PDA

View Full Version : Daytona

davew
02-24-2014, 09:27 AM
They had a 6 hour rain delay.

I can not understand why people watch this (and sit in the rain waiting) - can someone explain?

-do they like speed?
-do they watch hoping to see someone die?
-are they car tinkerers / street racers themselves?

Grits
02-27-2014, 05:05 PM
NASCAR fans love their sport. Just as we love ours. As for anyone dying, or even being paralyzed, I think you better look at the numbers on this one we watch instead of asking a stupid question about another one!! Having been to only three of these races, yes, the SPEED is mind boggling. What a rush! ... I know little about this one, but I do know there is great fan devotion to any and all outdoor sports--rain, snow, or blow. The exact same is true of this one. The most prestigious event in Motorsports being, this race, the DAYTONA 500.

The crowd sitting through the rain delay went wild with excitement--they witnessed some pretty cool history made. Seeing the winner take it for THE 2ND TIME. His daddy won it, too.

Sadly, though, in 2001, yes, there was a death on the racetrack. His daddy, the legendary Dale Earnhardt, Sr., as you may know, was killed when his car hit the outside wall in the final turn on the last lap of the race.

I was in Florida, watching horses run at Gulfstream. I went to breakfast, sat down, and my server handed me the Miami Herald. There on the front cover was the photo of Dale, Sr.'s car surrounded by those working to free him. As I read, tears rolled down my face. Their sport had lost their legend and, to me, it was horrific. Devastating for all fans.

You may not get why people sit in the rain at NASCAR races; I may not get why people sit in Lambeau Field in January at -20 below watching San Francisco and Green Bay. But, its OK because the fans do.

Snarky put downs make only "us" look foolish--no one else. Those who belittle a sport they obviously care nothing about, and likely, know even less about usually don't care about explanations. Still, I given you one--as best I can.

Jay Trotter
02-27-2014, 05:46 PM
Sir David Attenborough details this so thrilling sport as no other possibly could. What athleticism, what intensity and courage.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=777_1392789840

ROTF :lol::lol::lol:This response was a bit snarky too!:faint:

Robert Fischer
02-27-2014, 06:05 PM
It's not unusual for nascar fans to combine betting, cooking out, and drinking.

Grits
02-27-2014, 06:24 PM
This response was a bit snarky too!:faint:

Jay, you got me, indeed. Its real, real hard for me to get excited about curling. Maybe its the broom. :lol:

But I, at least, try to respect other's passion for it. Sorta.

GaryG
02-27-2014, 06:26 PM
Most NASCAR fans are automobile enthusiasts. If you know how race cars work you can understand the strategy and tactics. There were only four things I ever cared about: girls, horses, cars and music, usually in that order. Most real fans also have certain drivers that they like, just as sports fans have favorite teams. Seeing Junior get that win would have made it worth it for me, I wish I had been there.

Jay Trotter
02-27-2014, 06:27 PM
Jay, you got me, indeed. Its real, real hard for me to get excited about curling. Maybe its the broom. :lol:

But I, at least, try to respect other's passion for it. Sorta.I'm Canadian and I hate curling with a passion. For some reason it is a huge television rating sport up here though. I don't get it. But then I don't get cars going around in a circle either.

Grits
02-27-2014, 06:59 PM
Most NASCAR fans are automobile enthusiasts. If you know how race cars work you can understand the strategy and tactics. There were only four things I ever cared about: girls, horses, cars and music, usually in that order. Most real fans also have certain drivers that they like, just as sports fans have favorite teams. Seeing Junior get that win would have made it worth it for me, I wish I had been there.

Gary, I thought it was GREAT. I was at my brother's for dinner on Sunday evening. Both of my brothers enjoy NASCAR. I knew there was a rain delay. When I got up Monday morning, turned on my laptop and saw that Junior had won, I was beyond thrilled, and so were my brothers and my sister in law.

There was a note somewhere that he had opened a Twitter account. I looked at it today. He got a half million followers, or whatever they're called, in less than 3 days. I was so happy for him. His dad would be proud, no doubt. On Tuesday, I believe it was, his jet took off, and when airborne, he did a long, long chat with fans. It was pretty cool. ;)

Jay, you're Canadian, and you don't like Curling? Maybe its the broom for you, too. :lol:

People have asked me, "why do you love watching horses running in circles so much?"

I figure they're just stupid, and don't know anything about the ultimate athlete!

JustRalph
02-27-2014, 07:57 PM
There are very few things that bring a tear to my eye. This win did. Having lived among the Nascar set and getting to know some of them, it made me even a bigger fan, it truly is a family sport. From the participants to the fans. Lots of life reflected in this sport. Families who have lost brothers, sons and fathers to the sport.

If Roger Staubach had lost two sons in the sport, then he might know what Bobby Allison feels. And all the Allison fans.

If Mike Ditka had a grandson killed during a game, he might know what Richard Petty feels like, and all the Petty fans.

If Ken Griffey Jr was chasing a fly ball in center field and watched his dad chasing the same fly ball from right field, run into the wall and kill himself, he might know how Dale Jr and all the Earnhardt fans felt on that fateful day. Only Ken Griffey Sr was nowhere near the stature of Earnhardt Sr in their respective sports.

Gary gets it right. Tons of strategy involved. Lots of technical stuff nowadays too.
If you don't get it, I feel sorry for you. It's better than baseball, and I love baseball. It's changed a ton over the last 15 yrs and I bitch and moan about it. But as many many tweeted on Sunday night, "for once all is right with the world"

Again, it's a family thing too.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bQfGn2VzK7k&sns

Happy tears.......listen to the little boys response to his sister

bQfGn2VzK7k

More here

http://thebiglead.com/2014/02/24/video-dale-earnhardt-jr-wins-daytona-500-fans-freak-out/

Grits
02-27-2014, 09:34 PM
Ralph, I just finished watching Jr's post race press conference and even with such adrenalin pumping, and too, on his twitter page today, he's so gracious. Not cocky, nothing cute, nothing wise mouth. Just solid and completely confident. Most of all, able to back up his talk. A gentlemen.

Thanks for sharing the videos. :kiss:

The sport of thoroughbred racing swears its future is in the 30 something at Keeneland, Belmont, Santa Anita, wherever.... yeah right. This game should pray that the money of a Rick Hendrick or a Roger Penske comes down the pike and pours such money into it.

NASCAR got a big, needed, shot in its financial arm, all pulled off by the winner of this one race.