PDA

View Full Version : Daylight savings time

Grits
03-10-2014, 06:40 PM
I can't help it, I just don't like it beginning so early in the year. Like animals, I wake with the sun, or not too soon after. And I go to sleep at midnight. When I wake now, I don't like a clock telling me I've slept an hour late. Also, right now, its the dinner hour and I'm not even near hungry yet. This is all wrong. Its ok in late April or May, but not in March.

Greyfox
03-10-2014, 06:48 PM
I'd like to see Daylight Savings Time all year round.
No reason to fall back, in the Fall that is.

Mystic
03-10-2014, 06:58 PM
Here a quiz to see how much you know about the history of it. I got 2 wrong :D

http://glo.msn.com/living/daylight-saving-time-trivia-9728.gallery

Workplace injuries rise after the switch.

http://news.msn.com/us/be-careful-workplace-injuries-spike-following-the-switch-to-daylight-saving-time

JustRalph
03-10-2014, 07:31 PM
I was in a restaurant yesterday and overheard this

" so, now that we moved the clocks up, the sun is going to stay out longer, right?"

Marshall Bennett
03-10-2014, 07:34 PM
I'd like to see Daylight Savings Time all year round.
No reason to fall back, in the Fall that is.
I'm the opposite. I wish they'd do away with it all together. There's really no need for it. As far as keeping it all year long, that may work for some, but I wouldn't want my child waiting all Winter long for the school bus in the dark. They do it almost the full month of March as it is. Also nearly 6 months of morning commute in the dark in urban areas.

Marshall Bennett
03-10-2014, 07:36 PM

" so, now that we moved the clocks up, the sun is going to stay out longer, right?"
Probably doesn't get out of bed till noon. :)

PhantomOnTour
03-10-2014, 08:36 PM

You live in the South now Ralph - you will come to expect it :D

iceknight
03-10-2014, 08:46 PM
Losing sleep is not fun.

By the way the correct terminology is Daylight Saving Time.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daylight_saving_time

Grits
03-10-2014, 09:50 PM
Losing sleep is not fun.

By the way the correct terminology is Daylight Saving Time.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Daylight_saving_time

Ik, please, forgive my ignorance. :faint:

Greyfox
03-11-2014, 12:08 AM
I'm the opposite. I wish they'd do away with it all together. There's really no need for it. As far as keeping it all year long, that may work for some, but I wouldn't want my child waiting all Winter long for the school bus in the dark. They do it almost the full month of March as it is. Also nearly 6 months of morning commute in the dark in urban areas.

Good reason to disagree- about a child waiting for a school bus in the dark, I mean. :ThmbUp:
I can understand that concern. Very legit.
Surely parents would organize that children wouldn't be alone. No??

Where I live, it's pretty dim on winter mornings for school children as well, even before the time change.

But longer evenings are fine by me.

HuggingTheRail
03-11-2014, 12:29 AM
An old Indian Chief was asked if they had Daylight Saving Time on the reservation. The old man replied "Only white man dumb enough to think he can cut off the bottom of a blanket, sew it on the other end and think he has a longer blanket."

TJDave
03-11-2014, 12:42 AM
One of the few nice things about getting old is not having to worry about crap like this. If there's not time enough today then there's always tomorrow.

TJDave
03-11-2014, 12:46 AM
An old Indian Chief was asked if they had Daylight Saving Time on the reservation. The old man replied "Only white man dumb enough to think he can cut off the bottom of a blanket, sew it on the other end and think he has a longer blanket."

Refresh my memory. Exactly who is living on reservations?

DJofSD
03-11-2014, 12:51 AM
Saving.

wisconsin
03-11-2014, 10:12 AM
I like that by June it's light out until 9pm. I also hate that by December, it's dark at 4.

I would rather the clock be left alone.

Robert Goren
03-11-2014, 10:59 AM
Too much of a good thing. They keep moving the dates to get more of it. They go back to middle of Apr to mid Oct. at least. Then the weather is good enough to take advantage of that "extra hour" of day light. I might even be game for 2 hours for June, July and August.

BlueShoe
03-11-2014, 12:29 PM
I very much like DST. I have a mild case of SAD, and when we change back in early November and it is dark at 5 in the afternoon, it can be depressing for the next few months. Much rather have the darkness in the morning rather than late afternoon, although can see the farmers and parents objections as well. Your attitude may be influenced by where you live, with those residing farther north not as likely to like it.
www.sunrisesunset.com/usa/ (http://www.sunrisesunset.com/usa/)

Actor
03-11-2014, 09:25 PM

" so, now that we moved the clocks up, the sun is going to stay out longer, right?"Well, in a way, yes. That's kinda the whole idea. :bang: