PDA

View Full Version : Environmental Question

sam4022
02-24-2014, 11:18 AM
If humans, including today’s environmentalists, existed during the Jurassic period would there have been an effort to save the dinosaurs and if successful, would we be here and what might the world look like today?

FantasticDan
02-24-2014, 11:37 AM
Hey, what about if Admiral Kirk and crew went back in time to the Jurassic period and brought back a couple dinosaurs, thus saving the species? How great would that be?

"Admiral, there be dinosaurs here!"

4CM8tTG9Yig

Marshall Bennett
02-24-2014, 11:58 AM
Man probably would have evolved as he did and eliminated the dinosaurs himself. No way the two could have co-existed, one or possibly both would have become extinct.

tucker6
02-24-2014, 12:24 PM
Man probably would have evolved as he did and eliminated the dinosaurs himself. No way the two could have co-existed, one or possibly both would have become extinct.
Maybe you forgot, but man and dinosaur co-existed on the Fred Flintstone show, so there is a precedent. The fact that the dinosaur is now extinct probably proves your first point correct in that as we progressed from the dinosaur to mechanical machinery in the quarry, we found less use for the big lugs and eliminated them. Sorta like sending our jobs overseas.

hcap
02-24-2014, 12:58 PM
Maybe you forgot, but man and dinosaur co-existed on the Fred Flintstone show, so there is a precedent. The fact that the dinosaur is now extinct probably proves your first point correct in that as we progressed from the dinosaur to mechanical machinery in the quarry, we found less use for the big lugs and eliminated them. Sorta like sending our jobs overseas.The first time I have ever agreed with you.

Except the biblical flood sent them underseas :rolleyes:

You know who is the board expert. Ask him

tucker6
02-24-2014, 02:25 PM
The first time I have ever agreed with you.

Except the biblical flood sent them underseas :rolleyes:

You know who is the board expert. Ask him
I would suggest that you largely agree with me, but your ego gets in the way of your common sense. ;)

hcap
02-24-2014, 03:11 PM
I would suggest that you largely agree with me, but your ego gets in the way of your common sense. ;)That would be the facts getting in the way :lol:

Actor
02-24-2014, 07:02 PM
If humans, including today’s environmentalists, existed during the Jurassic period would there have been an effort to save the dinosaurs and if successful, would we be here and what might the world look like today?The dominant theory today is that an asteroid killed the dinosaurs. If that's the case then forget the dinosaurs. We would have been preoccupied with saving ourselves.

fast4522
02-24-2014, 07:26 PM
Nothing will save you heathen's, when the time comes you will be alone.

hcap
02-24-2014, 10:26 PM
Nothing will save you heathen's, when the time comes you will be alone.

Fast is the man!.......playing his repetitious annoying same four note tuba medley.

/gz50-g9wHNE?

therussmeister
02-24-2014, 11:25 PM
If humans, including today’s environmentalists, existed during the Jurassic period would there have been an effort to save the dinosaurs and if successful, would we be here and what might the world look like today?
I can answer in three words. Or is it one word?

Yabba-Dabba-Doo!

PaceAdvantage
02-25-2014, 02:24 AM
Why the hell can't people answer an honest question with an honest answer anymore?

All it is these days is snarky comment after wise ass comment...

JustRalph
02-25-2014, 02:56 AM
The dominant theory today is that an asteroid killed the dinosaurs. If that's the case then forget the dinosaurs. We would have been preoccupied with saving ourselves.

gotta agree with this one.........

This is a weird question btw.........

TJDave
02-25-2014, 02:58 AM
Why the hell can't people answer an honest question with an honest answer anymore?

Honest question? ;)

senortout
02-25-2014, 03:33 AM
No, because they are hard to stable, expensive to feed and very hard to train, let alone break from the gate.

rastajenk
02-25-2014, 06:25 AM
But you could eat off one for days. Probably tastes like chicken.

hcap
02-25-2014, 06:33 AM

Why do I get the feeling you are about to vent on tree-hugging, eco-freakish, namby-pamby, unrealistic Green piece pinko libs?

Just like the silly original question did?
I'll see your "free-market" idol worship and raise you 2 Love Canals. :lol:

rastajenk
02-25-2014, 06:38 AM
And the eggs. Ooh, those eggs. One omelet could feed an entire clan. :jump:

hcap
02-25-2014, 06:48 AM
And the eggs. Ooh, those eggs. One omelet could feed an entire clan. :jump:Gee, why stop there?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Entelodont

http://0.tqn.com/d/dinosaurs/1/0/u/J/-/-/embolotheriumDB.jpg

Entelodont
Early Miocene

Entelodonts, sometimes nicknamed hell pigs or terminator pigs,[1] are an extinct family of pig-like omnivores endemic to forests and plains of North America, Europe, and Asia from the middle Eocene to early Miocene epochs (37.2—16.3 million years ago), existing for about 21 million years.[2]

Bacon and Eggs anyone? :lol:

fast4522
02-25-2014, 07:07 AM
There is nothing man can do when dealing with events that occur today with the technology of our day. Sure today we might be able to detect something big moving extraordinarily fast, but getting out in front of it to stop it is ludicrous. Equally ridiculous is the thought that man is causing global warming and can prevent something bad. Some people watch way too much television and movies, YOU, your life, your shared thought and beliefs are all insignificant period. All things human have a end, this is the way science ultimately proves out.

Grits
02-25-2014, 09:12 AM

To do so, takes thought and writing skill. Both are in short supply, online. Keep in mind, its all about the flash, the burst. Why think, or write, when you can turn out smart ass in seconds, keeping attention focused on you throughout the day? War And Peace was boring. But then, too, so was the class clown. One can never be serious on the internet. Its not cool. ;)

Grits
02-25-2014, 09:19 AM
Why do I get the feeling you are about to vent on tree-hugging, eco-freakish, namby-pamby, unrealistic Green piece pinko libs?

Just like the silly original question did?
I'll see your "free-market" idol worship and raise you 2 Love Canals. :lol:

But this? Is damn funny. Hcap is always far better than basic smart ass of elementary level.
:lol::lol::lol:

sam4022
02-25-2014, 10:21 AM
Thanks for the reset comment....they were starting to make me believe that a tuba player's bad medley drove the dinosaurs away.

sam4022
02-25-2014, 10:31 AM
Comments like this from both the LEFT AND RIGHT (hcap & others)are what stops lots of honest folks from joining discussions outside of racing topics. Personal attacks and self-serving comments only diminish those making them.

Grits
02-25-2014, 11:21 AM
Comments like this from both the LEFT AND RIGHT (hcap & others)are what stops lots of honest folks from joining discussions outside of racing topics. Personal attacks and self-serving comments only diminish those making them.

I had no idea I was responding to a comment wherein the original poster is a writer. Welcome to Pace Advantage. Enjoy your time here.

hcap
02-25-2014, 11:49 AM
If humans, including today’s environmentalists, existed during the Jurassic period would there have been an effort to save the dinosaurs and if successful, would we be here and what might the world look like today?Is this really a serious question? Kinda tough to take your concern and and ponder ramifications without cracking a smile, or wondering about just how tree-huggers should respond fairly. Being one myself, and aware of capitalism on steroids SERIOUSLY ruining the world around us, and the rather enthusiastic open tree hugger hunting season going on around here. Just look at what happens if you come out in favor of environmental regulations or reining in global warming.

Then talk about " personal attacks "

hcap
02-25-2014, 12:22 PM
But this? Is damn funny. Hcap is always far better than basic smart ass of elementary level.
:lol::lol::lol:Thanks Grits, but basic smart ass sometimes deserves basic smart ass rep·ar·tee. Unfortunately the smart ass rep·ar·tee-er sometimes gets singled out as the only smart ass-er here, and accused of initiating all the smart ass stuff in the first place! .

Believe me I know :D

sam4022
02-25-2014, 12:30 PM
Question was serious...research for upcoming book. I apologize if you (hcap) thought I was hunting any specific group. You should continue your activities in support of needed environmental correctness with facts and less vitriol.

Everyone should remember Mark Twain's famous quote: "It's best to be thought a fool than open your mouth and erase all doubt".

sam4022
02-26-2014, 08:40 AM
I had no idea I was responding to a comment wherein the original poster is a writer. Welcome to Pace Advantage. Enjoy your time here.

Thanks for the welcome.

My current novel is "My Days in the Beast" (pen name is J.C.Clark) subtitled "The Diary of a Holy Warrior in America" (Amazon). Supporting site is Terror101.com. Book in research supposes dinosaurs & humans co-existing in a modern society hence my question to start this thread.

Again, thank you and best wishes to all.

hcap
02-26-2014, 09:15 AM
Thanks for the welcome.

My current novel is "My Days in the Beast" (pen name is J.C.Clark) subtitled "The Diary of a Holy Warrior in America" (Amazon). Supporting site is Terror101.com. Book in research supposes dinosaurs & humans co-existing in a modern society hence my question to start this thread.

Again, thank you and best wishes to all.Modern society? I would think if humans evolved in the shadow of dinosaurs, that alone would alter human society to a very different one that we have now. Out of curiosity, how do you deal with the impact of constant fearsome predators, perhaps nudging technology in your alternative human society in different directions than how our technology evolved? Maturing amidst the not so friendly neighborhood Tyrannosaurus or Allosaurus, I think would require more than opposable thumbs and walking upright. How did early man get past just early?

Maybe a prequel is in order? :lol:

Marshall Bennett
02-26-2014, 11:41 AM
I'd think the food source dinosaurs would require, particularly the larger species, would make it almost impossible for the two to co-exist. They were massive vegetarians as well. Animal species even today risk extinction due to the concentration of man on their habitat. Think of the space dinosaurs would demand.

sam4022
02-26-2014, 12:12 PM
Modern society? I would think if humans evolved in the shadow of dinosaurs, that alone would alter human society to a very different one that we have now. Out of curiosity, how do you deal with the impact of constant fearsome predators, perhaps nudging technology in your alternative human society in different directions than how our technology evolved? Maturing amidst the not so friendly neighborhood Tyrannosaurus or Allosaurus, I think would require more than opposable thumbs and walking upright. How did early man get past just early?

Maybe a prequel is in order? :lol:

After 30 years designing small and large scale computer systems I'm still amazed that what I can hold in my hand has more power than my first several data centers (Prudential Insurance / American Express). In Jurassic Park it was stated that "Nature always finds a way" in my alternative society and my experience technology always found a way. Also, it's not maturing among Tyrannosaurus or Allosaurus that's the whole problem, dealing with evolving politicians is the real trick.

How did early man get past just early?........Don't know yet. Perhaps tubas playing Michael Jackson's 'Beat It' very loudly over and over drove away all dangers.

Thanks for the comment. Best wishes.

Tom
02-26-2014, 12:23 PM
How did early man get past just early?........Don't know yet. Perhaps tubas playing Michael Jackson's 'Beat It' very loudly over and over drove away all dangers.

I think that was Oklahoma State! :D

Welcome to PA!

cj's dad
02-26-2014, 12:37 PM
Thank God these aren't around. Imagine wiping Pterodactyl poop off of your windshield.

Marshall Bennett
02-26-2014, 03:24 PM
Or hitting one driving over a bridge. :)