PDA

View Full Version : Olympic Hockey

Jay Trotter
02-13-2014, 08:14 AM
Up early to watch the start of Men's Olympic hockey. Let the games begin!

First, a shout out to the Canadian women's team for beating the Americans 3-2 yesterday. It was a pretty good game. The Americans were the better team overall. Definitely lacks the pace and speed of the men's games. Anything other than a Gold Medal rematch between these two teams would be a major upset.

The Men's competition is obviously a much more wide-open affair. Should be some exciting hockey.

I do have a question for our American friends -- are you able to watch the hockey games live? From what I can see everything is being run in prime time only. Are there ways for you guys to watch live?

Back in the day I hated Russia and they were the obvious villains but as the years have gone by I believe I would now have to cheer for the Russians to beat the Americans. A sign of respect for American hockey? Perhaps -- I'm not sure but I prefer Ovechkin to Kane!

dirty moose
02-13-2014, 08:16 AM
Good morning Jay. Snow is crazy here in Queens NY, so I called out of work.
As for the game it's on live TV right now. I'm sure they will re broadcast in prime time later on.

Are the Bruins your team?

RaceBookJoe
02-13-2014, 08:34 AM
Yes, watching the game live on tv, nbcsports network.

ManU918
02-13-2014, 09:30 AM
No surprise today as USA was a 4.5/1 favorite.

MutuelClerk
02-13-2014, 09:54 AM
Jay, all games live on NBCSports. Used to be Versus. The only time I can watch women play hockey is when it's USA vs Canada. Those two teams are so much better than their competition. I love the rivalry. I think USA was jobbed on the second goal but at the same time I thought Canada outplayed the USA. Hopefully USA has enough resolve to return the favor when they play for gold.

I'm hoping Phil Kessel and JVR lead Team USA to gold. Giving you even more reason to hate the TML. As far as Kane vs OV I don't care for either frankly. I hope Kane can find a cab in Russia.

ManU918
02-13-2014, 10:18 AM
I thought Canada outplayed the USA. Hopefully USA has enough resolve to return the favor when they play for gold.

I have to disagree... If the refs would have done their job there would have been three or more to many women on the ice penalty's and on top of that like you mentioned Canada's second goal should have never counted. USA will get them when it matters.

HoofedInTheChest
02-13-2014, 10:36 AM
Back in the day I hated Russia and they were the obvious villains but as the years have gone by I believe I would now have to cheer for the Russians to beat the Americans. A sign of respect for American hockey? Perhaps -- I'm not sure but I prefer Ovechkin to Kane!
What the what? You keep making posts like this and i will personally drive you to the border. What happened to your boy Selanne today? Ohhhhh my neck hurts, i better leave the game....... :lol:

You really think the ladies got outplayed? The Canadian girls were flying the other day, as well as doing a good job playing the body. I thought they played a solid game, and the Canadian defensemen (#3 Jocelyne Larocque) played a brilliant shutdown game. The second goal was legit, the puck was loose the whole time and the American defender put it in her own net.

As expected, speed kills! The high flying Americans layed a beatdown on the Slovaks today, gotta love it. Chased Halak from the net in the second period and Budaj didn't fair much better. What the heck happened to the Slovaks, they use to have more game than that. The Hobbit had a 3 point game and JVR had two points, i expected nothing less. I'm really looking forward to the game on Saturday between U.S.A/Russia, the stars and stripes better not let me down.

The Russian's had a bit of a scare with the Slovenians, if you can't rout a weak team like the Slovenians, you are in for a world of hurt down the road.

RaceBookJoe
02-13-2014, 12:22 PM
I have 2 games on right now, one on USA network, the other on MSNBC

Jay Trotter
02-13-2014, 01:29 PM
Fairly even first period. Kudos to Norway for a solid effort. Scoreless.

Canada comes alive in the second scoring twice but the net could have been filled with a few bounces. Norway unable to put a shot on net.

Tollefsen playing very aggressive with some huge hits and Zuccarelo carrying some big minutes and looking fairly solid for the Norwegians.

Canada much the best overall. Will be interesting to see how the third plays out. :ThmbUp:

HoofedInTheChest
02-13-2014, 05:41 PM
One thing that is great to see with the hockey is the officiating. There letting them play, and not calling every freakin bodycheck a roughing penalty like they have in the past. Even with the women's game, there was a boatload of hitting in their games and there isn't supposed to be any, lets hope it continues.

Who was the jackass that had the bright idea of sending Glen Healy to Sochi? It's bad enough i have to listen to his negative bullshit with the Leafs, now i have to listen to him drone at the Olympics? I see Pierre Mcguire is doing the analysis for NBC, man i miss him on TSN.

Jay Trotter
02-13-2014, 07:35 PM
Who was the jackass that had the bright idea of sending Glen Healy to Sochi? It's bad enough i have to listen to his negative bullshit with the Leafs, now i have to listen to him drone at the Olympics? I see Pierre Mcguire is doing the analysis for NBC, man i miss him on TSN.BINGO! We agree on something. :ThmbUp:

HuggingTheRail
02-13-2014, 09:27 PM
Who was the jackass that had the bright idea of sending Glen Healy to Sochi? It's bad enough i have to listen to his negative bullshit with the Leafs, now i have to listen to him drone at the Olympics? I see Pierre Mcguire is doing the analysis for NBC, man i miss him on TSN.

Maybe they will leave him there?? :p

maclr11
02-13-2014, 09:38 PM
I cant wait to get rid of Simpson and Hughson. Such major homers.

I love TSN's coverage of hockey but that's all coming to an end.

Sportsnet does not have too many people that interest me as hockey commentators.

Guess I'm sticking with CSN and Pat Foley and Eddie O.

As for the games, nothing much to note. Everyone feeling each other out, seeing how everything gels, I know nothing more today than I did yesterday about this team or any of the other teams really.

Tomorrow won't be a great day of hockey either.

HoofedInTheChest
02-14-2014, 02:38 AM
I cant wait to get rid of Simpson and Hughson. Such major homers.

I love TSN's coverage of hockey but that's all coming to an end.

Sportsnet does not have too many people that interest me as hockey commentators.

Guess I'm sticking with CSN and Pat Foley and Eddie O.

As for the games, nothing much to note. Everyone feeling each other out, seeing how everything gels, I know nothing more today than I did yesterday about this team or any of the other teams really.

Tomorrow won't be a great day of hockey either.
I couldn't agree more mac.

The Canadian's were rolling lines so quickly it was hard to get a read on the pairings. One thing i would love to see is Matt Duchene on the first line, i know he shoots left but he has an elite skillset, as well as high end skating, and would compliment Crosby and Kunitz nicely. I know he is in the lineup vs Austria, and it will be interesting too see where he ends up, i was happier than a pig in poop when he made the team, love his game.

Today's game was frustrating at best, Norway wasn't willing to play the game of hockey, they were just collapsing in front of their net. The one mistake Canada made after it was apparent they couldn't get shots through, was to start eliminating shot blockers. They should have kept Weber on the point, and had the forwards constantly feeding him one timers, and pick off the shot blockers one by one. With his bomb i find it unlikely that many would have stayed there after being hit once or twice. Like Bobby Hull use to say, the first shot of every game should be at the goalies head!

Norway is a great skating team, and they didn't use it to their advantage, Canada was dysfunctional in the first period and they could have taken advantage of that. Instead they decided to hit every Canadian within reach, which is a terrible game plan, the last thing you want to do is wake up a sleeping giant. I had to laugh at Tollefsen, you would think he would have taken the hint after taking a bullet to the head while sitting on the bench, it was good to see Benn and Getzlaf straighten him out.

ManU918
02-14-2014, 04:52 AM
The second goal was legit, the puck was loose the whole time and the American defender put it in her own net.

Huh? The whistle to stop play clearly came before the puck crossed the goal line....Not sure how one can consider that "legit".

HoofedInTheChest
02-14-2014, 05:55 AM
Huh? The whistle to stop play clearly came before the puck crossed the goal line....Not sure how one can consider that "legit".
The ref was caught out of position in the neutral zone when the goal was scored, and blew the play down for fear of blowing the call, which she got wrong anyway. The goaltender never had possession of the puck, the point shot hit her in the chest and the puck laid in front of her, the defender tried to shovel the puck under her, and the puck slid through her and entered the net. Seeing that the ref was out of position to make the call, they went to video review. Upon review, they found the goaltender never had possession of the puck, therefore the play shouldn't have been blown dead. They overturned the refs whistle and the goal stands.

A video review can overturn a refs decision, it happens all the time.

rastajenk
02-14-2014, 06:41 AM
When it comes to women on ice, I prefer the curlers. That game seems to attract a lot of attractive participants. :ThmbUp:

HoofedInTheChest
02-14-2014, 06:47 AM
When it comes to women on ice, I prefer the curlers. That game seems to attract a lot of attractive participants. :ThmbUp:
Ive never been a fan of Russian women, but i have to say, the women on the Russian curling team are smokin. There are a few others that i have noticed as well, and thank god for that, that game is like watching paint dry.

ManU918
02-14-2014, 08:29 AM
The ref was caught out of position in the neutral zone when the goal was scored, and blew the play down for fear of blowing the call, which she got wrong anyway. The goaltender never had possession of the puck, the point shot hit her in the chest and the puck laid in front of her, the defender tried to shovel the puck under her, and the puck slid through her and entered the net. Seeing that the ref was out of position to make the call, they went to video review. Upon review, they found the goaltender never had possession of the puck, therefore the play shouldn't have been blown dead. They overturned the refs whistle and the goal stands.

A video review can overturn a refs decision, it happens all the time.

Whether the play should or shouldn't have been blown dead is another story, the bottom line is that it was blown dead. Once a whistle is blown the play is over... When the whistle sounded, the puck was about 10 inches shy of the goal line. Therefore it shouldn't have been a goal.

HoofedInTheChest
02-14-2014, 06:05 PM
Whether the play should or shouldn't have been blown dead is another story, the bottom line is that it was blown dead. Once a whistle is blown the play is over... When the whistle sounded, the puck was about 10 inches shy of the goal line. Therefore it shouldn't have been a goal.
Seriously dude? WTF

Who has the final say, the ref or the war room at the Olympics?

You are getting all bent out of shape over a meaningless game, both teams had already qualified for the semi-finals, the only thing to be gained from this game was the choice of jersey colors for their next match. :rolleyes:

MutuelClerk
02-15-2014, 10:04 AM
Wow. Great game!!! USA gets a HUGE break. What goes around comes around. Going to the shootout.

horses4courses
02-15-2014, 10:18 AM
:) :ThmbUp:

MutuelClerk
02-15-2014, 10:23 AM
WOW!!!!!!!!

jballscalls
02-15-2014, 11:36 AM
Now that was awesome!

ManU918
02-16-2014, 04:30 AM
You are getting all bent out of shape over a meaningless game, both teams had already qualified for the semi-finals, the only thing to be gained from this game was the choice of jersey colors for their next match. :rolleyes:

So if the Canadian team was playing in the gold medal game and a similar situation occurred you would be okay with the opposing team being awarded a goal?

HoofedInTheChest
02-16-2014, 07:18 AM
So if the Canadian team was playing in the gold medal game and a similar situation occurred you would be okay with the opposing team being awarded a goal?
Absolutely, it’s called losing with class, no one likes sour grapes. If the shoe was on the other foot in that situation, i would still call it a good goal, that’s the difference between you and i, some of us actually understand the rules.

At the end of the day it’s just a game, don’t get me wrong, i love the game of hockey and i am a huge supporter of Team Canada, but there are more important things in life to worry about, especially when it comes to women’s hockey. What you fail to realize is, if there was a game to lose, that was the one. I would make a sizeable wager that the American women will come out pissed off in the finals and turn the tables on the Canadians, and if they do i will be the first to congratulate them.

It’s funny, i haven’t herd a peep from you on the disallowed Russian goal from yesterday, i guess when the rules serve your needs it’s all kosher.

ManU918
02-16-2014, 07:33 AM
It’s funny, i haven’t herd a peep from you on the disallowed Russian goal from yesterday, i guess when the rules serve your needs it’s all kosher.

International rules say if a net is off its hinge, the goal should not be allowed. Is there a spot in international rules that say once the whistle blows the play is not dead? If so, please show me and I will admit to being wrong.

HoofedInTheChest
02-16-2014, 07:45 AM
This is getting old, i'd rather watch Kessel light it up than listen to your petty whining. Have a look at the IIHF rules concerning video reviews.

ManU918
02-16-2014, 08:12 AM
This is getting old, i'd rather watch Kessel light it up than listen to your petty whining. Have a look at the IIHF rules concerning video reviews.

According to the IIHF once the whistle blows the play is over. I have come to find that the IIHF does not use audio during their video reviews. .... Two things... The goal should not have counted and the IIHF needs to add audio. This could hurt more teams moving forward.

HoofedInTheChest
02-16-2014, 09:50 AM
According to the IIHF once the whistle blows the play is over. I have come to find that the IIHF does not use audio during their video reviews. .... Two things... The goal should not have counted and the IIHF needs to add audio. This could hurt more teams moving forward.
I can’t believe i wasted my time with this.

From the IIHF.....
“The IIHF reviewed the play and deemed it a goal because the whistle was blown incorrectly, the ruling, in the end, was that the intent of the whistle was incorrect which can be reversed by International rules.”

If we were playing under NHL rules, it would have been a non goal, but like i have already explained to you in post #16, a refs call/whistle can be reversed/overturned under international rules.

By the way, they did have audio when reviewing the play, what do you think the headphones are for? They are certainly not listening to Motley Crue while reviewing a play, the ref claimed the audio proved the whistle was blown before the puck went in the net, but again, the play should not have been blown dead.

MutuelClerk
02-16-2014, 10:15 AM
I'd rather see Kessel receive the gold medal. Then on HNIC when he and JVR are recognized before the game I really want to see how the home crowd reacts. I'd guess about 80% polite claps. 20% indifference. North American hockey rules.

HoofedInTheChest
02-16-2014, 10:32 AM
I'd rather see Kessel receive the gold medal. Then on HNIC when he and JVR are recognized before the game I really want to see how the home crowd reacts. I'd guess about 80% polite claps. 20% indifference. North American hockey rules.
That was a hell of a game, our boy Kessel proved once again why he is the top American sniper. You wont get bubkis from the Leaf fans, if your jersey doesn't dawn the red maple leaf, then they really don't care.

The big red machine barely squeaked by the Slovaks today, they sure look like a medal contenders to me. :rolleyes:

Putin' expression after the game was priceless!

Jay Trotter
02-16-2014, 02:53 PM
Pretty good game between Canada and Finland today. Tough sledding out there. Canada deserved the win but a bounce could have sent the game the other way easy enough.

Doughty playing top notch. The entire "D" get full marks. P.K. Subban's offense isn't really needed so I would be surprised to see him in the line-up barring injury.

I'm not impressed with Nash! He obviously is very talented but I don't ever see him breaking through. The plays always end up going nowhere. If Kunitz isn't playing with Crosby he should probably be parked as well. I think St. Louis would easily out-spark these two.

Selanne was fairly noticeable out there. Fairly involved and lots of icetime. Not bad for an old man!

Go Canada Go!

ps. Hoofy is a traitor for evening mentioning those American guys! :ThmbDown:

HoofedInTheChest
02-16-2014, 09:33 PM
ps. Hoofy is a traitor for evening mentioning those American guys! :ThmbDown:
You’re absolutely right Trotsky, now that we are through the prelim games, it’s time for me to start roasting some American players. Where to start? Who has been really stinking up the joint? Hmmmmm let me see....... oh ya its obvious! Hands down it has to be Blake Wheeler, man does he ever suck, are his gloves filled with cement? Are those toe picks on the front of his blades? He sure skates that way, maybe he will have a career with the ice capades once he’s done in the NHL. 1 crappy assist in 3 games, i’m not sure what club team he plays for but they must be suffering with him in the lineup. If it wasn’t for guys like Jokinen, Frolik and Pavelec, he would definitely be the lousiest player at the Olympics.

You are right about Selanne, he was very noticeable today, i noticed he lost every puck battle he engaged in. I noticed all the 0’s beside his name on the score sheet. I noticed he was wandering around out there like a homeless person high on Lysol.

But seriously, our forwards really need to pull up their pants and start burying some of these chances, if it wasn’t for the production from our defensemen, we would be in trouble. There was a lot of positives from today and i like the way we played, we just can’t seem to finish, and it’s hard to believe with that roster. Has Babcock eliminated the physical game?

Oh joy, we get the Swiss again on Wednesday, that should be a real barn burner. I despise teams that play this kind of hockey, here comes the passive defensive system. :bang:

Jay Trotter
02-16-2014, 10:17 PM
Hoofy, I hope there is room for you on the Canadian bandwagon!

Not sure why you're hatin' on Wheeler. He didn't get much icetime the first two games but he actually played fairly well in the third. I'm not pickin' on your Maple Buds, I'm just being Pro-Canadian.

I'm wondering if Selanne slept with your wife or something on one of his road trips to Toronto. Not sure why you have such a dislike for such a universally well regarded player of his stature. He is playing in his 6th Olympic games and actually scored his 23rd Olympic goal in game 2. I'm not comparing him, at age 43, to your Buds but come on man give the guy his due. (You do want me to respect your hockey opinions don't you?) Just as an aside, you know the Buds picked some guy named Scott Pearson ahead of Teemu in the 1988 Draft! (Things that make you go hmmmmm)

Okay, I'll move over a bit and make some room on the bandwagon for you as long as you go all out Canadian until the Olympics are completed. Deal? :ThmbUp:

Greyfox
02-16-2014, 10:34 PM
Was there any douthy...err..doubt they, that is Canada, would not be in the medal round?

But from here on in it is "tight collar check" time.

Canada, the United States, and Russia are NOT TEAMS!
They are collections of excellent hockey players, trying to be teams.
As a result, they are beatable.
A team can beat a collection.
Of course most of the other countries are represented by collections too.
The country which becomes a team, rather than a "collection" will win this tournament.

HoofedInTheChest
02-17-2014, 07:28 AM
Hoofy, I hope there is room for you on the Canadian bandwagon!

Not sure why you're hatin' on Wheeler. He didn't get much icetime the first two games but he actually played fairly well in the third. I'm not pickin' on your Maple Buds, I'm just being Pro-Canadian.

I'm wondering if Selanne slept with your wife or something on one of his road trips to Toronto. Not sure why you have such a dislike for such a universally well regarded player of his stature. He is playing in his 6th Olympic games and actually scored his 23rd Olympic goal in game 2. I'm not comparing him, at age 43, to your Buds but come on man give the guy his due. (You do want me to respect your hockey opinions don't you?) Just as an aside, you know the Buds picked some guy named Scott Pearson ahead of Teemu in the 1988 Draft! (Things that make you go hmmmmm)

Okay, I'll move over a bit and make some room on the bandwagon for you as long as you go all out Canadian until the Olympics are completed. Deal? :ThmbUp:
Hook line and sinkered!

I'm just pullin your leg Trotsky, and you took the bait, hence the "But seriously". Wheeler is my favorite Jet, and i have the utmost respect for Selanne, but it's the only ammunition i have when it comes to your trash talking of my Buds. When are you going to learn i'm just messin with ya. ;)

Canada's bandwagon? I may like the Leafs, but i love the National Team, the NHL is just filler until these type of tournaments come along. When it comes down to the U.S.A/Canada matchup, all gloves are off, but i have respect for the American National Team, how can you not, any team that makes Russia look bad is alright in my book.

What really blows about yesterdays overtime win, is the fact that the U.S and Canada will face each other in the Semi's, and not in the Gold medal game, so much for the two best teams meeting for the Gold.

MutuelClerk
02-17-2014, 07:57 AM
Totally agree about the respect factor. If USA doesn't win it I hope Canada does. Drew Doughty is the best junior hockey player I ever saw. Love that kid. One thing about the NBC Sports coverage that I like more than CBC hockey coverage is no commercials.

Usually can't watch women's hockey. BUT when it's USA vs Canada I can't turn it off. Great rivalry. Looking forward to gold medal game.

HoofedInTheChest
02-17-2014, 08:32 AM
The Brackets

Jay Trotter
02-17-2014, 09:34 AM
http://cdn.onextrapixel.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/hook.jpg

WELL THEN, YOU GOT ME
:ThmbUp:

HoofedInTheChest
02-18-2014, 03:18 AM
Phil Kessel is the leading men's scorer so far, and his sister Amanda is tied for the leading women's scorer.
https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-frc3/t1/1908230_10152401710151055_1346038900_n.jpg

ManU918
02-18-2014, 07:42 AM
I can’t believe i wasted my time with this.

From the IIHF.....
“The IIHF reviewed the play and deemed it a goal because the whistle was blown incorrectly, the ruling, in the end, was that the intent of the whistle was incorrect which can be reversed by International rules.”

If we were playing under NHL rules, it would have been a non goal, but like i have already explained to you in post #16, a refs call/whistle can be reversed/overturned under international rules.

By the way, they did have audio when reviewing the play, what do you think the headphones are for? They are certainly not listening to Motley Crue while reviewing a play, the ref claimed the audio proved the whistle was blown before the puck went in the net, but again, the play should not have been blown dead.

Can you send me a link to what you are referencing? I referenced NBC when I said there was no audio during the replay. I would like to send them what you are saying about the ref having audio.

HoofedInTheChest
02-18-2014, 02:58 PM
Quarterfinal Brackets

HoofedInTheChest
02-18-2014, 03:13 PM
Thank freakin god the Latvian's took down the Swiss, leave it to a Canadian coach (Ted Nolan) to get the job done. Atleast Latvia plays more of a north south game instead of that pathetic passive defensive game, or as i like to call it, "The Coward System". If you need to rely on a defensive system to compete, you have no business being in this tournament.

I'm happy for Latvia and their fans, everyone wrote them off including me, but i would enjoy the moment while you can, because you are about to get steamrolled tomorrow, Canadian style.

I hope Teemu has the game of his life tomorrow, but i think they are in tuff, especially after losing 3 top centremen. I don't blame them for using a trapping system with the injuries they have, let's just hope they can contain the Russians.

Go Finland!

Jay Trotter
02-18-2014, 03:19 PM
Sweden, Finland, Canada and the Czech Republic! Let's go! :jump:

HoofedInTheChest
02-18-2014, 07:47 PM
My Bracket Picks

Sweden
Russia
Canada
U.S.A

Greyfox
02-18-2014, 08:25 PM
So the Canadian coaching and management team went to a game today with the major purpose of how to defeat the Swiss.
Didn't happen.
Latvian Coach Ted Nolan always had a way with getting the most from his guys.
Canada now has to put Latvia in their sights. They're surprised.

Jay Trotter
02-18-2014, 09:10 PM
My Bracket Picks

Sweden
Russia
Canada
U.S.A <<<<<<<-----this is high treasonThey have too many Leafs to win!:faint:

Stillriledup
02-19-2014, 05:15 AM
I have a question(s). Why is Russia not eliminated for losing to the USA and part 2 of the question is this, if the USA loses their next game, are they out of the running for the gold medal? Im not sure how this works, i know Russia lost to the US, but i saw the "bracket" on espn and Russia was still in the running.

ManU918
02-19-2014, 08:06 AM
Lines for today's games:
Sweden -1800/Slovenia +950
Russia -225/Finland +185
Canada -5000/Latvia +1600
USA -400/Czech Republic +300

HoofedInTheChest
02-19-2014, 08:10 AM
I have a question(s). Why is Russia not eliminated for losing to the USA and part 2 of the question is this, if the USA loses their next game, are they out of the running for the gold medal? Im not sure how this works, i know Russia lost to the US, but i saw the "bracket" on espn and Russia was still in the running.
The first 3 games were preliminary games, it basically sets you up for the playoff rounds. You can lose all your prelim games and still qualify for the playoffs, everyone makes the playoffs. You essentially want to win as many as you can, the more points you gain, the weaker the opponent you have to face. The top 4 teams get a bye to the quarterfinal round.

Now that we are in the playoff rounds, if you lose you are finished, except in the semi-finals, if you lose you play for a Bronze medal.

ManU918
02-19-2014, 08:33 AM
What was Russia thinking sitting Bob?

HoofedInTheChest
02-19-2014, 09:53 AM
Russia is out! :lol: :lol: :lol:

The Russians could not contain the speed of the Finns, nor the faceoffs, and as usual the Russians play as individuals and not as a team. They have always been self destructive, they face some diversity and they implode. The coaching staff is a complete joke, what’s with the two guys below the goal line on the powerplay? You are leaving the other 3 to play against 4, it makes no sense. As well they had Kulemin on the PP, are you freakin kidding me? I guess they don’t watch any Leaf games. Someone needs to explain line matching to the coaching staff.

Teemu Selanne gets the game winner, god i love that guy. :lol:

Tuuka Rask had a hell of a game. :ThmbUp:

It just shows you how powerful the Canadians are, they put on a puck possession clinic against the Finns, the Russians, not even close.

50 Billion dollars and no hockey medal!

Great work gents, the herring is on me. :ThmbUp:

MutuelClerk
02-19-2014, 10:24 AM
I'm very happy Mother Russia is eliminated. Especially with Putin watching. Ovechkin is a great goal scorer but such a selfish player. The Leafs really miss Leo. I hope he returns and helps out our PK which is truly abysmal. Hopefully USA and Canada win today and we meet Friday. Much like Seattle vs San Francisco was the real Super Bowl. This will be the gold medal game. I really respect the way the Finland plays. Especially with the injuries. Class.

maclr11
02-19-2014, 10:56 AM
By no means did I want Russia to win, but I didn't want it to end like this. Disorganized and chaotic. The pressure at home must be crazy, I remember how nuts Canada was 4 years ago. I actually feel bad for some of the Russian players, politics and bs got in the way, way too much. So much weight on Ovi, Malkin, Daytsuk and not put in positions to succeed.

ArlJim78
02-19-2014, 11:53 AM
For two weeks all I've heard is how this is the only medal which matters to Russia, and that if they don't win the hockey gold none of the others matter.
I don't normally take satisfaction in any one teams loss, but this one is very sweet.
:lol: Sorry Vladimir, I love it.

Jay Trotter
02-19-2014, 12:05 PM
Was on the road so I didn't get to see the Russia/Finland game but I hear my man, Teemu netted the winner and added a helper! :jump:

I'm all set-up now at the racebook to watch Canada/Latvia. Go Canada Go!

MutuelClerk
02-19-2014, 02:28 PM
Game on.

Jay Trotter
02-19-2014, 02:30 PM
Well, I have to change my underwear after that one! Shots 57 to 16 but only 2 goals. :faint:

Greyfox
02-19-2014, 02:30 PM
Whew!
A hot Latvian goalie almost matched Canada.

HoofedInTheChest
02-19-2014, 02:37 PM
Semi-Final Brackets

HoofedInTheChest
02-19-2014, 02:44 PM
Sweden, Finland, Canada and the Czech Republic! Let's go! :jump:
Piece of cake....... next! :lol:

Good call my friend on the Finland game, we both finished the day 3 for 4.

Stillriledup
02-19-2014, 04:57 PM
Semi-Final Brackets

How did Russia get into the non-canada bracket instead of the USA?

Jay Trotter
02-19-2014, 06:21 PM
How did Russia get into the non-canada bracket instead of the USA?I believe it all works based on Points earned which gives you a ranking. Sweden had 9 points which gave them the number 1 ranking. Canada and the U.S. had 8 points each which gave them 2 & 3 (I believe the U.S. got 2nd on a better goal differential) Finland got 4th.

There were 3 groups with 12 teams. The top 8 made the Quarter-finals. It would basically work like the NCAA March Madness but with less teams. So, the answer to your question is that Russia just got slotted in where their points took them.

Stillriledup
02-19-2014, 06:25 PM
I believe it all works based on Points earned which gives you a ranking. Sweden had 9 points which gave them the number 1 ranking. Canada and the U.S. had 8 points each which gave them 2 & 3 (I believe the U.S. got 2nd on a better goal differential) Finland got 4th.

There were 3 groups with 12 teams. The top 8 made the Quarter-finals. It would basically work like the NCAA March Madness but with less teams. So, the answer to your question is that Russia just got slotted in where their points took them.

Thanks.

Its a shame that US gets grouped with Canada, had they LOST to Russia in the shootout would they have avoided Canada in an earlier round?

HoofedInTheChest
02-19-2014, 08:06 PM
Thanks.

Its a shame that US gets grouped with Canada, had they LOST to Russia in the shootout would they have avoided Canada in an earlier round?
If the U.S. lost to Russia in the shootout, they would have taken Russia' place in the qualification round.

If Canada or the U.S won all their games in regulation, they would be in a different bracket, and they would have met each other in the Finals, but both teams went to overtime and it is what it is.

HoofedInTheChest
02-19-2014, 08:10 PM
Standings after the Preliminary round.

Stillriledup
02-19-2014, 09:04 PM
If the U.S. lost to Russia in the shootout, they would have taken Russia' place in the qualification round.

If Canada or the U.S won all their games in regulation, they would be in a different bracket, and they would have met each other in the Finals, but both teams went to overtime and it is what it is.

This is interesting to me, so the seedings didnt really take into consideration that Canada is the overwhelming pre-olympic favorite to win the gold? I would imagine you want to avoid Canada as long as you could, at least that's the way i would have planned it out. I know its the olympics and you're not going to lose on purpose.

Did canada only beat someone named Latvia by 1 goal? How is that possible?

PhantomOnTour
02-19-2014, 09:05 PM
We remember what Crosby did to us in Vancouver !
A little payback only seems fitting, eh?

HoofedInTheChest
02-19-2014, 09:34 PM
This is interesting to me, so the seedings didnt really take into consideration that Canada is the overwhelming pre-olympic favorite to win the gold? I would imagine you want to avoid Canada as long as you could, at least that's the way i would have planned it out. I know its the olympics and you're not going to lose on purpose.

Goaltending, the kid stood on his head. But at the same time i've never seen a goalie get gassed before, this kid looked spent by the second period.

The one area that concerns me is Canada's ability to finish, they are dominating every category possible except for goals for. When you put 57 shots on net, you would certainly expect more than 2 goals. But for me the outcome is the same whether you win by 1 or 20 goals.

Everyone keeps harping about Canada's offence, yet they forget to mention that Canada has allowed 3 goals in 4 games.

HoofedInTheChest
02-19-2014, 09:45 PM
The Canada/U.S matchup is a tuff one to call, the U.S is producing more points per game, which is a bit of a headscratcher when you compare the lineups, but at the same time Canada has the best defensive record in the tournament. If the Canadians can wake up and start producing points then the U.S. is screwed, but if they keep playing the way they have been, it's a wash. Canada has the best defense core hands down, and i would call the goalie match-up a wash, kind of, Canada's goalies haven't been really tested yet, and the team doesn't allow many shots on net.

I wen't through the stats and calculated who has the advantage in each category.

Offence = U.S.A
Defence = Canada
Goaltending = Draw
Puck Possession = Canada
Shots for = Canada
Shots Against = Canada
Powerplay = Draw (Both teams have 3 PP goals)
Faceoffs = Canada

After 4 games... per game tallies

Canada

GF = 3.25
GA = 0.75

U.S.A

GF = 5.00
GA = 1.50

Stillriledup
02-19-2014, 09:50 PM
The Canada/U.S matchup is a tuff one to call, the U.S is producing more points per game, which is a bit of a headscratcher when you compare the lineups, but at the same time Canada has the best defensive record in the tournament. If the Canadians can wake up and start producing points then the U.S. is screwed, but if they keep playing the way they have been, it's a wash. Canada has the best defense core hands down, and i would call the goalie match-up a wash, kind of, Canada's goalies haven't been really tested yet, and the team doesn't allow many shots on net.

I wen't through the stats and calculated who has the advantage in each category.

Offence = U.S.A
Defence = Canada
Goaltending = Draw
Puck Possession = Canada
Shots for = Canada
Shots Against = Canada
Powerplay = Draw (Both teams have 3 PP goals)
Faceoffs = Canada

After 4 games... per game tallies

Canada

GF = 3.25
GA = 0.75

U.S.A

GF = 5.00
GA = 1.50

Didnt Canada struggle a bit in the earlier rounds in 2010 and when they played the USA in the bigger game, they played much better?

I think they're fine and will rise up vs the better competition, should be a great game.

PhantomOnTour
02-19-2014, 10:00 PM
Oshie is going to win it by himself on a four man shorthand :D

Rookies
02-19-2014, 10:20 PM

Most money, but not the odds on lock Fav, especially away from Home. I thought the Top 4 were Sweden, Canada & U.S., Russia. The pressure got to Russia and the big guns folded under it. They haven't won the Olympic Gold since the Berlin Wall came down, I believe.

That Latvian Goalie had one of the great performances of all time... absolutely amazing! Almost stole it and Price had to come up solid on the few, very good chances, he faced.

# 1 Player in the World since 2014 began?

The U.S. & Leafs's Phil Kessel! Most Goals and Total Pts.

Should be a great game Friday. If Canada wins, it will be because the 6 Stars on Defense shut down Team America!

HoofedInTheChest
02-19-2014, 10:26 PM
Didnt Canada struggle a bit in the earlier rounds in 2010 and when they played the USA in the bigger game, they played much better?

I think they're fine and will rise up vs the better competition, should be a great game.
Canada has a much better record this time around, and yes, they generally keep getting better game by game. The problem is when they play these third rate teams they take them for granted, and let them back in the game. As well, every team is gunning for them when the play Canada, they may not win but atleast they can say they gave them a go. I expect the boys will be ready to go for the U.S., and it should be a great game.

Enough of this Oshie stuff, he's not the first guy to pull that off. Go back and have a look what Jonathan Toews did at the World Juniors. You don't have any advantage in the shootout. Oshie' girlfriend is an onion though. ;)

Stillriledup
02-19-2014, 10:31 PM
Canada has a much better record this time around, and yes, they generally keep getting better game by game. The problem is when they play these third rate teams they take them for granted, and let them back in the game. As well, every team is gunning for them when the play Canada, they may not win but atleast they can say they gave them a go. I expect the boys will be ready to go for the U.S., and it should be a great game.

Enough of this Oshie stuff, he's not the first guy to pull that off. Go back and have a look what Jonathan Toews did at the World Juniors. You don't have any advantage in the shootout. Oshie' girlfriend is an onion though. ;)

you think doc "wanted this" badly? Sure he did. And he probably wants it again this year. ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZY5lmlSRn5Q

HoofedInTheChest
02-19-2014, 10:58 PM
I almost forgot, the ladies square off tomorrow in the Gold medal game, should be a good tilt, no love lost there.

Go Canada Go!
https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/t1/1795768_663060663777881_260760445_n.jpg

Stillriledup
02-20-2014, 12:10 AM
I almost forgot, the ladies square off tomorrow in the Gold medal game, should be a good tilt, no love lost there.

Go Canada Go!
https://fbcdn-sphotos-e-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-prn2/t1/1795768_663060663777881_260760445_n.jpg

Um...go USA? :D

Should be a good game!

ldiatone
02-20-2014, 02:55 PM
and canada wins the gold!!!!!!----women. down 2 zip with 3 mins or so left and the women tie it up with their net empty. usa hits the post w/ the net empty just before the tying goal

woodtoo
02-20-2014, 03:07 PM
That was AWESOME.Gotta feel for the americans, so close they could taste it.

iRNA
02-20-2014, 03:14 PM
:)

Jay Trotter
02-20-2014, 04:15 PM
DO YOU BELIEVE IN MIRACLES!

HoofedInTheChest
02-20-2014, 04:48 PM
Very proud of our girls today, they fought hard to the bitter end and didn't give up on themselves, stand tall ladies, you got the job done! :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

Hats off to the American ladies, you played a hell of a game today and you have nothing to be ashamed of.

Congrats to the Swiss on capturing the Bronze.

RXB
02-20-2014, 04:49 PM
Nice to watch the Canadian women pull it out but this pales in comparison to how much the country cares about the men's tournament. A men's hockey gold medal for Canada is like 10 gold medals in any other event.

It's been predicted that tomorrow's semifinal will likely be the most watched online sporting event ever in the US.

Rookies
02-20-2014, 07:46 PM
Nice to watch the Canadian women pull it out but this pales in comparison to how much the country cares about the men's tournament. A men's hockey gold medal for Canada is like 10 gold medals in any other event.

It's been predicted that tomorrow's semifinal will likely be the most watched online sporting event ever in the US.

Yep. I watched the Gold Medal Women's Curling too as Canada broke it open late to defeat the Swedes and had the better looking side as well! ;) My wife didn't take it too well, when the Yanks choked it up at the end. Of course, I wondered what the Ref was smoking when their wasn't a Penalty Shot in OT!

Tomorrow Morning, Canada SHUTS DOWN! A late motion at Toronto City Council to open up the Bars early. Natch our Crackhead Mayor is all in favour! :lol: Should be another great one.

Who knows? Maybe Crosby will actually score... :rolleyes:

RXB
02-20-2014, 08:14 PM
Yes, I'm sure that your Mayor Ford is highly willing to be there in person to open as many bars early as possible... purely in the interest of bringing together the community and the country, of course.

Stillriledup
02-20-2014, 08:29 PM
Yep. I watched the Gold Medal Women's Curling too as Canada broke it open late to defeat the Swedes and had the better looking side as well! ;) My wife didn't take it too well, when the Yanks choked it up at the end. Of course, I wondered what the Ref was smoking when their wasn't a Penalty Shot in OT!

Tomorrow Morning, Canada SHUTS DOWN! A late motion at Toronto City Council to open up the Bars early. Natch our Crackhead Mayor is all in favour! :lol: Should be another great one.

Who knows? Maybe Crosby will actually score... :rolleyes:
Probably the same thing he/she was smoking when they called that "slash" on the Americans in OT.

MutuelClerk
02-20-2014, 08:34 PM
Damn. Congrats to the ladies from Canada. Helluva game. Hopefully the men get payback tomorrow.

Stillriledup
02-20-2014, 08:36 PM
Damn. Congrats to the ladies from Canada. Helluva game. Hopefully the men get payback tomorrow.

They will, bet your life on it. :D

ArlJim78
02-21-2014, 06:57 AM
It's on, USA vs. Canada hockey semifinal, 12 noon EST. This should be great.

Anyone seen Rob Ford recently? I'm thinking he's in the middle of one his famous 3 day benders. :lol:

HoofedInTheChest
02-21-2014, 08:45 AM
Anyone seen Rob Ford recently? I'm thinking he's in the middle of one his famous 3 day benders. :lol:
Rob Ford' reaction after Canada took down the U.S.http://big.assets.huffingtonpost.com/0220robford570.gif

Jay Trotter
02-21-2014, 11:07 AM
Rob got some good "air" on those jumps.....I gotta give him an 8.5! :lol:

Go Canada Go!

HoofedInTheChest
02-21-2014, 11:39 AM
It's Go Time!

http://www.niagarablog.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/02/game-on.jpg

iRNA
02-21-2014, 02:19 PM
:1:

MutuelClerk
02-21-2014, 02:24 PM
Congrats again Canada. Helluva game. A lot of talent on that ice. Well played by both. Good luck Sunday. I wish you would have started Luongo.

RXB
02-21-2014, 02:36 PM
I watched about two minutes at the end of the second period and about three minutes at the start of the third period, and then turned it off because I was bored by it. Missed nothing. Nobody scores goals anymore in hockey.

Greyfox
02-21-2014, 02:40 PM
A very well played game by both teams, but Canada had the territorial edge and Jonathon Quick, who had no chance on Canada's goal, kept Team U.S.A.'s hopes alive until the final buzzer.
Any lesser performance by Quick and Canada would have won by more than 1.

cj
02-21-2014, 03:03 PM
At no point did I ever think the US team was going to score.

HoofedInTheChest
02-21-2014, 03:10 PM
Outclassed, outsized, outplayed and outcoached.

I'm sure all the naysayers will be jumping on the bandwagon now. Canada's team defense and system really shined through, your opposition can't score when they don't have the puck. The boys played the system to perfection.

Sweden will have a really hard time with the Canadian's on Sunday.

Best of luck to the U.S. in the Bronze medal game tomorrow. :ThmbUp:

HoofedInTheChest
02-21-2014, 03:13 PM
Medal Round Brackets

ArlJim78
02-21-2014, 07:05 PM
only 1-0 but a fully deserved win by Canada. Hope they take home the gold.

PhantomOnTour
02-22-2014, 12:59 AM
At no point did I ever think the US team was going to score.
My thoughts exactly.

Congrats to team Canada...it was a 1-0 blowout.
Good luck in the gold medal game.

Rookies
02-22-2014, 12:23 PM
It's on, USA vs. Canada hockey semifinal, 12 noon EST. This should be great.

Of course, Crackhead Slobbie skived off work to go to arguably the best sports bar in North America (Real Sports) to see the Semi Final. This would be nothing new since nobody believes he put in a full day's work throughout 2013, taking time to drink and drug daily.

He's completely back in the bars, complete with stupors, wherever he goes. The penitent spin is now: " That's my personal time! " :lol:

He did say that he only had a Coke... or was that coke? ;)

Rookies
02-22-2014, 12:28 PM
The U.S. gets manhandled by Finland in the Bronxe Medal Game 5-0. If Canada were playing, it would have been the same score.

Canada doesn't play for the Loser's Medal. A Silver isn't in the cards, either. Gold or Failure.

The Star Defense was again up to the challenge v.s. the U.S. That is likely the difference between the 2 finalists.

cj's dad
02-22-2014, 05:44 PM
If the US can't win medals in either Olympics, I always root for the Canadians to win.

Having said that, to compare the brand of hoickey played by the US to Canada is not realistic. I firmly believe you all are given ice skates on your 1st birthday, if not at birth.

It would be like comparing native born Canadians playing native born Americans in a game of football. Again, no comparison. Just sayin'

woodtoo
02-22-2014, 06:13 PM
Your assessment of Canadian hockey is very near the truth.My youger brother
at 6 years old thought playing hockey was like going to school,it was required.
In his first game he flailed at the puck in front of the net,and scored his first
and only goal,unable to get back on his feet I had to pull him home on a toboggan.This was a time when doctors made house calls,he had a hernia.
Shortly after we told him,you don't HAVE to play hockey.:lol:

Jay Trotter
02-22-2014, 07:56 PM
If the US can't win medals in either Olympics, I always root for the Canadians to win.So, we can expect you to be up bright and early tomorrow morning cheering our boys on! :jump:

cj's dad
02-22-2014, 10:37 PM
Without a doubt !! You think I like the Russians, Swedes, or anyone else ?? Go Canucks !!So, we can expect you to be up bright and early tomorrow morning cheering our boys on! :jump:

HoofedInTheChest
02-22-2014, 10:55 PM
I can’t quite put a finger on it, but CurtisontheBay seems strangely familiar.

Rookies
02-23-2014, 09:31 AM
DOMINANCE FOR GOLD! :jump:

To me, it was one of the fastest, most polished skating displays I've ever seen for a Team Canada. I did notice that there were a lot of developing passes up the wings on the bigger Ice surface, that looked hopelessly out of reach. In fact, they were designed to allow the speed Forwards to catch up and set up a scoring chance. There were very few situations, where the Swedes were alone with the puck for more than a couple of seconds. Finally, that D let very few critical chances through and Price handled those with poise.

Jay Trotter
02-23-2014, 09:43 AM
http://www.joe-ks.com/images/CanadaFlag.gif
OH CANADA!

Greyfox
02-23-2014, 10:51 AM
OH CANADA!

The Canucks only allowed 3 goals in the entire tournament.

An awesome display of 200 foot Hockey!

HoofedInTheChest
02-23-2014, 12:09 PM
Oh Canada!

What a finish, the boys stuck with the system and it paid off tenfold, their stingy defensive system allowed 3 goals in 6 games, something i have never witnessed in the history of Team Canada. At no point did they have to use a trapping system, which makes their performance even more special. Most Canadian’s had a good chuckle last summer when the boys had off ice preparations due to high insurance costs, but that’s where it all started. The system was put into place and the players embraced it, they parked their egos and assumed whatever roll that was put upon them.

Stevie Y and the management staff did a masterful job assembling the right players that would complement the system, and the coaching staff took it from there. Both management and the coaching staff deserve a lot of credit for this outcome, this was the difference maker when everything was said and done.

Team Canada used a puck possession game, as well as relentless forechecking game. Their foot speed was evident in the puck battles and backchecking, something the opposition had no answer for. I have a new found respect for Carey Price, he swallowed every shot put against him, and didn’t allow any second chances, as well as his calm demeanor kept the players in front of him at ease. It would appear that Price had the tournament of a lifetime, but even he credits the players in front of him, and i would have to agree. Puck support was wildly evident and their counter transition game left little time for the opposition in the defensive end, it was poetry in motion.

Most wondered including myself, as to why this high flying offensive team was not scoring like they have in the past, but that is the difference between Canada and everyone else, we have the players that can play a complete game, a 200’ game. Canada didn’t play its traditional physical game, nor its traditional run and gun game, it was a calculated defensive system with a high amount of skill. At no point in the tournament did Canada give up a lead, it may have not been a dominant performance on the scoreboard, but it was a dominant performance everywhere else.

Well done boys! Until next time.....

Jay Trotter
02-23-2014, 02:38 PM
My takeaways......

THE WOMEN

Canada and the USA teams are fairly evenly matched. Hopefully, the other countries will close the gap going forward. I personally thought the US played better than Canada in the preliminary game but that Canada had the edge in the final even though they were down 2 with three minutes to go.

The final result could have gone either way with the Americans hitting the post with the net empty. You have to give the Canadian women high marks for never quitting though which allowed them to grab victory from the jaws of defeat.

THE MEN

What a truly amazing tournament! Anyone who thinks the NHL shouldn't be sending their players over every fourth year should have their head examined. I can't imagine a better marketing tool for growing the game.

The top six teams are all competitive and each could have easily claimed the Gold with the right bounces and goaltending performances. Speaking of goaltending, how about that Latvian kid who faced 57 shots and only allowed two goals. I'd be trading for that guy asap. That was awesome!

While handing out kudos I would be remiss not to mention my man, Teemu Selanne, the ageless wonder. I believe he carried the Finnish flag at the closing ceremonies. Class act all the way!

While the top six teams are fairly equal in talent you still have to give the Canadians the edge in depth. Each of the top countries can ice a top team but no other country could actually fill out a second team which could also compete at the same level. Going forward, as hockey continues to gain steam in the USA, the gap will keep closing and the Americans will gain that extra depth. At the end of the day though, Canada still has that little bit of magic that seems to show up in the big games. It might be decades before that edge disappears, if ever.

High marks to Stevie Y and his management team for putting together a squad that came together. From all accounts there wasn't any whining from guys like Subban and Luongo, etc. when they didn't see the ice. That is an often overlooked ingredient in winning teams.

I'm very pleased Price stepped up the way he did! I'm not big on Luongo. I love Subban but his style of play would have been a bit of an unnecessary risk, especially with the high powered output from the D that did play.

Only a few negatives to me --- why pick Kunitz if he wasn't going to play with Crosby. Also, I really felt that Nash was the worst Canadian player throughout the tournament. The guy is highly skilled and big but I don't know if he finished even one play. Every time he was involved the play just ended up going nowhere. Really disappointed in his performance. Weber was outstanding overall but I thought he was a bit shaky in the gold medal game, especially the first half of the game.

I'll give Kessel his due. He is much faster than I thought and had a fantastic tournament. The Canada/USA game was the gold medal game!

Back to our regularly scheduled NHL games.....

HoofedInTheChest
02-23-2014, 05:31 PM
Yep, it looks like we are on opposite sides of the fence again, it was fun while it lasted.

I'm sad to hear that Steve Yzerman is stepping down from the National Team, he did a tremendous job and will be sadly missed. As long as they keep Bobby Clarke away from the team we should be ok.

HuggingTheRail
02-23-2014, 06:39 PM
My takeaways......

THE MEN

What a truly amazing tournament! Anyone who thinks the NHL shouldn't be sending their players over every fourth year should have their head examined. I can't imagine a better marketing tool for growing the game.

Asking this because I really don't know the answer...does having NHL'ers in the Olympics truly grow the game? Where? Canada is basically saturated, and I am not sure that too many Americans would be swayed to the game based on seeing some of it at the Olympics. Perhaps Europe...maybe they will follow the NHL more than they do now, as they are often focused on their own national league? Just not sure, this has been 5th Olympics with NHLers, and it seems shaky they will make it a 6th... and the only group that seems to be petitioning for the NHLers to go to Korea are Canadians??

As a marketing tool alone...yes. Obviously, it leads to much higher ratings in Canada, and the CBC (along with TSN, etc) definitely see more advertising revenue.

2 things I will miss about O hockey....

the games being over in 2 hours...no TV timeouts, etc.
pace of play was crazy....there is much talk about the larger ice surface...usually in the context that it will create more goals. It didn't create more goals in this tourney, but it sure led to more pace.

HoofedInTheChest
02-23-2014, 07:08 PM
Two words, Online Streaming.

The game doesn't need to be sold in Canada, nor the northern U.S., it's the southern U.S. and the rest of the world that they need to go after. I have no idea how much of an impact the Olympics have on non-followers, that is something that only the NHL could answer.

Now that we are living in a world of online streaming, the North American game is a lot more accessible to people that couldn't watch it in the past. There is a huge following in Europe, and i'm not quite sure about the rest of the world, but i could only imagine the sky is the limit. Trotter is absolutely right about using the Olympics as a marketing tool, especially with people that don't normally tune in.

When Rogers paid billions of dollars for the exclusive rights to the NHL, they came out afterwards and said the future is in TV and online streaming. They have maximized the game at the gate, and the only thing left to go after is the worldwide audience. It would be interesting to see how many people subscribe to NHL Centre Ice outside of North America, i really have no clue.

Jay Trotter
02-23-2014, 10:01 PM
Asking this because I really don't know the answer...does having NHL'ers in the Olympics truly grow the game? Where? Basically, what Hoofy said!

The Olympics are a crazy thing with people watching the weirdest sports like they were lifelong fans cheering for their country to capture a Bronze. I know I for one will tune in to some obscure sport because Canada supposedly has a shot at the podium.

So, with that in mind, I believe hockey is the greatest sport in the world, especially when you throw in the tension and importance of each game, so people in the southern states and other parts of the world will watch just because their country is playing. Once they watch they'll say "wow, I never realized what an awesome game hockey was" and hopefully they'll become fans. Maybe I'm naive but you gotta start somewhere.

Besides, somethings like national pride should take precedence over the all mighty dollar. Just ask the players if they want to play or not -- to a man they'll say "hell yeah"!

ArlJim78
02-23-2014, 10:17 PM
While handing out kudos I would be remiss not to mention my man, Teemu Selanne, the ageless wonder. I believe he carried the Finnish flag at the closing ceremonies. Class act all the way!

I second that 100%.

NJ Stinks
02-23-2014, 11:59 PM
All is right with the world when the Canadians win like they are supposed to! :cool:

As for Trotter's point about the NHL embracing the Olympic games, the long-time NHL writer with NY Post agrees with you. The writer's name is Larry Brooks and I enjoy his hockey articles even if I don't share his passion for the game - probably because I couldn't skate my way out of paper bag. :)

Here's a link to the article:

http://nypost.com/2014/02/22/nhl-would-be-foolish-to-withdraw-from-olympics/

rastajenk
02-24-2014, 06:35 AM
Once they watch they'll say "wow, I never realized what an awesome game hockey was" and hopefully they'll become fans.
I say that every four years, but it doesn't translate into NHL fan-dom. Get rid of the fighting, maintain an Olympic pace, and I'd be more willing to give it a chance.

Jay Trotter
02-24-2014, 07:52 AM
Great article Stinks! :ThmbUp:

HoofedInTheChest
02-24-2014, 11:23 AM
I say that every four years, but it doesn't translate into NHL fan-dom. Get rid of the fighting, maintain an Olympic pace, and I'd be more willing to give it a chance.
The fighting will never leave the game, it keeps the players honest. Trust me on this one, you wouldn't like the alternative much better. What would you rather see? (A) The occasional fight, that on average, ends up being nothing more than a wrestling match, with a few wild swings that misses the intended target. or (B) STICK WORK! Players will be constantly slashing, spearing, hacking, or hitting each other over the head with the stick. It's a very emotional game, and there has to be an outlet, or a "self policing". The people that dont like the fighting are in the minority, just look at the stands when a scrap breaks out, they love it.

As far as the "pace of the game" goes, you couldn't play 82 games at that pace, you would kill the players, and you would have a completely different team on the ice at the end of the season. What you saw at the Olympics was playoff hockey, its very hard to sustain that pace over a long period of time.