PDA

View Full Version : March Horseplayer Monthly PDF Released (free). 32 pages

DeanT
02-26-2014, 12:33 AM
Hi Everyone,

This month's free PDF is out.

A special thanks to a Paceadvantage thread starter on blinkers on first timers for a column and stats idea, and the venerable "Mountain Man" who wrote a book on Mountaineer tips :)

And thanks for letting us post this Mike.

http://www.horseplayersassociation.org/hanamonthly.html

Barry Meadow kicks it off looking at odds lines, followed by an excellent article by Bruno de Julio, and our Cover Story, “A Review of Esquire’s Horseplayers” by Jerod Dinkin. Twinspires’ Jeremy Clemons answers eight questions and Larry Collmus gives one dandy interview. Mark Patterson of Mountaineer shares tips and tricks, Doug McPherson lends his thoughts on Quarter Horse bias. In the harness section, Garnet Barnsdale looks at a “Trident” of handicapping.

JJ Hysell gives us her kick butt Derby Top Five, the WirePlayers boys and girls share their top ten. Mark Midland tells us why he thinks bigger tournaments are working at Derby Wars. We get some “FTS” and “STS” insight with Art Parker.

The Back Page shares some trainer stats from database handicapper Jeff Platt, that to our knowledge, are not published anywhere.

This month's cover:

Robert Fischer
02-26-2014, 12:45 PM
Very cool

Especially with the cover story connection to the Horseplayers TV-show.

Thanks for posting this Dean.

DeanT
02-26-2014, 01:59 PM
Thanks for reading Robert.

We've been super happy with the downloads and response. Candice Curtis from Horse Racing nation did the cover for us. She knows what she's doing, unlike us :)

cutchemist42
02-26-2014, 04:27 PM
Great stuff, read through it at lunch. I know its not the best track, but I'm happy to get Mountaineer back this weekend. I just don't like Charlestown and Penn (Delta has been decent to me though) Was really glad to see Mark interview for that reason.

DeanT
02-26-2014, 06:03 PM
Mark is the man. He loves the game.

Thanks for reading the mag!

DeanT
02-27-2014, 06:01 PM
Thanks to Ray Paulick for linking "Horseplayers"

http://www.paulickreport.com/news/ray-s-paddock/dinkin-on-horseplayers-we-do-what-they-do/

“Horseplayers” has moments that exemplify how much the typical handicapper loves the equine athletes, and this is an important element to convey to the audience. One of the most misunderstood notions about us is that the horse is nothing more than a means to an end, a number on a Racing Form. After all, we’re just degenerates, right? I’ve been around some hardened gamblers and seen them cry when a horse breaks down – it means something to most horseplayers.

In one of the episodes, Peter Rotondo Sr. is practically moved to tears recalling having seen Secretariat live at Belmont Park in 1973. This is a big part of why we love the game, and this shouldn’t be forgotten. We all have a goose bump moment like that; my first was Inside Information winning the Distaff in 1995. Every so often I watch Rachel Alexandra’s Kentucky Oaks and can feel the hairs stand up on my neck.

JohnGalt1
03-01-2014, 08:59 AM
I appreciate that it is more handicapping/gambling oriented.