PDA

View Full Version : What am I missing?

Jay Trotter
03-01-2014, 01:25 PM
Why would anyone bet to Win on a 1/9 shot when Show would pay the same? Am I missing something?

therussmeister
03-01-2014, 05:33 PM
Maybe they don't get a rebate for show wagers.

Stillriledup
03-01-2014, 05:42 PM
Large bettors load up on horses like this early in the betting and hope the other bettors "adjust" the prices and their winner drifts up, at least drifts up to higher than 2.10

Teen Pauline, later in the day, was 1-9 during the betting, but she drifted up and paid 2.70 to win. If the biggest bettor (whoever it was) waited till the last horse loading to bet his 20 or 30k, she might not have paid 2.70 , she might have paid 2.20.

Remember, if a horse like Mean Season or Teen Pauline is sitting up on the board at 2-5 with the horses loading, they are sure to go off at 1-9 as the entire world will take 2.80 on a horse who is a natural 1-5 or 1-9 shot.

Its smart to make your largest bets early and hope you get the "Drift" of correction....sometimes it doesnt correct enough and the horse ends up paying shorter than the biggest bettors were hoping for, but its smart to get your bets in early and let "force" other people to bet someone else.

sammy the sage
03-01-2014, 07:11 PM
Why would anyone bet to Win on a 1/9 shot when Show would pay the same? Am I missing something?

to answer this properly...would have to move thread to off topic...because the is NO LOGICAL reason...none, nada, zippo....

BettinBilly
03-01-2014, 08:14 PM
Large bettors load up on horses like this early in the betting and hope the other bettors "adjust" the prices and their winner drifts up, at least drifts up to higher than 2.10.....

Ding Ding Ding.... Yep. ;):ThmbUp:

Fingal
03-02-2014, 12:10 PM
For me the question is why would any one bet a 1/9 shot to win let alone to show ?

PaceAdvantage
03-02-2014, 12:32 PM
Large bettors load up on horses like this early in the betting and hope the other bettors "adjust" the prices and their winner drifts up, at least drifts up to higher than 2.10You think large bettors do a lot of hoping? :lol:

Doubtful.

Saratoga_Mike
03-02-2014, 01:47 PM
to answer this properly...would have to move thread to off topic...because the is NO LOGICAL reason...none, nada, zippo....

I thought the rebate response made sense, but I don't know a lot about rebates. Why was that answer illogical?

iceknight
03-02-2014, 02:16 PM
For me the question is why would any one bet a 1/9 shot to win let alone to show ? ?? What. a horse becomes a 1/9 shot only when large money gets bet on it. If noone bets on it, it will remain a 99-1 shot.

cj
03-02-2014, 06:44 PM
You think large bettors do a lot of hoping? :lol:

Doubtful.

Believe it or not, I was told this by a very big bettor once. At smaller tracks especially, he likes to bet on horses that will be heavy favorites for this very reason, to discourage others from betting on the horse. It also helps keep "conditional" wagers off the horses he wants to bet.

Robert Fischer
03-02-2014, 07:26 PM
?? What. a horse becomes a 1/9 shot only when large money gets bet on it. If noone bets on it, it will remain a 99-1 shot.
http://www.yogiberra.com/images/3dyogi.jpg"Nobody bets a 1/9 shot"

traynor
03-02-2014, 07:40 PM
Believe it or not, I was told this by a very big bettor once. At smaller tracks especially, he likes to bet on horses that will be heavy favorites for this very reason, to discourage others from betting on the horse. It also helps keep "conditional" wagers off the horses he wants to bet.

Exactly. If one really believes a horse will win, the more money one can get down on it, the better.

burnsy
03-03-2014, 07:03 AM

This is true, even at the bigger tracks. If you can't be a whale and you are a "smaller fish" , its best to be a shark and take a bite of the blubber. It doesn't matter how much is bet, as much as it matters more who is right...after the race is run. Chalk still loses 66% of the time, you can catch them when they are wrong and bite a big chunk of the pool with way less then they bet. I can't afford to be a whale, when I do agree with them I move on to other pools.....the exacta, double or picks. Forget the whales, its better to know your place in the food chain and to bet accordingly. Nothing is more rewarding than biting them in the ass when they are wrong......but you also have to know when to "swim" with them...that takes good handicapping and judgment skills. You have to know if the horse they are hammering, is worth a dime...ON YOUR OWN! 1-9, I'll let someone else cash that.....good for you.......

HUSKER55
03-03-2014, 09:53 AM
good bad right or wrong,.....who bets a 1/9 horse? If your numbers say your second pick doesn't have a snowballs chance, skip the race. A show bet pays about as much as the bank,...so I suppose.

I think it goes to "ones comfort zone".

Valuist
03-03-2014, 10:43 AM
You think large bettors do a lot of hoping? :lol:

Doubtful.

Sure they do. But they know they can scare some other bettors off the horse and the price usually comes up. In some cases it comes up considerably. A month or so ago at Gulfstream, there was an Unbridled colt who opened up at 1-5 with $2,000 in the win pool at the open. The horse didn't even figure to be favored. But by the time the race was over, the horse ended up paying around $30.