PDA

View Full Version : The Masters

Bubbles
04-08-2004, 01:59 PM
1) Sandy Lyle, who many think is a washed-up golfer, shot a very respectable even-par 72, and as of 1:50 Eastern, he was tied for 13th, ahead of such golfers as Sergio Garcia, Justin Leonard, and Scott Verplank.

2) Jack Nicklaus, a living legend, is -1 at the time of this post. He's tied for sixth right now.

I'd love to hear thoughts on this year's tournament at Augusta, as well as predictions, feelings, etc. Personally, I think people are underestimating Mike Weir. He may not win, but this is the same course where he had only 108 (?) putts last year. He's going to surprise a lot of people. Any other Masters enthusiasts out there?

schweitz
04-08-2004, 03:00 PM
Bubbles,

I would like to see John Daly do well---most likely winner in my opinion is Vijay Singh---Tiger doesn't seem do be on his game lately.

Bubbles
04-08-2004, 04:48 PM
Play's been suspended. Justin Rose is your leader at -5, by two shots over Chris DiMarco.

Bubbles
04-08-2004, 07:02 PM
Nicklaus leading Woods by three shots at 7:00 Eastern on Thursday. Who wouldah thunk it? ;)

schweitz
04-09-2004, 10:15 AM
Daly shoots a 78--out of it

Vijay shoots a 75---not out of it yet

Bubbles
04-09-2004, 01:18 PM
KJ Choi has made a huge move. He's now tied for the lead after going -5 on his first ten holes today. This Masters is set to be a wide-open shootout.

schweitz
04-09-2004, 02:23 PM
Most of the time its decided on the last 6 holes on Sunday---always interesting.

Bubbles
04-09-2004, 04:48 PM
I like Olazabal's chances in here. He's two back going into moving day, and has won here twice before, so you know he can play this course. Should be a major factor heading into the weekend.

syyamo
04-10-2004, 10:03 AM
Watched the final walk (it wasn't golf in my opinion) of Arnie yesterday. It was a fitting tribute and the end of an era - couldn't help but become a bit misty-eyed.

One comment stuck with me: one of the commentators (Jim Nance?) stated golf is the only game that allows a older person to compete. ? He considers what Arnie has done for the past 20 or so years competing?

He should look at someone like Pincay (or The Shoe - you get the point) and then talk about competing in the later years of life.

Bubbles
04-11-2004, 03:32 PM
Ernie Els has charged to the front today. He leads after an eagle on the 8th. This is still very much anyone's tournament. -7 and -8 look like really good numbers to win this tournament.

cj
04-11-2004, 05:12 PM
Phil will not go away...what a shot on 14!!!

penguinfan
04-11-2004, 05:52 PM
Please do not let Mickleson win:mad:

penguinfan
04-11-2004, 05:53 PM
Please Phil Bogey 18 and fade off into oblivian.

penguinfan
04-11-2004, 06:06 PM
A sad, sad day for golf.

Tee
04-11-2004, 06:08 PM
I've been watching for many, many years & this years Masters has to be one if not the best that I have seen.

Luck went Phil Mickelson's way today with Dimarco showing him the way on the 18th green.

The floodgates may have just opened in the career of Phil Mickelson.

JustRalph
04-11-2004, 06:24 PM
Originally posted by teeitup
I've been watching for many, many years & this years Masters has to be one if not the best that I have seen.

Luck went Phil Mickelson's way today with Dimarco showing him the way on the 18th green.

The floodgates may have just opened in the career of Phil Mickelson.

18 years ago this week.......Nicklaus Wins his last Masters coming from 3 down on the last nine...........I was stuck in Caribou Maine watching while it snowed outside.......riveted to the TV while screaming for Jack (hometown boy) on every shot.

But this was pretty good. When that shot rolled around the outside it sure made for some drama..........he deserved one.

SilverSow
04-11-2004, 06:38 PM
Hi all,

What a great afternoon of golf... best Masters since '86 when Jack charged down the back side... Mickelson just looked like he was having a blast all weekend... great to see...

Dave

:)

blind squirrel
04-11-2004, 08:01 PM
"a cinderella story"....this is the only GOLF tournament
i watch....a rite of spring like the DERBY.

Bubbles
04-11-2004, 10:13 PM
What made it so great was that nobody's game had to die for Mickelson to win. Els was getting up and down from everywhere on the golf course today. Mickelson just played spectacular golf. Made putts when he needed to, didn't flinch down the backside, and won the way a tournament should be won. Hats off to Phil, and here's hoping he wins a few more.

cj
04-12-2004, 06:04 AM
Outstanding day of golf, especially with such a limited number of tracks running! Right now, Phil is the best in the world, better than the slumping Tiger even. Maybe this will wake Woods up a little.

shanta
04-12-2004, 09:04 AM
since tiger parted ways with his longtime siwng coach butch harmon his results in the majors have gone south big time. i believe he is now 0 for 7 or 8 since he said adios to harmon. tiger wanted to restrict what harmon would say publicly about what they were working on and this and that and harmon was not about to be muzzled. congrats to Phil. that was a long time coming! i loved the shot in the scorer's tent after he had won of his little daughter waving thru the window!!!
Richie:)

David McKenzie
04-12-2004, 11:40 AM
That was the most exciting Masters I've seen, and you didn't even have to be a golf fan to appreciate:

Two hole-in-ones
234 Yards to "in the cup"
The ding dong lead back and forth
All the overnight leaders fading and the underdogs catching up
A charismatic Phil who'd never won a "Big One" vying for the win
The way Phil birdied his way to victory
The last 15' putt to snag the victory by one
The fans' reaction to the win
The visible joy of Phil's family

Congrats, Phil!

delayjf
04-12-2004, 11:56 AM
I heard a rumor that privacy was also a big issue with Fluff and Tiger and ultimately that why he let him go. Not sure if that is true, I know Steve and Tiger have been good friends for a while, so maybe it would have happened anyway.