PDA

View Full Version : Trainer Accolades by Media Insults Owners?

greengorilla
02-18-2014, 02:50 PM
Was wondering why racehorse trainers are getting more and more accolades by media outlets like HRTV these days. When its the owners that have puchased them and pay the daily bills on there horses. As a thoroughbred owner and active sales agent. It insults me that US owners and clients Iv'e sold horses to, dont get much press for there efforts after a win. Its almost like these trainers are being treated as if they ran the race and are some type of celebrity. I would love to remind Caton Bredar at HRTV. Her as kissing coverage of race horse trainers deters new owners in our sport from wanting to be involved. In my opinon the only media attention that should be given, is to the horse and the owner paying the bill. I think it would be a good way to attract more new owners. I would love to here any comments regarding others thoughts and feelings on the matter.

Grits
02-18-2014, 03:39 PM
Caton Bredar's ass kissing coverage, as you term it, is some of the best in thoroughbred racing. She knows her job quite well.

Owners are responsible for writing checks, the majority realize this when they purchase their horses, and willingly give their care over to trainers..most of whom they trust to get their horses into, and maintain, their racing condition while carrying them into the winners' circle.

Often, when they are interviewed they lack the knowledge to speak with the media about the horse's campaign and wisely defer to their trainer. Which would seem quite reasonable as the trainer does have the knowledge. He and his stable staff have done their work. Also, I rarely see a trainer that doesn't mention the support of his owners, along with thanking them.

Some owners are more high profile than others, some more quiet, either way its all ok.

True, if there were no owners, there would be no racing.

On the other hand, you really wanna feel like a nothing? Get in line! Bettors, those of us that fuel this sport, are more accustomed to not being appreciated than anyone in it. At least owners get a purse, a meal, and sometimes, even a trophy.

Bettors, nope, don't think so. I'm sorry you're insulted, but you're in a difficult place, here, to find a great amount of pity for owners and bloodstock agents. Do you appreciate bettors?

thaskalos
02-18-2014, 03:57 PM
When a team distinguishes itself on the field...it is the players, the manager, and the coaching staff who get the lion's share of the praise. All the owner gets is the occasional cam shot of himself in the owner's box...and a stroll on the field to collect his trophy -- should his team win the "Big Game".

In sport...you don't buy accolades with money. You earn them on the field.

the little guy
02-18-2014, 03:58 PM
Here is the interview I think the author of this thread is looking for...

Media person: So Mr. Owner, are you happy with the job Mr. Trainer did getting the horse you purchased to win this race?

Mr. Owner: What trainer? This horse won because I bought him and paid the bills.

Media person: Excuse me Mr. Owner. Great job getting him ready for the big race.

Mr. Owner: Thank you.

greengorilla
02-18-2014, 04:04 PM
Absolutely I appreciate the gamblers. With out them there wouldn't be a sport. I like to gamble often myself. I work as a blood stock agent and a jocks agent here at gulf. I appreciate your opinion. I just think it's a disgrace that all the owners I work with on a daily basis, arent getting recognized for all the hard earned money they spend everyday to get these horses ready to run.

classhandicapper
02-18-2014, 04:30 PM
One of the disadvantages horse racing has is that many of the best horses (our stars) retire as soon as the public starts getting to know them. It's not like in other sports where the stars are well known, they play for a long time, and rivalries between players and teams grow over time.

It may not be such a terrible idea to focus even more attention on the trainers, owners, breeders and jockeys as COMPETITORS. At least the major players will last longer and become familiar.

Maybe seasoned horse players don't want to see the build up to some major stakes as a Lukas vs. Pletcher story also, but it can't hurt to try.

When my mom watches races a few times a year, she's always asking me about Nick Zito because she knows and likes him. She wants to know if he has any good prospects for the Derby etc.. There's no way casual fans are going to follow closely enough to know all the new horses every year. But they can learn who the best jockeys and trainers are.

CryingForTheHorses
02-18-2014, 04:52 PM
Absolutely I appreciate the gamblers. With out them there wouldn't be a sport. I like to gamble often myself. I work as a blood stock agent and a jocks agent here at gulf. I appreciate your opinion. I just think it's a disgrace that all the owners I work with on a daily basis, arent getting recognized for all the hard earned money they spend everyday to get these horses ready to run.

You guys are my favorite people....Jocks agent selling horses...Horse didnt run good..Wanna sell him..Those two businesses dont mix!!

PaceAdvantage
02-18-2014, 04:56 PM
I just think it's a disgrace that all the owners I work with on a daily basis, arent getting recognized for all the hard earned money they spend everyday to get these horses ready to run.Come on now.

How hard is it to write a check?

How hard is it to manage a horse on a daily basis and get it to the winner's circle?

Which one do you think deserves more credit? I'll even give you the owner's ability to "spot talent" prior to purchase, and still say I don't agree with you.

greengorilla
02-18-2014, 05:23 PM
I can see your point Schell. But If I didnt work as a jocks agent and get a chance to see the the trainers on a daily basis. I would never know any of them and they wouldn't have a chance to get to know me. Some of my best friends in the game, owners, trainers, farriors, I met agenting over the years. I try to conduct myself with a high level of moral iintegrity. I think most trainers I do business with know that. Most Jocks agents don't make much money and need to have a second source of income just to survive. I mean there are exceptions Like Matt, Cliffy and Richard who are blessed with top jocks that win most of the races down here.

To respond to the comment its easier to write a check then train a horse. You must have alot of money. Have you looked around money doesn't grow on trees anymore. Most owners at the big tracks are breeders these days trying to help support there studs in sales rings and pinhook the horses that didnt sell at the sales. The independent owner has slowly disappeared. And alot of owners do have problems paying the bills on these horses. Not every racehorse owner owns a diamond mine or makes millions each year. If that were the case there wouldnt be any claiming races.

the little guy
02-18-2014, 05:35 PM
I mean there are exceptions Like Matt and Richard who are blessed with top jocks that win most of the races down here.

Now Matt Muzikar and Richard Depass " are blessed with top " riders?

Take a look at how Javier's career has taken off since Matt took his book. Take a look at how Depass's other riders have done in the past. It's a team game, and these guys aren't passengers as you suggest.

greengorilla
02-18-2014, 06:00 PM
Now Matt Muzikar and Richard Depass " are blessed with top " riders?

Take a look at how Javier's career has taken off since Matt took his book. Take a look at how Depass's other riders have done in the past. It's a team game, and these guys aren't passengers as you suggest.

Come on little guy don't forget Cliffy in your post. Pesonally I like Matt and Richard. And yes they are blessed with top riders. I dont know what you mean since Matt took his book? You must not know to much . Because Matt and Javie have been working together for 10 years. it's not llike all of a sudden he just made him famous. As for Richard and past riders all I know is anyone of us could get top quality mounts for Saez if we had his book. Trainer's drool over those two jocks. I would like to see Richard or Matt take another less skilled jock and try to push them, they would fall flat on there faces.

the little guy
02-18-2014, 06:24 PM
Come on little guy don't forget Cliffy in your post. Pesonally I like Matt and Richard. And yes they are blessed with top riders. I dont know what you mean since Matt took his book? You must not know to much . Because Matt and Javie have been working together for 10 years. it's not llike all of a sudden he just made him famous. As for Richard and past riders all I know is anyone of us could get top quality mounts for Saez if we had his book. Trainer's drool over those two jocks. I would like to see Richard or Matt take another less skilled jock and try to push them, they would fall flat on there faces.

You should quit while you are only way behind. You're about to get eased.

I don't know who "Cliffy" is ( I'm not as big an insider as you, apparently )...but I'm sure Matt and Richie will be excited to know that you like them.

Just to give you one fact....Matt hasn't even had Javier's book for five years. How do I know this? I just texted him.

the little guy
02-18-2014, 06:29 PM

And, by the way, Luis Saez didn't hire Richie Depass so that he could get mounts in Florida.

Valuist
02-18-2014, 06:42 PM
Isn't getting the bulk of the purse enough? Nobody goes to sporting events to see the owners, and racing is no different.

greengorilla
02-18-2014, 06:43 PM
I apologize your correct littleguy 5 years not 10. Knew it was along time together. Either way, if you dont have a top jockey who can ride your not going to make much money hustling book here at gulfstream.

greengorilla
02-18-2014, 06:55 PM
Isn't getting the bulk of the purse enough? Nobody goes to sporting events to see the owners, and racing is no different.

Actually this isn't like the NFL where the owner makes a boat load of money. The purses at gulfstream surely aren't enough for most owners to recover the money they spend on training and vet bills not to mention what they payed to buy the horse and ship it. Average cost to care for and train a horse here at gulf is $3000 per month, excluding the vet bill and shipping.

chadk66
02-18-2014, 06:58 PM
most of the owners I have had didn't know which end of the horse ate. They paid me to find them the horses, purchase them, take care of their daily needs and condition and race them. The majority knew they knew nothing about the horses day to day needs and accepted that whole heartedly. A few thought they knew what the horse needed magically overnight. well that turned out to be total poppycock. I have had some owners that bred and raised their horses and were extremely knowledgeable of their needs and abilities and we worked together to make the best of their horses. But making a blanket statement that all owners should be treated as if they're the brains of the operation is so far from reality it's laughable. Successful owners that know nothing about the horses are successful because they stay the hell out of the way. Successful owners that that know alot about their horses and the business are successful because they work together with their trainer. Some however do a great job on their own finding/buying good quality horses and need little to no guidance.

NTamm1215
02-18-2014, 07:17 PM
There's so much irony in this thread that it's laughable, but for the record, Caton did a lengthy interview with the owner of Alpha Delta Stables after Devil's Cave won the Sabin. She absolutely interviews owners when it's pertinent.

In case anyone has not been watching, these interviews and the additional coverage from GP on HRTV has been terrific. Caton Bredar is the best interviewer in the game by a mile. She finds a way to talk to the top trainers and jockeys about the most important topics, covers stakes horse who'll be running in the future and keeps it fresh and interesting. She's very quick on her feet and never seems to be wanting for a question to ask.

the little guy
02-18-2014, 07:23 PM
There's so much irony in this thread that it's laughable, but for the record, Caton did a lengthy interview with the owner of Alpha Delta Stables after Devil's Cave won the Sabin. She absolutely interviews owners when it's pertinent.

In case anyone has not been watching, these interviews and the additional coverage from GP on HRTV has been terrific. Caton Bredar is the best interviewer in the game by a mile. She finds a way to talk to the top trainers and jockeys about the most important topics, covers stakes horse who'll be running in the future and keeps it fresh and interesting. She's very quick on her feet and never seems to be wanting for a question to ask.

The originator of this thread is a little loose with the truth.

Grits
02-18-2014, 07:32 PM

Nick, I feel the same way as you. I think Caton is the absolute best in the game!!! I'm watching HRTV more than I'm watching TVG and a lot of this has to do with Caton being at GP.

Stillriledup
02-18-2014, 08:13 PM
Nick, I feel the same way as you. I think Caton is the absolute best in the game!!! I'm watching HRTV more than I'm watching TVG and a lot of this has to do with Caton being at GP.

I agree, Caton is aces, the game needs more Catons, too bad she's one of a kind.

Here's a thread on female reporters from about 5 years ago, i'm sure caton is mentioned quite a bit in this thread.

http://www.paceadvantage.com/forum/showthread.php?t=59526&highlight=bredar

Tara73
02-18-2014, 08:24 PM
Now I've had the experience where owners using Ragozin Sheets directed a trainer who will be nameless to claim a horse. The horse did well and the trainer when interviewed accepted the praise without ever mentioning the circumstances. As for Caton Bradar she knows her stuff and actually can help you when interviewing a trainer in a non claiming race.. Last week she spoke to a trainer with a horse off a long layoff. The horse was second choice on the board and the trainer when interviewed was a bit negative on his chances. The horse ran out.

reckless
02-18-2014, 08:47 PM
Two small points:

If there was a Mount Rushmore for horse racing analysts and commentators the four would be: Caton Bredar, Caton Bredar, Caton Bredar and Caton Bredar. I admit to slight hyperbole but she's the best and brightest to me.

She is in a class by herself. I understand that every one in the public eye is fair game for criticism and I get that. Now, no one has to accept my opinion here on Caton, but I took that original post as a cheap shot at her, plain and simple.

Secondly, it has been my opinion for a very long time that part of the reason this game of ours has been losing interest and fans lately is that the owners have a bigger say in day-to-day racing than ever before.

The owners protect their bad investments to the point that races are no longer competitive. There are obscurely written race conditions, optional claiming races that for the most horses are not necessary -- except to protect the owner and to make bad races. It seems that there is not a single race at any track anytime, anywhere where a horse or two isn't scratched off the program nowadays.

Also, entries are now drawn 3-4 days in advance and by midnight of the day the overnight comes out, there's some owner calling the trainer and saying 'we can't beat Pletcher's horse, let's scratch'. By post time, a 7-horse field is now down to 4-5 steeds, with too many favorites now going off at 2-5.

I know full well the importance of owners -- it's a no brainer -- but when someone submits a post and says a Caton Bredar is a toady for trainers while ignoring the owner, well that's patently absurd.