PDA

View Full Version : A little Chrome Box......

JustRalph
03-16-2014, 12:43 AM
http://www.forbes.com/sites/davealtavilla/2014/03/14/affordable-asus-chromebox-cloud-pc-fires-shot-across-microsofts-bow/

Very interesting Chrome Box for what will probably be $299 or so in the not too distant future,

Makes me very curious. If you live in the Google Eco System.. Including your phone....very attractive.

PaceAdvantage
03-16-2014, 01:04 AM
Seems expensive for what it does (and doesn't do). I mean, you can get a Dell Inspiron All-In-One PC for $445. 20" screen, 4GB ram and 1TB hard drive...

Dave Schwartz
03-16-2014, 03:33 AM
Gotta agree with PA. If Big-G is going to compete with a product that does not run Windows programs (not just Windows mobile apps), it is going to have to come in at like $200 or less.

Basically, this is a web browser. There are some Blue-Ray players that have almost as much functionality.

JustRalph
03-16-2014, 01:12 PM
But if you live in the pure google world. You don't care about windows apps.

I dip in and out of Apple's IOS on the iPad. I have grown to hate some of the things Apple forces you to do. But the IPad is still the best tablet.

I run both windows and Mac's on my Desktop. The Macs do almost everything without one stumble. Hardware etc......if you aren't doing anything different, like horse racing apps, the Mac is pretty much bullet proof. Love that.

My windows machine is over four years old running Vista. I have no reason to upgrade. It's fast enough etc. but it still has the usual windows problems and you have to act proactively and be on your toes. I'm used to it but it's still a pain (malwAre etc)

If somebody came out with a really good mature google/android based tablet, I could see living in the pure google world, on purpose. They provide tons of stuff the others don't . Such as google voice, which allows me to make phone calls from every device I own. Including my iPad and Android tablets. All free. Google Docs are just about there. Many people live there instead of office. Unless you are going to need a ton of space, it's free.

The stuff Google does with Google+ and photos is just plain great. All for free. Every week Google seems to come out with something new. Let's just say, we are getting close enough that by providing the right machines at the right price, it becomes a real alternative.

I like what I see coming

lamboguy
03-16-2014, 01:19 PM
the only thing better than Google is owning Google stock from its IPO since 2004 at less than $100 per share, its now $1170 and moving like the wind on the outside