PDA

View Full Version : Zombie science in the White House

Clocker
02-16-2014, 11:35 AM
Obama did an obligatory drive by in California to commiserate with the farmers affected by the drought. He promised a $1 billion "Climate Resiliency Fund" to help combat the effects of global warming, which he blamed for the drought.

“The global climate has now been so extensively impacted by the human-caused buildup of greenhouse gases, that weather practically everywhere is being influenced by climate change,” White House science czar Dr. John Holdren told reporters Thursday night. “We’ve always had droughts in the American West, of course, but now the severe ones are getting more frequent, they’re getting longer, and they’re getting dryer.”

Needless to say, not everyone is drinking that Kool Aid.

Two prominent climate scientists disagree. Former NASA scientist Dr. Roy Spencer and University of Colorado climate scientist Roger Pielke, Jr. slammed Holdren for his “pseudo-science rambling.”

“The idea that any of the weather we are seeing is in any significant way due to humanity’s greenhouse gas emissions verges on irrationality,” Spencer wrote in his blog.

Pielke took to Twitter on Friday to slam Holdren for “zombie science” in the White House.

@andersbolling That’s right, thanks. The zombies will always be with us. But it is brazen for zombie science to show up in the White House!

— Roger Pielke Jr. (@RogerPielkeJr)

Full article. (http://dailycaller.com/2014/02/14/climate-scientists-slam-obama-science-czars-pseudo-science-rambling-on-global-warming/)

Saratoga_Mike
02-16-2014, 12:28 PM
Question for Pace,

I pulled up this thread and the ad on the top of the screen was "Is Global Warming a Hoax?" I think the ad was placed by personalliberity.com. I've never visited or heard of that website, and I don't think I've done a web search on global warming in well over a year.

Does Google have the ability to customize the ads now based on the thread topic or was this coincidental? Thanks.

DJofSD
02-16-2014, 12:51 PM
I'm getting really, really, really tired of global warming fanatics using it to explain natural climate changes and situations.

California is semi-arid. Has been for a long time. Of course the current drought is considered the fault of man-made climate change. That's the only way they can continue to beat their drum.

I wonder if the earthquake in NC earlier this week was cause by man too.

What the hell are they going to do when the magnetic poles finally flip?

mostpost
02-16-2014, 01:19 PM
Obama did an obligatory drive by in California to commiserate with the farmers affected by the drought. He promised a $1 billion "Climate Resiliency Fund" to help combat the effects of global warming, which he blamed for the drought.

Needless to say, not everyone is drinking that Kool Aid.

Full article. (http://dailycaller.com/2014/02/14/climate-scientists-slam-obama-science-czars-pseudo-science-rambling-on-global-warming/)
I am going to attack the messengers because their message is idiotic. The Daily Caller was founded by Tucker Carlson, a conservative commentator and Neil Patel, a member of vice president Cheney's staff.

Dr. Roy Spencer believes in intelligent design. That is all I need to know to assess his views on anything.

Dr. Roger Pielke has a BA in Mathematics and MA's in public policy and political science. He has no science degrees and definitely no degrees in meteorology or climatology.

To some up, the opinions of the Daily Caller, Dr Roy Spencer, Dr, Roger Pielke and, yes, clocker are worthless.

Clocker
02-16-2014, 01:32 PM
California is semi-arid. Has been for a long time.

How much agriculture was there in the Central Valley before wide spread irrigation? My impression is that large scale farming there is not sustainable in the natural state. It seems ironic that the greenies are blaming man-made activities for harming a man-made environment.

Saratoga_Mike
02-16-2014, 01:35 PM
I am going to attack the messengers because their message is idiotic. The Daily Caller was founded by Tucker Carlson, a conservative commentator and Neil Patel, a member of vice president Cheney's staff.

Tucker's greatest sin is he's boring.

Clocker
02-16-2014, 01:39 PM
Tucker's greatest sin is he's boring.

And his greatest asset is that he makes moonbat heads explode.

Clocker
02-16-2014, 01:41 PM
Dr. Roy Spencer believes in intelligent design. That is all I need to know to assess his views on anything.

My mind is made up, don't confuse me with facts. :p

fast4522
02-16-2014, 01:44 PM
At some point we all have to conclude that things have gone adrift and there are forces working against the majority of Americans in order to force the middle class to pick up the tab. A century ago those folks would find themselves at the end of a rope, today we must wait for the last of the Roosevelt baby's to die off in order for a return to what the founding fathers intended. This global warming crap is just another shell game to drain more money from the middle class. Much like Seymour from "little shop of horrors", we just got to watch it die instead of feeding it.

Saratoga_Mike
02-16-2014, 01:59 PM
And his greatest asset is that he makes moonbat heads explode.

You think so? I put him in the Fred Barnes, Paul Gigot category - human tranquilizers.

spicytomato
02-16-2014, 02:48 PM
many video are available to teach about
alternate type of farming, pretty much going back to basics

as long as subsidy is available and bail outs
people will not turn to it

I have watched video after video of land worked differently
that produces to much more , and is better cost effective
as it requires less fertilizer, sprays, tilling and what not

a change in habits there will make a differnce

the wise man said, rain does not come from the sky
it starts from ground up....... humidity, they need to build that
before they see a good amount of rain

and yeah, i also agree with mother natures natural cycles
there will be wet years and dry years for every area

we - the people - can only work with what we got

heck, i come across people here that will buy food from the store
that has traveled a long way to get here from who knows where
than eat a garden fresh one ,, because they see dirt.. :D

ignorance is a big player in the problems of california

hcap
02-16-2014, 02:49 PM
You think so? I put him in the Fred Barnes, Paul Gigot category - human tranquilizers.Human tranquilizer? Sort of like what right wingers do up before they ponder climate change.

Tom
02-17-2014, 07:11 PM
I find climate change thoughts like tranquilizers - restful sleep, knowing that it has been warmer and been colder, so nature knows well what it is doing and I have nothing to worry about. And, I live inland, just in case! :lol: :lol: :sleeping: :sleeping:

Clocker
02-17-2014, 07:31 PM
I find climate change thoughts like tranquilizers

You need to keep up on breaking news. John Kerry announced that climate change is the world’s most fearsome weapon of mass destruction and that people who don't believe that are Flat Earthers. If John Kerry says it, it must be true. John Kerry served in Vietnam, you know.

Tom
02-17-2014, 09:49 PM
John Kerry is an idiot.
No offense to idiots in general.
Must be hard for the left-brained to cope with the fact that the American
people soundly chose W over the Ketchup King! :lol: :lol: :lol:

PaceAdvantage
02-18-2014, 02:06 AM
Question for Pace,

I pulled up this thread and the ad on the top of the screen was "Is Global Warming a Hoax?" I think the ad was placed by personalliberity.com. I've never visited or heard of that website, and I don't think I've done a web search on global warming in well over a year.

Does Google have the ability to customize the ads now based on the thread topic or was this coincidental? Thanks.Google has always had the ability to customize ads based on thread content.

Most of the time though, they customize based on your browsing history.

For instance, I did a search for wallets the other day, and now I'm seeing ads for wallets all the time...go figure...

hcap
02-18-2014, 07:48 AM
John Kerry is an idiot.
No offense to idiots in general.
Must be hard for the left-brained to cope with the fact that the American
people soundly chose W over the Ketchup King! :lol: :lol: :lol:WMD's? A bit of a stretch. But his speech took place in Indonesia. Moving inland is not an option.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2014/02/16/john-kerry-climate-change_n_4798963.html

Aides said Kerry had chosen Indonesia for the first of what is to be a series of speeches on the topic this year partly because, as an archipelago of more than 17,000 islands, it is particularly at risk from rising sea levels.

"Because of climate change, it's no secret that today Indonesia is ... one of the most vulnerable countries on Earth,"

"The bottom line is this: it is the same thing with climate change. In a sense, climate change can now be considered another weapon of mass destruction, perhaps even the world's most fearsome weapon of mass destruction."

Clocker
02-18-2014, 09:58 AM
WMD? A pointless analogy. A weapon has to be used by someone against someone. Guns don't kill people, people kill people, to coin a phrase. The WMD reference is pure drama, a scare tactic.

Aides said Kerry had chosen Indonesia for the first of what is to be a series of speeches on the topic this year partly because, as an archipelago of more than 17,000 islands, it is particularly at risk from rising sea levels.

Kerry had chosen Indonesia because it is a major producer, user, and exporter of coal. He was lecturing the Indonesians about their use of carbon based fuel as part of his role in taking the Obama war on carbon, especially coal, international. They feel that this is necessary because Obama and Kerry know that if the US went to zero coal usage tomorrow, it would have zero impact on the world carbon foot print. China and India have a combined total of nearly 900 new coal power plants in the pipeline.

Kerry's goal is to make climate change the primary focus of the State Dept. and to establish himself as the broker of a new global climate treaty. He was in Indonesia as part of the process of getting his ducks in a row for a climate treaty meeting in Paris in 2015.

hcap
02-18-2014, 11:33 AM
WMD? A pointless analogy. A weapon has to be used by someone against someone. Guns don't kill people, people kill people, to coin a phrase. The WMD reference is pure drama, a scare tactic.
If you accept AGW, then man is in a sense firing a missile against himself.
if the US went to zero coal usage tomorrow, it would have zero impact on the world carbon foot print.
Zero? Not quite, and reducing carbon is about reducing the use of all carbon intensive fuels

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Energy_in_Indonesia

According to IEA Indonesia was the 10th top natural gas producer in 2009: 76 billion cubics (bcm) 2.5% of world production of which 36 bcm was exported. In 2009 Indonesia was the 5th top coal producer: 263 million tonnes hard coal and 38 million tonnes brown.

Coal is not the only carbon intensive energy source. So forgetting your thesis that coal was the only thing on Kerry's mind, the US and the world must shift away from petrol-chemicals. What else is new? Not exactly a secretive policy

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2014-01-15/u-s-joins-china-among-biggest-global-warming-offenders-.html

The U.S. is the “unambiguous leader,” responsible for about 20 percent of total warming since industrialization. That’s equivalent to about 0.15 degree Celsius (0.27 degree Fahrenheit), according to the researchers. The group was led by Damon Matthews, an associate professor in Concordia’s Department of Geography, Planning and Environment.
Responsibility Apportioned.

China and Russia each accounted for about 8 percent of total emissions. Brazil and India each had 7 percent apiece, and the U.K. and Germany each were responsible for 5 percent.

Clocker
02-18-2014, 12:03 PM
If you accept AGW, then man is in a sense firing a missile against himself.

If you accept that, then you should start in your own back yard and not be lecturing people in other countries that use a fraction of what we do on a per capita basis.

So forgetting your thesis that coal was the only thing on Kerry's mind, the US and the world must shift away from petrol-chemicals.

I did not say that coal was the only thing on Kerry's mind. The only thing on Kerry's mind is John Kerry. I used coal as an example of Kerry's concern about other people not doing what he says they should be doing. I used coal as an example because Indonesia has gotten a lot of criticism in the past about using and exporting coal.

And I find it ironic that Kerry is highly concerned with the WMD of global warming while apparently oblivious to the failure to remove WMDs from Syria, something he was very vocal about. But that's last year's crisis, and there's no political hay to be made there.

hcap
02-18-2014, 12:26 PM
If you accept that, then you should start in your own back yard and not be lecturing people in other countries that use a fraction of what we do on a per capita basis.
Actually this is an area of contention between third world countries and the developed ones. So republicans are all for this? Can we count on the house going along with your "back yard" suggestion? And we actually do something about climate change? How about accepting AGW as a reality first? :lol:
I did not say that coal was the only thing on Kerry's mind. The only thing on Kerry's mind is John Kerry. I used coal as an example of Kerry's concern about other people not doing what he says they should be doing. I used coal as an example because Indonesia has gotten a lot of criticism in the past about using and exporting coal. Ignoring your bias against Kerry, you did emphasize coal.....
Kerry had chosen Indonesia because it is a major producer, user, and exporter of coal. He was lecturing the Indonesians about their use of carbon based fuel as part of his role in taking the Obama war on carbon, especially coal, international.
And I find it ironic that Kerry is highly concerned with the WMD of global warming while apparently oblivious to the failure to remove WMDs from Syria, something he was very vocal about. But that's last year's crisis, and there's no political hay to be made there.It was also ironic that that we put the country into a war over non-existent WMDs. But hey, that's last year's crisis, :rolleyes:

Clocker
02-18-2014, 12:38 PM
Actually this is an area of contention between third world countries and the developed ones. So republicans are all for this? Can we count on the house going along with your "back yard" suggestion?

I don't know what Republicans are for. Most of the time they don't seem to know themselves.

I didn't suggest anything, I implied something. I observed that "If you accept that, then you should start in your own back yard", the "you" in this case referring to John Kerry. My implication being that if Kerry believes in global warming, he is a hypocrite to be lecturing other countries about what they should be doing while the US is doing worse.

Nowhere did I suggest or imply that I accepted the hypothesis of global warming.

Sapio
02-18-2014, 12:49 PM
If more people understood a bit of math and exponential growth function, we'd realize how foolish we are and how little sense these discussions make.

All these guys are leading us to hell. They understand nothing and neither do most of us.

Thomas Sapio

DJofSD
02-18-2014, 12:54 PM
If more people understood a bit of math and exponential growth function, we'd realize how foolish we are and how little sense these discussions make.
All these guys are leading us to hell. They understand nothing and neither do most of us.

Thomas Sapio
You're going to have to be more specific before I can understand you comments.

As far as understanding nothing, please, speak for yourself. You don't know what people do or do not know, or, what they have as formal training.

spicytomato
02-18-2014, 01:14 PM
A big change can be achieved by

not plowing the land so much
much more carbon is released from top soil organisms
than people can imagine
there are many no plow ways to get things done

the weapon against people right now i see as dangerous
is the devil Monsanto

Its been kicked out of many countries
even the very poor ones and still
money buys it protection here

all this genetically modified to stand up to chemicals
is so -- they can sell more chemicals
that strangely enough - they have to wear full gear to handle
but sell it as safe to farmers and others
then well, no amount of washing the food will get this cleared out
so its then fed to animals and humans as --safe
then animals die and people die
then they get booted

bit backward i guess

oh for the love of money

hcap
02-18-2014, 01:22 PM
I don't know what Republicans are for. Most of the time they don't seem to know themselves.

I didn't suggest anything, I implied something. I observed that "If you accept that, then you should start in your own back yard", the "you" in this case referring to John Kerry. My implication being that if Kerry believes in global warming, he is a hypocrite to be lecturing other countries about what they should be doing while the US is doing worse.

Nowhere did I suggest or imply that I accepted the hypothesis of global warming.I already know you and your buddies do not accept it.
I was just explaining that Indonesia was at particular risk. WMDs might have been overkill, but Kerry used it in a proper venue, and certainly was not being hypocritical.

I also realize the main impediment to getting anything done here are republicans and stepchild the TeePeers :D :D

Clocker
02-18-2014, 01:27 PM
I also realize the main impediment to getting anything done here are republicans and stepchild the TeePeers :D :D

Then why couldn't Obama pass cap and trade when he had a bullet-proof Congress in his back pocket?

spicytomato
02-18-2014, 01:32 PM
A little something more

the govt quick to push solar and wind power
and offer money back and such

but can also push greener living and do not

such as in some states not all i presume

catch rain water, filter , and use for toilet flushing, car washing
gardens and more.. In many places gray water from showers
and sinks is recaptured and used to flush toilets

by the look of my water bill
water is always big money

and yet they do not make these an issue in any talks

no lobbyists i presume

If you have the money to pay someone to hang out
and pester these people , then you have power

Our town and 2 others got those red light cameras
and upon installing those cameras - that company
with or without knowledge of city official <cant say i do not know
shortened the yellow light by as much as half the time needed
for people to get across ...
Now two more cities are going to put up light cameras for the income

the company that did the work
is being sued across the nation for millions
and yet this continues

MONEY------ the love of it and power it buys
IS KEY

hcap
02-18-2014, 01:39 PM
Then why couldn't Obama pass cap and trade when he had a bullet-proof Congress in his back pocket?I noticed that whenever you guys get stuck, you haul out the old standby about King Obama and 1010% congressional control.

Nothing is bulletproof.

Wayback machine early Obama years .

Did you forget that the prez needed 60 votes to pass legislation? The healthcare bill is a good example of that. There were NOT 60 Democrats in the senate. There had to be reconciliation. What about the stimulus? Again, there were NOT 60 Democratic votes to pass it. Other trade offs were necessary. Politics is rarely a sure thing

burnsy
02-18-2014, 01:53 PM
Not a scientist, I'm a social scientist. I would not know if its real or not....by the time its proven one way or the other, most of us will be long gone. But on the other side its probably not a good idea to treat the planet like our personal toilet either...things like that always have a way of biting you in the ass. Of course, that's at the point where people bitch and actually give a shit or think about it. The drinking water is safe...even though its brown and smells like shit....:lol: . I live in NY....Google Love Canal. Can't they suck or pipe water out of the ocean that's right there and purify it? It is a coast line? I don't know?

Of course common sense never works with the political types. You are either labeled a forest killer or a tree hugger....If the Earth ever does begin to croak..you'll know, and then it will be too late. Saying it can take anything we dish out probably isn't the most prudent move and I've heard many a jack ass make that claim too. When it ends it will most likely be our (humans) fault......being a gambling man the bet is probably even money at this point.

Clocker
02-18-2014, 02:15 PM
Wayback machine early Obama years .

Did you forget that the prez needed 60 votes to pass legislation? The healthcare bill is a good example of that.

I think the flux capacitor on your wayback machine is faulty. Or the one on your memory.

Here is the official US Senate roll call vote (http://www.senate.gov/legislative/LIS/roll_call_lists/roll_call_vote_cfm.cfm?congress=111&session=1&vote=00396) on the ACA, Dec. 24, 2009:

YEAs 60

NAYs 39

Not voting 1

hcap
02-18-2014, 02:46 PM
I think the flux capacitor on your wayback machine is faulty. Or the one on your memory.

Here is the official US Senate roll call vote (http://www.senate.gov/legislative/LIS/roll_call_lists/roll_call_vote_cfm.cfm?congress=111&session=1&vote=00396) on the ACA, Dec. 24, 2009:

YEAs 60

NAYs 39

Not voting 1 Passing the ACA was like pulling republican teeth. You cannot rewrite history by showing only one part in the process and implying it was a cinch. "Bulletproof". Bullshit

That was the final vote in the Senate, but more was needed before and after that one vote until final passage in March 23, 2010. Much dealing and trade offs took place. Not even mentioning on going efforts to repeal it

For instance

March 11, 2010 -- In a letter to Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, Majority Leader Harry Reid says Democrats will use 'reconciliation' to pass the health care bill, needing only 51 votes.

I repeat nothing is bulletproof in congress.

Here is the timeline of the legislative history.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/06/17/politics/health-care-timeline/index.html

PS: You do know about how the filibusterer needed a super majority then?
Many administration bills were rejected outright.

Clocker
02-18-2014, 03:31 PM
That was the final vote in the Senate, but more was needed before and after that one vote until final passage in March 23, 2010. Much dealing and trade offs took place. Not even mentioning on going efforts to repeal it

March 11, 2010 -- In a letter to Senate Minority Leader Mitch McConnell, Majority Leader Harry Reid says Democrats will use 'reconciliation' to pass the health care bill, needing only 51 votes.

I repeat nothing is bulletproof in congress.

Here is the timeline of the legislative history.

http://www.cnn.com/2012/06/17/politics/health-care-timeline/index.html

You are going to keep beating this dead horse until you have the last word, aren't you? Well keep nitpicking and beating. This is my last on this subject. Facts: the ACA was passed by the Senate with 60 votes, and it did not go to reconciliation.

The whole issue began when you denied that Obama ever had 60 votes in the Senate. The Democratic Caucus had 60 members (58 Dems and 2 "Independents") from the time the Al Franken recount was settled until the election of Scott Brown to "Teddy's Seat".

The ACA was passed in the Senate on Dec. 24, 2009, by a vote of 60-39.

Harry Reid threatened reconciliation, but it was not used.

On March 21, 2010, the House passed the exact same bill the Senate passed on Dec. 24.

The timeline in the CNN article you linked is factually incorrect.

HTH

HAND

hcap
02-18-2014, 03:59 PM
You asked how come King Obama did not have complete control to pass cap and trade
O
Then why couldn't Obama pass cap and trade when he had a bullet-proof Congress in his back pocket?
I gave you valid reasons that the "King" has limitations. The timeline in the CNN article you linked is factually incorrect.Go here.

https://www.govtrack.us/congress/bills/111/hr3590

hcap
02-18-2014, 04:11 PM
And here

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Patient_Protection_and_Affordable_Care_Act

...Nelson's support for the bill was won after two concessions: a compromise on abortion, modifying the language of the bill "to give states the right to prohibit coverage of abortion within their own insurance exchanges", which would require consumers to pay for the procedure out-of-pocket if the state so decided; and an amendment to offer a higher rate of Medicaid reimbursement for Nebraska.[72][101] The latter half of the compromise was derisively called the "Cornhusker Kickback"[102] and was later repealed by the subsequent reconciliation amendment bill.

In any case passing cap and trade was never gonna be a cinch as you pouted when you had nothing more to say about Kerry and AGW.

spicytomato
02-19-2014, 02:02 PM
maybe they need to check out the

TedxTalks series

many videos with great minds putting their brains
to work finding solutions to the worlds problems

this one below speaks of food solutions

http://youtu.be/GL4goR5cKaE

:)