PDA

View Full Version : Health Care For All

cj's dad
03-19-2014, 03:36 PM
This is not anecdotal but a reality story as it is happening to me.

I was furloughed from my job on March 8-2013. The company paid me 1 hour per week/2 hours per pay period. This amount covered my bi-weekly health care insurance co-pay. In late September I received a letter from my employer stating that as of 10-1 I was going to lay-off status and would not be covered by health care. I was also told that I would receive a letter detailing my options under COBRA. I received the letter in mid- December. The cost was $500+ per month. I could not afford that. In January I applied for Medicare Part B. The SSA agent told me this could take up to 60 days to process.I explained to him that I was waiting for my COBRA letter to decide. I sent a copy of all correspondence between myself, my employer and COBRA. I received my new card on Friday 3-14. The effective date of my part B coverage is July 1, 2014. I will be 3 1/2 months without Dr's coverage.

Today I called SSA and spoke to an agent who explained about open enrollment periods and how they work. She was more concerned that I did not have health care insurance form 10/1 through January when I applied for plan B. I explained that I was waiting to see what my options were under COBRA so that I could decide which way to go. She said that I may be fined for not being covered, yet the gov't is so concerned about my welfare that I will not be covered until July 1.

This isn't about health care, it's all about $$$

Saratoga_Mike
03-19-2014, 04:44 PM
I assume you're 65 or older? You have Medicare Part A (basic hospitalization and certain other srvs)?

cj's dad
03-19-2014, 09:25 PM
Yes I have part A since the month I was born as of the 1st of the month; i:e 4-1-2013

This thing has turned into a nightmare !I assume you're 65 or older? You have Medicare Part A (basic hospitalization and certain other srvs)?

Robert Goren
03-20-2014, 08:38 AM
Yes I have part A since the month I was born as of the 1st of the month; i:e 4-1-2013

This thing has turned into a nightmare !I feel for you. Everybody I know who was eligible for COBRA had sticker shock.
I am afraid this going to happen to everybody who works beyond the age of 65 and doesn't take the complete Medicare package at age 65. It takes time to get sign up for Medicare. That is unlikely to change. Something to think about if you are about to turn 65.

JustRalph
03-20-2014, 11:12 AM
When the same people who run the DMV are running health care, people get left out.......just like the DMV

davew
04-14-2014, 10:49 PM
Good luck in not getting sick, having an accident, or needing to see a doctor during next 3 months :ThmbUp: