PDA

View Full Version : Ray Nagin found guilty

PhantomOnTour
02-12-2014, 05:15 PM
Former Mayor of New Orleans convicted on 20 of 21 federal corruption charges.
Faces up to 20yrs in prison.

He refused a plea deal...took the jury all of about 6hrs to convict.

Mike at A+
02-12-2014, 05:34 PM

Isn't he the guy who ironically made the comment about "Chocolate City"?

TJDave
02-12-2014, 05:46 PM

Aren't you the guy who claims that blacks are getting unfair advantages?

How could this have happened? ;)

PhantomOnTour
02-12-2014, 05:51 PM
He made that comment. He was mayor during Katrina (when I was a resident of New Orleans).

Mike at A+
02-12-2014, 05:59 PM
Aren't you the guy who claims that blacks are getting unfair advantages?

How could this have happened? ;)
Must have been an all cracker jury. Send in Sharpton. No justice no Mardi Gras.

Stillriledup
02-12-2014, 06:10 PM

Ego right to the end, it never dawned on him that he would be convicted of anything. Plea deal was a good idea, whatever it was.

TJDave
02-12-2014, 06:16 PM
Must have been an all cracker jury. Send in Sharpton. No justice no Mardi Gras.

HA HA, You a funny guy. Actually, I was referring to the fact this was a trial brought by the federal government. Do you think they didn't know Nagin was black? ;)

Mike at A+
02-12-2014, 06:31 PM
HA HA, You a funny guy. Actually, I was referring to the fact this was a trial brought by the federal government. Do you think they didn't know Nagin was black? ;)
He's pretty light skinned. Possibly mulatto like Barry. Well spoken too. That charisma should get him far behind bars. Hoping Barry gets his day in court someday too.

PhantomOnTour
02-12-2014, 06:49 PM
He's pretty light skinned. Possibly mulatto like Barry. Well spoken too. That charisma should get him far behind bars. Hoping Barry gets his day in court someday too.
Please explain what you mean here.

DJofSD
02-12-2014, 06:52 PM
http://www.latimes.com/nation/nationnow/la-na-nn-new-orleans-ray-nagin-guilty-20140212,0,4220706.story

Nagin testified that key witnesses lied and prosecutors misinterpreted evidence, including emails, checks and pages from his appointment calendar linking him to businessmen who said they bribed him.

The defense repeatedly said prosecutors overstated Nagin's authority to approve contracts. His lawyer said there is no proof that money and material given to the granite business owned by Nagin and his sons was tied to city business.

The charges against Nagin included one overarching conspiracy count along with six counts of bribery, nine counts of wire fraud, one count of money laundering conspiracy and four counts of filing false tax returns. He was acquitted of one of the bribery counts.

Each charge carries a sentence of three to 20 years, but how long he would serve was unclear and will depend on a pre-sentencing investigation and various sentencing guidelines. No sentencing date was set.

Sounds like it was a pretty air-tight case.

When was the plea deal offer made?

TJDave
02-12-2014, 06:57 PM

I think he was channeling Harry Reid.

newtothegame
02-12-2014, 06:58 PM
I agree with Phantom here.....
Mike, you make many valid points in your discussions. But, I have to tell you that at times, you do come across as filled with hatred and almost to the point of being racist.
I know Reid ( I think it was Reid) made a similar comment in regards to Obama. But, it doesn't make it right.
I am sure there are many NOT so well spoken white people.....so what is the point?

Mike at A+
02-12-2014, 06:59 PM
He is an effective speaker. Either that or he picks his audiences similar to the way 0bama does.

Mike at A+
02-12-2014, 07:01 PM
I agree with Phantom here.....
Mike, you make many valid points in your discussions. But, I have to tell you that at times, you do come across as filled with hatred and almost to the point of being racist.
I know Reid ( I think it was Reid) made a similar comment in regards to Obama. But, it doesn't make it right.
I am sure there are many NOT so well spoken white people.....so what is the point?
Why bring race into it? The guy is charismatic. So was JFK.

PhantomOnTour
02-12-2014, 07:02 PM
He is an effective speaker. Either that or he picks his audiences similar to the way 0bama does.
I don't buy that explanation for a moment.

Love the way you spell Obama with a zero instead of an O :faint:

reckless
02-12-2014, 07:15 PM
For years prior to becoming a politician Ray Nagin was a top Video DJ on a cable show in New Orleans similar to MTV.

He became so very popular that it helped him launch a political career.

Mike at A+
02-12-2014, 07:37 PM
I don't buy that explanation for a moment.

Love the way you spell Obama with a zero instead of an O :faint:
Have you heard him speak and have you heard the audience reaction? I have and I believe what I said. He impresses his audiences. So either he's a good speaker or the audience will support him no matter what. Like 0bama.

And yes, I have been spelling 0bama with a zero for several years because I think it's appropriate. To me, he is a zero. Worst president in my lifetime. Anti-business in so many ways. Society should reward and admire success, not demonize it like he has. Some people are going to be screw ups and their votes are the easiest to buy. For that I give 0bama and his party much credit. They figured out the formula and it got them the power and all the perks that go with it. Washington, DC has become one of the richest areas of the country. They are the REAL "fat cats".

PhantomOnTour
02-12-2014, 07:51 PM
Have you heard him speak and have you heard the audience reaction? I have and I believe what I said. He impresses his audiences. So either he's a good speaker or the audience will support him no matter what. Like 0bama.

And yes, I have been spelling 0bama with a zero for several years because I think it's appropriate. To me, he is a zero. Worst president in my lifetime. Anti-business in so many ways. Society should reward and admire success, not demonize it like he has. Some people are going to be screw ups and their votes are the easiest to buy. For that I give 0bama and his party much credit. They figured out the formula and it got them the power and all the perks that go with it. Washington, DC has become one of the richest areas of the country. They are the REAL "fat cats".
I lived in New Orleans when he was mayor - yes, I've heard him speak.
And I still know what you meant with your previous post.

Obama is the worst Pres of your lifetime?
Whoa - I'm surprised a 5yr old is so "well written" :lol:

DJofSD
02-12-2014, 07:54 PM
I'm curious to know, what prez gets the number two placing?

Mike at A+
02-12-2014, 08:06 PM
I lived in New Orleans when he was mayor - yes, I've heard him speak.
And I still know what you meant with your previous post.

Whoa - I'm surprised a 5yr old is so "well written" :lol:
George W. Bush: Unemployment in the 4s and 5s with a Republican Congress AND 9/11, 6s and 7s with a Democrat Congress.
Clinton: I made my "fortune" during the Clinton/Newt years. I put "fortune" in quotes because everything is relative and those were my best years career wise.
George HW Bush: His only mistake was "read my lips" and the Democrats who forced him to raise taxes jumped all over it.
Reagan: Cowboy. I like cowboys. After getting shot he told his wife "I forgot to duck". Loved that line.
Carter: Gas lines, Iran hostages, slightly better than 0bama.
Nixon: Got caught doing something far less than a dozen things 0bama has gotten away with.
Johnson: War on poverty. That worked out well. 0bama is creating more poverty.
Kennedy: OK, I was 10 years old and all I remember is that women loved him, he banged Marilyn Monroe and he was assassinated.
Eisenhower: My parents said he was a good man. I trust my parents.

Mike at A+
02-12-2014, 08:10 PM
I believe that a good president cares about ALL Americans. 0bama clearly doesn't give a flying crap about the 60% who either never supported him or stopped supporting him.

FantasticDan
02-12-2014, 08:22 PM
Mike, you make many valid points in your discussions. But, I have to tell you that at times, you do come across as filled with hatred and almost to the point of being racist. :D Similarly to how Hendrix was almost a good guitar player, or Mantle almost a good hitter :p

Mike at A+
02-12-2014, 08:27 PM
Don't confuse disgust for hatred. There are so many things 0bama can do to fix things but it will take a change in attitude which probably isn't going to happen.

And don't confuse pointing out racism for racism.

Tom
02-12-2014, 10:15 PM
School Bus Ray deserves to rot in prison.
Here's hoping he makes many, many new "friends"inside. Really "close" friends.
Really, really close.
Really close.
Really friendly.

heh, heh, heh, in a throaty tone.

MONEY
02-12-2014, 10:19 PM
School Bus Ray deserves to rot in prison.
Here's hoping he makes many, many new "friends"inside. Really "close" friends.
Really, really close.
Really close.
Really friendly.

heh, heh, heh, in a throaty tone.
In reality Ray Nagin will probably remain free while he appeals the verdict & then
receive a Presidential Pardon.

PhantomOnTour
02-12-2014, 10:29 PM
Sadly, I think the "pardon guys" might be right.
He will likely do 2-2.5yrs and be set free by the outgoing President.

Tom
02-12-2014, 10:38 PM
People like Ray are often pardoned by people like 0bama - scum floats.

rastajenk
02-13-2014, 12:28 AM
Send in Sharpton. Too busy with Christie. His show is All Christie All the Time. Can't distract him from what really matters: Bridgegate.

pandy
02-13-2014, 09:00 AM
I remember when Nagin admitted that he made a mistake by not moving the school buses, which was part of their hurricane protocol. Basically, they just forgot. But I respected him because he immediately fessed up and admitted that they made a stupid mistake and it was his fault. Now I don't respect him but I agree that Obama will probably pardon him.

The governor at the time of Katrina, I can't remember her name, was a complete joke. She refused President's Bush's offer of help, for political reasons, and then Bush took all the blame when the shit hit the fan. The Governor and Nagin both royally screwed up that whole situation. But, of course, Bush should have never listened to her. She was a partisan hack and she was completely stressed out by the storm, she couldn't do her job, she panicked.

Mike at A+
02-13-2014, 09:08 AM
The governor at the time of Katrina, I can't remember her name, was a complete joke. She refused President's Bush's offer of help, for political reasons, and then Bush took all the blame when the shit hit the fan.
Kathleen Blanco. Graduate of the Nancy Pelosi "School for Airheads".

pandy
02-13-2014, 09:20 AM
Kathleen Blanco. Graduate of the Nancy Pelosi "School for Airheads".

I remember watching her on TV during the crisis. I don't think I've ever seen a more incompetent leader under pressure. At the beginning, she thought that they had it under control and treated Bush with disdain.

rastajenk
02-13-2014, 09:23 AM
Good gosh, pandy, you're not supposed to remember that. You're supposed to remember that Bush blew the levies because he hates black people. Stick to the script. :p

Tom
02-13-2014, 12:06 PM
Don't forget he had that hurricane machine that he aimed at the Black section of town.

JustRalph
02-13-2014, 05:53 PM
The racist hunters on PA found another one.......congrats......

reckless
02-13-2014, 07:16 PM
I remember when Nagin admitted that he made a mistake by not moving the school buses, which was part of their hurricane protocol. Basically, they just forgot. But I respected him because he immediately fessed up and admitted that they made a stupid mistake and it was his fault. Now I don't respect him but I agree that Obama will probably pardon him.

Ray Nagin's admission of screwing up and 'taking blame' per the School Bus situation always had a very important but relatively ignored element to it.

At the time of Katrina's horror and when all hell broke loose, Mayor Ray Nagin was physically not in New Orleans.

Mayor Nagin was in Houston, TX., securing living accomodations while trying to establish some sort of residency so he could register his children in the public school system there.

Mayor Nagin ran while New Orleans drowned.

Tom
02-13-2014, 10:37 PM
Nero Nagin?

PaceAdvantage
02-14-2014, 12:14 AM
The racist hunters on PA found another one.......congrats......Some of it is well deserved.