PDA

View Full Version : Silky Sullivan phenomenon

cashmachine
03-22-2014, 07:50 PM
I read somewhere about "Silky Sullivan phenomenon". It states the following: certain horses are either win a race OR do not finish in the money at all. What do you guys think about it? Based on your experience, do you think it is true?

Overlay
03-22-2014, 08:19 PM
I always thought that references to Silky Sullivan dealt more with running style than with finish position, describing a horse that was usually far off the pace or behind the field in the early stages of a race, and that depended on a prolonged drive to catch the rest of the field in the latter stages of the race (regardless of where it might end up actually finishing).

(There's a separate thread already started a little farther down the board on horses that either win or run last.)

cashmachine
03-22-2014, 08:22 PM
(There's a separate thread already started a little farther down the board on horses that either win or run last.)

Can you please post a link to that thread?

Overlay
03-22-2014, 08:28 PM
http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=111830

cashmachine
03-22-2014, 08:29 PM
Thank you!

TJDave
03-23-2014, 02:09 AM
My friend's father trained Silky. He said Silky had a breathing problem. He would take a huge gulp of air and then start his run. Remarkable, if true.

v j stauffer
03-23-2014, 02:24 AM
My friend's father trained Silky. He said Silky had a breathing problem. He would take a huge gulp of air and then start his run. Remarkable, if true.

Silky broke his maiden at Hollywood Park. George Tanaguchi up.

Ocala Mike
03-23-2014, 12:43 PM
Then there's the Jacques Who phenomenon, named after a horse who amassed a huge number of place finishes before, I think, finally breaking his maiden. He ran in NY, a decade or two after Silky Sullivan who I believe ran in the late 50's.

cashmachine
03-23-2014, 04:31 PM
I think that there is important difference between the definition of phenomenon that I and Ocala Mike use here and that other people used in the thread mentioned by Overlay earlier. Here we talk about particular horses, between the lines assuming that phenomenon is a stable characteristics of particular horse, hence the naming of phenomena by names of horses. In the other thread people talk about class of horses, assuming that any horse can show this phenomenon when she is in certain circumstances (e.g. dropped in class or after long layout). Out of two, which one is the correct way to state the problem?