almost famous
coastline
we miss artie
Pablo del monte
solitary ranger

probables I'm seeing nothing confirmed

letswastemoney
03-17-2014, 12:14 AM
We Miss Artie wins this one and then helps the Ramseys enter another overmatched horse in the Derby.

tanner12oz
03-17-2014, 06:25 AM
I kinda like him..has the pedigree and the resume to make it work on the poly

Leparoux
03-18-2014, 11:55 AM
Spiral winner has performed pretty well in the Derby in the last couple of tries (scratched last year). I'll be in attendance, can't wait!

taxicab
03-19-2014, 12:08 AM
I sure like the way Solitary Ranger took the Battaglia on the front end.
He was mixing it up with four others on the front end,they all stopped cold and SR just drew away like it was nothing.
The closers never threatened.
Scary good.
Anything close to that type of effort should be good enough on Saturday.

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/race/USA/TP/2014/3/1/10/john-battaglia-memorial-s

letswastemoney
03-19-2014, 12:38 AM
I sure like the way Solitary Ranger took the Battaglia on the front end.
He was mixing it up with four others on the front end,they all stopped cold and SR just drew away like it was nothing.
The closers never threatened.
Scary good.
Anything close to that type of effort should be good enough on Saturday.

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/race/USA/TP/2014/3/1/10/john-battaglia-memorial-s
The horses weren't as good in that race. This is the one where all the shippers come in, so it will be different quality he needs to duel with.

tanner12oz
03-19-2014, 08:51 AM
Tamarando has a pretty big class edge here

BIG49010
03-19-2014, 09:07 AM
The horses weren't as good in that race. This is the one where all the shippers come in, so it will be different quality he needs to duel with. Solitary Ranger just might be a freak, I'll give you my 2 cents, his race at the Fairgrounds was freaky good and almost impossible to put a figure on. It was the only race run on it's day, they ran one sprint the day before and no races after it for 5 days. On a turf course that has very few wire to wire winners, he won with ease. The race at Turfway was similar to the FG race where it was only 1 1/16 and went 47 112 2/5. Last years race went 48 1/5 113 151 4/5, and you would assume the track might be tightened up, so if he slows it down to that pace he might have a big finish in his tank

tanner12oz
03-19-2014, 07:29 PM
Kinda crummy card as a whole

Leparoux
03-19-2014, 07:53 PM
Kinda crummy card as a whole
Full fields of 12 for both of the graded stakes races and at least 8 in most of the others. Pretty solid.

JustRalph
03-19-2014, 08:03 PM
What's the best horse to come out of this race?

That Front Runner a few years back........can't recall his name.......?

Ran 2nd in the Derby I think.........?

tanner12oz
03-19-2014, 08:24 PM
Full fields of 12 for both of the graded stakes races and at least 8 in most of the others. Pretty solid.

quality over quantity? Evangeline has the greatest cards in north America?

dannyhill
03-19-2014, 08:44 PM

Animal Kingdom went on to win the derby.

uncbossfan
03-19-2014, 09:37 PM

Hard Spun is who you are thinking of. He was all guts all 3 tripe crown races.

This race lost some prestige in mid to late 2000's, but I read in late '90's it was the richest prep in the US. It also had a string of I believe 4 straight years of a horse from this race winning one of the Triple crown races.

As noted above, Animal Kingdom ran here a few yrs ago.

JustRalph
03-19-2014, 10:02 PM
That's it, Hard Spun :ThmbUp:

CincyHorseplayer
03-19-2014, 10:52 PM
Trying to remember the horse you guys were talking about I remember cheering like an idiot while being the only one on the 4th floor with a big win ticket on Balto Star at 6-1 winning by double digit lengths! :D

Robert Fischer
03-22-2014, 03:04 AM
All Tied Up - The play. Across the board and keyed in exotics.

Tamarando - I loved his effort last out. Figures to get a fast pace today. I'm a little bit worried about him bringing his A race, and also being well-bet by the public. Seems like a high% include type of horse.

Solitary Ranger - One of the speeds should stick around. Maybe he will. Has to clear from the gate.

Harry's Holiday - price is right to include.

precocity
03-22-2014, 06:15 AM
That's it, Hard Spun :ThmbUp:

that was my boy hard spun gritty horse! went the day well won it also and came in 4th in the derby. he was flying in at the end. don't give a dam who ever wins this race will have 15$ to win and place on him regardless if I like him or not in the derby. If he makes it.

turninforhome10
03-22-2014, 09:25 AM
Trying to remember the horse you guys were talking about I remember cheering like an idiot while being the only one on the 4th floor with a big win ticket on Balto Star at 6-1 winning by double digit lengths! :D
This was the Jim Beam that got me hooked on the Triple Crown. X5fnGfLsFIs

That was 20 years ago and my first serious triple crown series as a handicapper.
10 years ago Stewart Elliot became a name with Smarty Jones.
My Karma play of the day is Coastline, coast to coast welcoming Stewart to Ky. Then on to win the Bluegrass. Feel that the syth will make a big difference and that Casse will have the horse dead right after a brief stint in Ocala. I am gambling on the fact that he was not pushed in Hot Springs.
Going to the races today Cinc.They named a race after you

olddaddy
03-22-2014, 10:01 AM
Both stakes are large fields and wide open in my eyes. Many different angles to look at. In the 10th Ill box the :3: :10: :12: in ex and play them in dd's with the :1: :2: :5: 12 in the 11th. Ill play straights depending on the odds.

Ocala Mike
03-22-2014, 01:54 PM
Like the Reade Baker horse in the Spiral; think it's the :2: .

stillwater
03-22-2014, 06:06 PM
I think Almost Famous.

BlueChip@DRF
03-22-2014, 06:12 PM
:1: Big Bazinga
:8: Solitary Ranger

Nice odds, so I will dutch them with W on each and small EX box.

turninforhome10
03-22-2014, 06:16 PM
I challenge anyone in this forum to find any 3 yo of 2014 that is outcrossed as much as Solitary Ranger http://www.pedigreequery.com/solitary+ranger
Absolutely no duplication through 6 generations. He could be freak.

stillwater
03-22-2014, 06:42 PM
I think Almost Famous.

I am no longer allowed to think.

turninforhome10
03-22-2014, 06:44 PM
:ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: Nice Call and 7/2 was a decent price We Miss Artie wins this one and then helps the Ramseys enter another overmatched horse in the Derby.

CincyHorseplayer
03-22-2014, 07:25 PM
This was the Jim Beam that got me hooked on the Triple Crown. X5fnGfLsFIs

That was 20 years ago and my first serious triple crown series as a handicapper.
10 years ago Stewart Elliot became a name with Smarty Jones.
My Karma play of the day is Coastline, coast to coast welcoming Stewart to Ky. Then on to win the Bluegrass. Feel that the syth will make a big difference and that Casse will have the horse dead right after a brief stint in Ocala. I am gambling on the fact that he was not pushed in Hot Springs.
Going to the races today Cinc.They named a race after you

What?!They named a race after me?!I didn't go down there today.But I took a small shot with Asserting Bear.I was busy getting some payback at Gulfstream where I won 3 photos today(finally)!Tampa still did a number on me though.DQ in the 9th with a $100 exacta taken back.Was still live with the 10-1 to the next in the P3 only to get banged out.

menifee
03-22-2014, 07:36 PM
Wow that was a bad Spiral - Ramseys have their Derby horse, but that was a stagger fest in the lane.

tanner12oz
03-22-2014, 09:35 PM
I was alive to solitary ranger I'm the pick 5...if anyone shows in the derby from this they are an automatic toss

Tom
03-22-2014, 10:48 PM
Not the best I've ever seen.

letswastemoney
03-22-2014, 11:06 PM
:ThmbUp: :ThmbUp: Nice Call and 7/2 was a decent price
Thanks! I just figured if We Miss Artie could finish on even terms with Storming Inti, who had finished on even terms with Mr. Speaker, then that gave We Miss Artie the class advantage since Storming Inti and Mr Speaker are at a higher class than most of the Spiral field.

Tall One
03-22-2014, 11:11 PM
Wow that was a bad Spiral - Ramseys have their Derby horse, but that was a stagger fest in the lane.

I thought the same. Horse probably has NO business in the Derby, but they'll run him anyway. Synthetics and the lawn seems too be his forte. Prefer too see him this summer at Arlington or Woodbine, and Keeneland this fall...but with the Ramseys they'll probably run him in the Lexington. ;)

Probably wont include this 3yo in my Derby wagers if he goes. However, I had no problem putting 2 across the board on him and his return to the plastic today. :rolleyes:

letswastemoney
03-22-2014, 11:27 PM
The stats guide that luvalab gave out was also helpful. Before this race, the winner had prepped at Gulfstream 4 times in a row I think. Now, the winner of the Spiral has prepped at Gulfstream 5 times in a row.

Gulfstream racing around this time is pretty high quality on both dirt and turf, so the horses coming to Turfway from Gulfstream generally have been facing better horses.

PhantomOnTour
03-23-2014, 12:30 AM
Maybe it's just me, but every race on poly looks like a stagger fest in the lane.
The Bourbonette Oaks today was hilarious - I thought they were all going to fall down.

The horses look like they are spinning their wheels on that stuff.

classhandicapper
03-23-2014, 10:12 AM
Maybe it's just me, but every race on poly looks like a stagger fest in the lane.
The Bourbonette Oaks today was hilarious - I thought they were all going to fall down.

The horses look like they are spinning their wheels on that stuff.

I think the pace in both those races was pretty hot (especially for synth).

tanner12oz
03-23-2014, 06:15 PM
Harrys holiday was late nominated for the derby...appears he will be in the gate barring any setbacks

Smarty Cide
03-25-2014, 08:31 AM
the Spiral has produced some quality derby horses in recent history but we miss artie only an 85 beyer

Leparoux
03-25-2014, 10:04 AM
the Spiral has produced some quality derby horses in recent history but we miss artie only an 85 beyer
I think most people forget that and just want to bash the poly. But I agree this edition probably wasn't the best.