PDA

View Full Version : The daily racing advantage

sam i am
04-10-2004, 11:28 AM
has any one seen "the daily racing advantage" it looks a lot like the DRF (newspaper format)it is now being sold at my local supermarket in place of the daily racing form. I didn't get a chance to look at it closely ( I was chasing my 3yo daughter when I saw it).

thanks,

David

andicap
04-11-2004, 09:01 PM
Daily Racing Advance it is.

Similar to DRF but no Beyers (some Equibase speed number that you get in simulcast programs.)

$3 now, $4 soon.
With charts that have individual horses fractions. Has a good number of tracks.

Nothing fancy, but seems decent if you don't use Beyers.

sam i am
04-11-2004, 09:27 PM
Thanks,

do you now who writes for them?

PaceAdvantage
04-11-2004, 10:10 PM
Nobody writes for them....no articles.

takeout
04-12-2004, 12:13 AM
Who puts it out?

Fastracehorse
04-12-2004, 03:05 AM
Is that speed # along the lines of the Sheets or the Beyer??

Thanx,

fffastt

andicap
04-12-2004, 01:02 PM
Sports Eye puts it out. Same people who did that small $3 book that included abridged PPs from almost every track. This has fewer tracks, but they are more complete and easier to read and have charts.
I think the old program was called the "Daily Racing Program"

andicap
04-12-2004, 01:03 PM
Originally posted by Fastracehorse@DRF
Is that speed # along the lines of the Sheets or the Beyer??

Thanx,

fffastt

Neither, although closer to Beyers, but not really corrolates with it. I think its closer to BRIS figs, but again not the same I believe. (could be wrong on BRIS. For all I know it could be a TSN speed fig, not sure).

Zman179
04-12-2004, 06:58 PM
Nah, it's the regular Equibase speed figure and it doesn't match Bris' or DRF's speed figures (I've compared).

I've personally found that Equibase's speed figures aren't worth the paper they're printed on. The Daily Racing Program/Advance is great to use if you just need pp's, but dreadful if you need decent speed figs.

Speed Figure
04-12-2004, 07:01 PM
Originally posted by Zman179
Nah, it's the regular Equibase speed figure and it doesn't match Bris' or DRF's speed figures (I've compared).

I've personally found that Equibase's speed figures aren't worth the paper they're printed on. The Daily Racing Program/Advance is great to use if you just need pp's, but dreadful if you need decent speed figs.
Your right about that! Those speed figures suck.

Fastracehorse
04-13-2004, 03:55 PM
Well,

If I listen to you 2, and I think I'm going to, then I'm not missing out on much.

BTW you 2,

Which speed figs do you like the best and why??

I like the Beyer.

fffastt

cj
04-13-2004, 03:59 PM
I like the Beyers as well, if for no other reason than I know exactly how they are made. I think the biggest weakness I am finding in the Beyers is in comparing performances from vastly different circuits. I'm just not convinced the comparisons the Beyer guys do to equate the circuits is effective.

One thing that has crossed my mind, mostly because I suck in Kentucky and it has the most liberal medication policies, is that varying mediction rules in the differing states make it nearly an impossible task. Am I way off track here?

Zman179
04-13-2004, 06:32 PM
Personally, I like both the Bris and Beyer figs for different reasons.

I like the Bris ratings because they're a raw number rigidly set by a computer and then I can make my little additions/subtractions according to my handicapping style. Bad thing about them though is that they're unreliable at rarely run distances like 1 5/8 miles or 4 1/2 furlongs at say Aqueduct. In those cases, the figs are without question artificially inflated.

I also like the Beyer figures because they're a very accurate tool to use and they're compiled by hand so as to take into account slight nuances with track surfaces and other things. Bad thing is that they also take into account weight (which I'm personally not a fan of) and they can be practically useless at cheaper tracks like Finger Lakes where more than half of the lines will say -0.

Not a fan of TSN figures (50¢ a card, you get what you pay for), Equibase figures (pure schlock) nor Ragozin/Thorograph figures (overrated, overpriced and not much of an advantage by using them since most of the heavy bettors use them).

Fastracehorse
04-14-2004, 04:00 AM
<Am I way off track here?

+++++++++++++++++++++++

No CJ, your not - at least IMHO.

I've often said that handicapping Ky is like being on another planet - and I know medication plays a part in this.

I've noticed a difference between NY tracks and Calif. also - because of Bute.

Interesting that you are a speed fig player and you notice medication plays havoc with them - I have a few working theories with med'n and stimulants - fascinating game.

fffastt

cj
04-14-2004, 04:48 AM
I also like the Beyer figures because they're a very accurate tool to use and they're compiled by hand so as to take into account slight nuances with track surfaces and other things. Bad thing is that they also take into account weight (which I'm personally not a fan of) and they can be practically useless at cheaper tracks like Finger Lakes where more than half of the lines will say -0.

One comment, one question:

C: Beyers definitely do not take weight into account.

Q: How many horses with a < 0 actually win? Would you bet a horse because he had a -20 Beyer as opposed to a horse with a -25?

Zman179
04-14-2004, 06:04 AM
C: I recall reading about Beyer figures taking weight differences between the horses in a race into account. I haven't the time to look for it now since I've got to go to work, but I'll look for it later....if someone else isn't kind enough to look for an explanation of the Beyer figures.

A: You've never bet Finger Lakes before have you? :D

Tom
04-14-2004, 12:25 PM
Those Zero Beyer numbers at Finger Lakes....we call them Beyer-bagels. Time to go get a cup of coffee and wait for the next race.
;)

Fastracehorse
04-14-2004, 08:44 PM
Those Beyer bagels could actually be + #'s - with an adjustment.

How +, I haven't an answer - but you could see how there could be value the odd time.

fffastt

Tom
04-14-2004, 08:56 PM
fffastt,
In the words of the immortal Billy Preston, "Nuthin' from nuthin' leaves nuthin!"

Actually, in my speed chart for Finger Lakes that I make my variants from goes to Beyer numbers as low as -50 for all distances. And sometimes, I have to interpolate a lower number for the raw Beyers. You know a FL race is slow if the ambulance is blowing it's horn at the field as they turn for home! :D

Niko
04-14-2004, 09:06 PM
Kentucky, especially Turfway and Keeneland produce some very weird figures for horses. I always throw out top numbers for horses at those tracks and it produces some great bet against with low odds horses. If those horses go back to that track they can do it again, it's got to be something in the oats. I don't go for the horse for course theory because of the exagerated figs compared to other horse for course candidates.
I'm not a great physicality handicapper but it's always fascinated me when I watch the horses at Keeneland when they show them first entering the track as opposed to other tracks. I prefer calm horses or on their toes and bet against nervous horses. At Keeneland they're all dancing?
Not sure why or what to make of it..

Zman179
04-14-2004, 09:18 PM
Good ol' Finger Lakes. Wow, I've been playing that track ever since I've started playing horses back in 1982 when NYCOTB had no WPS wagering and only offered Quinella wagering on every race, except the 2nd which only offered Trifecta wagering (all were separate pools then).

I remember one time at FL when a $4000 maiden claimer won a race and got a Beyer number of 3.

Tom
04-14-2004, 09:28 PM
Good ol' Finger Lakes. Wow, I've been playing that track ever since I've started playing horses back in 1982 when NYCOTB had no WPS wagering and only offered Quinella wagering on every race, except the 2nd which only offered Trifecta wagering (all were separate pools then).

I remember one time at FL when a $4000 maiden claimer won a race and got a Beyer number of 3.

HOY!