PDA

View Full Version : running styles

osophy_junkie
02-20-2014, 11:25 AM
How does everyone generate running styles. I'd prefer a mechanical approach. I've tried several approaches already posted, but all of them seem to have their disadvantages.

thanks.

raybo
02-20-2014, 11:47 AM
Some people use the styles provided by their data supplier, others make their own. There are at least two schools of thought: 1. use only a horse's "good" races and 2. use all races regardless of how the horse finished. There are others but they are less common, only recent races, only sprint/route and dirt/turf, etc..

Basically, IMO only, if a horse runs most of its races on the lead early, then it is an "E" horse. If a horse splits most of its races between on the lead early and near the lead early, then it is an "E/P" horse. If the horse usually runs its races slightly off the lead and seldom takes the lead early, then it is a "P" horse. And lastly, if a horse runs off the pace most of the time then it is an "S" type.

This is simplistic, but works pretty well, because we never know for sure how each race will run, and how those horses' styles will reflect how they run in a particular race, against a particular field.

I also incorporate early velocities into the mix in order to try to more accurately predict how a horse will run against today's field and their combined running styles and early velocities.

Bottom line is, track your styles, the makeup of the field (pace pressure), and the results, and use what works best for you.

Clocker
02-20-2014, 01:40 PM
Basically, IMO only, if a horse runs most of its races on the lead early, then it is an "E" horse. If a horse splits most of its races between on the lead early and near the lead early, then it is an "E/P" horse.

This is where I find it useful to look at all races. I find that a big tip off to the difference between an "E" and an "EP" is their losing races. When an "E" is beaten in the stretch, it will usually lose big, often dropping back 4 or 5 positions, while an "EP" will usually remain competitive to the wire.

CincyHorseplayer
02-20-2014, 10:51 PM
Do them yourself.Running styles are not solely the product of speed points based on recent run races.If a horse has won or had a close finish as an E runner but has only done so once in a recent race after a bad break off a layoff and was off form 3 races prior that horse is not an E/P3,it's an E7.The sole purpose of probable pace is to attempt it's likelihood.It's best done by you.The good news is that it takes only a few minutes a race and it's something you can trust.If that is too laborious for you you're done!

cutchemist42
02-21-2014, 05:47 PM
I think for the most part, I only change the Brisnet styles 10% of the time. Some of their speed horses are sometimes Ps to me. I think some EPs show no signs of being an early horse.