PDA

View Full Version : Jets Sign Vick!!!

JustRalph
03-21-2014, 08:24 PM
http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/10648890/new-york-jets-reach-deal-michael-vick

5 Million, one year.

Doggone, that Rex Ryan knows how to make the press happy............ :lol:

Sanchez is done

horses4courses
03-21-2014, 08:55 PM
He82NBjJqf8

reckless
03-22-2014, 05:14 AM
I know Vick may never get a reprieve on past crimes and I understand why ....

But, he has been a relatively good citizen during his stay with the Eagles and a very respected model team mate.

He was the one guy that kept the team together and prevented the Riley Cooper situation from exploding.

All that said, Vick's signing tells me that the Jets seem to have lost faith in Geno Smith.

Come camp time, Vick will win the starting QB job. He might not be a long termer but he can still play and he'll win the job over Smith just like he did last year with the Eagles over Nick Foles before getting hurt.

Robert Goren
03-22-2014, 07:33 AM
He'll win the starters job, will start 3 games, get hurt and never start for the Jets again. It will be back to square one after a fourth of the season. Dumb move for the Jets. It is another wasted year at QB for the Jets.

BELMONT 6-6-09
03-22-2014, 08:06 AM
Vick will be hurt the majority of the season and the beat goes on for the Jets one wrong decision and then another.

Valuist
03-22-2014, 09:35 AM
I think we all saw enough of Geno Smith to see he is NOT the answer. One year $5 million? Thats nothing for a QB today. Seems like a low risk investment. Of course, they will have to live with Geno or Sanchez once Vick gets hurt. And that will happen, because it always happens.

BELMONT 6-6-09
03-22-2014, 09:54 AM
I think we all saw enough of Geno Smith to see he is NOT the answer. One year $5 million? Thats nothing for a QB today. Seems like a low risk investment. Of course, they will have to live with Geno or Sanchez once Vick gets hurt. And that will happen, because it always happens.

Sanchez is out.

GaryG
03-22-2014, 10:27 AM
Now they are screwed. Vick will be the starter until he is hurt and then back to the proverbial square one. Smith has the unfortunate combination of very modest ability and a diva personality. Looks like a long season for Rexy unless they draft a good qb.

JustRalph
03-22-2014, 01:43 PM
Don't worry, they can pick up Romo for 2015. He'll be on the street by then.

mountainman
03-24-2014, 03:57 PM
http://espn.go.com/new-york/nfl/story/_/id/10648890/new-york-jets-reach-deal-michael-vick

Sanchez is done

Any hope this puts the ridiculous term "game manager" to rest? Why not just say the guy can't play? Or, the best his team hopes for is that the opposing defense doesn't score?

How silly it was when the jets were winning on three field goals and Sanchez was called a good "game manager." Like his glaring ineptitude wouldn't be exposed and bite them at some point.

And there's a huge difference between just being a bad quarterback and actually lacking the requisite professional skills. Sanchez was never a pro-calber qb..not for a season, set of downs, or even one snap.

Stillriledup
03-24-2014, 04:58 PM
I know Vick may never get a reprieve on past crimes and I understand why ....

But, he has been a relatively good citizen during his stay with the Eagles and a very respected model team mate.

He was the one guy that kept the team together and prevented the Riley Cooper situation from exploding.

All that said, Vick's signing tells me that the Jets seem to have lost faith in Geno Smith.

Come camp time, Vick will win the starting QB job. He might not be a long termer but he can still play and he'll win the job over Smith just like he did last year with the Eagles over Nick Foles before getting hurt.

He served his time in jail, he's paid his dues to society, he has a reprieve as far as most are concerned.

Stillriledup
03-24-2014, 04:59 PM
Any hope this puts the ridiculous term "game manager" to rest? Why not just say the guy can't play? Or, the best his team hopes for is that the opposing defense doesn't score?

How silly it was when the jets were winning on three field goals and Sanchez was called a good "game manager." Like his glaring ineptitude wouldn't be exposed and bite them at some point.

And there's a huge difference between just being a bad quarterback and actually lacking the requisite professional skills. Sanchez was never a pro-calber qb..not for a season, set of downs, or even one snap.

Be interesting to see if Mark gets a new lease on life...and not with a dog and pony show like the Jets have. Someone might bring him in once injuries start to pile up, he needs to keep himself in shape and be ready for the phone call.

Robert Goren
03-25-2014, 08:30 AM
Even if Vick doesn't get hurt right away, how many turnovers will Rex put with before benching him. Vick has a hard time being on the winning side since the league figured out that if they take away the left side of the field, he is a turnover machine. Force him to run and throw to his right side and good things will happen for the defense.

Rookies
03-25-2014, 08:34 AM
How is it that there are buffoon teams like this in the NFL and yet mine can never do things right to make the Playoffs? :bang:

ManU918
03-25-2014, 08:38 AM
Even if Vick doesn't get hurt right away, how many turnovers will Rex put with before benching him. Vick has a hard time being on the winning side since the league figured out that if they take away the left side of the field, he is a turnover machine. Force him to run and throw to his right side and good things will happen for the defense.

So you would start Geno Smith?

Valuist
03-25-2014, 10:09 AM
Smith has the unfortunate combination of very modest ability and a diva personality.

Kind of reminds me of that Dean Wormer line from Animal House:

"Fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go thru life, son."

Neither is being a diva with very modest (and thats being kind) ability.

Robert Goren
03-25-2014, 10:25 AM
So you would start Geno Smith?They released a better QB than either of them and he wasn't very good either. They are going to have to start Smith most of year anyway, so why not from the start? Vick is very bad QB who shows a few flashes from time to time. He fools people into thinking he has some talent.

Valuist
03-25-2014, 11:19 AM
They released a better QB than either of them and he wasn't very good either. They are going to have to start Smith most of year anyway, so why not from the start? Vick is very bad QB who shows a few flashes from time to time. He fools people into thinking he has some talent.

Vick isn't short on talent. He's actually quite long on talent. His problem has been being erratic and injury prone. I will be surprised if he starts more than 12 games for the Jets because he always gets hurt.

Robert Fischer
03-25-2014, 12:09 PM
Vick is not a General Manager, Scout, or a decision maker in regards to current players on the roster, - so he isn't going to help or harm this incompetent franchise in any significant way.

He does bring a little bit of fan excitement, which works pretty well in the New York market. They are a topic on the sports media, and we are talking about it online.
I think he's getting something like 5? million for 1 year, and his media value should make that investment profitable.

mountainman
03-25-2014, 12:15 PM
In my opinion, both Smith and Sanchez lack professional-caliber passing skills. It's far beyond being subpar. Neither guy belongs in the pros.

Robert Fischer
03-25-2014, 12:33 PM
In my opinion, both Smith and Sanchez lack professional-caliber passing skills. It's far beyond being subpar. Neither guy belongs in the pros.

Yea, I don't understand how a competent football franchise can invest years and years into these guys.

I could kind of understand grooming Smith to be a long-term backup(although his talent is even questionable in that role).
Under the right circumstances I could see Smith developing into a player who could step in for 1 or 2 games when the starter was out, who could hold the huddle together, and who the players would play hard for.

Robert Goren
03-25-2014, 12:46 PM
Vick isn't short on talent. He's actually quite long on talent. His problem has been being erratic and injury prone. I will be surprised if he starts more than 12 games for the Jets because he always gets hurt. We disagree on that. Plus 12 games is a pipe dream. I Put the over/under at 5 games.

ManU918
03-25-2014, 01:05 PM
They released a better QB than either of them and he wasn't very good either. They are going to have to start Smith most of year anyway, so why not from the start? Vick is very bad QB who shows a few flashes from time to time. He fools people into thinking he has some talent.

Are you trying to say Mark Sanchez is better than Michael Vick?

Valuist
03-25-2014, 01:06 PM
We disagree on that. Plus 12 games is a pipe dream. I Put the over/under at 5 games.

I equate talent with God given skills. He has a powerful arm, and while he may have lost a step, he's still very fast. 12 games is probably at the high end. I would expect Geno to still get plenty of playing time.

The Jets added Decker and they desperately needed a WR.

elysiantraveller
03-25-2014, 10:23 PM
Vick isn't short on talent. He's actually quite long on talent. His problem has been being erratic and injury prone. I will be surprised if he starts more than 12 games for the Jets because he always gets hurt.

I want to start with the fact I didn't watch any Jets football last season, who would want to? I'm also willing to admit that Vick is injury prone but I have watched a lot of Eagles football over the past few seasons. I don't think the Kelly offense is a good fit for Vick and the late Andy Reid years that O-line was so bad anyone other than Jay Cutler would be considered "injury prone" playing for that Eagles squad. Now I admit to knowing nothing about the Jets O-line but I think behind a good one Vick could be good to upper level quarterback for at least the decent part of the season.

For $5 mil I don't think its necessarily a bad move to take a stab at maybe catching lightening in a bottle.