PDA

View Full Version : Drayden Van Dyke

infrontby1
02-12-2014, 09:50 PM
Why in the world would this promising young jockey who's been picking up some decent mounts and winning at Santa Anita on a regular basis (i.e. win on Omega Star from Sunday's 7th race) head over to Turf Paradise on a Wednesday afternoon to ride only one race that yielded his share of the winner's purse of $361?

http://www.equibase.com/static/chart/pdf/TUP021214USA6.pdf

jballscalls
02-12-2014, 10:29 PM
Well Santa Anita wasn't running. Maybe he has a connection to the trainer or owner or his agent does and was doing it as a favor?

He rode one on Tuesday as well, maybe he was spending a few days there? When you're young you want as much experience as possible and maybe it just sounded fun?

magwell
02-12-2014, 11:07 PM
This jock has a a good future ahead of him, from what I've seen of him so far.......:cool:

Stillriledup
02-12-2014, 11:59 PM
This jock has a a good future ahead of him, from what I've seen of him so far.......:cool:

Love me some DVD. I agree, very talented for a kid with so little actual riding experience and riding in an elite colony, he's been very impressive so far.

madera12227
02-13-2014, 12:03 AM
I don't think he has any mounts this weekend.

Stillriledup
02-13-2014, 12:12 AM
I don't think he has any mounts this weekend.

That just blows my mind, owners should be knocking themselves over to get the 7 lbs and a guy who doesnt take the married mans route and actually doesnt stand up before the wire, rides em out to the end. But, Victor Espinoza is available, so why would you use DVD. :D

Just a Fan
02-13-2014, 12:33 AM
Van Dyke had a 2nd mount at TuP Wednesday, that scratched. He was also at TuP Tuesday, and rode just one cheap mount. Maybe he will get more mounts in the coming weeks at TuP on SA dark days, once trainers realize he's there and he means business. Not a bad idea to make a good impression on another circuit, in case business dries up in California when the bug runs out.

I forget who the bug was 7-8 years ago... it was a pretty successful one - that rode at Aqueduct 4 or 5 days a week, and then flew out to TuP to ride on NYRAs dark days. That was quite a schedule.

Just based on the trainers that are using Van Dyke, he is clearly on better footing than most apprentices at this early stage of their career.

Madera and SRU - Van Dyke is serving a 3 day suspension on 2/13 thru 2/15 for a riding infraction.

LottaKash
02-13-2014, 02:38 AM
Van Dyke had a 2nd mount at TuP Wednesday, that scratched. He was also at TuP Tuesday, and rode just one cheap mount. Maybe he will get more mounts in the coming weeks at TuP on SA dark days, once trainers realize he's there and he means business. Not a bad idea to make a good impression on another circuit, in case business dries up in California when the bug runs out.

I agree, when you are young, I truly believe that an up and coming Jocko should get around and get a feel of what it is like to race at other tracks and lawns.....I think riding a number of different tracks gives you a better all around feel for riding, and rounds you out as rider.....

For later on, when you hook up with a good stable or two, and when they ask or require you to ride their pony at another raceway.....This way when called on to ship out for a race or a weekend at another track, it won't be so pressure filled, as once it may have been before you had the feel of different surfaces....

Stillriledup
02-13-2014, 03:15 AM

I forget who the bug was 7-8 years ago... it was a pretty successful one - that rode at Aqueduct 4 or 5 days a week, and then flew out to TuP to ride on NYRAs dark days. That was quite a schedule.

Just based on the trainers that are using Van Dyke, he is clearly on better footing than most apprentices at this early stage of their career.

Madera and SRU - Van Dyke is serving a 3 day suspension on 2/13 thru 2/15 for a riding infraction.

Thanks for suspension info. :ThmbUp:

devilsbag
02-13-2014, 05:52 AM
Van Dyke tripped over an ottoman in TuP jocks room but is said to be ok.

Knowclew
02-13-2014, 09:19 AM

:lol:

infrontby1
02-13-2014, 11:06 AM
That was some ride Sunday at Santa Anita, perfect timing to get up at the wire in a 6.5 furlong race.

Unfortunately, that was probably his last mount carrying 7lbs.

Dark Horse
02-23-2014, 06:41 PM
This kid is going places. Just won two in a row at SA. He's been having some really nice, perfectly timed rides.

Stillriledup
02-23-2014, 06:44 PM
This kid is going places. Just won two in a row at SA. He's been having some really nice, perfectly timed rides.
Been doing that since day 1, public just catching on now. Or, NOT catching on, paying 11 and 12 dollars.

Exotic1
02-23-2014, 06:45 PM

He's doing well on the downhill which is very tricky.

lamboguy
02-23-2014, 06:45 PM
he doesn't panic

JustRalph
02-23-2014, 07:43 PM

Nice....... :ThmbUp:

GaryG
02-24-2014, 09:07 AM
Conversely, he had given Indygo Andy a couple of very weak rides. Switch to Desormeaux and he won with authority. Vandyke can ride for sure and I thank him for the ride on the Ewing first timer yesterday.

Rise Over Run
02-24-2014, 09:32 AM
Now that was top notch comedy. Thanks for the laugh.

Fingal
02-24-2014, 01:06 PM
Usually I would get over to Hollywood Park right after the gates opened to get a prime table at Whittingham's Pub, walk around, etc. One day I'm down by the walking ring killing time & there's this kid walking by, he's carrying a jock's helmet & pants but looks about 12 years old so I'm thinking " boy they start the jockey valets young these days. "

pondman
02-24-2014, 02:33 PM
[QUOTE=infrontby1]Why in the world would this promising young jockey who's been picking up some decent mounts and winning at Santa Anita on a regular basis (i.e. win on Omega Star from Sunday's 7th race) head over to Turf Paradise on a Wednesday afternoon to ride only one race that yielded his share of the winner's purse of $361?
QUOTE]

He'll need to find another home soon.

stu
02-24-2014, 06:07 PM
He's doing well on the downhill which is very tricky.

Thru Sunday he is 4 for 13 downhill.

The following ia a list of jockeys also above 20% since 1/1/2010 with a minimum of ten downhill starts:

Gary Stevens 22%
Rafael Bejarano 20%
Garrett Gomez 20%
Mike Smith 20%

If he keeps riding for Tom "King of the Hill" Proctor (35%), then he will stay among the top 'hillclimbers'

Exotic1
02-24-2014, 11:24 PM
Thru Sunday he is 4 for 13 downhill.

The following ia a list of jockeys also above 20% since 1/1/2010 with a minimum of ten downhill starts:

Gary Stevens 22%
Rafael Bejarano 20%
Garrett Gomez 20%
Mike Smith 20%

If he keeps riding for Tom "King of the Hill" Proctor (35%), then he will stay among the top 'hillclimbers'

Thanks. I didn't know the stat you posted but he did make an impression, for sure.

Stillriledup
03-03-2014, 05:17 PM
I see DVD was listed on a horse at TuP with only a 5 lb bug....but he was riding the other day at SA with a 7 lb bug does anyone know which was his last win that moved him from 7 to 5?

Just a Fan
03-03-2014, 05:36 PM
I didn't realize this until I looked it up, but Arizona has no 7 pound threshold for apprentice riders - it goes straight from 10 to 5 after your 5th win. He's claiming 7 pounds again on his SA mounts on Thursday this week.

Van Dyke has 20 lifetime wins going in to today, and should be able to claim 7 pounds in California until he gets win #40.

Stillriledup
03-03-2014, 05:43 PM
I didn't realize this until I looked it up, but Arizona has no 7 pound threshold for apprentice riders - it goes straight from 10 to 5 after your 5th win. He's claiming 7 pounds again on his SA mounts on Thursday this week.

Van Dyke has 20 lifetime wins going in to today, and should be able to claim 7 pounds in California until he gets win #40.

Great post, thanks. :ThmbUp:

Stillriledup
03-26-2014, 05:03 PM
DVD seems like another rider who will fall off the map when he loses his bug. Perfect example was today's Race 3 at TuP. He rode a horse who won last time making one move, he sat, sat, sat and let the horse roll in the lane. This horse also has shown that against this type of foe, battling is not going to get it done, Whiteshield tried that tactic a few lines down.

So, DVD takes this horse out of what he did best last time and sends him 3 wide early into the battle, loses ground on all the turns while pace pressing and folds up tent in the lane.

He rode as if he didnt realize he won on this horse last time by making one well timed move...he rode "wherever the wind took him".

Stillriledup
04-01-2014, 05:16 PM
DVD seems like another rider who will fall off the map when he loses his bug. Perfect example was today's Race 3 at TuP. He rode a horse who won last time making one move, he sat, sat, sat and let the horse roll in the lane. This horse also has shown that against this type of foe, battling is not going to get it done, Whiteshield tried that tactic a few lines down.

So, DVD takes this horse out of what he did best last time and sends him 3 wide early into the battle, loses ground on all the turns while pace pressing and folds up tent in the lane.

He rode as if he didnt realize he won on this horse last time by making one well timed move...he rode "wherever the wind took him".

STILLRILEDUP GETS IT WRONG AGAIN!

DVD ruling the world at TuP Today!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lf8dy_Z_efU