PDA

View Full Version : TSN Files

Crosley
04-09-2004, 03:02 PM
Anyone:

I've been reading discussions here at PA and I'm quite impressed. I haven't found any other sites or forums that even begin to approach the knowledge base found here. That's why I'm sure I'll get the correct answer to what I've been thinking about.

I recently began a subscription to the TSN Advantage Plan and now download Procaps files for use in the free SW provided by both TSN and Brisnet as well as another program, Quickhorse, which I'm trying to devote some serious time to.

My questions are about the other 2 files TSN includes in their Advantage Plan, I'll explain them:

Inside Picks & Power Plays - Shows ML odds, best selections, identifies contenders based on Speed, Class & Pace and also identifies some power angles.
This file is provided in either PDF or HTML format.

The other file provided is Quick Play PPs - basically past performances that also highlight key stats like, Speed Last Race, Prime Power, Class and Best Speed at Distance.
This file is only provided as a PDF.

Are there any programs out there that these files can be imported to in their current PDF format, or.... let me put it this way; can PDF files be modified in a way that would allow them to be used by an existing SW package or homegrown database?

Also, back to the Inside P&PP HTML files... these can be saved to .txt versions so I imagine there might be something available for these. If the answer for these is you have to build you own database, which way would you point me... should I learn MS Access or use something else.

Any info on what might be done with these files would be appreciated. See, I even left an opening for the less than serious members to share their thoughts.

Crosley

Larry Hamilton
04-09-2004, 03:39 PM
you mention 3 issues:

1. Can .pdf be turned into something useable? Yes. On the Acrobat site, there is a third party developers section that lists several pieces of software to do that. All are expensive and no one on this site has ever mentioned whether this was successfull and whether the data was in a useable format.

2. Can html be converted to txt. Yes, simple operation, except for two things, the format has txt all over the place and that doesnt go into excel well or at all. Also, they use very small fonts which turns some text into gibberish.

3. You ask if you should learn Access--depends, you need time, money, and education.

Data bases aint cheap. You may find, like me, that you have to invest your whole life.

levinmpa
04-09-2004, 03:50 PM
I would doubt that the .pdf files could be used for anything but viewing. If you have the Adobe Acrobat program(not the reader, but the application that creates the .pdf) you may be able to edit the files, but the files would probably not be in any kind of useable structure. The Procaps and other data files that are available from TSN and BRIS are in a comma delimited format. This means that each piece of data is in a seperate field. The software applications that read these files are programed to know what data to expect in each field. I believe the file structures are freely available for those that want to write their own applications. There may be some very sharp people out there that could do something with one of the .pdf files if they could get it into some kind of editable format and then do something with the data. I think this would be beyond what most of us would want to undertake.

BillW
04-09-2004, 04:00 PM
Crosley,

Welcome to the site. Another thing I should mention is that there is nothing in the QPPP's that isn't in the .pcs files (as a matter of fact there is more in the .pcs files ... look at their PP generator application). I use the IPPP report as a track program, great for noting scratches etc. The "power play angles" and the "picks" are not in the .pcs files, but are of dubious value.

Bill

garyoz
04-09-2004, 09:39 PM
Don't overlook the value of Insider Picks and Powerplays as both a one page program/scratch sheet, but also as safety net to make sure you don't miss good workouts, overlook a trainer you like, track bets you make, etc. I remember reading that Bris (sister company of TSN) said it was one of their top selling products. As a Brisbet customer, I make really good use of IPPP offered for free. When I'm trying to handicap multiple tracks, I have make mistakes overlooking trainers, writing down the wrong program numbers, missing workouts in the Past Performances, etc. While not comprehensive, it is a product that I find has decent utility at no cost. As stated, all the data are already available in comma delimited format in the ProCaps file. Just another way that Bris/TSN repackages the same data in a number of formats.

syyamo
04-10-2004, 10:19 AM
levinmpa,

There is commercially available software to convet PDF files into Word-type documents.

here is but one:

http://www.compusa.com/products/product_info.asp?product_code=307045&pfp=SEARCH

sq764
04-10-2004, 11:37 AM
I have Adobe Writer and I can edit pdf files quite easily.

I haven't used it extensively, but to this point, I have no tried to convert the pdf files to another format, only the opposite way around..

Crosley
04-11-2004, 10:05 PM
Thanks for all the replys...

I have access to Adobe Pro at work, I'll spend some time using it to see if anythng worthwhile can be done with the TSN PPs.