View Full Version : Taylor Rice Arrives in New York

davew
02-17-2014, 07:30 PM
She did well today 3 wins (her first stakes) and another that was darn close

HRTV and NYRA did a nice video / interview with her last month

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F2RDKqxAuo0

EMD4ME
02-17-2014, 10:46 PM
Race 8 today, watch the replay.... very "curious" ride by Ms. RICE on a home free leader..... If the public wasn't so desensitized and apathetic to larceny, the BIG A would've had a riot like Roosevelt had in 1966. After a handful of guys next to me cursed and screamed of a fix, they all must flipped the page as larceny is expected. Sad state of affairs. One sharpie pointed out that the "winner" was the favorite in the race 7&8 Daily Doubles almost till race 7 went off, despite the ten being 4/5 ml and despite the winner having no recent speed (on a predominantly speed and rail biased track). I don't care what the true truth is, her ride is what kicks people away from the game.

Want further proof, watch her "ability to pump" in the very next race. Drastic difference!!!!!

JustRalph
02-17-2014, 11:06 PM
Race 8 today, watch the replay.... very "curious" ride by Ms. RICE on a home free leader..... If the public wasn't so desensitized and apathetic to larceny, the BIG A would've had a riot like Roosevelt had in 1966. After a handful of guys next to me cursed and screamed of a fix, they all must flipped the page as larceny is expected. Sad state of affairs. One sharpie pointed out that the "winner" was the favorite in the race 7&8 Daily Doubles almost till race 7 went off, despite the ten being 4/5 ml and despite the winner having no recent speed (on a predominantly speed and rail biased track). I don't care what the true truth is, her ride is what kicks people away from the game.

Want further proof, watch her "ability to pump" in the very next race. Drastic difference!!!!!

Rookie mistake? Very interesting

nijinski
02-17-2014, 11:41 PM
She didn't look back over her shoulder or through her arms . I think ,
she may have thought she was home free and had it .
Her horse was also tiring with a fast closing horse coming up . That's
what it looks like , the finish line didn't come up soon enough .

Tara73
02-18-2014, 01:07 AM
I was waiting for Serling to comment on this curious ride by Rice but did not see any tweeting by him.

Stillriledup
02-18-2014, 01:26 AM

Wow, you know, i went back and watched that replay and it was a tragic beat for anyone who had the leading horse, to have that kind of lead at that price and seemingly still full of run and get beat is devastating.

To defend Taylor.....if someone wants to cry larceny, or shady stuff, the question i would ask is this. If she was "Stiffing" theoretically, why cut it so close? Also, she's riding for one of the greatest trainers in the history of the game and not Aunt Linda, so there's less incentive to "lose on purpose", why would she want to get beat riding for that guy?

She just had such a big lead that it never dawned on her she could get beat, the horse started to shorten stride, was out there alone and when some horses get so lonely, they can lose a little focus.

I think if she had to do it over, she would have ridden harder the entire stretch....but, you know, look at it this way, if she rides the hair off the horse and wins by 10 (which it looked like was about to happen) she might have the trainer saying why she beat the horse up when she was a sure winner.

she rode the horse as hard as you would ride a horse who had that big of a lead (with nobody really coming), she slapped the horse a few times intermittently, was still hand riding all the way and even got more vigorous when she saw this runaway freight train coming at her.

Its hard to find fault with the ride, it never looks good when you get beat with a big lead, but the horse just shut it down late in the lane.....i cant imagine any larceny was taking place there, it just makes no sense that a jock who has a bright future would be playing games.

nijinski
02-18-2014, 01:54 AM
People losing bets and creating drama and conspiracy . Give her a break , she probably wasn't happy about the loss and had to hear about it.

It appears there is nothing anywhere near larceny or even curious here !

Pensacola Pete
02-18-2014, 01:59 AM
a riot like Roosevelt had in 1966.

I thought that was in 1963. An accident caused six horses to go down. The judges declared the two that finished 1-2 and made it official. The crowd went crazy. Broke glass, set fires, smashed the tote board lights. Didn't stop the track from opening the next day.

Edit: Here's a video of it: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oUqHVP02yM0

Thebigguy
02-18-2014, 02:24 AM
People losing bets and creating drama and conspiracy . Give her a break , she probably wasn't happy about the loss and had to hear about it.

It appears there is nothing anywhere near larceny or even curious here !

Agree 100%. The horse was dead empty. Noticeably shortening stride. You could see it on the live feed, the horse hit the wall late. I was surprised it was as close as it was.

Amazing the shit people make up.

DeltaLover
02-18-2014, 02:33 AM
Also, she's riding for one of the greatest trainers in the history of the game??

Really? I think I am missing something here...

Can you please provide a list of this trainer's Triple Crown and Breeder's Cup and all of his Grade 1 wins please?

If she was "Stiffing" theoretically, why cut it so close?

why would she want to get beat riding for that guy?

As a bettor I not care at all about why.

why is COMPLETELY irrelative.

All that I care about and all i can use to form an opinion is what I see at the track and nothing else.

why something strange or suspicious is happening is not something that I care about. This is why for each bet I place, I pay a pretty large amount to people who are called industry experts and I leave to them the answer to the WHYS and the necessary actions to protect the integrity of the betting game.

The way the :5: was ridden today is completely unacceptable. There is no excuse for the loss, period.

What is even worst is the fact that as far as I know the stewards payed no attention to this terrible race and did not make any announcement for an upcoming investigation and a probable jockey suspension.

If this jockey is "capable" for such a bad loss then she certainly does not belong to professional racing where her incapacity (or even her intentions) can cause dramatic changes to the money of the bettors.

davew
02-18-2014, 04:37 AM
I went to the Aqueduct website to look for photo finish pic - they had them through January but none for February.

I did see the replay of the 8th. She pulled away at top of stretch, leaving 3 horses inluding the 4/5 favorite 10. She may have coasted some or let up in midstretch, it is hard to tell. I could not see her look back for fast closers - can jockeys hear someone coming up fast if they are not yelling or whistling? The slo-mo for the last 30 yards showed her still hand riding hard and periodically whipping and got passed right at the wire.

ManU918
02-18-2014, 07:20 AM
The way the :5: was ridden today is completely unacceptable. There is no excuse for the loss, period.

What is even worst is the fact that as far as I know the stewards payed no attention to this terrible race and did not make any announcement for an upcoming investigation and a probable jockey suspension.

If this jockey is "capable" for such a bad loss then she certainly does not belong to professional racing where her incapacity (or even her intentions) can cause dramatic changes to the money of the bettors.

At the current meet Taylor Rice is #1 in Win %, #1 in top 3%, #2 in wins and #4 in earnings. There is a thing called running out of gas and that's clearly what happened. You act as if Rice had The Royal Boot wrapped up at the 16th poll..... Sounds like a case of sour grapes to me.

lamboguy
02-18-2014, 08:08 AM
i am #1 fan of Taylor Rice, but don't go by what i think, the top trainer in New York, David Jacobson just put her on a stake horse yesterday without the weight allowance for apprentice riders and won the race.

pandy
02-18-2014, 08:18 AM
Agree 100%. The horse was dead empty. Noticeably shortening stride. You could see it on the live feed, the horse hit the wall late. I was surprised it was as close as it was.

Totally agree. This is a young, upcoming, talented rider in the midst of a huge hot streak that could give her a leg up on a big career...yeah, she'll stiff a horse to cash a bet, right.

People have to realize that some riders are not going to whip the piss out of a horse that's tiring. Kent Desormeaux rides like this and he holds the record for the most wins in one year and is in the Hall of Fame.

the little guy
02-18-2014, 08:51 AM
Taylor Rice not being a good finisher is hardly news to anyone that actually watches her ride ( instead of cooing over her because she is winning with the exceptionally live mounts she is getting against a very thin riding colony ). Suggesting there was some kind of chicanery doesn't hold up to any scrutiny whatsoever.

I remember when Ariel Smith arrived in NY as an apprentice and was being labeled the next Cauthen. How about Ryan Curatolo? Hey, anything that gets people talking.

One thing Taylor does is ride fairly intelligently. That alone gives her an edge over much of her competition.

Robert Goren
02-18-2014, 08:53 AM
Totally agree. This is a young, upcoming, talented rider in the midst of a huge hot streak that could give her a leg up on a big career...yeah, she'll stiff a horse to cash a bet, right.

People have to realize that some riders are not going to whip the piss out of a horse that's tiring. Kent Desormeaux rides like this and he holds the record for the most wins in one year and is in the Hall of Fame.Whipping a dead tired horse isn't going to get anything. I bet the horse in question and I don't think Rice got it beat. A very good ride and a strong bias got a badly outclassed horse close. If the other jockey had moved a split second later, Rice would have won and I'd cashed. That is horse racing.
Stiffed horses don't lose photos. Stiffed horses run 6th.

pandy
02-18-2014, 09:11 AM
Taylor Rice not being a good finisher is hardly news to anyone that actually watches her ride ( instead of cooing over her because she is winning with the exceptionally live mounts she is getting against a very thin riding colony ). Suggesting there was some kind of chicanery doesn't hold up to any scrutiny whatsoever.

I remember when Ariel Smith arrived in NY as an apprentice and was being labeled the next Cauthen. How about Ryan Curatolo? Hey, anything that gets people talking.

One thing Taylor does is ride fairly intelligently. That alone gives her an edge over much of her competition.

She did say in a recent interview that she felt that she had to improve finishing. It's not as easy as it seems to spot which riders will go on to great things when they have a hot streak as an apprentice, and I agree that there have been many apprentices that were hot and drew lavish praise and then had average careers. I personally think that there are riders who excel because they ride smart, like Jerry Bailey, who was a thinking man's rider, and then there are riders who just have a gift and horses run for them.

I was a big Jorge Chavez fan because throughout his great career he consistently won with horses that had low speed figures even though he looked all herky jerky on a horse and didn't look like a slick jock is supposed to, but for some reason horses just ran for him. I had a nice streak when he went out to So. Cal a few years ago and woke up a bunch of longshots.

Robert Goren
02-18-2014, 09:16 AM
Chavez was a great bet on a front runner in the mud.

Robert Goren
02-18-2014, 09:26 AM
Rice appears to push a lot of horses to get in front instead of sitting just off the pace. That could account for some of her horse hanging. Right now she out riding a lot of the NY riders who have gotten passive on the AQU inner. I noticed some riders got passive last year on the inner as well. Perhaps TLG has a reason on why this happening.

ukbro00
02-18-2014, 09:32 AM

I cannot agree more. The horse has NOTHING left. If she loses by 4, nobody says a word, but because she gets caught at the wire, it was a terrible ride. The horse wasn't supposed to win on paper and to lose by only a nose, is really good in that siutation.

EMD4ME
02-18-2014, 10:02 AM
She may be a terrible finisher BUT she made zero attempt to literally push the horse home. In the very next race, the thrust of her hands is appreciably harder. After noticing how hard the 6 was bet, opened 3/5 or 4/5 & was demolished in the daily double, it is just too much of a coincidence that her hands were completely paralyzed in the stretch and lost to the heavily overbet winner. Please don't tell me she whipped the horse twice, as those supposed strikes of the whip wouldn't kill a fly. Yes, she's a weak finisher but that wasn't her usual weak finish. It was by far a curious finish to say the least. Being at the track for 35 plus years, I know for a fact there are countless shady races. All I'm saying is that was a suspect finish. Larceny involved? I don't know. However, either way, the perception is bad. That, I don't think a single soul could disagree with.

johnhannibalsmith
02-18-2014, 10:13 AM

Amen.

the little guy
02-18-2014, 10:18 AM
Rice appears to push a lot of horses to get in front instead of sitting just off the pace. That could account for some of her horse hanging. Right now she out riding a lot of the NY riders who have gotten passive on the AQU inner. I noticed some riders got passive last year on the inner as well. Perhaps TLG has a reason on why this happening.

I don't agree at all. I think she is actually an unaggressive rider.

pandy
02-18-2014, 10:24 AM
I don't agree at all. I think she is actually an unaggressive rider.

I agree. Her style seems more like a Julie Krone or Pat Day style to me, someone who tries to get their horse to relax. Naturally, they all go to the front when they have to or when the horse pulls them to the lead.

classhandicapper
02-18-2014, 10:24 AM
Wow, you know, i went back and watched that replay and it was a tragic beat for anyone who had the leading horse, to have that kind of lead at that price and seemingly still full of run and get beat is devastating.

I had that horse and was a little distressed at the end of the race even though I only had $15 win/place on it.

I don't think the horse was full of run, but IMO it "appeared" as though she stopped riding full out because she thought she had the race won. By the time she realized the other horse was coming at her, it was too late.

It was horrid beat no matter what if you needed that horse in exotics or had a big win bet on it. It was tough for me and it didn't even mean that much. She probably erred and learned a valuable lesson from the race.

therussmeister
02-18-2014, 11:02 AM
Whipping a dead tired horse isn't going to get anything. I bet the horse in question and I don't think Rice got it beat. A very good ride and a strong bias got a badly outclassed horse close. If the other jockey had moved a split second later, Rice would have won and I'd cashed. That is horse racing.
Stiffed horses don't lose photos. Stiffed horses run 6th.
More to the point, stiffed horses don't open up a daylight lead in the stretch before the jockey suddenly remembers (s)he was supposed to lose.

Robert Fischer
02-18-2014, 11:17 AM
I only watched this race once, but my opinion was that (once she had already gotten to the point of opening up far in front), there was either nothing more she could get out of the horse, or there was possibly a very small amount that she could have coaxed out of the horse.

In other words it made little difference.

If there was anything that she did or did not do that made a big difference, you will not find it in the final strides, but it would be found prior to her opening up in the stretch.

It can be frustrating when a horse is closing on your leading horse and it seems like he's getting a hand-ride. Sometimes a vigorous ride gets more out of a horse. Sometimes a hard finish simply gets the horse to shut-down, or go off his lead.

Stillriledup
02-18-2014, 03:54 PM
I only watched this race once, but my opinion was that (once she had already gotten to the point of opening up far in front), there was either nothing more she could get out of the horse, or there was possibly a very small amount that she could have coaxed out of the horse.

In other words it made little difference.

If there was anything that she did or did not do that made a big difference, you will not find it in the final strides, but it would be found prior to her opening up in the stretch.

It can be frustrating when a horse is closing on your leading horse and it seems like he's getting a hand-ride. Sometimes a vigorous ride gets more out of a horse. Sometimes a hard finish simply gets the horse to shut-down, or go off his lead.

I agree. Once horses get smacked with the whip, they respond or they don't and a hand ride after a few taps to get their mind on business is sometimes the way to go.

classhandicapper
02-18-2014, 03:59 PM
I agree. Once horses get smacked with the whip, they respond or they don't and a hand ride after a few taps to get their mind on business is sometimes the way to go.

Was that a hand ride? ;)

Robert Fischer
02-18-2014, 08:30 PM

I looked at it again, and it looked like she was a little bit weak on the hand encouragement. It may not have even helped any. However the horse appeared to be able to take a more vigorous and consistent hand-urging for the deep stretch. It's also debatable that she could have been more aware of her surroundings and possibly incorporated a little herding.

I admit, I have a prejudice against over-whipping a tiring speed.
Most often it's my horse who lost a duel at the top of the stretch, and invariably some jock loses his cool and whips the horse down a placing. :bang::bang::bang:

I'd rule-out any thoughts of foul play. She got nosed out at the wire.

Knowclew
02-19-2014, 07:16 PM
. It's also debatable that she could have been more aware of her surroundings and possibly incorporated a little herding.

I think this is the perfect comment on the ride. I have watched her in Chicago from the start against some weak riders, and at AQ with their
current colony. I do believe she gets some run from her mounts
(not just over aggressive like many bugs), and she has some sense of pace.
That said, she is definitely weak with the stick late. In this instance, some
awareness combined with some savvy race riding (herding/drifting) may have been enough.

I think she is sharp enough to learn this soon, although I doubt she can sustain her success in NY when the big guns come back. I hope she has
some guidance to head back to Chicago, or somewhere else where she isn't
over matched.

Full disclosure, I bet her in this race, and had no problem with her effort.......just thought her inexperience MAY have cost her the win.

Racetrack Playa
03-01-2014, 10:55 PM
:3:Real Estate;)Nice ride today,patient and smart ,up by a nose.:ThmbUp:

the little guy
03-01-2014, 11:00 PM
:3:Real Estate;)Nice ride today,patient and smart ,up by a nose.:ThmbUp:

And would have been second had the Buckeye Heart not been completely eliminated late in the race.

Racetrack Playa
03-02-2014, 12:07 AM
You are correct.Buckeye Heart was moving very well up the rail, until being taken out,looked like he had the race won. I think Taylor gave a great ride to her horse, and finished nicely to steal the race.

NY BRED
03-02-2014, 08:15 AM
regardless of who rode this horse the pp's reveal these stats on
Real Estate;

winning races: note the spacing
09-03-06
05-11-08
07-25-08
09-20-08
06-03-13

previous wins were shared between Bruce Levine and the Jerkens .Real
Estate is now trained and owned by David Jacobson.

A total of 19 starts prior to yesterday's race with 5 wins, 2 places
just shy of 200k in earnings.

This tough 10 year old horse is still winning and apparently been given
great care by his previous and current trainer. Importantly, numerous works
shown in his pp's.

Stillriledup
08-21-2015, 05:39 PM
Comments on her ride in the 9th today? Taking the only closer on paper to the lead.

v j stauffer
08-21-2015, 05:44 PM
Comments on her ride in the 9th today? Taking the only closer on paper to the lead.

Horses take her where they want to go. There was nothing wrong with being in front turning for home.

The problem is against the competition she's up against. You cannot be so dramatically inferior at finishing.

magwell
08-21-2015, 05:44 PM
Comments on her ride in the 9th today? Taking the only closer on paper to the lead.Weak......;)

Stillriledup
08-21-2015, 05:54 PM
Horses take her where they want to go. There was nothing wrong with being in front turning for home.

The problem is against the competition she's up against. You cannot be so dramatically inferior at finishing.

I get a little skeptical when a jock tries to fix what isn't broken, the horse was ridden perfectly last time, why change strategy?

v j stauffer
08-21-2015, 06:19 PM
I get a little skeptical when a jock tries to fix what isn't broken, the horse was ridden perfectly last time, why change strategy?

You're mister replay. The horse "ran" perfectly last time. She had nothing to do with it except being intimidated between horses in the first quarter. After that she was a passenger. It was like a workout. He won because he's a VERY nice horse. And she didn't allow him to run into anybody.

Today he broke running. Not a jock in the world would have taken him back from that position in a 4 horse field. Especially with Rosario in an impossible spot going into the far turn. He was in front of his two rivals turning into the stretch in a stake. She did NOTHING to help him through the stretch. In fact her efforts were counterproductive.

There are 20 or more jockeys at Saratoga that would have won on that horse today. No Photo.

EMD4ME
08-21-2015, 07:05 PM
She should not have a jockey's license.

You're better off with a scarescrow on your horse.

EMD4ME
08-21-2015, 07:08 PM
The horses 1st win was a fluke. There were 3 turf sprints that day and her horse was dressed up off of a perfect trip. Sat inside with multiple others spending all their energy. She simply tipped out, made sure she didn't fall off or clip heels with someone else and she happened to be on a winner.

Out of the 3 turf sprints that day, her race had the fastest comparable pace and slowest come home (for the level).

Sorry to say, she was on a totally dressed up horse.

I don't blame her for her ride today. She can't finish, now we want to ask her to grab horses down and then not finish ? :lol: :lol: :lol:

She's good for the game as you can pretty much toss her out unless it's an Adam Rice trained closer who you project to get a perfect trip in a collapsing race :lol: :lol: :lol:

Stillriledup
09-30-2015, 04:52 PM
Tactically? She rode well on Make The Moment. Just can't finish, I would have taken 3-1 on any other jock. Amazing.

Stillriledup
04-08-2016, 01:44 AM
There's a T B RIce at laurel a 7 lb bug riding in the 8th, anyone know who this is?

EMD4ME
10-03-2016, 07:43 PM
You can make a living betting against Taylor Rice on certain chalks/speed horses at Presque Isle.

Don't let stats fool you, she is still so weak....

Rise Over Run
10-03-2016, 08:46 PM
You can make a living betting against Taylor Rice on certain chalks/speed horses at Presque Isle.

Don't let stats fool you, she is still so weak....
Very smart, tactical rider. Can get a horse home with a great trip, but when push comes to shove there's nothing there physically to "carry" a horse home. Maybe things will change when she's Mrs. Jose Ortiz....

EMD4ME
10-03-2016, 09:01 PM
Very smart, tactical rider. Can get a horse home with a great trip, but when push comes to shove there's nothing there physically to "carry" a horse home. Maybe things will change when she's Mrs. Jose Ortiz....

BINGO :ThmbUp:

That's why I said certain trips...

She can rate and take advantage of a collapse. Other than that, totally useless on a horse.

Unless Jose makes her workout 20 x a day, doubt it :lol: :lol:

no breathalyzer
10-04-2016, 08:14 AM
Still take her over Mike Lizzy and Dilly Davis you might as well put a cement block on the horse when rising them 2 riders

EMD4ME
10-04-2016, 10:07 AM
Still take her over Mike Lizzy and Dilly Davis you might as well put a cement block on the horse when rising them 2 riders

Omg , I love it. :lol:

SuperPickle
10-04-2016, 11:54 AM
Honestly there's about half dozen guys at PID that make her look like Jerry Bailey. Outside of Gallardo, Allen, Martinez and Del La Cruz that jockey colony is rather weak. 80% of the races are 6 horses or less. That means in the rare case they get 10 or 12 in a field the last 3-4 jockeys are essentially exercise riders.

Every big field they'll be one or two guys who literally look like their only goal in the race is to literally not fall off.

rsetup
10-04-2016, 12:28 PM
80% of the races are 6 horses or less. I wonder what NITRO does in these cases.

EMD4ME
10-04-2016, 01:43 PM
I wonder what NITRO does in these cases.

He only uses 5 runners. The other "left out" (16% of field) runner obviously helps him beat the takeout :lol:

EMD4ME
10-04-2016, 01:45 PM
Honestly there's about half dozen guys at PID that make her look like Jerry Bailey. Outside of Gallardo, Allen, Martinez and Del La Cruz that jockey colony is rather weak. 80% of the races are 6 horses or less. That means in the rare case they get 10 or 12 in a field the last 3-4 jockeys are essentially exercise riders.

Every big field they'll be one or two guys who literally look like their only goal in the race is to literally not fall off.

A Cox? :lol: She has the most unique sitting style I have ever seen.

She looks like her goal is to keep her knees 6 miles apart. :bang:

Big Peps
10-04-2016, 04:12 PM
I think Taylor needs to keep getting stronger and riding but I agree she isn't a very good rider and if it were not for her last name she really would get anywhere near the mounts that she does. Seems like a good hardworking kid and a nice person but come winter I don't know who in their right mind would put her on a horse over some of the other young riders trying to get their foot in the door at the Big A, a kid like Jamie Rodriguez comes to mind who to me is pound for pound a much better rider. He is best rider at Finger Lakes, IMO right now

SuperPickle
10-04-2016, 05:55 PM
A Cox? :lol: She has the most unique sitting style I have ever seen.

She looks like her goal is to keep her knees 6 miles apart. :bang:

Exactly. She makes Rice looks like a super star. Nate Vickers? Kris Fox? Ademar Santos? There's some REALLY bad riders there.

PaceAdvantage
10-05-2016, 03:57 PM
I wonder what NITRO does in these cases.Sharp post.

Nitro
10-05-2016, 07:55 PM
Sharp post.You beat me to the punch!

Did you ever see any of Rsetup's picks in the Selection forum?
I wouldn't bet them with his money.

As I've said before, guys like this try to talk a good game, and even attempt to intimidate others with their haughty remarks. But you know, what else could you possibly expect from players that are doing so well?

SuperPickle
01-05-2017, 11:28 PM
Taylor Ortiz had a girl this afternoon.

Apparently mom and daughter are fine.

And I believe dad had a three bagger.

EMD4ME
01-05-2017, 11:48 PM
Taylor Ortiz had a girl this afternoon.

Apparently mom and daughter are fine.

And I believe dad had a three bagger.

God bless her/his little baby and them. :ThmbUp:

SoCalCircuit
01-06-2017, 12:24 AM
I hope Jose isn't into BDSM with the way he abuses the whip...