PDA

View Full Version : Looking for TVG feedback

Valuist
04-06-2004, 01:55 PM
I'm about ready to join. Enough of fighting crowds and traffic at the track or OTB. Is there any reason NOT to join? I saw Kingpin had a thread about trouble w/TVG. Is that a frequent occurrence? Thanks for the feedback in advance.

cj
04-06-2004, 02:47 PM
My opinion, join AmericaTab, WinTicket, or one of those. You get video from all the tracks, and it doesn't cost anything. TVG charges 25 cents a wager to a max of $20. Why pay the $2O when you don't have to pay? You also get the occasional rebate days from WT. I didn't mind TVG, but they didn't offer anything superior to the free services. I do like the TV coverage, but I had that whether I have an account or not.

JimG
04-06-2004, 02:50 PM
Valuist,

I have done much better at the track since converting to an at-home horseplayer about 2 years ago. I don't have children so other than the wife and dog, no distractions. I highly recommend it. I also recommend trying different betting services until you find one that you are comfortable with. Kind of like racing software, they have their good and bad points.

Jim

Valuist
04-06-2004, 03:27 PM
From an account standpoint, I already have accounts at Pinnacle and WSEX. But I have no vehicle to watch the races from home so I guess its more about either getting a dish and Direct TV/Dishnetwork, or an account at a YouBet or one of the places CJ mentioned. I heard that Dishnetwork was not in the best financial state

JimG
04-06-2004, 04:25 PM
TVG is nice for the horse video...either DirecTV or Dishnetwork would work there. They favor NYRA and Kentucky tracks...along with Hollywood and DelMar. If you play outside those circuits, you would want video from either YouBet or BrisBet. Both are good if you have broadband connection, but require you to play some on their services for free video. Otherwise, they charge a fee.

Jim

Valuist
04-06-2004, 04:42 PM
Jim-

Thanks for the info. I basically play the Chicago tracks, Kentucky and NYRA. I can see the Chicago races on the taped replay show. Getting Kentucky and NYRA live would be great.

cj
04-06-2004, 04:53 PM
THey cater to Kentucky and New York now, but once SA (Magna) is done, SoCal becomes the top priority. I've seen stakes races shown on delay to show a NW2 lifetime 5 horse starter allowance from Hollywood live. All in all I liked their coverage, that was my only beef. Hollywood, DelMar, Los Al, and even Fairplex come before all else. Oh, and the Oak Tree at SA as well.

If you like Chicago, you will see most AP races, but many on tape delay. Hawthorne will be non-existent except on Monday and Tuesday when there is little competition. You can get all of these on the TVG web site, as well as the other providers as well.

Don't take this wrong, I loved TVG, but its not perfect unless you live for SoCal racing..

Valuist
04-06-2004, 05:17 PM
I've done alright betting Hol but Del Mar has always been a disaster but other than Sar, I usually don't bet much in July and August.

mudcat
04-06-2004, 06:55 PM
bris bet gives you free pp's if you bet on the tracks you download, also they have the ez $100 give away, go check it out

kingfin66
04-06-2004, 09:39 PM
Originally posted by Valuist
I'm about ready to join. Enough of fighting crowds and traffic at the track or OTB. Is there any reason NOT to join? I saw Kingpin had a thread about trouble w/TVG. Is that a frequent occurrence? Thanks for the feedback in advance.

Valuist:

KINGFIN (or Mike) thought he was having problems. I haven't updated the thread I started, but it turns out it was MSN that was giving me problems. I ended up not being able to even have a connection.

I use the TVG website to check odds/results, but don't bet through them. I prefer the 7% rebate that Pinnacle gives. Now that Washington has just passed legislation to allow advance deposit phone/internet wagering, I am considering going legit. On the other hand, 7% is 7%.

Now that I think about it, why even bother going to the site, they only give info on their tracks? When you come right down to it, TVG's value is in watching races for the tracks they cover.

Valuist
04-22-2004, 10:57 AM
Finally got the dish installed and TVG last week. For the most part I like it but there are a few things that puzzle me. Why not more thoroughbred tracks at night? I was hoping to watch Indy Downs last night and all I saw was a bunch of harness races. And it was mentioned earlier in the thread that they are very SoCal intensive. Considering the small fields at Hol, this could be a problem. And why the fixation with Emerald Downs??? Does anyone outside the Seattle metro area play that track (all apologies to Kingfin)?

BillW
04-22-2004, 11:05 AM
Valuist,

I think their coverage is a result of agreements they have in effect as opposed to simple choice of the programs producers. They also give priority to states where they have wagering customers located, of which Calif. is one.

Possibly they can be lobbied, you ought to try writing them, especially if you are a wagering customer (or at least from a wagering approved state).

Bill

Speed Figure
04-22-2004, 11:35 AM
Originally posted by Valuist
Finally got the dish installed and TVG last week. For the most part I like it but there are a few things that puzzle me. Why not more thoroughbred tracks at night? I was hoping to watch Indy Downs last night and all I saw was a bunch of harness races. And it was mentioned earlier in the thread that they are very SoCal intensive. Considering the small fields at Hol, this could be a problem. And why the fixation with Emerald Downs??? Does anyone outside the Seattle metro area play that track (all apologies to Kingfin)?
I would think far more players are betting Emerald Downs than Indiana Downs! The pick 3 pools are 10 times the size at Emerald Downs than Indiana Downs. It's easy to cover the so cal tracks. TVG is less than 15 miles from Hollywood Park. I've seen pick 3 pools at Indian Downs for $220 bucks!:eek:

Blackgold
04-23-2004, 07:28 AM
I have Brisbet because they give 7% rebates sometimes and also don't charge for some of their downloads if you bet with them. I also like their service where I can see, in real time, what my percentages are such as win %, exacta win %, tri, super, etc. Plus the r.o.i.- all are easily called up.

I have FGNetBet because it has all the Magna tracks (for now).

I also have YouBet, and consider their software the easiest to use for betting and viewing the races, but they charge a fee to deposit money.

Ease of depositing and withdrawing money is another consideration. Both YouBet and Brisbet allow transfers directly to/from your checking account. This past weekend did a transfer from my checking account to Brisbet. Hit a nice race and did a transfer out. Both transactions hit my bank on Wed. with the net being plus to me.

I view all the races over a cable modem.

And when I'm on the go, I take my printouts with me and get the tote board on my cell phone and then call in my wagers.

Question for Pinnacle users. Are you still getting 7% rebates on all wagers? How fast and easy it to get money out?

Tom
04-24-2004, 10:56 AM
I like TVG, but they have a lot of hours when they show very few races do an awful lot of talking. Some of the talking heads are entertaining, but most are drab know-nothings whe would be bagging groceries if they wern't on camera. TVG has a lot of possibilites and use preciious few of them. They have declined in the last year-I think they talkig heads are beginging to believe that they contribute something-they do not. the best you can say about them is that the didn't suc today. If they fired ALL of them and replaced them with races, it woudl be a tremndous improvement. THe only advantage they have or internet races is that you can actually see something in the video. But if you get it free in your sattelite package, go for it. I woud not pay extra for it.

Buckeye
04-24-2004, 11:16 AM
Black Gold,

How fast and easy it to get money out?

Lightning fast.

No problemo.

linrom1
04-25-2004, 09:41 AM
Definitely get TVG, its tremendous. I had my dish installed about two weeks ago and was impressed with their coverage of Keenland. The timely live reporting from the meet was probably the best that I had seen on horse racing. They are now covering Churchill Downs and Hollywood with on meet reporters and their coverage is outstanding. These reporters interview jockeys and trainers before and after the race and pass on many informative tidbits; where else could you listen to Asmussen, Frankel, Lucas, Sandler, Ward or Mandella taking about the chances of their horses in the upcoming races? For example, yesterday, the trainer of Conintental Red, Ian D. Jory, when queried about who was the biggest threat to his horse’s chances, gave away the winner –a shipper from TuP.

Now, not all the coverage is that good, and yesterday’s 10th at AQU was tape delayed because it went off just after a race at Hol, but usually you’ll get to see the program, and post parade along with with guest hosts’ analysis of the upcoming race.

I also don’t buy the criticisms of the show anchors, during dead time they have to talk about something. TVG is a bargain, and when compared to other alternatives it’s a gift.

Tom
04-25-2004, 10:15 AM
Yesterday, I listened to 5 different TVG people during an hour that featured 4 races. The ratio is bizzare. The dead time is unaccepptable-TVG is good, it could be great. They need major reshuffling.
It is still far better than "You (sometimes can) Bet."

Pace Cap'n
04-25-2004, 10:37 AM
Where else could you hear Jill Interview Bobby?

JustRalph
04-25-2004, 01:11 PM
Originally posted by Tom
I like TVG, but they have a lot of hours when they show very few races do an awful lot of talking. Some of the talking heads are entertaining, but most are drab know-nothings whe would be bagging groceries if they wern't on camera.

Most of them are award winning sports producers etc. They have won things like Emmy's and Eclipse awards........but I don't exactly disagree with Tom. The subject matter they have to work with is pretty drab at times. They talk so much, when they don't have races going off right together. If the tracks would get it together and send their races off a few minutes apart, it would be much easier for TVG. You can email them and complain about the schedule. It is mostly set due to contract restrictions etc. The Scheduling coordinator is constantly frustrated with what "he has to show" as opposed to what "he could show" and he has told me this. CJ is right about the better race being shown on Tape delay while they show a live "NW2 with only 3 legs" from Hooterville downs. It does kind of suck. But many times the contract with Fox Sports requires they show certain races from certain tracks "first up" But there isn't a better product out there for the moment.

Just in case you didn't know it.........the guy who hosts "The Bachelor" on ABC Tv was a Tvg guy before he got that gig. He was pretty good and was also a big time sports anchor in Texas prior to that. But....I really didn't like him on TVG......too pretty for me.

BigJake
04-25-2004, 06:44 PM
I have heard of HRTV. They were showing SA and Gulfstream this spring. I haven't even heard of it being available to me in KY, but I wanted to know if some of you have it available.

I'll be honest about TVG. I have a wife and 3 kids and don't get the opportunity to bet as often as I would like, but Friday night Hollywood Park is Great!! I can take my family out for dinner and bring them home, put the kids to bed and race all night from my very own Lay-Z-Boy. No $3 beers or $4 Hot Dogs. Like someone else said, there is nothing better out there right now.

schweitz
04-25-2004, 07:35 PM
I'm getting TVG for free with Dish Network so I guess it's a gift. I wager through Brisbet and would rather watch the races on line than TVG. You never know if they are going to show your race live or delayed (unless you are wagering on California tracks). If a Sam Houston race is starting (and according to the schedule is going to be carried live) and you tune in to see an interview with a quarter horse trainer at Los Al it will drive you crazy after the fourth or fifth time this happens. I would never pay for the signal. They just don't show enough live races.