PDA

View Full Version : A great coach. A greater man.

Grits
03-08-2014, 11:47 AM
http://espn.go.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/10545949/precious-memories-dean-smith-story

This is a story written earlier this week about the legendary, Coach Dean Smith. He, 83, and my dad, 85, have the same disease. Alzheimers/related dementias are diseases that all lead to one path. They rob humanity. We can be the brightest, we can be the lowliest, this disease doesn't discriminate.

Coach Smith, in December, was awarded the Presidential Medal of Freedom. I watched while his wife accepted the honor for him. This is the first time his disease has been openly discussed.

The greater story, here, is knowing what this fine man has given to his family, his community, his state, the NCAA, the athletes that stepped on the UNC court, and all others whose lives he has touched. <3

Robert Goren
03-08-2014, 12:13 PM
Recently Don Everett a horse owner and founder of Runza restaurants (a popular local McDonalds style chain) recently died from it after an eight year battle. He was 70 which means it started for him at 62. It runs in my family and scares the daylights out me.

JustRalph
03-08-2014, 02:34 PM
I read this earlier this week..........damn shame.

Great coach. Dearly loved in NC too. I was astounded realizing how many places like restaurants and stuff have his picture on the wall.

PaceAdvantage
03-08-2014, 02:56 PM
Not a fan of college hoops (or BB in general). But something compelled me to read the entire article...well done and very sad.

PhantomOnTour
03-08-2014, 03:07 PM
I believe former Tennessee women's basketball coach, and legend, Pat Summit was diagnosed with the same illness.

cj's dad
03-08-2014, 03:38 PM
I believe former Tennessee women's basketball coach, and legend, Pat Summit was diagnosed with the same illness.

Unfortunately, you are correct.

Grits
03-08-2014, 04:20 PM
Along with his generosity, Coach Smith's memory was one of the most incredible things about him. Players, games, dates, times, people he met everywhere, etc.

This piece of the story got to me. Terribly. :(

Dementia steals memory, and here's another twist of the knife: Dean's memory might have been the most impressive thing about him. It was astonishing, like a magic trick. Dave Hanners, who played and coached under Dean, was going through old game films one morning in 1989 -- Dean had decided to send his former players tapes of their best games as gifts. Hanners was watching a game against Notre Dame when Dean walked by and glanced at the screen. A few seconds later, he said: Watch this next play. Yogi Poteet is going to get a backdoor pass from Billy Cunningham and score. Next time down, they switch places. Yogi's going to throw the pass and Billy will score. They watched together, and it played out exactly as Dean said. When did you watch this film last? Hanners said.

Oh, I guess when we looked at it the day after the game, Dean said.

The game was from 1963.