PDA

View Full Version : PROPRIETARY PROBABILITY?

Tara73
02-10-2014, 10:10 PM
I was reading a column by Steve Crist on the first three episodes of 'Horseplayers' Crist mentions that Christian Helmers uses proprietary probability when making selections in tournament play. Can we discuss what this term means in regards to handicapping? Is there any reading information on this subject. Thanks.

horses4courses
02-10-2014, 11:50 PM
That's a fancy personal morning line, right?

Overlay
02-10-2014, 11:58 PM
I was reading a column by Steve Crist on the first three episodes of 'Horseplayers' Crist mentions that Christian Helmers uses proprietary probability when making selections in tournament play. Can we discuss what this term means in regards to handicapping? Is there any reading information on this subject. Thanks.
To me, it means that he derives winning probabilities (for horses, combinations of horses, or whatever type of proposition he is wagering on) through a means or formula that he developed; that he is the only one (as far as he is aware) who uses it; and that he either does not wish to divulge it, or would want (or believe that he would be legally entitled) to be compensated for revealing it and/or allowing its use by others (or at least that others could not use it without his permission).

Clocker
02-11-2014, 03:28 AM
I was reading a column by Steve Crist on the first three episodes of 'Horseplayers' Crist mentions that Christian Helmers uses proprietary probability when making selections in tournament play.

What Crist said is that Hellmers uses "proprietary probability algorithms". Proprietary means that they were devised by, or belong to, him, and probability algorithms means that they are problem-solving procedures or calculations or programs to calculate probabilities.

raybo
02-11-2014, 12:03 PM
Agree, it's his probabilities, a line that he created using a method and/or a set of factors that has not been published or otherwise made publicly available, to the best of his knowledge anyway.