (just the 2 of them... no entourage/ security... he being worth 500 MILLION at the time) to watch the 4:00 p.m. game... Just like us. Always thought it very strange. He could have had a suite in the adjoining hotel or hell... BOUGHT the bar... But in he came as an ordinary sports guy. I knew who he was right away, but several of the less sober patrons did not. I immediately sized up for an autograph, but his daughter asked to leave them alone until the half.

I did and still have his auto on my game tix.

RIP, Ralph!

burnsy
03-28-2014, 08:23 AM
That's a great example of the Bills and Ralph Wilson. He wanted that team to be like "family" to the city....when there's a home game there....you know it whether you like football or not. "Nobody circles the wagons like the Buffalo Bills." He's (Chris) serious when he says that on ESPN. The fans from Toronto deserve props too...I've met many of them tailgating. You pull in, park...next thing you know you are making friends with people you never met, many live in Toronto too....its a great gig they got going in Buffalo and a lot of it came from the top.....Ralph Wilson.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rTOrNp2yLgQ