PDA

View Full Version : Ria Antonia Owner

Mineshaft
02-22-2014, 07:29 PM
wonder if he still thinks she can beat the boys or compete with the boys?

luisbe
02-22-2014, 07:50 PM
She already beat the boys breaking the maiden.

Mineshaft
02-22-2014, 08:04 PM

he was talking after the Breeders Cup win he wanted to take on the boys. Might have needed a race after that but she needs to stay with the girls

Grits
02-22-2014, 08:05 PM

Untapable and her connections didn't seem impressed or detered by such silliness.

luisbe
02-22-2014, 08:14 PM
he was talking after the Breeders Cup win he wanted to take on the boys. Might have needed a race after that but she needs to stay with the girls

Have you bet her after reading in DRF her trainer said she was not training as well as before the BC but the campaign has to start somewhere? -Probably not
Do I believe she belong to Derby trial? -No

Mineshaft
02-22-2014, 08:19 PM
Have you bet her after reading in DRF her trainer said she was not training as well as before the BC but the campaign has to start somewhere? -Probably not
Do I believe she belong to Derby trial? -No

haven't bet a single race today only college basketball

FantasticDan
02-27-2014, 11:21 AM
Per Claire Novak on Twitter, Jeremiah Englehart is no longer Ria Antonia's trainer. She's moving to Bob Baffert.

Englehart's twitter comment: I love having the rug pulled right out from underneath me, especially when it's someone you think you are so close to!! Best of Luck

Story now up:

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/83559/paolucci-moves-ria-antonia-to-baffert

classhandicapper
02-27-2014, 11:48 AM
Per Claire Novak on Twitter, Jeremiah Englehart is no longer Ria Antonia's trainer. She's moving to Bob Baffert.

Englehart's twitter comment: I love having the rug pulled right out from underneath me, especially when it's someone you think you are so close to!! Best of Luck

Story now up:

http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/83559/paolucci-moves-ria-antonia-to-baffert

That owner seems a bit impulsive (and I'm being generous). This makes no sense. In a recent Bloodhorse article Englehart said the plan all along was to have her reach her peak in her 3rd race off the layoff. Untapable freaked in that last race. Other than that, she wasn't badly beaten for 2nd given she wasn't at her best yet. I'd want to keep the same trainer and either send her to CA later or under the care of an assistant or something.

the little guy
02-27-2014, 01:13 PM
I figured it would take two races before he took her away.

She will never win again.

Stillriledup
02-27-2014, 02:33 PM
That owner seems a bit impulsive (and I'm being generous). This makes no sense. In a recent Bloodhorse article Englehart said the plan all along was to have her reach her peak in her 3rd race off the layoff. Untapable freaked in that last race. Other than that, she wasn't badly beaten for 2nd given she wasn't at her best yet. I'd want to keep the same trainer and either send her to CA later or under the care of an assistant or something.

Seems like the trainer in question was being reasonable....why not just send her to Calif for the race and when she comes back, she goes to her previous trainer? From what i gather, the original trainer has been permanently fired.

Grits
02-27-2014, 03:20 PM
What a shame. The trainer's joy on the track after the BC win was a sight to behold. I didn't know a thing about the owners but I was happy for the trainer! I've had winning tickets on his horses in NY and sure wish him well.

For the owners, there's a saying they may want to remember, "what goes around comes around."

FantasticDan
02-27-2014, 03:23 PM
DRF article (http://www.drf.com/news/ria-antonia-headed-baffert-prepare-santa-anita-oaks)

Mineshaft
02-27-2014, 04:17 PM
Hope the filly likes to work every 7 days and go fast while doing it.

Rex Phinney
02-27-2014, 04:51 PM
Untapable and her connections didn't seem impressed or detered by such silliness.

Let me remind everyone that Ria Antonia needed the stewards to put her up over She's a Tiger, who came from the 10 hole, set a 1/2 fraction of 45.10 and still hit the wire first.

I'll never forget the classless celebration The connections of Ria Antonia on BC day. Not when you have the connections of She's a Tiger devastated and even worse Secret Compass fatally breaking down in the last half of the race.

TOTALLY CLASSLESS PRICK. I would pay a million dollars just to blast that guy in the face with a full mace spray. Maybe next time he can show up wearing something more than a Bro shirt and a gold chain. What a total moron this guy.

And Baffert, taking on this filly, mind you it was his horses bones these idiots where celebrating on top of. WOW.

WJ47
02-27-2014, 11:50 PM
I figured it would take two races before he took her away.

She will never win again.

I hope you're right! :)

Mineshaft
02-27-2014, 11:59 PM
Engelhart said he wanted to ship her out west yet the owner said it was because she didn't run good or train well enough up to the race so which is it?

pondman
02-28-2014, 01:17 PM
This happens every day in racing-- people get fired, lose races, and get bumped from mounts. The only reason it's news worthy is because it's tied to Baffert.

Grits
02-28-2014, 01:19 PM
This happens every day in racing-- people get fired, lose races, and get bumped from mounts. The only reason it's news worthy is because it's tied to Baffert.

Your assertion, I'm sorry, would be a mistake.

Rex Phinney
02-28-2014, 02:56 PM

It makes news because the owner is a twit, he thinks his horse is better than she is, and he isn't willing to listen to what the expert (the trainer) is telling him. So he found another expert.

He has already been afforded the opportunity to stand in the Breeders Cup winner's circle. And he is acting like the horse and trainer are underachieving. That's ridiculous.

Mineshaft
02-28-2014, 04:48 PM

Not every day a Grade 1 Breeders Cup winner gets transferred to another trainer.

lamboguy
02-28-2014, 04:54 PM
It makes news because the owner is a twit, he thinks his horse is better than she is, and he isn't willing to listen to what the expert (the trainer) is telling him. So he found another expert.

He has already been afforded the opportunity to stand in the Breeders Cup winner's circle. And he is acting like the horse and trainer are underachieving. That's ridiculous.
i met the guy twice. he is very aggressive and will make changes real fast in every thing he does in life. that's just the way he operates.

he's really a good guy, and i don't like what he just did with that move. he went from the front of the bus with Englehart, straight to the rear with Baffert.

Rex Phinney
02-28-2014, 06:54 PM
i met the guy twice. he is very aggressive and will make changes real fast in every thing he does in life. that's just the way he operates.

he's really a good guy, and i don't like what he just did with that move. he went from the front of the bus with Englehart, straight to the rear with Baffert.

I'm glad you think he is a really good guy, I saw him 100 feet away from me at the Breeders Cup on the track, and the way he acted when another owners horse was stripped of a Breeders Cup trophy and yet another's was losing her life. THE GUY IS A CLASSLESS PIECE OF SHIT. This just reinforces it.

FantasticDan
05-06-2014, 10:17 AM
After two losses with Baffert, Ria Antonia has now been moved to the barn of Tom Amoss, owner Looch is said to want a "midwest campaign". Rumor has it that Looch also wanted Ria to run in the Preakness, but Baffert objected.

the little guy
05-06-2014, 10:48 AM
After two losses with Baffert, Ria Antonia has now been moved to the barn of Tom Amoss, owner Looch is said to want a "midwest campaign". Rumor has it that Looch also wanted Ria to run in the Preakness, but Baffert objected.

My first winning opinion in a while.

FantasticDan
05-06-2014, 11:03 AM
DRF writer Marcus Hersh @DRFHersh now confirming Ria Antonia will be pointed to Preakness. :ThmbDown:

classhandicapper
05-06-2014, 11:10 AM
Avoiding Untapable = Good Idea

Running in Preakness = Bad Idea

The owner is impulsive and doesn't understand the ability of his own horse. It's a shame when that happens. I don't care about some clueless owner. A fool and his money are soon parted. It's a shame for the horse. She has some ability and could win some races if they ran her in the right spots.

FantasticDan
05-06-2014, 11:42 AM
Ria Antonia to Preakness (http://www.drf.com/news/preakness-ria-antonia-take-boys)

PaceAdvantage
05-06-2014, 12:39 PM
You mean owners call the shots sometimes? I wonder what that means for the Lukas thread where he takes all the heat for where/when a horse runs.... :lol:

classhandicapper
05-06-2014, 03:36 PM
You mean owners call the shots sometimes? I wonder what that means for the Lukas thread where he takes all the heat for where/when a horse runs.... :lol:

I would say it's highly unlikely all of Lukas's owners are making the same questionable decisions year after year (assuming any of them get to override him at all).

Serious question.

Has Lukas run Will Take Charge into the ground by shipping all over the country for every dance and not giving him a good long freshening?

I don't know the answer, but a LOT of people suggested that BEFORE his last race and bet against him. IMO a prudent trainer would at least give him a freshening off his last 2 sub par efforts assuming he came out of the race OK.

PaceAdvantage
05-06-2014, 04:20 PM
I did say "sometimes."

Not all the time. Obviously, Lukas has a great influence on an owner's decision.

In any event, I was betting against WTC in his last race, but it had nothing to do with Lukas or my belief he's over-raced/over-shipped.

Maybe he is over-raced and over-shipped. I have no idea, and neither does anyone else except for perhaps the folks closest to him on a day-in day-out basis.

classhandicapper
05-06-2014, 04:29 PM
In any event, I was betting against WTC in his last race, but it had nothing to do with Lukas or my belief he's over-raced/over-shipped.

Can I assume you bet against him because his figure going into that race was weaker than expected?

If so, that's why some people thought Lukas had over raced him.

People have seen this pattern before. A horse ships all over, gets involved in a lot of tough races without a break, and then finally goes off form badly. Usually you can't figure out the when. You just know that it even happens to some good horses if they are campaigned hard without a break. But when he ran a subpar figure, people started speculating the when was the Alysheba.

(I didn't bet the race but thought the risk of him going off form was higher than usual)

PaceAdvantage
05-06-2014, 04:35 PM
Can I assume you bet against him because his figure going into that race was weaker than expected?Not necessarily. I just though it was a tougher field than the odds dictated.

I thought there were a couple of horses who had a shot at beating him. I don't remember his figures being that drastically off in his last, but I would have to go back and look.

classhandicapper
05-06-2014, 04:43 PM
Not necessarily. I just though it was a tougher field than the odds dictated.

I thought there were a couple of horses who had a shot at beating him. I don't remember his figures being that drastically off in his last, but I would have to go back and look.

I didn't see everyone's figures for that race, but his Beyer was way down from his peak.

Stillriledup
05-06-2014, 04:55 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1T51dATOGkk :D

Rex Phinney
05-06-2014, 04:57 PM
This owner is out of control anyone willing to take on this horse at this point needs help, the mental kind.

PaceAdvantage
05-06-2014, 05:11 PM
This owner is out of control anyone willing to take on this horse at this point needs help, the mental kind.They really should just let him gallop around the track by himself for the Preakness and Belmont.

Don't even use a starting gate...he might get hurt...just hold a rope across the track like they do for jumpers...

ultracapper
05-06-2014, 07:02 PM
The owner is even making the decision whether she should wear blinkers or not. Amoss must have some experience in telling an owner to sit down and shut up, wouldn't you think? Maybe after hearing it from Baffert first, it might stick? Nahhh.

Stillriledup
05-06-2014, 08:52 PM
The owner is even making the decision whether she should wear blinkers or not. Amoss must have some experience in telling an owner to sit down and shut up, wouldn't you think? Maybe after hearing it from Baffert first, it might stick? Nahhh.

Maybe Cannon Shell or Chad can chime on on this one, but i would imagine that Baffert isnt taking instructions from these people. Could you imagine the phone call "i'd like to send you this horse, but you have to do whatever i say".

is that how it works? I don't know for sure, maybe Baffert is kowtowing to this guy, i'd lose respect for him if he did.

letswastemoney
05-06-2014, 09:23 PM
The Ria Antonia connections are getting more criticism than they should. Maybe she has no chance, but neither do a lot of horses in the race and they're still going to try.

A mid-pack finish and back to the fillies after.

Mineshaft
05-06-2014, 09:25 PM
Maybe Cannon Shell or Chad can chime on on this one, but i would imagine that Baffert isnt taking instructions from these people. Could you imagine the phone call "i'd like to send you this horse, but you have to do whatever i say".

is that how it works? I don't know for sure, maybe Baffert is kowtowing to this guy, i'd lose respect for him if he did.

I doubt seriously Baffert is doing what he says hence the horse is now with Amoss.

Mineshaft
05-11-2014, 10:29 AM
she worked this morning 47 and change

Amoss said they will make a decision no later than Monday.

lamboguy
05-11-2014, 10:59 AM
she worked this morning 47 and change

Amoss said they will make a decision no later than Monday.that's a pretty stupid work for a horse that is supposedly going to run in less than a week. she would have been better off without a work.

Mineshaft
05-11-2014, 11:49 AM
that's a pretty stupid work for a horse that is supposedly going to run in less than a week. she would have been better off without a work.

thats a D Wayne Lukas special

i agree if your going to run this week thats a stupid work

Stillriledup
05-17-2014, 03:59 PM
Why is this horse in the Preakness?

Anyone know?

And yes, if it was DWL he would be getting killed on the boards.

lamboguy
05-17-2014, 04:03 PM
because the guy wants her in the race

Stillriledup
05-17-2014, 04:15 PM
because the guy wants her in the race

I want to be in the race too, but i think you need a shot with a horse who can actually hit the board.

Or, maybe you don't.

Robert Fischer
05-17-2014, 04:18 PM
She's a tall filly with big hooves and a grinding style. She has a good post. Amoss knows how to have a horse ready.
I'm not picking her, but if she got 3rd or 4th I wouldn't be shocked.

If she was 50-1, I'd have her on some tickets. At 17-1 or whatever she is, I can't justify using her.

horses4courses
05-17-2014, 04:24 PM
Could happen.

The race she ran in the Oaks really implies that she has no business running in the Preakness. :ThmbDown:

Stillriledup
05-17-2014, 04:25 PM
Could happen.

The race she ran in the Oaks really implies that she has no business running in the Preakness. :ThmbDown:

We will see who knows more, these people or everyone else who think's they're biting off more than they could chew.

nearco
05-17-2014, 06:47 PM
Her owner is the real Dumb Ass partner.
His pre-race interview in the walkover.... wow, what an annoying twat.

Run Nicholas Run
05-17-2014, 06:49 PM
best play was the prop general a rod vs ria, easy $$$

anotherCAfan
05-17-2014, 06:52 PM
He did not carry himself well in that interview, to be sure.

Stillriledup
05-17-2014, 06:58 PM
best play was the prop general a rod vs ria, easy $$$

It was incredible how the "general public" bet her down to under 170-1 (her true odds). :D

outofthebox
05-17-2014, 06:59 PM
It was incredible how the "general public" bet her down to under 170-1 (her true odds). :DCrazy! Almost a million bet on her in the wps pools...

Robert Fischer
05-17-2014, 07:12 PM
Hard to tell much about her performance, after she charged up wide on the pace early.

I think it's pretty much a certainty that she was in fact an underlay.

These big days and decent field size and fan money... What more can you ask for?

horses4courses
05-17-2014, 07:14 PM

Bad karma after her DQ win in the Breeders' Cup.
What goes around comes around.
I've never seen such a classless bunch in the winners circle :ThmbDown:

They have their work cut out to get ever get back there with her.
Decent allowance, or F/M optional claimer - maybe?

Mineshaft
05-17-2014, 10:59 PM
and i thought Lukas was bad at mismanaging horses but this guy takes the cake

Stillriledup
05-17-2014, 11:10 PM
and i thought Lukas was bad at mismanaging horses but this guy takes the cake

Yeah, that was embarrassing.

Stillriledup
05-17-2014, 11:13 PM
Crazy! Almost a million bet on her in the wps pools...

Its absolutely astounding. That just goes to show you how crushing the takeout level is, you have clowns betting a million on a horse with no chance and the takeout turns so many break even players into losers and small winners into break even players.

I would have loved to lay 18 dollars to win 1 with the 'exchange'.

PaceAdvantage
05-18-2014, 12:31 AM
and i thought Lukas was bad at mismanaging horses but this guy takes the cakeYeah, Lukas is terrible...just look at his career resume if you need confirmation...

Then again, any time you're not posting about the Bald Fat Man is a good time...

Stillriledup
05-18-2014, 12:34 AM
Yeah, Lukas is terrible...just look at his career resume if you need confirmation...

Then again, any time you're not posting about the Bald Fat Man is a good time...

Career resume?

What does that have to do with how he manages individual horses?

PaceAdvantage
05-18-2014, 12:37 AM
Career resume?

What does that have to do with how he manages individual horses?He has the career resume of a man who clearly does not mismanage horses as a general rule. Trainers who mismanage horses as a general rule do not end up with the achievements this guy has.

But sure, out of the tons of horses he's had under his care over the many decades he has been in the game, pick and choose the ones that did not pan out...as if every runner was destined to be a champion and he's single handily responsible for ruining all the ones that didn't live up to expectations?

Why must I spell out the obvious to you?

Grits
05-18-2014, 12:46 AM
For some of us, malcontent is a large part of our DNA. Can't outgrow it, can't outrun it, can't remove it through therapy...cradle to grave. It gets worse with each decade.

(I'd rather be in hell with my back broke.) :faint:

Stillriledup
05-18-2014, 03:44 AM
He has the career resume of a man who clearly does not mismanage horses as a general rule. Trainers who mismanage horses as a general rule do not end up with the achievements this guy has.

But sure, out of the tons of horses he's had under his care over the many decades he has been in the game, pick and choose the ones that did not pan out...as if every runner was destined to be a champion and he's single handily responsible for ruining all the ones that didn't live up to expectations?

Why must I spell out the obvious to you?

No, we're not saying he "ruined" all that didnt live up to expectations, because t breds "dont make it" quite often, its not a snowy day in August in Miami when a thoroughbred doesn't make it to the track, i think we're talking about horses who he entered in major races who didnt belong and got "ruined' or had their careers stunted in some way. And, of course, all those horses are just opinions from handicappers and horseplayers who post at this website, its just an opinion, you don't have to agree if you don't want to.

If Ria Antonia was trained by Lukas and she ran in that race today and got beat a long way, he would have been fried by fans on boards such as this, maybe its not fair that Aamos gets a pass, maybe people "know" that the owner has his hand in when the horse races, so the trainer isn't blamed and quite possibly, Lukas would get blamed anyway if this was his filly, its probably a bad rap, maybe we ought to be talking about Ria Antonia's owner ruining (or trying to ruin) a nice horse and not Lukas.

Hambletonian
05-18-2014, 07:42 AM
when did Calvin Borel become an apprentice rider again?

Can't keep the horse straight out of the gate, lays all over Bayern and Ring Weekend for the first eighth, thought Rosie was going to punch him in the head at one point, rushes a horse with little natural speed right to the front, and then backs through the field.

When was the last time you saw a horse break like that, get rushed up and win? after that first eighth, the only way that horse could win would be to settle and hope the field goes too fast early and comes back to her.

Borel rode that race like an amateur. Which does not change the fact that she basically has the speed figs of a NW3 type and was not a serious contender.

Mineshaft
05-18-2014, 09:32 AM
Yeah, Lukas is terrible...just look at his career resume if you need confirmation...

If you cant look at how hes minmanaged horses then you will never get it. Lukas was once good hes not anymore plain and simple. He was the man in the 80's and 90's. Not anymore not even close. If you need more examples of mismanaged horses from Lukas let me know.

Was he terrible in the 80's and 90's? Nope he was on of the best. Since then how has he been? Mediocore at best.

GMB@BP
05-18-2014, 11:52 AM
No, we're not saying he "ruined" all that didnt live up to expectations, because t breds "dont make it" quite often, its not a snowy day in August in Miami when a thoroughbred doesn't make it to the track, i think we're talking about horses who he entered in major races who didnt belong and got "ruined' or had their careers stunted in some way. And, of course, all those horses are just opinions from handicappers and horseplayers who post at this website, its just an opinion, you don't have to agree if you don't want to.

If Ria Antonia was trained by Lukas and she ran in that race today and got beat a long way, he would have been fried by fans on boards such as this, maybe its not fair that Aamos gets a pass, maybe people "know" that the owner has his hand in when the horse races, so the trainer isn't blamed and quite possibly, Lukas would get blamed anyway if this was his filly, its probably a bad rap, maybe we ought to be talking about Ria Antonia's owner ruining (or trying to ruin) a nice horse and not Lukas.

Guy knows CD, get him away from there and he is a fish out of water.

PaceAdvantage
05-18-2014, 01:03 PM
If you cant look at how hes minmanaged horses then you will never get it. Lukas was once good hes not anymore plain and simple. He was the man in the 80's and 90's. Not anymore not even close. If you need more examples of mismanaged horses from Lukas let me know.

Was he terrible in the 80's and 90's? Nope he was on of the best. Since then how has he been? Mediocore at best.Oh stop. Are you this ignorant of history? Lukas was being skewered during his prime as well for being too aggressive with his horses. Some on here even refer to him as "the butcher."

He didn't earn that nickname in the last 10 years, I can assure you that.

Stillriledup
05-18-2014, 10:49 PM
Oh stop. Are you this ignorant of history? Lukas was being skewered during his prime as well for being too aggressive with his horses. Some on here even refer to him as "the butcher."

He didn't earn that nickname in the last 10 years, I can assure you that.

How did he get the nickname? I mean, why him? Did nicknamers just pick his name out of a hat?

Stillriledup
08-09-2014, 03:17 AM
Ria's running today at Monmouth in the 11th, 5:51 est post time.

thespaah
08-09-2014, 11:46 AM

Spiderman
08-09-2014, 12:34 PM
This reply could also be in the Leparoux thread. Leparoux is replaced on Ria Antonia by Radosevich. Who?

tucker6
08-09-2014, 09:13 PM
came in 4th

gheuks
08-09-2014, 09:21 PM
I think the jock is a rider in the Midwest.. Maybe the ohio circuit???

Spiderman
08-10-2014, 10:27 AM
Jockey did the same as Leparoux. Let her fall back to no win position.