PDA

View Full Version : Analyzing Wagers

cj
04-08-2004, 08:53 PM
I'm in the process of creating a database of all of my wagers. I will be able to query by any of the fields in the database, and any combination of fields.

I am including date, track, surface, track conditions, distance, race class, age, sex, type of bet, bet size, result of bet, and probably a few more I'm forgetting off the top of my head.

So, for example, if I want to know how I do with Maiden Claimers at Mountaineer on sloppy tracks, I can do that. Or yielding turf courses anywhere, or any other combination I think might improve my bottom line.

What I am would like to hear are some other fields you think would be helpful.

When I'm finished, I'll be happy to share with anyone interested. I will probably make it accept records from BrisBet, and then add in the missing info by hand. I don't know of any other way to get in all the info I need/want.

Bubbles
04-08-2004, 08:59 PM
Some kind of ratings, perhaps your own, may help. They aren't necessary, but if you include the rating of the horse you bet, as well as the winner and his/her differential from your bet, it might help the database out a bit. Just a thought...

Hosshead
04-08-2004, 09:00 PM
How about a field for how you arrived at the decision for each bet.
ie. - particular system, tote board play, "freestyle decision" etc.

BillW
04-08-2004, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by cjmilkowski
I'm in the process of creating a database of all of my wagers. I will be able to query by any of the fields in the database, and any combination of fields.

I am including date, track, surface, track conditions, distance, race class, age, sex, type of bet, bet size, result of bet, and probably a few more I'm forgetting off the top of my head.

So, for example, if I want to know how I do with Maiden Claimers at Mountaineer on sloppy tracks, I can do that. Or yielding turf courses anywhere, or any other combination I think might improve my bottom line.

What I am would like to hear are some other fields you think would be helpful.

When I'm finished, I'll be happy to share with anyone interested. I will probably make it accept records from BrisBet, and then add in the missing info by hand. I don't know of any other way to get in all the info I need/want.

Craig,

I have my wagering database linked to my past performance/results database, so all info is available.

Specifically in my betting database, I have betting line, and what I call "decision point" odds, i.e. the odds on the tote board when I make my betting decision. This allows for determining what I considered an overlay. Normally the fact that a wager was made would suffice, but in the case of a "no bet" test, this info is necessary. It also serves in studies of conspiracy odds drops after the start. :D

Other fields include a "portfolio name" and a session number and fields for a contender selection rating and oddsline assignment rating as per S. Fierro.

This is all fairly new and a work in progress so uses for some of this information is still to be determined.

Bill

hdcper
04-08-2004, 09:27 PM
I would certainly include post time odds.

Bill

Dan Montilion
04-11-2004, 01:55 AM
Trainer. Even if ones approach pays little attention to the trainer. You will be surprised to be in tune with some and not a clue with others.

Dan Montilion

cj
04-11-2004, 04:31 AM
All good tips, keep them coming!

Valuist
04-11-2004, 10:14 PM
I would agree with Hosshead. Why you made certain wagers can help you find out works well, or what angles you are using too much. Of course there are going to be times when there may be multiple angles going for a wager. Maybe code each angle/reason: A-recent form B-back numbers C-trainer angle D-appearance in paddock & post parade E-horse for course F-pace numbers etc, etc. I did this for a while back in 97-98 and found out a few things I was doing wrong that I wasn't aware of.