PDA

View Full Version : Hawthorne

parlay
02-18-2014, 02:10 PM
Not sure were to put this,
I have decided to go for the tournaments they are running the 25-27 of April.
I need recommendations re a good place to stay. I will not have a car.
I am flying into MIDWAY.
How long will it take me to get from airport to track?
I would like to hear some blues in the evening and eat some good grub, any recommendations?

Thanks

Milkshaker
02-18-2014, 02:55 PM
I did a Hawthorne contest 5 years ago and had a similar itinerary (flew into Midway, no car, wanted to experience the city a bit).

I stayed at The Wit Hotel--right in the Loop downtown, lots of places to walk to at night. Got a good weekend rate; not sure what the pricing is now.

The subway train (walking distance from hotel) gets you to the airport, then a shuttle bus to the track, maybe 45 minutes total on a Saturday morning and about ten bucks.

It was recommended to me by a Hawthorne staffer NOT to take the shuttle buses and public transportation out of Hawthorne at night. A cab was only $30 and 20 minutes back into downtown (no traffic on a Saturday night), but be sure you have a # for the taxi service ahead of time--there are not exactly cabs lined up at Hawthorne after the races are over.

I had banked on being able to get a ride from a friend from the track straight to the airport at the conclusion of the contest on Sunday night, but man, it was tight for time even though the airport is only a few miles away. Big cluster-hump of traffic going to the airport on Sunday early evening.

Love the Hawthorne format by the way--live money, bet anything you want on the simo menu over two days (at least that's what it was when I played).

Super trip even though I lost my azz at the windows--good luck!

comet52
02-18-2014, 03:38 PM
There are any number of decent hotels right around Midway airport and your cab ride to Hawthorne would be relatively cheap from there.

Valuist
02-18-2014, 03:42 PM
Midway is very close to Hawthorne. Definitely smarter flying there instead of O'Hare. I was in that April tourney last year and they had a big turnout. Several hundred entries. Know your Illinois breds because I believe that Saturday is Illinois bred stakes day. Wish I could be in this year's but will be out of town. Good luck.

parlay
02-19-2014, 06:33 PM
thanks for the great info guys.
much appreciated.

Irish Boy
02-19-2014, 07:43 PM
Not sure were to put this,
I have decided to go for the tournaments they are running the 25-27 of April.
I need recommendations re a good place to stay. I will not have a car.
I am flying into MIDWAY.
How long will it take me to get from airport to track?
I would like to hear some blues in the evening and eat some good grub, any recommendations?

Thanks
Hawthorne is a dump, as is the surrounding area. Things are going to be very annoying without renting a car.

tophatmert
02-19-2014, 08:16 PM
A few blocks south of Midway there is a corner (65th and Cicero I believe) where there are 6 or so major hotels and restaurants on one piece of land .The track is about 3 miles north on Cicero. Try Buddy Guy's club on Wabash in the south loop area for blues ,that would be a 10 mile cab ride from your hotel.

parlay
02-19-2014, 08:42 PM
definitely hitting Buddys' club, have tickets to see him in early April.

cnollfan
02-19-2014, 10:19 PM
Maybe my tastes are old school but I like Hawthorne. Arlington is the Cubs and Hawthorne is the White Sox.

bbopjz
02-21-2014, 12:41 PM
Anyone know if either channel will be broadcasting the races from Hawthorne?

Valuist
02-21-2014, 03:23 PM
Last year, TVG carried Hawthorne.

While I like the fall Hawthorne meet, they've always had trouble with field size for the spring meet. More barns go to OP and FG for the winter. Miss the days of the old 5 furlong bullring Sportsman's.

Striker
02-21-2014, 11:46 PM
Anyone know if either channel will be broadcasting the races from Hawthorne?
They have a contract with TVG right now. TVG chooses which tracks/races they are going to show.

Delta Cone
02-21-2014, 11:53 PM
Last year, TVG carried Hawthorne.

While I like the fall Hawthorne meet, they've always had trouble with field size for the spring meet. More barns go to OP and FG for the winter. Miss the days of the old 5 furlong bullring Sportsman's.

Sportsman's was a 7/8 mile track.

EDIT: Upon further review I find that Spt was a 5f track until 1992. My first trip there was in 1993, had no clue.

pele polo
02-22-2014, 01:02 PM
Maybe my tastes are old school but I like Hawthorne. Arlington is the Cubs and Hawthorne is the White Sox.

Right on.
Haven't been to either in 15 years though.