PDA

View Full Version : DOJ blocks FBI probe of Harry Reid

Clocker
03-14-2014, 11:15 AM
The Department of Justice (hah!) has blocked an investigation into possible corruption charges regarding 2 US Senators, one Dem and one GOP. The investigation was being conducted jointly by the FBI and Utah authorities.

FBI agents working alongside Utah state prosecutors in a wide-ranging corruption investigation have uncovered accusations of wrongdoing by two of the U.S. Senate’s most prominent figures — Majority Leader Harry Reid and rising Republican Sen. Mike Lee — but the Justice Department has thwarted their bid to launch a full federal investigation.

The probe, conducted by one Republican and one Democratic state prosecutor in Utah, has received accusations from an indicted businessman and political donor, interviewed other witnesses and gathered preliminary evidence such as financial records, Congressional Record statements and photographs that corroborate some aspects of the accusations, officials have told The Washington Times and ABC News.

But the Justice Department’s public integrity section — which normally handles corruption cases involving elected figures — rejected FBI agents’ bid to use a federal grand jury and subpoenas to determine whether the accusations are true and whether any federal crimes were committed by state and federal officials.

People familiar with the probe said both FBI agents and local investigators have been frustrated for months by the Justice Department’s inaction on the initial accusations and evidence against the two senators, and those concerns were recently elevated to FBI headquarters.

The special agent in charge of the Utah office was summoned earlier this month to Washington to meet with senior FBI officials, and the bureau’s Utah office has been instructed that the FBI agents working the case may only assist in the state probe and cannot pursue federal criminal investigative leads — unless Justice finally approves a corruption probe.

Full story (http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/mar/13/fbi-blocked-in-corruption-probe-involving-sens-rei/)

TJDave
03-14-2014, 11:23 AM
Not that I care what happens to Harry... but he's from Nevada.

Clocker
03-14-2014, 11:31 AM
Not that I care what happens to Harry... but he's from Nevada.
Recalibrated. A slip of the virtual tongue.

Robert Goren
03-14-2014, 11:50 AM
The real news here is that Obama DOJ is stopping the probe of a tea party senator. How could that happen? Wires must crossed someplace.

lamboguy
03-14-2014, 11:52 AM
Recalibrated. A slip of the virtual tongue.you must have thought because he is a mormon its an automatic that he is from Utah. there are lots of mormon's in Nevada as well.

DJofSD
03-14-2014, 11:53 AM
The real news here is that Obama DOJ is stopping the probe of a tea party senator. How could that happen? Wires must crossed someplace.
The obvious explanation is DoJ is waiting in line behind the IRS.

mostpost
03-14-2014, 11:54 AM
Why doesn't your headline read DOJ blocks FBI probe of Harry Reid and Mike Lee. Is it because Mike Lee is a Republican and Reid is a Democrat?

The DOJ did not block the investigation. In the first place the investigation is ongoing and is being conducted by Utah state prosecutors. In the second place the FBI is continuing to work with those prosecutors. What the DOJ did was to choose not to create a grand jury.

Are the Senators guilty? Who knows. The Utah prosecutors say that as of the moment they do not have sufficient evidence to charge them with any crimes. They do have enough to keep investigating which they should do.

Clocker
03-14-2014, 11:58 AM
Why doesn't your headline read DOJ blocks FBI probe of Harry Reid and Mike Lee.

Fish on!

It did originally, but then I decided to leave it out to see how many libs deflected from the story and nitpicked the headline.

DJofSD
03-14-2014, 11:59 AM
Loosen the drag more let 'em run, let 'em run!

HUSKER55
03-14-2014, 12:04 PM
Did you dems get upset when the IRS went against the tea party?

Clocker
03-14-2014, 12:05 PM
The DOJ did not block the investigation. In the first place the investigation is ongoing and is being conducted by Utah state prosecutors. In the second place the FBI is continuing to work with those prosecutors. What the DOJ did was to choose not to create a grand jury.

The FBI wanted to use DOJ resources to further the investigation and the DOJ said no. I would call that blocking that part of the investigation.

Yes, the FBI is still working on the case. If they weren't, I would have said that DOJ stopped the investigation, not that they blocked it.

Here is what "block" means in English:

verb to obstruct (someone or something) by placing obstacles in the way

DJofSD
03-14-2014, 12:07 PM
Usually, it's 'obstruction of justice' but in this case, let's go with 'obstruction by justice.'

Clocker
03-14-2014, 12:10 PM
Usually, it's 'obstruction of justice' but in this case, let's go with 'obstruction by justice.'

Does "obstruct" mean anything like "block"? I guess we will soon find out from our resident experts.

TJDave
03-14-2014, 12:13 PM
Are the Senators guilty? Who knows. The Utah prosecutors say that as of the moment they do not have sufficient evidence to charge them with any crimes. They do have enough to keep investigating which they should do.

You gotta have all your ducks in a row to go after a senator. They are top of the political food chain. I believe it would be easier to get to a president.

Robert Goren
03-14-2014, 12:14 PM
Did you dems get upset when the IRS went against the tea party?Not when the IRS started investigating scam artists masquerading as tea party groups. It was the right wing who got all in a tether and demanded those crooks be given free rein to operate with out oversight.

mostpost
03-14-2014, 12:16 PM
Fish on!

It did originally, but then I decided to leave it out to see how many libs deflected from the story and nitpicked the headline.
I do not believe that for a minute. It's not nitpicking to point out the important fact that you gave your Tea Party friend a pass.

Robert Goren
03-14-2014, 12:31 PM
You must have not been able to find an article that left Lee's name out. That damn liberal media. :bang: :lol:

Clocker
03-14-2014, 12:32 PM
I do not believe that for a minute.

That's because you lack imagination and a sense of humor.

Most liberals are totally incapable of accepting the fact that not everyone thinks the way they do. So they assume that anyone that says anything that doesn't conform with their vision of reality must be lying.

Tom
03-14-2014, 12:36 PM
Fish on!

Sharp post!

dartman51
03-14-2014, 12:46 PM
Mike Lee can be thankful that Harry was ALSO being investigated. If Mike Lee had been the ONLY target, you wouldn't have heard a peep out of the DOJ, other than maybe to SPEED UP the investigation, and get this criminal behind bars. :ThmbUp:

mostpost
03-14-2014, 01:31 PM
You raise a very good point. Perhaps the DOJ declined to get involved not because of Sen. Reid, but because of Sen. Lee. If there was not a lot of evidence, they may have been leery of accusations of targeting.

Clocker
03-14-2014, 01:45 PM
Perhaps the DOJ declined to get involved not because of Sen. Reid, but because of Sen. Lee. If there was not a lot of evidence, they may have been leery of accusations of targeting.

I retract my statement about you lacking imagination. That is twisted logic and unsubstantiated fantasy worthy of Debbie Watercarrier Schultz.

Tom
03-14-2014, 03:06 PM
If my thread about the 400 year old constitution was not closed, I would quote him in it! :lol: