PDA

View Full Version : Jos A. Bank sold

lamboguy
03-11-2014, 01:41 PM
today for $1.8 billion to Mens Wearhouse. i was surprised that anyone would want either of these 2 company's because men aren't wearing as many suits as they used to.

i went to Jos A. Bank on a sunday in October. i couldn't believe how many people were in that store spending plenty of money. i wound up with a sport jacket and a pair of slacks along with the alteration for under $500. the quality wasn't that bad either for the price. i threw out all my old suits that i hadn't been wearing for years that got hit with the moths and had plenty of small holes in them. i now have 2 suits and plenty of mothballs.

Clocker
03-11-2014, 02:11 PM
They must have been in trouble for some time. They have been running desperation ads for months on cable news channels offering buy 1 get 1 free, then buy 1 get 2 free on anything in the store. I think I just saw some for buy 1 get 3 free.

tucker6
03-11-2014, 02:20 PM
They must have been in trouble for some time. They have been running desperation ads for months on cable news channels offering buy 1 get 1 free, then buy 1 get 2 free on anything in the store. I think I just saw some for buy 1 get 3 free.

could be to increase revenues in advance of a company sale to increase value.

TJDave
03-11-2014, 02:41 PM

My family was in the rag business. There's a lot of markup in the crap discounters sell. We called it schlock. ;)

Clocker
03-11-2014, 02:51 PM
My family was in the rag business. There's a lot of markup in the crap discounters sell. We called it schlock. ;)

If I was looking for a good suit, I don't think I would trust the quality of anything being sold as buy 1 suit, get 3 free.

I have no idea if Jos. Bank was selling quality stuff before, or if they were bringing in schlock for their current promotions.

lamboguy
03-11-2014, 02:59 PM
years ago i was wearing Hickey Friedman, Walter Morton, Zegna and other high quality threads that Louis, Mr. Sid, Cousin's or Barney's sold.

the stuff at Jos A. Bank is not as good, but its not bad and the prices are better.

Robert Goren
03-11-2014, 03:41 PM
They must have been in trouble for some time. They have been running desperation ads for months on cable news channels offering buy 1 get 1 free, then buy 1 get 2 free on anything in the store. I think I just saw some for buy 1 get 3 free.They have been running those ads for years. It is their way of marketing their product. They are a place for men that have to wear a suit for work but don't get paid enough to afford good ones.

Grits
03-11-2014, 04:25 PM

TJD, I love it when you call the fashion/clothing industry the "rag business". It makes me laugh. :lol: A friend, here in town owns a men's store. The finest Gitman Bros. dress shirts, etc. I love buying men's clothes. Always have. I bought the former spouse's for years.

One of the best looking pieces of clothing I ever owned was a tapestry jacket from Jos A. Bank Women's store. Never went out of style, the cut did, but it came back. As women's clothes often do. Finally gave it away...still in good shape. I think about what I used to spend on clothes, designer "rags", etc. I don't anymore. I despise buying them because I think there's such a tremendous markup on all clothes today. Its why I buy leather. I'm not getting ripped off! You can't wear out a pair of Lucchese boots. I was misplaced at birth; should've been born a Texan. ;)