PDA

View Full Version : Planned Portfolio Play

limit2
03-25-2014, 07:35 AM
Let us say we are ready to address play with a portfolio of wager types ( win, round robin, exacta, trifecta and super). Capital has accumulated to $2,000. Now, we get a plethora of questions to answer on finding the best approach to achieve the maximum reward. Up to 4 or 5 races of play a day? Stop all play at first hit of any kind? % $$$$ used for each wager type? The Wager Matrix of when each wager type gets exercised? Am I comfortable with approximately 5% of total capital outlay per day? I am interested in what others think of the concept of portfolio play.

therussmeister
03-25-2014, 11:31 AM
Stop all play at first hit of any kind?
This idea seems to come up occasionally. The "Racing Gods" have no concept of time. They don't know if the last winner they granted you was today or last week. A good bet is a good bet, regardless of what day it is, or whether you already won a bet in the last 24 hours.

Robert Fischer
03-25-2014, 07:13 PM
Let us say we are ready to address play with a portfolio of wager types ( win, round robin, exacta, trifecta and super).Capital has accumulated to $2,000. Now, we get a plethora of questions to answer on finding the best approach to achieve the maximum reward. Up to 4 or 5 races of play a day? Stop all play at first hit of any kind? % $$$$ used for each wager type? The Wager Matrix of when each wager type gets exercised? Am I comfortable with approximately 5% of total capital outlay per day? I am interested in what others think of the concept of portfolio play.

Let us say we are ready to address play with a portfolio of wager types ( win, round robin, exacta, trifecta and super).
Have you already decided to use this specific portfolio?

Up to 4 or 5 races of play a day?
You will need a minimum of 3 races to bet a round robin. May be best to start with your 3 best plays, when trying a new system out.

Stop all play at first hit of any kind?
Not generally.

% $$$$ used for each wager type? The Wager Matrix of when each wager type gets exercised? Am I comfortable with approximately 5% of total capital outlay per day?

That's a bit complicated and can depend on how you wish to weight your strategy.

Here is one example using your numbers:

Capital has accumulated to $2,000.
bank=$2000

Pick 3RACES = Your 3 best win selections. These wagers are all built around your 3 best win selections on top.

3% of total bank goes to the 'WIN' column or $60 or $20 to Win on each pick.

WIN = $20Race1 , $20R2 , $20R3
example $20 win on :1:

0.75% of total bank goes to the 'ROUND ROBIN' column or $15 or $5 WinParlay on each pick series.

ROUND ROBIN = Race1&Race2($5win race1 to be parlayed into race2), R1&R3(a separate $5win on race1 to be parlayed into race3), R2,R3(a separate $5win on race2 to be parlayed into race3)

0.6% of total bank goes to the EXACTA column or $12 or $2 exacta WinHorse over 2PlaceContenders for each race = $4 per race or $12 total
example $2 exacta :1: over the :2::3:

0.3% of total bank goes to the TRIFECTA column or $6 or 50cent trifecta WinHorse over 2PlaceContenders over 3ShowContenders for each race = $2 per race or $6 total
example 50cent tri :1: over the :2::3: over the :2::3::4:

0.3% of total bank goes to the SUPERFECTA column or $6 or 10cent superfecta WinHorse over 2PlaceContenders over 3ShowContenders over 7fourthContenders for each race = $2 per race or $6 total
example 10cent super :1: over the :2::3: over the :2::3::4: over the :2::3::4::5::6::7::8:

Total = 4.95% of Bankroll or $99 total capital outlay.

This is just an example using the information you provided. You may want to play around with it.

limit2
03-26-2014, 04:15 AM
This idea seems to come up occasionally. The "Racing Gods" have no concept of time. They don't know if the last winner they granted you was today or last week. A good bet is a good bet, regardless of what day it is, or whether you already won a bet in the last 24 hours..........Yes, 2 or more wins can occur in a given day. However, it has been my experience that I am a loser more often than not if I try for more than 1 winner a day. I see my daily profit reduced and consequently my ROI over the long haul negated. I believe I am not good enough, as a long shot player, to attempt more than 1 winner a day.

limit2
03-26-2014, 04:46 AM
Thanks! It was kind of you to break down $100 a day outlay for portfolio play. If I ever accumulate $2.000 capital I will be in business to use a portfolio of wager types, I am thinking of up to 4 races a day at 1 racetrack and stopping at the first winner of any kind. The Wager Matrix is to look like: Races 1-4 with Win slot in mind; Races 1-2 of every day with Round Robin in mind; Races 2-3 with Exactas in mind; Race 3 with Trifecta in mind and Race 4 with Super in mind. The %'s: 52% Win.....8% Round Robin......26% Exacta.....6% Trifecta and 8% super. It is a matter of experimenting to come up with the best allocation of funds.

therussmeister
03-26-2014, 11:47 AM
.........Yes, 2 or more wins can occur in a given day. However, it has been my experience that I am a loser more often than not if I try for more than 1 winner a day. I see my daily profit reduced and consequently my ROI over the long haul negated. I believe I am not good enough, as a long shot player, to attempt more than 1 winner a day.
You would also see your daily profit, and long term ROI, reduced from all the bets you make each day before your first winner, but of course you don't know when your first winner will be, just as do you not know when your next winner will be. That is just like thinking, "Since I rarely win two consecutive bets, after a winner, I will pass my next scheduled bet." It sounds good, but in the long run it will have no effect on your win percentage, or increase the probability of winning two consecutive bets.

Robert Fischer
03-26-2014, 12:18 PM
Thanks! It was kind of you to break down $100 a day outlay for portfolio play. If I ever accumulate $2.000 capital I will be in business to use a portfolio of wager types, I am thinking of up to 4 races a day at 1 racetrack and stopping at the first winner of any kind. The Wager Matrix is to look like: Races 1-4 with Win slot in mind; Races 1-2 of every day with Round Robin in mind; Races 2-3 with Exactas in mind; Race 3 with Trifecta in mind and Race 4 with Super in mind. The %'s: 52% Win.....8% Round Robin......26% Exacta.....6% Trifecta and 8% super. It is a matter of experimenting to come up with the best allocation of funds.

No problem.

While I tried to provide an example that related to the details of your post, I do want to say that it was constructed as a related example, and not a suggested method.

My theory is that as a starting point I would recommend that you start with whatever 1 specific wager provides you the best combination of value and hit%. Often that will be the win wager. I believe in focusing on that wager, and occasionally stretching it into vertical(exactas,tris,supers), or horizontal(doubles,round-robins, pick3s...) when the value in those wagers jumps off the page.