PDA

View Full Version : Track videos that don't zoom in on the first plce at the end?

cutchemist42
02-11-2014, 09:47 AM
As someone who bets exactas, it gets annoying when some tracks feel its great to zoom in on a horse who's clearly going to win, leaving us exotic guys wondering whats happening off-camera based on what we last saw.

What tracks are good about showing as much of the whole race down the stretch?

wisconsin
02-11-2014, 10:30 AM
I think most are pretty good, Tampa for one. Evangeline Downs is by far the worst.

Ray
02-11-2014, 12:49 PM
The zoom in on the leader can be annoying but I understand why they do it. I think as long as they are instantly able to cut to a replay of the finish from another angle to let is know who finshed out the other placing sit would satisfy most people or a split screen of run off winner and battle for minors.which to me is the best solution and very easy for them to do

jballscalls
02-11-2014, 01:02 PM
Part of it depends on how far back from the track the cameras are. Because as you get to the finish, that's the point at which the horses are closest to the camera so you can only pan back so far before you can clearly see the #s on TV.

It's certainly a fine line to walk. I've heard some camera folks say that they like to zoom it at the wire because the owners are going to have the copy of that DVD/Video forever and want to see the close up of their horse winning.

I've heard our boss countless times calling our TV department and asking them to zoom out more or zoom in more, trying to get the perfect mix of close up enough to see the finish and far enough away to see what's going on in behind.

Hastings I believe sometimes will do a picture in picture and show the way ahead leader and also the next pack.

devilsbag
02-11-2014, 01:19 PM
A common misconception concerning Secretariat's victory in the Belmont Stakes is that the cheering was for him. In fact, people were screaming because of the photo for second. Personally, I distinctly recall watching at home and yelling for them to show the remainder of the field instead of some horse who got an easy lead and wired the field, but those stupid CBS people ignored the fact that people are betting exactas.

FantasticDan
02-11-2014, 01:22 PM
There's always the human element with this.. even an experienced camera operator falls asleep sometimes and doesn't present what's technically "best" from a betting audience standpoint. My personal pet peeve is the abrupt zoom-in at the last second which always leaves me struggling to focus :eek:

thespaah
02-11-2014, 01:53 PM
A common misconception concerning Secretariat's victory in the Belmont Stakes is that the cheering was for him. In fact, people were screaming because of the photo for second. Personally, I distinctly recall watching at home and yelling for them to show the remainder of the field instead of some horse who got an easy lead and wired the field, but those stupid CBS people ignored the fact that people are betting exactas.
Unless for that particular race NYRA changed its wagering menu, there was no exacta wagering on the 1973 Belmont. Back then, the usual placement of stakes races at NYRA tracks was the 8th race. There was w-p-s wagering only on races 2-4-6 and 8 in those days. There was DD on races 1 and 2 and Triple wagering on the 9th. Exactas on races 3,5 and 7.

Just a Fan
02-11-2014, 02:04 PM
Unless for that particular race NYRA changed its wagering menu, there was no exacta wagering on the 1973 Belmont. Back then, the usual placement of stakes races at NYRA tracks was the 8th race. There was w-p-s wagering only on races 2-4-6 and 8 in those days. There was DD on races 1 and 2 and Triple wagering on the 9th. Exactas on races 3,5 and 7.

I found an official program which references exacta wagering on the race. But the official chart doesn't show an exacta pool or payoff. Hmm.

http://www.secretariat.com/past-performances/belmont/

http://www.belmontstakes.com/UserFiles/file/1973.pdf

But when a Triple Crown is on the line, they draw an extra 50,000 people... those 50,000 folks were there and screaming because they wanted to see Secretariat win the Triple Crown, not to see who would come along to complete a $9 exacta!

Valuist
02-11-2014, 02:48 PM
I'm not a fan of the split screen. If a track is going to use a split screen, they really need Trackus. As one who watches a lot of replays of turf races, I find it difficult to get trips on all the horses at a track like the Fair Grounds because you can't see who the horses are in the back of the pack because that portion of the screen is so small. Maybe the tracks should start handing out magnifying glasses instead of t-shirts.

Ocala Mike
02-11-2014, 02:52 PM

There absolutely WAS exacta wagering on that race; my wife and I attended, and she collected over $30.00 on the winning exacta with Campo's TWICE A PRINCE second, while I tore my tickets up with MY GALLANT second. She never lets me forget it, either. There was, however, NO SHOW WAGERING.

iceknight
02-11-2014, 02:55 PM
A common misconception concerning Secretariat's victory in the Belmont Stakes is that the cheering was for him. In fact, people were screaming because of the photo for second. Personally, I distinctly recall watching at home and yelling for them to show the remainder of the field instead of some horse who got an easy lead and wired the field, but those stupid CBS people ignored the fact that people are betting exactas. So you sat at home but you knew what the crowd at Belmont was cheering for? Horse racing is about winners. let me know when they build a exacta circle to parade both horses.

cnollfan
02-11-2014, 03:05 PM
There absolutely WAS exacta wagering on that race; my wife and I attended, and she collected over $30.00 on the winning exacta with Campo's TWICE A PRINCE second, while I tore my tickets up with MY GALLANT second. She never lets me forget it, either. There was, however, NO SHOW WAGERING.

In Betting Thoroughbreds, Steve Davidowitz pointed out that the odds to win on Twice a Prince and My Gallant were virtually the same as the exacta payoffs under Secretariat. In other words, by conceding the race to Secretariat you could get the same price to beat Sham as you were getting to beat Sham *and* Secretariat.

rastajenk
02-11-2014, 03:08 PM
So you sat at home but you knew what the crowd at Belmont was cheering for? Horse racing is about winners. let me know when they build a exacta circle to parade both horses.
Yeah, that's pretty silly. I'm perfectly OK going with the "common misconception." :cool:

affirmedny
02-11-2014, 03:11 PM

I don't know if this link will work but it states the exacta paid $35.20

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1876&dat=19730610&id=jW4sAAAAIBAJ&sjid=r8sEAAAAIBAJ&pg=6701,1608105

wisconsin
02-11-2014, 03:45 PM
I don't know if this link will work but it states the exacta paid $35.20

http://news.google.com/newspapers?nid=1876&dat=19730610&id=jW4sAAAAIBAJ&sjid=r8sEAAAAIBAJ&pg=6701,1608105

Imagine getting $35 in this day and age for any Exacta in a 5 horse field with a 1/9 winning. :faint:

Ocala Mike
02-11-2014, 04:00 PM
The reason for the nice exacta payoffs was simply that the Secretariat/Sham exacta was probably odds-on. Just checked with the bride, and she thinks that $35.20 was about right.

Incidentally, the cheering was for Secretariat, IMHO.

VeryOldMan
02-11-2014, 05:52 PM
In Betting Thoroughbreds, Steve Davidowitz pointed out that the odds to win on Twice a Prince and My Gallant were virtually the same as the exacta payoffs under Secretariat. In other words, by conceding the race to Secretariat you could get the same price to beat Sham as you were getting to beat Sham *and* Secretariat.
Nice bit. Could this sort of market inefficiency ever happen in a high profile race in today's highly computerized and much more information-rich horse racing environment?

PhantomOnTour
02-11-2014, 06:14 PM
Aw come on man...the first triple crown winner in about 24yrs who is shattering the record for 12f and blowing his foes totally off the map. Running what is still recognized as the standard of performance in North American racing...and you contend they were cheering for 2nd place?

good Lord :faint:

VeryOldMan
02-11-2014, 06:55 PM
POT - I'm not exactly going out on a limb to say that devilsbag is a joking troll account. Look at his past posts and don't take it seriously.

PhantomOnTour
02-11-2014, 07:03 PM
POT - I'm not exactly going out on a limb to say that devilsbag is a joking troll account. Look at his past posts and don't take it seriously.
I hear ya', but some are pretty damned funny...this one wasn't.
I guess that's cuz I fell for it :D

VeryOldMan
02-11-2014, 07:10 PM
I hear ya', but some are pretty damned funny...this one wasn't.
I guess that's cuz I fell for it :D

Cool. And having re-read what I posted, I maybe need to make sure everyone knows I not some sort of alter ego for that account! Just someone who remembers the hype/expectation about Devil's Bag and has found the joking account to be funny on occasion.

ronsmac
02-11-2014, 08:00 PM
Nice bit. Could this sort of market inefficiency ever happen in a high profile race in today's highly computerized and much more information-rich horse racing environment?
No.

wiffleball whizz
02-11-2014, 08:04 PM
Cool. And having re-read what I posted, I maybe need to make sure everyone knows I not some sort of alter ego for that account! Just someone who remembers the hype/expectation about Devil's Bag and has found the joking account to be funny on occasion.

Meanwhile when are we gonna go bet some horses in maryland??????

Track Collector
02-11-2014, 10:28 PM
Meanwhile when are we gonna go bet some horses in maryland??????

Timonium is just 6 1/2 months away! :D