PDA

View Full Version : Track Closing Figured it out

mrroyboy
02-14-2014, 02:21 PM
I think I know why there are so many tracks closing this winter with snow days. I think it's the traffic conditions, not the condition of the track that is causing it. Remember horses aren't stabled at Big M anymore like in the past so they have to be vanned or whatever. Maybe at other tracks too?
I don't know if you have ever driven on the NJ Turnpike north of exit 5 or so but conditions are horrible on GOOD Days. Imagine how it is on bad days. :cool:

badcompany
02-14-2014, 05:36 PM
Considering that these tracks all operate at a loss, it would make sense to cancel at every opportunity and save money on electricity and other maintenance costs.

Stillriledup
02-14-2014, 08:48 PM
I dont have any stats on this, but is SEEMS like there are WAY more cancellations nowadays than there used to be. I dont remember people cancelling as habit and feeling shocked if they run. Some tracks like parx, Penn Nat and CT seem to hardly ever race.......maybe this happens every winter and i just havent noticed it?

jdhanover
02-14-2014, 08:59 PM
It has been a terrible winter weather-wise, so hard to compare.

They also may cancel due to the inability of the workers to get to the track too...they need to drive to get there.

Just a Fan
02-14-2014, 11:46 PM
All of the factors mentioned in the thread are relevant, but I think the accident at Freehold last month may have been a bit of an eye opener, too, at least for the harness tracks. The tracks are in a bit of a no win situation, they get criticized for cancelling, and then when they race and an accident happens that is clearly related to track condtions, they get sued.

Freehold has already cancelled Saturday's card.

CT has cancelled 17 cards YTD
Pen - 15
Parx - 7

rastajenk
02-15-2014, 11:09 AM
Beulah only four, and that includes the first two days of this 2014 meet in early Jan. Only two since the Polar Vortexes (vortices?) came crashing down. What its jockey colony lacks in talent, it makes up for in toughness. :)

mrroyboy
02-15-2014, 02:15 PM
There are more this year. All the above reasons are true.

porchy44
02-15-2014, 07:12 PM
Beulah only four, and that includes the first two days of this 2014 meet in early Jan. Only two since the Polar Vortexes (vortices?) came crashing down. What its jockey colony lacks in talent, it makes up for in toughness. :)

I think tracks with slots cancel more readily than tracks without slots.