PDA

View Full Version : Structuring Exotic bets, your take/methods

cutchemist42
02-19-2014, 02:35 PM
I'm always interested in how people structure the various exotic bets available, both horizontal and vertical. I know raybo has provided me with insight before.

I was just curious to see how more of the board handles it.

Robert Fischer
02-19-2014, 10:09 PM
Ideally you have a strong opinion that happens to call for an exotic wager.

Maybe you are against a favorite, and would like to use some other contenders from that race in a horizontal exotic.

Or maybe you feel that a long-shot is one of the top contenders in a race, and rather than waste that value betting it PLC-SHW, you decide to use that contender in a vertical exotic.

Then it's mostly a matter of betting your opinion.

In general, you don't wan't to bet against your opinion. In other words you want to build around or "key" your strong opinion.

If you do spread at all(and you will usually have to spread to some extent), you want the spread part to be in the slots of the horses who are outside of your strong opinion.

Even outside of your strong opinion horse/leg, you will have opinions on the various contenders.

Steven Crist's book "Exotic Betting" is probably the "bible" as far as horseplaying books written about this kind of strategy.

The DRF ticketmaker is a good place to try some of the A B C strategy in practice http://www.drf.com/store/drf-bets-ticketmaker

You will want more money on the best combinations, even outside of your strong opinion horse/leg.

limit2
02-20-2014, 05:55 AM
My method is in the nature of a routine. 2 key longshots on top of exactas, trifectas and supers. Re-structuring the ML listing into a list of odds from lowest to highest. Ties in order based on original list. 8 exactas....2 keys with 4 lowest available odds not used. 16 trifectas.....exactas with 2 next odds unused. 64 supers.....trifectas with 6 repeats from 2nd and 3rd slots.

HUSKER55
02-20-2014, 10:00 AM
I don't play alot but when I do I pick a race where no one has an idea who will win. Meaning the favorite is 5/2 or higher and the next 5 are under 10/1.

Then I key my top two with 2 or 3 others.

Jeff P
02-20-2014, 01:48 PM

In general, you don't wan't to bet against your opinion. In other words you want to build around or "key" your strong opinion.
Strongly agree with this.

I would also say keep records and review them. Let your records shape the thought process used to form an "opinion."

Speaking strictly for myself the wager history records clearly say the following:

When you have an opinion: BET YOUR OPINION.

And when you don't have an opinion: DON'T BET.

-jp

Stillriledup
02-20-2014, 03:59 PM
Ideally you have a strong opinion that happens to call for an exotic wager.

Maybe you are against a favorite, and would like to use some other contenders from that race in a horizontal exotic.

Or maybe you feel that a long-shot is one of the top contenders in a race, and rather than waste that value betting it PLC-SHW, you decide to use that contender in a vertical exotic.

If you do spread at all(and you will usually have to spread to some extent), you want the spread part to be in the slots of the horses who are outside of your strong opinion.

Even outside of your strong opinion horse/leg, you will have opinions on the various contenders.

Steven Crist's book "Exotic Betting" is probably the "bible" as far as horseplaying books written about this kind of strategy.

The DRF ticketmaker is a good place to try some of the A B C strategy in practice http://www.drf.com/store/drf-bets-ticketmaker

You will want more money on the best combinations, even outside of your strong opinion horse/leg.

Good stuff RF.

I've used that Ticketmaker on occasion, but i would really love ticketmaker more if they gave the player a chance to plug in percentages instead of As Bs and Cs. Its pretty good in general, hopefully someday they can update it to where you can break it down even more.