PDA

View Full Version : Router Problem

HUSKER55
03-20-2014, 10:25 PM
My wireless connectin has become very unstable. I have had the repair man out here several time but as always, the ping tests always come back in good shape and the last time the guy went outside and shot a signal thru the lines back to the base. Came back OK.

I have the basic Linsky"s E1200.

Have any of you had similiar problems? Any ideas? I have a guy coming sunday who does the work for the local college. If he doesn't have any ideas I guess I am SOL.

Thanks guys and gals!

Longshot6977
03-20-2014, 11:57 PM
Can you elaborate on 'connection has become very unstable"? You lose the connection? Or the speed drops? or something else?

Next time it happens, try this site to test your speed.

http://www.speakeasy.net/speedtest/

Are you seeing it just when sending wireless print jobs? Only when using the internet? Was the PC moved recently and now there's a wall between the router and PC?

HUSKER55
03-21-2014, 03:43 AM
I get a lot of messages such as , website unavailable right now, or sometimes when I am at the track it freezes, when mary tries to work on ebay it slows down to a crawl and times out.

When the damn thing works, it flies. How do I know this? it doesn't do it very often so it is memorable.

raybo
03-21-2014, 10:24 AM
Sounds like you're having intermittent internet problems, not router problems, but in your last post you mention it freezing "at the track". Just wondering what a router has to do with being at the track?

JustRalph
03-21-2014, 12:29 PM
Unplug the thing for 30 seconds then plug it back in.

If that doesn't fix it. Wait for college boy

If that does fix it, you might have to reset it more often. Who's the cable service?

DRIVEWAY
03-21-2014, 02:20 PM
My wireless connectin has become very unstable. I have had the repair man out here several time but as always, the ping tests always come back in good shape and the last time the guy went outside and shot a signal thru the lines back to the base. Came back OK.

I have the basic Linsky"s E1200.

Have any of you had similiar problems? Any ideas? I have a guy coming sunday who does the work for the local college. If he doesn't have any ideas I guess I am SOL.

Thanks guys and gals!

1) Do you have the latest firmware for this router?
2) What level of internet service do you have available and at what level are you operating?
3) What is the age of all of your equipment? Anything 4+years is subject to intermitant failure.
4) Do you have surge protectors?

Your reference to trouble at the track may point to the device in use.

Remember the more memory a device has the better the throughput tends to be.

My quess:

The device you took to the track has limitations.
The router does not have the latest firmware.
The speed of the internet is either compromised by other users in the neighborhood and/or the limitations of the devices you are using.
Time of day - after school, after diner are peak periods of internet contention. Do your slowdowns coincide.

Don't spend any money until you've researched all of the options.
Challenge the college kid with these questions.

Good Luck

JustRalph
03-21-2014, 03:52 PM
one question......... what changed? I assume it worked well before?

If so, what has changed........ and is it only a problem on one device? or all of them?

HUSKER55
03-21-2014, 04:09 PM
tHE ROUTER is about 6 months old and in the beginning, [last october], it worked fine. We had a very lousy winter and they replaced the outside cables once, and ever since that time it doesn't seem to work right. I have had 4 tecs up here and the last one spent an hour checing out the modem and said he could not check the router because it wasn't TWC and he wasn't going to risk his job fixing my router which they aren't responsible for.

Mary's grand daughter came over and reset it and used the disc to restart the thing and Linsky's home page came up and download the new program. Then it said they had 2 very important updates which she down loaded and it seems to work a little better. The download is 22.28 and the upload is 2.28 from washington dc according to Lindky's web page.

You guys are right on one point. When the grandkids are home and in the evenings is when it really gets bad.

The man that is coming over is a friends of Mary who works in the IT department at a local college.

I am hoping it is just a setup issue.

Today I went thru twinspires and played TBD and the blessed thing froze on me twice. I have no clue because during the day no one is home except for me.

Thank you guys and gals for all of your input. I will let you know how it turns out.

JustRalph
03-21-2014, 04:26 PM
is this only a problem on one computer, or all of them?

HUSKER55
03-21-2014, 06:06 PM
all of them.

Longshot6977
03-21-2014, 08:24 PM
or sometimes when I am at the track it freezes, when mary tries to work on ebay it slows down to a crawl and times out.

This may be the key to the whole 'connection' issue you think you may have. Since it freezes at the track, it should have nothing to do with your cable/router wiring. Unless it's just a coincidence that it craps out at the track for another reason.

The laptop (laptop, correct?) may need to have the browser upgraded or just try another browser. The laptop may need more RAM. The cable service may also get overloaded at certain times of the day like when kids all get home from school and jump on the internet. You need to eliminate some things. No one can really 'fix' the issue until you understand the limitations and exactly the circumstances it happens under. Not trying to be a balloon buster, just trying to get you to think more about your issue. Maybe the college kid will see what's going on, hopefully. :)

JustRalph
03-21-2014, 09:56 PM
If you can, have the guy from college hook up his laptop or whatever and see how it performs

raybo
03-21-2014, 11:29 PM
I suspect that the laptop needs some help on the wireless side. And, for the "at home" problems, it's probably the router unless it's new. Mine is an older Netgear and does the same thing his is doing, drops the connection from time to time, even though it doesn't show that the internet has been lost. I unplug the router for 20 seconds and plug it back in. If the internet signal is strong and consistent, then the router probably should be replaced.

HUSKER55
03-22-2014, 02:14 PM
my computer is a desktop and I meant when I go on the internet to go to a track that after awhile it will freeze for no reason.

raybo
03-22-2014, 06:58 PM
my computer is a desktop and I meant when I go on the internet to go to a track that after awhile it will freeze for no reason.

Ok, that clears things a bit. If more than one home PC does this, and your internet connection is good and consistent, then the problem is with the router. Mine is older and does the same thing that yours does, I need to replace it with new one.

HUSKER55
03-28-2014, 09:16 AM
sorry I took so long to get back here.

#1. the set up was wrong. He opened up the command page and changed some of the timer sections and it helped. I do not understand as this is so far past me but somehow the default settings were for a laptop and kept timing out on me. I have an AMD AGP6 and it misread the processor.

He went to their website and made a phone call and changed the settings and it works alot better than it did.

That part of the problem was me.

#2 Time Warners bandwidth flucuates really bad here in Milwaukee. I was receiving 23.6 and 45 minutes later I was down to 7.5. According to him TWC is trying to fix that problem but have not isolated it yet. Another one I don't get.

#3 The best fix is to hardwire the computers. Where we live our house is a tri level so wifi was an easy solution.

Guess what our next project is? [damn it!]

#4 I had set up a guest login so the grandkids could do their school work and use the internet. You guessed it. I screwed that up and they were on mine.

I promise I will never mess with this stuff again. I promise. :rolleyes:

Seriously.....never again.....well...maybe a little..... :D

Longshot6977
03-29-2014, 12:28 PM
[QUOTE=HUSKER55]
That part of the problem was me....... You guessed it. I screwed that up and they were on mine.

I promise I will never mess with this stuff again. I promise. :rolleyes: /QUOTE]