PDA

View Full Version : Bris Ultimate PP's w/ comments

1ejp
03-07-2014, 08:40 AM
Does everybody download and print out the tracks they are playing?
It's a lot of paper and ink but I have a hard time reading it off the computer.
Also, no way to mark it up.

duncan04
03-07-2014, 08:53 AM
I pull them up on my ipad and there are apps that you can view the pp's in and mark them up. I use Goodreader for that feature

Grits
03-07-2014, 09:22 AM
Does everybody download and print out the tracks they are playing?
It's a lot of paper and ink but I have a hard time reading it off the computer.
Also, no way to mark it up.

For years, I've printed them. I still like to do this on big days. On others, I download them to my Ipad. There are two apps, one is Iannotate, which is very good and with a great number of features, its about $10.00. Too, there is FoxIt, which is free. With a few less features, but just as good overall. One can't beat "free".

I doubt I'll ever use my Ipad only for big racing days. For me, its not enough.

Aner
03-07-2014, 09:39 AM
After the ML odds become available, I print out the track program from DRF.com.(usually 5-8 pages per track). My desktop computer has a nice big monitor so I open the PP's and jot down what I think is pertinent information on the printed program. I have never attempted to print the PP's.

HUSKER55
03-07-2014, 09:42 AM
I down load mine thru adobe and then you can increase the size on the monitor.

I rarely print anything out.

fmolf
03-07-2014, 12:03 PM
i have to print them out.....I need to be able to glance from horse to horse quickly...cannot do this on computer or i pad...at least i am not comfortable with it!

dirty moose
03-07-2014, 12:19 PM
Its deff all about comfort and what your used to. I personally just view them on the screen, that would be a lot of paper to print out.

therussmeister
03-07-2014, 12:35 PM
i have to print them out.....I need to be able to glance from horse to horse quickly...cannot do this on computer or i pad...at least i am not comfortable with it!
Me too. I like to lay out each race's past performances side by side, by side, by side, by side, so there is no page turning involved. I print all races on one side of the paper, and then do the next day's races on the back side.

I have, on occasion, tried to handicap off the computer, but I just don't handicap as proficiently.

raybo
03-07-2014, 12:45 PM

What's wrong with a mouse with a scroll wheel? Or just dragging the wiper in the scroll bar? Or, clicking below or above the wiper in the scroll bar? I can go from the 1st horse to the 10th horse in about 2 seconds. Not fast enough for you?

raybo
03-07-2014, 12:48 PM
Its deff all about comfort and what your used to. I personally just view them on the screen, that would be a lot of paper to print out.

Yep, I used to print them out, but 30+ pages for a card and all the ink used gets to be quite expensive. Took me about 2 days to get used to viewing on the PC. Plus it's so easy to highlight, add comments etc, if you are using a spreadsheet anyway.

Clocker
03-07-2014, 12:52 PM
I print them out. A card is usually about 30 pages. Print half the races, flip the pages and put them back in the printer, and print out the rest. That's 15 sheets of paper, about 15 cents. Toner might be another penny a page. Now I'm up to 45 cents.

A race is usually 3-4 pages. After marking up the PPs, I can spread the whole race out on my desk side by side. I can see all the horses at once and do any necessary comparisons. Well worth it.

Grits
03-07-2014, 12:57 PM
Me too. I like to lay out each race's past performances side by side, by side, by side, by side, so there is no page turning involved. I print all races on one side of the paper, and then do the next day's races on the back side.

I have, on occasion, tried to handicap off the computer, but I just don't handicap as proficiently.

I've come to believe the biggest rip off in the country is the price of INK.

I have a Canon color ink jet printer and scanner and an HP laser printer, black only. The small ink jet cartridges (black/color) are about $22. each currently. The laser printer cartridge is now at $100. Both at Office Depot. (The refilling thing has never worked for me, nor have the house brand cartridges.) The tale that one gets far more printed pages out of the laser? Hmmm, maybe a few, but not a tremendous number. One can buy a whole lot of ink jet cartridges for what one pays for the price of one laser. Using both, the ink jet printer, itself, is simply not as fast as the laser. I cannot bear spending such money for INK. This is why I'm trying to work with my IPad more.

Clocker
03-07-2014, 01:08 PM
I've come to believe the biggest rip off in the country is the price of INK.

I have a Canon color ink jet printer and scanner and an HP laser printer, black only. The small ink jet cartridges (black/color) are about $22. each currently. The laser printer cartridge is now at $100. Both at Office Depot.

I have an HP laser. I buy non-HP toner on Amazon for about $15. The toner from HP is about $65 and is good for about 2000 pages. The non-HP on Amazon is about $15 and good for about 1500 pages.

Office Depot or Office Max sometimes has their house brand for certain printers. Usually as good as OEM and about 40% cheaper. Another very good retail alternative for toner or ink is Cartridge World, if there is a store in your area.

Grits
03-07-2014, 01:18 PM
I have an HP laser. I buy non-HP toner on Amazon for about $15. The toner from HP is about $65 and is good for about 2000 pages. The non-HP on Amazon is about $15 and good for about 1500 pages.

Office Depot or Office Max sometimes has their house brand for certain printers. Usually as good as OEM and about 40% cheaper. Another very good retail alternative for toner or ink is Cartridge World, if there is a store in your area.

I've never looked for non-HP toner on Amazon. $15. is AMAZING. And I've been paying the price I quoted for a long time. I've tried the house brands, as I said, didn't work, or didn't have ones for my models. Both are pretty new, the Canon being newer than the HP. .... Thank you, Clocker, I'll look into Amazon, though, I'll keep on with the IPad, too. NO INK cost would be nice.

Clocker
03-07-2014, 01:34 PM
Thank you, Clocker, I'll look into Amazon, though, I'll keep on with the IPad, too. NO INK cost would be nice.

There are a lot of sellers on Amazon, and quality is all over the place. Look at the customer reviews. You definitely want one that is shipped by Amazon. Even a good brand can come up with a lemon once in a while, and Amazon is 100% in backing up what they stock.

What is the model or cartridge for your HP? I'll check and see if any brand I have used makes one for yours.

Grits
03-07-2014, 01:41 PM
HP LaserJet P2055dn .... As I said, though, I'm bound and determined with my IPad.

When I go to the Saratoga meet every summer, not only do I take my laptop, I also take this laser printer! Its ridiculous, the packing and hauling I do. :faint:

jahura2
03-07-2014, 02:11 PM
I usually print BRIS off at work, I suspect it may get me in trouble some day so I have looked in to other options. Downloading to a flash drive and printing it at Fed Ex or Office Depot is about 4.75 per track and is way too expensive, the cost of DRF is prohibitive but at least the printed version has more than one track, don't like the new booklet formula and
I have gotten used to BRIS so the idea of going back to DRF doesn't really appeal to me either.
My printer at home is OK but again too pricey, paper not the issue but as mentioned earlier here the ink is just too expensive.
I think I just need to drag myself in to the 21st century and get used to handicapping on screen. Hard to teach an old dog new tricks.

cutchemist42
03-07-2014, 02:12 PM
I'm fine with comp. I've even been at the track and pulled up trks2day on my Iphone, now THAT was alot of scrolling and going back and forth. I'd imagine I could do fine with a tablet device.

Clocker
03-07-2014, 02:16 PM
HP LaserJet P2055dn .... As I said, though, I'm bound and determined with my IPad.

When I go to the Saratoga meet every summer, not only do I take my laptop, I also take this laser printer! Its ridiculous, the packing and hauling I do. :faint:

The HP real stuff is $70 at Amazon.

This brand (http://www.amazon.com/V4INK-Compatible-CE505A-Toner-Cartridge-Black/dp/B009VWO0A4/ref=sr_1_17?ie=UTF8&qid=1394219493&sr=8-17&keywords=hp+2055+toner) has been getting good reviews. I just ordered one for mine a couple days ago, but haven't used it before.

1ejp
03-07-2014, 03:57 PM
I'm going to get an Ipad air. With a screen protector, and cover it's $600.

New laser printer is (approx) $200 plus $75 toner and paper.

It's a bigger investment and learning curve but it's the way of the future.

I've looked at some of the apps for marking up a pdf files and they look pretty good. Most are free.

1ejp
03-07-2014, 04:03 PM
Plus it's so easy to highlight, add comments etc, if you are using a spreadsheet anyway.

Can you down load Bris PP's into a spread sheet?

therussmeister
03-07-2014, 04:26 PM
What's wrong with a mouse with a scroll wheel? Or just dragging the wiper in the scroll bar? Or, clicking below or above the wiper in the scroll bar? I can go from the 1st horse to the 10th horse in about 2 seconds. Not fast enough for you?
It's not fast enough for me. I go from one to ten in about 0.2 second. I jump between various horses about 30 times in the last couple minutes of handicapping. A lot of it has to do with me playing vertical exotics. I wouldn't need to do that if I was only concerned with picking winners.

raybo
03-07-2014, 06:25 PM
Can you down load Bris PP's into a spread sheet?

If you're talking about the Bris Ultimates (PDF) files, not that I'm aware of.

FrankieFigs
03-08-2014, 02:04 PM
I am printing PP's for now. I like to print the Quick Play to mark up, but I will also download the Ultimates to use for reference (more running lines, pedigree info, etc.). This seems to be working better for me at the moment.

I am coming closer to getting an iPad. Still can't pull the trigger and get away from my traditional "pen and paper" format....

PhantomOnTour
03-08-2014, 02:12 PM
I usually print BRIS off at work, I suspect it may get me in trouble some day so I have looked in to other options. Downloading to a flash drive and printing it at Fed Ex or Office Depot is about 4.75 per track and is way too expensive, the cost of DRF is prohibitive but at least the printed version has more than one track, don't like the new booklet formula and
I have gotten used to BRIS so the idea of going back to DRF doesn't really appeal to me either.
My printer at home is OK but again too pricey, paper not the issue but as mentioned earlier here the ink is just too expensive.
I think I just need to drag myself in to the 21st century and get used to handicapping on screen. Hard to teach an old dog new tricks.
Why not look at the card and only print races you intend to bet or those that look appealing?
Also (if using BRIS ultimate pp's) you can cut off the last stat page and save some ink there by not printing it - that's one page saved per race.

Segwin
03-08-2014, 05:58 PM

It's not ridiculous, it's part of the job (and part of the fun).

Tom
03-08-2014, 06:01 PM
You guys should see what andicap takes to Toga.....a chainsaw, so he cut down extra tress for all the paper he prints out! :lol:

Grits
03-08-2014, 06:18 PM
It's not ridiculous, it's part of the job (and part of the fun).

IS, TOO!! :lol: I don't like this part of the "job"!

PaceAdvantage
03-09-2014, 01:00 PM
I am printing PP's for now. I like to print the Quick Play to mark up, but I will also download the Ultimates to use for reference (more running lines, pedigree info, etc.). This seems to be working better for me at the moment.

I am coming closer to getting an iPad. Still can't pull the trigger and get away from my traditional "pen and paper" format....Before getting an iPad, take a good look at some of the 8" windows tablets that have appeared lately.

I used to be an iPad fan, but I absolutely LOVE my Dell Venue 8 Pro...thing is as small as an iPad, has about 8 hours of battery life, runs full Windows 8, and is surprisingly QUICK...

Only problem is their optional stylus SUCKS...but they are revamping the thing and hope to have a new stylus released by the end of this month.

If they can get that right, this thing, in my opinion, is the perfect small tablet.

Grits
03-09-2014, 04:10 PM
If I had it to go over again, I would not buy an IPad, as I did last July. I would buy another Samsung tablet, larger than the Samsung mini that I've had for a couple of years.

I paid $729. for the IPad. (32 gig). They gave me the screen protector for free--how nice of them. By the time I bought, first, a magnetic cover, and then later, a heavier Targus cover capable of propping for view, plus a Mophie juice pak, and an Anker battery pack, I've got 1K in this thing now. I don't care for Apple products as well as Samsung. Though, Apple in store service is excellent.

raybo
03-09-2014, 05:30 PM
If I had it to go over again, I would not buy an IPad, as I did last July. I would buy another Samsung tablet, larger than the Samsung mini that I've had for a couple of years.

I paid $729. for the IPad. (32 gig). They gave me the screen protector for free--how nice of them. By the time I bought, first, a magnetic cover, and then later, a heavier Targus cover capable of propping for view, plus a Mophie juice pak, and an Anker battery pack, I've got 1K in this thing now. I don't care for Apple products as well as Samsung. Though, Apple in store service is excellent.

My experience is, while Apple makes a great product, is it really worth the huge price, compared to similar Android or Windows products? We have an Android tablet and it worked fine for everything we would have used an iPad for, except of course, my needing to run Excel on it. Neither Apple nor Android tablets will run Excel workbooks that contain macros.

So, if I ever do buy another tablet it will be a Windows tablet. But, I'm pretty much convinced that a laptop with at least a 17" screen is what I need for racing use. I don't care that I can't carry it around in my pocket, as I can't even do that with my 5" cell phone, unless I want to stick it in my back pocket and risk sitting on it - LOL. I've tried the remote desktop apps to run Excel on my PC and view it on my cell/tablet, but they are just too hard to work with, even with a stylus, so I'm just stuck with needing a mobile "real" computer, that runs things that a "real" computer can run, I guess.

Tex9Down
03-09-2014, 11:56 PM
Good info. We need a new printer and the price of the ink jets chafs my ass. Something to think about....

fiveouttasix
08-09-2016, 12:34 PM
I need a new printer for my PP's....Can anyone recommend the best quality
B & W printer? I think I would prefer Toner over an ink cartridge... I assume HP? any help would be appreciated.

ReplayRandall
08-09-2016, 01:22 PM
B & W printer? I think I would prefer Toner over an ink cartridge... I assume HP? any help would be appreciated.

I've had great results with a Brother B&W Laser printer- HL series, price was right with not one problem, wireless from my laptop....

VigorsTheGrey
08-09-2016, 01:38 PM
I require the Daily Racing Form. Then I mark up info from Bris that is available from trks2day for free...sometimes I will print up the Bris summary pages only...I then go to handicapping.com for the angles and stats for trainers section and highlight the high trainer percentage stats on the form...there's other factors I mark up also in the call lines and trip notes...I need the hard copy of the form to do all this.

The Daily Racing Form is very expensive now, even 10 Forms a month is $200. Someday the industry will wake up and provide Pps free like Australia and hong Kong...I dislike lugging my PC around but I like to stay in touch with PA posters who are online during the day...and if I have my PC with me, I can scan BRIS files at post time....

Clocker
08-09-2016, 01:44 PM

I have an HP laser and a Brother 4-color ink jet, in the $100 range for each, and they work fine. I use the laser for all B&W. Toner is much cheaper than ink. I always go on Amazon and read customer reviews before buying something like that. As important, make sure that you can buy reliable non-OEM toner cartridges for whatever you buy.

I have run at least a dozen of the cartridges linked below through my HP 1020 without a single malfunction. They are $20 for two cartridges, while a new cartridge from HP is $60. As far as I can tell, I get the same number of copies from a cartridge with those or with an HP.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009VQ5IDI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Secondbest
08-09-2016, 03:13 PM
I have a cannon 3-1 bw Laser.$99. You might get one for less on newegg.

fiveouttasix
08-09-2016, 03:54 PM
Thank you all...I bought this one:

HP LaserJet P1006 Printer....sounds perfect for what I need...great reviews on Amazon

VeryOldMan
08-09-2016, 05:01 PM
Thank you all...I bought this one:

HP LaserJet P1006 Printer....sounds perfect for what I need...great reviews on Amazon

Only advice I can give at this point - careful with the replacement toner. Original HP costs an arm and a leg. Your printer has been out long enough that there are generic cartridges (CB435A in HP speak) readily available and which are a fraction of the HP price.

Have used generic cartridges (of a different model) to very good effect in my 2 HP P1102w printers, FWIW. Study the Amazon reviews and give it a shot.

Mulerider
08-09-2016, 07:47 PM
I have run at least a dozen of the cartridges linked below through my HP 1020 without a single malfunction. They are $20 for two cartridges, while a new cartridge from HP is $60. As far as I can tell, I get the same number of copies from a cartridge with those or with an HP.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B009VQ5IDI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s01?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Just ordered a couple of those from Amazon. Thanks for the heads up. Mine were $24 for a twin pack. Been buying HP 505A cartridges from Office Depot. OD should offer financing on those!