PDA

View Full Version : San Vicente G2

raybo
02-16-2014, 12:54 PM
This 3yo prep race is a bit weird, and at 7f. My program's picks are all over the place due to various factors among the horses. Lots of unknowns in this one, so I'll go with my "Class/Dist" ratings, in ranked order: :6: :3: :5: :2: ( :5: and :2: are virtually tied). Don't expect any value here, so I won't be betting the race.

It will be interesting to see if :5: Cherubim can wire the field. Of course, look for :6: Kobe's Back and :2: RPrettyBoyFloyd coming late.

Thebigguy
02-16-2014, 01:49 PM
I like the 4, a lot.

Robert Fischer
02-16-2014, 02:57 PM
:5: - he crushed Chelios (50 days ago). Can he run back to that effort or improve? If so, he should be 1st or 2nd.

:6: - do or die for a horse that has had some hype. Fits better in this race than recent. Works are sharp. Good enough to win?

:4: - weird maiden win in that he never really got any opportunity to open up and run. Some good works and aggressive spotting. Who knows?

tanner12oz
02-16-2014, 05:30 PM
Looking for the 5 to wire these...loved kobes back 6 months ago but hasn't shown me anything since...think rprettyboyfloyd looms the threat

Robert Fischer
02-16-2014, 05:37 PM
/smith ended up re-taking the lead soon after

Big effort by Kobe's Back the 6 here.

raybo
02-16-2014, 06:15 PM
Very nice race! A little hotter pace than I figured, which I think hurt the 3 PapaTurf, but all in all pretty much as it should have run anyway. Class prevails big here, with the best late horse, by far, catching the leader easily and drawing away. This bodes well for Kobe's Back, and maybe Cherubim, going forward and stretching out. Cherubim had more energy that could have been used on the front end, which may have made it tougher for Kobe's Back to catch him, as Cherubim didn't look to be completely exhausted in the stretch. We'll see down the road.

I think it's pretty clear that the best horse, today, won this one!

tanner12oz
02-16-2014, 06:50 PM
I don't see kobes back making a splash come first Saturday in may....looked nice though today

raybo
02-16-2014, 07:11 PM
I don't see kobes back making a splash come first Saturday in may....looked nice though today

Well, if you watched the runout, he wasn't even breathing hard. That looks good for longer distances, with a little less pace involved. It's hard to project what 3 yos will do in the future but I expect him to continue improving. And who's to say how much? I think today's race was just a very good workout for the horse. Wouldn't be a bit surprised if, on Derby Day, he is not only in the field but at only a moderate, or lower, price.

Let's wait until he runs 1 1/16m or 1 1/8m. I think the longer distances will suit him just fine.

Robert Fischer
02-16-2014, 08:20 PM
If I wanted to look for a negative, in what was a very strong performance, I would say that this horse was very sharp today.

I'm interested in how he stretches out as well.

Thebigguy
02-16-2014, 09:18 PM
I like the 4, a lot.

I was way wrong. I think the winner is a closing sprinter/miler. I dont think he will be effective stretching out in distance.

tanner12oz
02-16-2014, 10:12 PM
In a 20 horse field this horse will find trouble and will crumble...i want my derby horses to be able to rerally..fight through traffic..excel when things don't go there way...horse closed into a very favorable 3 horse duel in a 6 horse field in a familiar local...sorry but that doesn't say anything to me other then based upon the scenario the horse won like he should have