PDA

View Full Version : No union news?

JustRalph
02-15-2014, 02:16 PM
Big union story this week......no takers?

lamboguy
02-15-2014, 02:19 PM
union's aren't doing well in the private sector these days. but if you go over to the government side of things like teacher's, firefighter's and policemen, that's where you will find the really good shakedown artist's.

DJofSD
02-15-2014, 02:43 PM
What JR? Are you hinting for some one to post something about the UAW?

davew
02-15-2014, 03:08 PM
I saw a guy say that many were not impressed with the slick Detroit mob that came to town, especially since some of their parents lost their union jobs when lumbermills were closed.

I think the UAW should expand their focus and become Detroit Workers, to help the ailing city become more efficient and profitable.

TJDave
02-15-2014, 03:19 PM
union's aren't doing well in the private sector these days. but if you go over to the government side of things like teacher's, firefighter's and policemen, that's where you will find the really good shakedown artist's.

Todays business model makes the traditional union, in all but a select few industries, an anachronism. Public sector unions succeed only because labor is not transportable. You can't turn to China or India or Alabama when you need to fight a fire.

Clocker
02-15-2014, 03:24 PM
Public sector unions succeed only because labor is not transportable.

And because the unions can contribute to, and vote for, management.

TJDave
02-15-2014, 03:44 PM
And because the unions can contribute to, and vote for, management.

So can anti-unionists. I'd suspect there are a lot more of them.

Simply put, there are many more voters who are not teachers, firefighters or policemen.

OntheRail
02-15-2014, 04:25 PM

Simply put, there are many more voters who are not teachers, firefighters or policemen.

And more subsidize renters then Property Owners... who vote for anything and everything.

TJDave
02-15-2014, 05:03 PM
And more subsidize renters then Property Owners... who vote for anything and everything.

You're suggesting we restrict voter eligibility?

You'd piss a lot of peons off.

It's how revolutions are made. ;)

JustRalph
02-15-2014, 05:53 PM
What JR? Are you hinting for some one to post something about the UAW?

Ding!

Missed Gary's thread.......sorry

Clocker
02-15-2014, 06:18 PM

This is a classic example of interest group politics. The interest group (e.g., union) brings asymmetric force to bear because each union member has a huge amount to gain from contributing and voting relative to the very small amount that most individual opponents have to gain. Union members are single issue voters, especially at the local level. Few people that are generally opposed to unions are strong activists on the issue. How many people philosophically opposed to public sector unions actively campaign for and contribute to anti-union candidates for local office?

OntheRail
02-15-2014, 06:27 PM
You're suggesting we restrict voter eligibility?

You'd piss a lot of peons off.

It's how revolutions are made. ;)

Not for General elections for office or any tax issue not connected to property value ... as long as your legally allowed to vote.

But all tax issue that add to ones property tax burden should only be voted on by those that have said property to be taxed.

Clocker
02-15-2014, 08:31 PM
But all tax issue that add to ones property tax burden should only be voted on by those that have said property to be taxed.

What if you are a renter? Many states allow tax deductions tied to rent paid in recognition that the renter is paying some portion of the property tax.

Nothing is easy.