PDA

View Full Version : Texas jobs.....Wapo

JustRalph
03-09-2014, 12:53 PM
I was going to post this in HCAP's old thread where he tries to discredit Texas job growth. But it's old and he's been hammered enough there. Let's start anew

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/govbeat/wp/2014/03/07/texas-isnt-just-leading-the-nation-in-job-growth-its-doing-it-more-equitably-too/

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/govbeat/files/2014/03/Chart-1.jpg

Btw, California is losing more to Texas.....which makes me smile :)

"The recent decision by Occidental Petroleum to move its headquarters to Houston from Los Angeles, where it was founded over a half-century ago, confirms the futility and delusion embodied in California’s ultragreen energy policies. By embracing solar and wind as preferred sources of generating power, the state promotes an ever-widening gap between its declining middle- and working-class populations and a smaller, self-satisfied group of environmental campaigners and their corporate backers. …

In all but forcing out fossil-fuel firms, California is shedding one of its historic core industries. Not long ago, California was home to a host of top 10 energy firms – ARCO, Getty Oil, Union Oil, Oxy and Chevron; in 1970, oil firms constituted the five largest industrial companies in the state. Now, only Chevron, which has been reducing its headcount in Northern California and is clearly shifting its emphasis to Texas, will remain.

These are losses that California can not easily absorb. Despite all the hype about the ill-defined “green jobs” sector, the real growth engine remains fossil fuels, which have added a half-million jobs in the past five years. If you don’t believe it, just take a trip to Houston, where Occidental is moving."

PaceAdvantage
03-09-2014, 01:30 PM
California should be considered what happens when the Obama mentality takes total hold over you. You end up cutting off your nose to spite your face.

That Obama is inspiring. He'll inspire California liberals into bankruptcy...good job man.

How can Palin ever compare to that kind of genius? :lol:

Jay Trotter
03-09-2014, 02:11 PM
How can Palin ever compare to that kind of genius? :lol:Are you having a Palin meltdown????

DJofSD
03-09-2014, 02:50 PM
I was going to post this in HCAP's old thread where he tries to discredit Texas job growth. But it's old and he's been hammered enough there. Let's start anew

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/govbeat/wp/2014/03/07/texas-isnt-just-leading-the-nation-in-job-growth-its-doing-it-more-equitably-too/

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/govbeat/files/2014/03/Chart-1.jpg

Btw, California is losing more to Texas.....which makes me smile :)

"The recent decision by Occidental Petroleum to move its headquarters to Houston from Los Angeles, where it was founded over a half-century ago, confirms the futility and delusion embodied in California’s ultragreen energy policies. By embracing solar and wind as preferred sources of generating power, the state promotes an ever-widening gap between its declining middle- and working-class populations and a smaller, self-satisfied group of environmental campaigners and their corporate backers. …

In all but forcing out fossil-fuel firms, California is shedding one of its historic core industries. Not long ago, California was home to a host of top 10 energy firms – ARCO, Getty Oil, Union Oil, Oxy and Chevron; in 1970, oil firms constituted the five largest industrial companies in the state. Now, only Chevron, which has been reducing its headcount in Northern California and is clearly shifting its emphasis to Texas, will remain.

These are losses that California can not easily absorb. Despite all the hype about the ill-defined “green jobs” sector, the real growth engine remains fossil fuels, which have added a half-million jobs in the past five years. If you don’t believe it, just take a trip to Houston, where Occidental is moving."
JC talked about OXY recently. Room to go higher.

Go back enough years and there was a lot of aerospace in CA. No longer.

Go further back, there was automotive in CA. No longer.

Back even further, entertainment, both TV and movies, had a very strong presence in CA. Not so much any more.

Agriculture still is large. But, for how long?

delayjf
03-09-2014, 07:57 PM
Agriculture still is large. But, for how long?

Not very with the water rationing going on in CA. About the only sector keeping CA afloat in the Tech industry - which is probably the least regulated industry in the state.

jdhanover
03-10-2014, 09:38 AM
An opposing point of view...not saying I agree or disagree, just showing how simple numbers dont always tell a full story.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/03/08/rick-perry-2014-cpac_n_4922125.html

Usually, when everything is considered, these kinds of arguments are silly. In this case, the TX economy is so oil-rich and oil-dependent that one needs to consider its unique characteristics (namely it sits over a lot of il) before claiming anything good or bad about it. Similaryly in MI, the state was so auto dependendant that as those companies struggled (many reasons, most notatbly horrendous product designs/quality), the state went into the crapper.

Think of it this way, if oil busts next year, TX will spin down not because of gov't policy but because of the econimics.

State gov't policy and state economics are connected, but the cause-effect is (in my book) not very highly correlated. Same goes at the Federal Level. If you blame Obama for a sluggish recovery then you have to blame Bush for the deep recession. I only place a portion of the blame to both but much more of it on factors beyond either guy's control.

JustRalph
03-10-2014, 09:53 AM
The latest Texas energy boom is natural gas. Not oil.

Fracking all over the place.

Natural gas filling stations and conversion centers next up on the horizon.

jdhanover
03-10-2014, 09:54 AM

I stand corrected (about natural gas vs oil)...and apologize for all the innacurate spellings. But my point is that energy is such a big factor in TX that comparisons to most other states are difficult at best. Its economy if highly centered on energy and the state has much more of it than other states (other than the Dakotas I believe) relatively speaking.

DJofSD
03-10-2014, 09:55 AM

Yes. One company: CLNE.

JustRalph
03-10-2014, 09:59 AM
http://www.chk.com/Pages/default.aspx

Chesapeake Energy out of Oklahoma City has fracking sites all over the area I just moved to.

Robert Goren
03-10-2014, 02:05 PM
Jobs or no jobs, why in the world would you want to live in a state that so oppressive that you can not even bet on a horse on the internet?

JustRalph
03-10-2014, 04:24 PM
Jobs or no jobs, why in the world would you want to live in a state that so oppressive that you can not even bet on a horse on the internet?

You're right. The teeming shopping mall I just left that's part of ten miles of business and commerce that is thriving like I have never seen in my life is just too much to endure. And there are 15 areas just like it within 25 miles of my home . The clean streets, the suburban atmosphere with schools that look like palaces, the low crime rates, the State officials who believe in my rights as a citizen, the interaction with nice people who are nice to each other because it's part of the culture, the customer service based economy that shames what passes for customer service on the east coast, and the vastly lower cost of living are just too much to endure!!!

Please, Goren, send me the want ads and real estate listings for Nebraska, Chicago, Baltimore and New York. I gotta get the hell out of here because I can't throw money online at a sport that has no appreciation whatsoever for customers. But I can drive twenty minutes to the track.

Calling my real estate agent right now......... :faint:

DJofSD
03-10-2014, 04:28 PM
Hey, JR, its sound like things are great in the great state of Texas.

Sounds like your priorities differ from RG's. Or, IOW, whatever floats your boat.

Saratoga_Mike
03-10-2014, 04:34 PM

Besides the betting issue, just how is Texas more "oppressive" than your home state of NE? Oppressive - that's great...economic success is now oppressive.

TJDave
03-10-2014, 04:48 PM
I own property and a business in Texas. A great atmosphere for making money...and buying guns. Like picking low-hanging fruit. Culturally, it's pretty much a wasteland, though.

The sacrifices we make. :rolleyes:

PaceAdvantage
03-10-2014, 09:04 PM
Are you having a Palin meltdown????Nope.

Marshall Bennett
03-11-2014, 08:16 AM
You're right. The teeming shopping mall I just left that's part of ten miles of business and commerce that is thriving like I have never seen in my life is just too much to endure. And there are 15 areas just like it within 25 miles of my home . The clean streets, the suburban atmosphere with schools that look like palaces, the low crime rates, the State officials who believe in my rights as a citizen, the interaction with nice people who are nice to each other because it's part of the culture, the customer service based economy that shames what passes for customer service on the east coast, and the vastly lower cost of living are just too much to endure!!!

Please, Goren, send me the want ads and real estate listings for Nebraska, Chicago, Baltimore and New York. I gotta get the hell out of here because I can't throw money online at a sport that has no appreciation whatsoever for customers. But I can drive twenty minutes to the track.

Calling my real estate agent right now......... :faint:

Well said, Ralph. :ThmbUp: Gets my morning off to a good start. Been all over the world, but there's no place like home. I love Texas.