Shemp Howard
03-02-2014, 03:30 PM
What a pussy.

Hoofless_Wonder
03-02-2014, 03:44 PM
"bad back". Maybe too much strange?

098poi
03-02-2014, 03:49 PM
I don't get what the big deal is. All golfers have wd from tournaments due to injury and Tiger does not quit just because he is out of contention. If you don't like him fine but if he wd on the final round I am sure he did it for a legitimate reason. He is older and smarter now and instead of playing through pain he is probably avoiding any further injury.

Shemp Howard
03-02-2014, 04:41 PM
"Oh, my back. I think it's broken."

Saratoga_Mike
03-02-2014, 04:49 PM
"Oh, my back. I think it's broken."

You've clearly competed at the upper echelon of the professional sporting world, so you must be right about this.

horses4courses
03-02-2014, 05:02 PM
The local NBC news broadcast I listen to most evenings comes from Sacramento.

A brief sports segment they include has a little golf coverage from Thursday -Sunday, which is fine.
Except for the fact that out of the average 30 seconds of golf,
probably 20 seconds of it is following Tiger Woods when he plays.
It gets really old.

Sure, if he's in contention I expect it.
Usually these days, though, he's not - and I don't give a ratz how he's doing.

The man is mortal, for crissakes.
He's not a winning machine any more.

Greyfox
03-02-2014, 05:12 PM
I'm not a fan of Tiger's but I can say with certainty that anyone who has experienced back pain can tell you it's no fun.
In fact, if you have a back problem, you are a member of the world's biggest club.
That's right. About 80% of adults will experience a back problem sometime during their lifetimes.
Swinging a golf club doesn't help it at all when the pain is acute.
It may even make it worse.
In Wood's instance, he had given 5 strokes back to the course today when I saw him on the 10 th or 11 th hole.
Was that due to a bad back? Maybe. Maybe not.
But if he has a bad back, I wish him well.

Greyfox
03-09-2014, 12:01 PM
Couldn't finish the final 6 holes last week when his score went south and this week he's stormed back to be just 2 strokes off the lead at Doral.
Hmm?
I'd like to see the guys who I know who have bad backs do that. Hmm??

tucker6
03-09-2014, 04:03 PM
Couldn't finish the final 6 holes last week when his score went south and this week he's stormed back to be just 2 strokes off the lead at Doral.
Hmm?
I'd like to see the guys who I know who have bad backs do that. Hmm??
You say correctly in your post last week that anyone with a back bad can commiserate with Tiger. Now you insinuate that something strange is going on. Maybe you are part of that 20% without back pain. As one who has had episodes similar to Tiger's, I don't find it the least bit amazing that he was able to play fours days after WD'ing. My back can go out just bending down to pick up a towel on the floor. Conversely, I can lay down for ten minutes, get up and all is well. And with many outcomes in between. I have quit rounds with a bad back and come back to play the same week. Nothing mysterious, and to be honest, I sometimes play better after the layoff. :)

DJofSD
03-09-2014, 04:32 PM
What a pussy.
Really? I don't get it.

Do you golf? In any capacity, have you ever had a back injury, pulled muscle or spasm?

Greyfox
03-09-2014, 04:40 PM
You say correctly in your post last week that anyone with a back bad can commiserate with Tiger. Now you insinuate that something strange is going on. Maybe you are part of that 20% without back pain. As one who has had episodes similar to Tiger's, I don't find it the least bit amazing that he was able to play fours days after WD'ing. My back can go out just bending down to pick up a towel on the floor. Conversely, I can lay down for ten minutes, get up and all is well. And with many outcomes in between. I have quit rounds with a bad back and come back to play the same week. Nothing mysterious, and to be honest, I sometimes play better after the layoff. :)

Good on you.
I've had a bad back on a couple of occasions but not chronic to the point that it returns on an intermittent basis.
But I've known several golfers who've been out for the better part of a season when their back goes.
Obviously that is not the case with your back and apparently Tiger's.