PDA

View Full Version : National Racing Report, 3-17

cj
03-17-2014, 01:50 PM
http://vimeo.com/89319107

PhantomOnTour
03-17-2014, 02:06 PM
Excellent show.
I'm surprised that HRTV or TVG doesn't have a comprehensive review show like this.
I know HRTV airs the NRR, but a show like this can be done almost on a daily basis...sort of like a HorseCenter, if you will. It's great that the NRR airs twice a week, but HRTV only shows one, right?
With all the tracks running it seems a 30min show would easily have enough substance to make it go.
Have a guy in the major circuits like NY (Andy), Florida and SoCal & do recaps of the local action.

the little guy
03-17-2014, 02:29 PM
The other NRR is a handicapping show, so it doesn't have much of a shelf life.

We are making changes to our nightly replay show " In 30 " airing on MSG Plus which will make it much more relevant. It's still a work in progress, with the changes expected to go into place around mid May, but expect us to highlight the more interesting races of the day, but also add handicapping segments for the following day's races, as well as some features and race previews.

Replay shows were great 20 or more years ago, but with the availability of replays on the internet, we feel we can ( and will ) offer a great deal more to our customers going forward.

TravisVOX
03-17-2014, 02:51 PM

We are making changes to our nightly replay show " In 30 " airing on MSG Plus which will make it much more relevant. It's still a work in progress, with the changes expected to go into place around mid May, but expect us to highlight the more interesting races of the day, but also add handicapping segments for the following day's races, as well as some features and race previews.

Replay shows were great 20 or more years ago, but with the availability of replays on the internet, we feel we can ( and will ) offer a great deal more to our customers going forward.

Love this idea, great concept.

Stillriledup
03-17-2014, 05:23 PM
Love this idea, great concept.

Msg in 30 shows races in HD and if you have a big screen tv, it looks fantastic and you can really see a lot. If they "Cut" some races to show other stuff, a player would have to access the internet to see a replay, they would have to watch on a 17 inch monitor (or smaller) which is not as good as watching on your big screen tv and i dont even know if the races online (Calracing, NYRA.com etc) are in HD, i know that you can watch NYRA races on the "in 30" show on MSG plus in HD but on the internet, they're not nearly as clear.

I would imagine that players who are serious about their betting are going to DVR the "in 30" show so they can refer back to it while doing their handicapping and they don't really want to see a race and then see the slow motion replay of the stretch run that they've already seen and already have on DVR while the host gives his opinion.

Personally, i would prefer to see as much original content as possible and cutting the final race (which they do on more than 1 occasion) and just showing the stretch run so you can show the slow motion of the stretch run of the feature race (for example) while talking about it isnt something that i would rather see. But, maybe viewers are e mailing the show and saying to show more slow motions and give more commentary, if that's the case, than the show has to do what's best for the majority of their customers.

Tom
03-17-2014, 05:53 PM
I love the In 30 show, but unfortunately, they preempt for Sabers hockey all too often ( once is all to often!)

New format sounds good - kind like when Harvey used have 45 minutes and a guest.

Stillriledup
03-17-2014, 06:18 PM
I love the In 30 show, but unfortunately, they preempt for Sabers hockey all too often ( once is all to often!)

New format sounds good - kind like when Harvey used have 45 minutes and a guest.

It would be great if the current show can expand to 45 or an hour, that would be awesome.

As far as Harvey Pack goes, my favorite guest used to be Tony Demucci. :D

whodoyoulike
03-17-2014, 11:32 PM
http://vimeo.com/89319107

Thanks for the link. I've joined now how do you view other dates? Can one view prior dates? I checked the follow bar. Thanks,

JustRalph
03-17-2014, 11:45 PM

Up on vimeo ? For those of us who can't get MSG?

Robert Fischer
03-18-2014, 01:07 AM
Expert analysis, joy to watch.

fmolf
03-18-2014, 07:39 AM
Does anyone else experience this problem after watching one of these shows ,such as the ones on hrtv and tvg....I have found that after watching one of these shows i am biased when looking at the pp's for the races discussed.I try not to think this way but i still find their opinions creeping into my handicapping.

classhandicapper
03-18-2014, 10:03 AM
Does anyone else experience this problem after watching one of these shows ,such as the ones on hrtv and tvg....I have found that after watching one of these shows i am biased when looking at the pp's for the races discussed.I try not to think this way but i still find their opinions creeping into my handicapping.

Funny you bring that up, but I was thinking the exact same thing yesterday.

I was reminded of one of Warren Buffett's rationales for living in a small town far away from Wall St. He wants to help ensure independent thought. That's not going to happen if he's bombarded with the opinions coming from Wall St every day.

It's not just TV shows. It's reading anything others are saying about specific horses, trips, and races. Insights from other experienced handicappers can help point out things you may have missed. But the flip side is that their views can creep into your own thinking and drag you to the consensus.

There's not much value in group think.

IMO the best part of these shows is educating new fans and bringing the sport to the public. On that front, this show is as good as it gets.

Robert Fischer
03-18-2014, 11:59 AM
I primarily have to watch out for two things: 1-We both love the same thing for the same reason and I have to avoid overvaluing that insight. or 2-We completely disagree about something and I have to avoid overvaluing that difference in opinion.

I like to hear what good handicappers think about a race.

JustRalph
03-18-2014, 02:08 PM

Never have this problem. I think those two guys are probably the best around at watching races, but you have to see for yourself sometimes. It's rare for me to disagree with them, on something substantial, but you have to have your own confidence in what you are doing.

Let me put it this way. Have you ever heard an analyst say something about a race and thought they were way off base? I know I have. I don't let that opine interfere with what I see, the same thing applies to those you trust. It's all part of the big picture, but only part of it.

classhandicapper
03-18-2014, 03:00 PM
Let me put it this way. Have you ever heard an analyst say something about a race and thought they were way off base? I know I have. I don't let that opine interfere with what I see, the same thing applies to those you trust. It's all part of the big picture, but only part of it.

I think this is true if you feel certain of your opinion, but less so when it's something you aren't as familiar with.

If I thought the rail was bad and some influential handicapper disagreed I wouldn't care. In fact, I'd be happy because it might throw some bettors off my horse.

If someone said something about a workout, pedigree, or appearance it might have an influence on me because l don't have the skill or information to evaluate that well enough to be as confident. Then I might become the guy that someone else is hoping to bet against (unless of course I've grown to trust a specific person in areas where I am lacking).

Stillriledup
03-18-2014, 05:47 PM

If you do extensive handicapping and video race watching and formulate "industrial strength" opinions, you won't be swayed. The better your opinion is on a particular race, the less you get swayed when you hear someone else discuss that race.