PDA

View Full Version : Quotation from "Braveheart"

DJofSD
02-23-2014, 08:38 AM
There is a difference between us. You think the people of this country exist to provide you with position. I think your position exists to provide the people with freedom. And I go to make sure they have it.

I doubt any politician alive today would even think about uttering a phrase like that.

Rookies
02-23-2014, 09:38 AM
I doubt any politician alive today would even think about uttering a phrase like that.

Nope. And while they might not necessarily used the word 'freedom' (as the Scots were taking a shot at overthrowing English dominance and their requisite servitude), other words of, at least, service to country and the people were often used during my own lifetime.

Now, it's a Capone protection racket.

"IF I do this, what do I get out of it from you?" SICKENING! :mad:

So, service and altruism are out with yesterday's trash!

HUSKER55
02-23-2014, 10:29 AM
While I agree with the positon, I seriously doubt I will live long enough to hear it.

But here is a thought. Not to throw an iron at you, but suppose a politician did say it?

Suppose for the sake of debate it was Sarah?

Would the words still hold true? What would you do? (after you recover from your heart attack..of coarse) :D

DJofSD
02-23-2014, 10:35 AM
If a political type actually did say words like that, I'd say he's a man of principles. And, it would not make any difference to me what is his political bent.
Just as the liars and thieves are found on both sides of the aisle, a person of greater integrity can appear from anywhere.

Tom
02-23-2014, 10:46 AM
If a political type actually did say words like that, I'd say he's a man of principles.

I'd say he was a liar.

OntheRail
02-23-2014, 12:09 PM
We've heard cheap blather for 7 years with action and deeds in 180 to them for 5 of them.

From Most Transparent... All Bills on CNN to Bush is a Traitor for 5 Trillion add in eight... Barry's add 8 Trillion in five.

Add in working across the aisle and compromise to Executive Order regime.

And lets not forget the.... Period.

Words are cheap... actions speaks volumes.

thaskalos
02-23-2014, 01:29 PM
I'd say he was a liar.
You took the words out of my mouth. :ThmbUp:

Of course someone will eventually say it. They'll say anything to get elected. The only reason someone hasn't already said it is probably because this quote has gone largely unnoticed. Politicians tend to laugh at such things, and don't usually commit them to memory. But just watch; some desperate candidate will eventually run out of material...and out this quote will come -- to thundering applause.

But saying it, and DOING it...are two different things.

BlueShoe
02-23-2014, 02:21 PM
And I would wager every dollar that I could lay my hands on that neither did William Wallace. Noble words indeed, but they came from a Hollywood script writer. Braveheart is woefully inaccurate from a historical standpoint. To view most of the errors, suggest visiting the IMDB site and reading the trivia and goofs pages. In reality, Wallace and the other Scottish leaders were fighting to oust the oppressive English overlords from Scotland so that they could then become the oppressive overlords of Scotland.

DJofSD
02-23-2014, 02:46 PM
And I would wager every dollar that I could lay my hands on that neither did William Wallace. Noble words indeed, but they came from a Hollywood script writer. Braveheart is woefully inaccurate from a historical standpoint. To view most of the errors, suggest visiting the IMDB site and reading the trivia and goofs pages. In reality, Wallace and the other Scottish leaders were fighting to oust the oppressive English overlords from Scotland so that they could then become the oppressive overlords of Scotland.
OK, first, I did not say William Wallace had said it. I just cited where the line originated.

Next, I do not dispute the history nor the underlying reasons behind the conflict between the clans and their overlord. However, with that aside, it does not change the quotation nor the message.