PDA

View Full Version : Michael Sam comes out - falls down the NFL draft ladder?

horses4courses
02-10-2014, 08:45 PM
How will today's news that SEC defensive player of the year Michael Sam is gay, affect his standing in this year's NFL draft?

http://www.nytimes.com/2014/02/10/sports/michael-sam-college-football-star-says-he-is-gay-ahead-of-nfl-draft.html

Stillriledup
02-10-2014, 09:13 PM
He will probably drop a few spots, but at some point, he's going to become a value pick and someone will take a chance on him. Maybe the SF 49ers will draft him. ;)

wiffleball whizz
02-10-2014, 09:15 PM
His draft stock is plummeting like stock in Enron.....

Sad but true

Think of the message the Houston texans could send if they drafted him first overall,....... Won't happen but would prove a point

horses4courses
02-10-2014, 09:16 PM
Maybe the SF 49ers will draft him. ;)

Great city, isn't it?
They're already the second best team in football, too.

dav4463
02-10-2014, 09:17 PM
I don't care. I am just tired of gay stories every single day.

cj's dad
02-10-2014, 09:27 PM
I don't care. I am just tired of gay stories every single day.

I agree. Whats the point of announcing your sexual preference? Ok, he's gay, who gives a rats ass. All the libs are coming out to congratulate him on his "bravery" in coming out. I don't care if he's having sex with a kangaroo, grow up and move on.

horses4courses
02-10-2014, 09:28 PM
I agree. Whats the point of announcing your sexual preference? Ok, he's gay, who gives a rats ass. All the libs are coming out to congratulate him on his "bravery" in coming out. I don't care if he's having sex with a kangaroo, grow up and move on.

Want to see him in a Raven's jersey?

Stillriledup
02-10-2014, 09:36 PM
Great city, isn't it?
They're already the second best team in football, too.

I know this is un PC, but they might be the actual best. If a few calls go their way in the Championship game and key players dont get hurt, they would have been the team clobbering Denver and our perceptions would be a little different as to who's the best and whatnut.

Its totally great, i went there a few years ago and i got to bet some races at Golden Gate (love that place!) and got to go into SF and meet up with a married couple that i know who lived there , had a blast.

wiffleball whizz
02-10-2014, 10:46 PM

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: post of the year

098poi
02-10-2014, 11:14 PM

I look at it the other way. It's not a big deal because he is making a big deal it is a big deal because everyone else "won't grow up and move on". If they would then this thread wouldn't even exist.

horses4courses
02-10-2014, 11:27 PM
I look at it the other way. It's not a big deal because he is making a big deal it is a big deal because everyone else "won't grow up and move on". If they would then this thread wouldn't even exist.

So....just ignore the story, and it will all take care of itself?

This is big news, whether you happen to like it, or not.
Just wait until early May when the draft is going down.

cj
02-10-2014, 11:29 PM
Anybody really think NFL scouts didn't know already?

Valuist
02-11-2014, 12:00 AM
I know this is un PC, but they might be the actual best. If a few calls go their way in the Championship game and key players dont get hurt, they would have been the team clobbering Denver and our perceptions would be a little different as to who's the best and whatnut.

Its totally great, i went there a few years ago and i got to bet some races at Golden Gate (love that place!) and got to go into SF and meet up with a married couple that i know who lived there , had a blast.

Explain the blowout losses in the regular season both times they played in Seattle the past two seasons. At SF, the games were anything but a blowout.

If anything, Seattle may have been a better NFC representative against Baltimore a year ago.

Stillriledup
02-11-2014, 12:31 AM
Explain the blowout losses in the regular season both times they played in Seattle the past two seasons. At SF, the games were anything but a blowout.

If anything, Seattle may have been a better NFC representative against Baltimore a year ago.

I'm talking about today. Or a few weeks ago, games prior to that arent a factor. If we said who's been the better team in the past 365 days or the past 2 years, that's a different argument. I'm thinking when the injured SF players get back to full strength for next season, and what i saw in the Championship game, i'm going to give them a very slight edge as the best team.

proximity
02-11-2014, 12:36 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhhAOFVJV-U

Stillriledup
02-11-2014, 12:44 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dhhAOFVJV-U

Seems like you would need to be more secure with yourself to have an ugly GF than a hot one.

wiffleball whizz
02-11-2014, 12:51 AM

From what I've been hearing the whole world knew about this......

ManU918
02-11-2014, 02:24 AM
There are probably gays in around 80% of the locker rooms throughout the world. Once he is on a team nothing will be different except for some extra media attention. It's not like hes going to try to bone a teammate in the ass when their in the shower. It's a business decision... He will until the end of time be known as the first NFL player to come out while being an active player. I know Collins (NBA) came out but his career was over... Robbie Rogers (MLS) also came out last year.

maclr11
02-11-2014, 03:00 AM
The ironic thing about this was he was already falling down draft boards already. Great edge rusher in college but the 4-3 teams are saying he's too small to be an end in the 4-3 and the 3-4 teams have better olb prospects than him due to the fact he looked way better at end at the senior bowl. Whatever he does in his personal life is his business, but he's not only sliding because of this, lots of people are unsure where he fits as he is only 6'2 and 255 which makes him one of those dreaded tweeners who climb and fall. Like Shea Mcclellen (butchered his last name OLB/DE from Boise State who the Bears took). Brooks Reid, guys that don't fit the current mold of what it takes to be an edge rusher in either defensive system.

Valuist
02-11-2014, 10:25 AM
I'm talking about today. Or a few weeks ago, games prior to that arent a factor. If we said who's been the better team in the past 365 days or the past 2 years, that's a different argument. I'm thinking when the injured SF players get back to full strength for next season, and what i saw in the Championship game, i'm going to give them a very slight edge as the best team.

We'll see how many players Seattle loses to free agency. And if Harvin can play more than one game in the regular season. We also have to see how hungry they are. I think defensive minded teams have a hard time repeating because when they are hungry, they have that extra edge. But once you get a title, you lose a little hunger, and you have a target on your back. Everybody wants to take down the Super Bowl winner.

I imagine power rating wise they will be rated similar. But I think Pete Carroll will always have his team up to play the Niners.

Valuist
02-11-2014, 10:28 AM
As for the original topic, whether or not a player is gay isn't the real issue. Its the distraction a guy like that causes. Other players don't want to have to answer needless questions about somebody else. When Tebow was in the league, he became a distraction because the media was always asking other players about him.

Its one thing for a guy to come out to his teammates when he's one of the best players on his team, like this guy was at Missouri. But at the NFL level, he's just another guy.

Enough on this subject. Time to move on.

magwell
02-11-2014, 10:59 AM
As for the original topic, whether or not a player is gay isn't the real issue. Its the distraction a guy like that causes. Other players don't want to have to answer needless questions about somebody else. When Tebow was in the league, he became a distraction because the media was always asking other players about him.

Its one thing for a guy to come out to his teammates when he's one of the best players on his team, like this guy was at Missouri. But at the NFL level, he's just another guy.

Enough on this subject. Time to move on. You have nailed it, IMO he is... ML to make it in the NFL 50-1 and wont take any action......

MutuelClerk
02-11-2014, 11:22 AM

Enough on this subject. Time to move on.

Well said. It's the media that will make this snowball a mountain. The guys in the locker room will figure it out. What jokes they can make. And just like Missouri they will make it work assuming he makes the team. Whoever drafts him will need a team with leadership. If he can play and help you win ultimately that's what it's all about.

JustRalph
02-11-2014, 11:39 AM
Some on twitter saying he did this to raise his profile to gain endorsement deals

Robert Fischer
02-11-2014, 12:47 PM
Some on twitter saying he did this to raise his profile to gain endorsement deals

It was clearly a move he did in "his best interest".

Whether it is about endorsements, draft-pressure for an undersized lineman who could slip, something the agent and the NFL got together on and wanted to keep the spotlight on the NFL, etc...

It is probably close to 100% probability that this announcement is NOT due to him "no longer being able to bear the societal pressures", or him needing to "come-out" etc.....

The media is best used as a tool (as opposed to some 'surveillance camera' of actual reality), and that is how the media is being used here.

I haven't been following the NBA, but now Silver was quoted on espn talking about the gay player again(edit-Jason Collins) while it's a talking point.

Mike at A+
02-11-2014, 12:53 PM
He will probably drop a few spots, but at some point, he's going to become a value pick and someone will take a chance on him. Maybe the SF 49ers will draft him. ;)
Or the Packers :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

cj
02-11-2014, 01:31 PM

A lot of people on Twitter say a lot of dumb things.

MutuelClerk
02-11-2014, 02:36 PM
I'm not concerned about the locker rooms and how the players handle this. Shouldn't the concern be the drunken idiots that come to game passing as fans and the lack of security at these games? It's pretty bad these days. I would imagine alcohol and homophobia wont mix too well together.

Rookies
02-11-2014, 03:38 PM

I don't think that.

But, because of statements like this:

The ironic thing about this was he was already falling down draft boards already. Great edge rusher in college but the 4-3 teams are saying he's too small to be an end in the 4-3 and the 3-4 teams have better olb prospects than him due to the fact he looked way better at end at the senior bowl.

I'm always looking for the additional angle.

Might be, that this way he ENSURES he does get drafted!

In terms of violence of Sport and the other essential ingredient- Machismo, Hockey & Football rate 1-2. It is not by any coincidence that the gay players within those sports have never come out before.

Depending on what transpires in this situation will likely dictate whether anyone else takes the plunge!

Rookies
02-11-2014, 03:41 PM
Or the Packers :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek:

I confess.... thought of that line immediately, Mike... but let it go, knowing it would come up. :rolleyes:

Valuist
02-11-2014, 04:25 PM
I don't think that.

But, because of statements like this:

The ironic thing about this was he was already falling down draft boards already. Great edge rusher in college but the 4-3 teams are saying he's too small to be an end in the 4-3 and the 3-4 teams have better olb prospects than him due to the fact he looked way better at end at the senior bowl.

I'm always looking for the additional angle.

Might be, that this way he ENSURES he does get drafted!

In terms of violence of Sport and the other essential ingredient- Machismo, Hockey & Football rate 1-2. It is not by any coincidence that the gay players within those sports have never come out before.

Depending on what transpires in this situation will likely dictate whether anyone else takes the plunge!

I don't think it guarantees anything. And if he doesn't have a good combine, he may not get drafted. Nobody has a gun to their head that they HAVE to draft someone. If he runs a good 40 time, and that is a big question, then he'll likely get drafted.

PaceAdvantage
02-11-2014, 04:31 PM
Some of you guys not only push the envelope but go way beyond at times with your comments.

I'm going to have to start cracking down on some of the comments I see around here especially where it concerns sensitive subjects. I don't like doing it, but I've grown lax and lazy when it comes to enforcement of basic rules around here.

It's my fault in the end, and I apologize for that...

proximity
02-11-2014, 05:51 PM
has there ever been an sec defensive player of the year who didn't get drafted? :confused:

horses4courses
02-11-2014, 06:09 PM
has there ever been an sec defensive player of the year who didn't get drafted? :confused:

Good question, and I doubt it - barring a catastrophic event.

Here's a list of the previous ten before Sams.
Eight were drafted in the 1st round, one in 2nd, one in 5th.

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/awards/sec-dpoy.html

wiffleball whizz
02-11-2014, 07:34 PM
Some of you guys not only push the envelope but go way beyond at times with your comments.

I'm going to have to start cracking down on some of the comments I see around here especially where it concerns sensitive subjects. I don't like doing it, but I've grown lax and lazy when it comes to enforcement of basic rules around here.

It's my fault in the end, and I apologize for that...

Don't worry cj does some hard sweeps around 11am Saturdays in the cancelation thread........posts don't last 15 seconds on there!!!.......the guy is like Patrick Roy in his prime for the avalanche.....nothing gets by him :lol: :ThmbUp: :lol: :ThmbUp: :lol: :ThmbUp: :lol:

Valuist
02-11-2014, 09:59 PM
The ironic thing about this was he was already falling down draft boards already. Great edge rusher in college but the 4-3 teams are saying he's too small to be an end in the 4-3 and the 3-4 teams have better olb prospects than him due to the fact he looked way better at end at the senior bowl. Whatever he does in his personal life is his business, but he's not only sliding because of this, lots of people are unsure where he fits as he is only 6'2 and 255 which makes him one of those dreaded tweeners who climb and fall. Like Shea Mcclellen (butchered his last name OLB/DE from Boise State who the Bears took). Brooks Reid, guys that don't fit the current mold of what it takes to be an edge rusher in either defensive system.

The guy from Boise who the Bears drafted is a good comparison. And the Bears are deeply regretting making him a first rounder. I think Mcclellen may actually be faster. So far his only claim to fame is breaking Aaron Rodgers' collarbone.

newtothegame
02-12-2014, 01:05 AM
As I understand it, this guy was projected in mid to later rounds before this came out.
Now, the media will jump all over his draft status, where he goes, and condemn those who don't take him early and praise the team that does.

Honestly, as another poster said, I could care less who or what or when or how or anything else involving his personal life...

The media is terrible for running with this.....

He personally is terrible for announcing it.....

I don't think it is necessary for ANYONE to announce what their preference (sexually) is. For anyone who feels the need to declare it, it seems to me the problem is not with those run with it but the one who is so insecure they feel the need to declare to the world who they are....

Stillriledup
02-12-2014, 01:28 AM
As I understand it, this guy was projected in mid to later rounds before this came out.
Now, the media will jump all over his draft status, where he goes, and condemn those who don't take him early and praise the team that does.

Honestly, as another poster said, I could care less who or what or when or how or anything else involving his personal life...

The media is terrible for running with this.....

He personally is terrible for announcing it.....

I don't think it is necessary for ANYONE to announce what their preference (sexually) is. For anyone who feels the need to declare it, it seems to me the problem is not with those run with it but the one who is so insecure they feel the need to declare to the world who they are....

I agree, its similar to someone announcing "i only date people of a certain race" We dont need to know what people are doing behind closed doors.

cj
02-12-2014, 01:43 AM
You guys are living in the dark ages if you think this guy could live his life as an openly gay man and nobody would make a big deal about it. He had two choices....be open, or hide it. Whether you agree with his lifestyle or not, nobody should have to hide who they are.

newtothegame
02-12-2014, 03:45 AM
You guys are living in the dark ages if you think this guy could live his life as an openly gay man and nobody would make a big deal about it. He had two choices....be open, or hide it. Whether you agree with his lifestyle or not, nobody should have to hide who they are.
I don't think cj, with all do respect, any of us are saying "hide" it....
Of course he should be open and free to live as he wishes.
But, there is a huge difference between being open and hanging banners from the highest media outlets proclaiming his "gayness".....

thaskalos
02-12-2014, 04:20 AM
I don't think cj, with all do respect, any of us are saying "hide" it....
Of course he should be open and free to live as he wishes.
But, there is a huge difference between being open and hanging banners from the highest media outlets proclaiming his "gayness".....
I don't mean to be argumentative here...but I have a hard time understanding you on this issue.

You said before that "he personally was terrible for announcing it"...and yet you say now that you are not suggesting that he should "hide his gayness".

If he doesn't "hide his gayness", and he also doesn't publicly declare that he is gay...then what would you have suggested for him to do?

Would he have been LESS "terrible" if he kept his "gayness" a secret for now...only to have it discovered by some nosy "sports reporter" later on? Wouldn't THAT have been an even bigger distraction down the road for any team that might have chosen to draft him?

He elected to be upfront about his situation from the very beginning...thus removing any blame that he would have undoubtedly received for subjecting his teammates to "more than they bargained for".

How is that "terrible"?

newtothegame
02-12-2014, 05:13 AM
I don't mean to be argumentative here...but I have a hard time understanding you on this issue.

You said before that "he personally was terrible for announcing it"...and yet you say now that you are not suggesting that he should "hide his gayness".

If he doesn't "hide his gayness", and he also doesn't publicly declare that he is gay...then what would you have suggested for him to do?

Would he have been LESS "terrible" if he kept his "gayness" a secret for now...only to have it discovered by some nosy "sports reporter" later on? Wouldn't THAT have been an even bigger distraction down the road for any team that might have chosen to draft him?

He elected to be upfront about his situation from the very beginning...thus removing any blame that he would have undoubtedly received for subjecting his teammates to "more than they bargained for".

How is that "terrible"?

Off the top of your head, who was the fourth round pick last year by (insert any NFL team here)??? I say this is those guys rarely have any notoriety.
Can the same be said of this young man now? Of course not....!
Would his name be as public had he NOT announced his "gayness"? Again, of course not.....

There is a difference between being "openly" gay and going to major media outlets and proclaiming being gay. If this young man was so interested in just being able to live a normal open life, how do you explain the fact that his parents found out only days before BY TEXT MESSAGE?

Guess he wasn't real interested in being open with them.....:rolleyes:

I will assume, for this discussion, that you are man with wife. What media outlets did you go profess your manhood too? And if you didn't, why are you not "open" about your relationship????? :rolleyes:

Point is there is a difference between being open and being what this young man is.... This young man just wrote his name in lights and now is considered to be a torch bearer for all those after him. That to me, is not being "open". That is something totally different.

I too would like for this young man to live openly....hell, if he likes he can walk down the streets of my neighborhood with his partner hand in hand. Open enough for ya? He can visit any places I eat as well with his partner.....open enough? He can go to the same shows, same car dealerships, same places my wife buys her lingerie for all I care. And further more, I am pretty sure, living just outside of New Orleans, he wouldn't get many dirty looks as there is a pretty large alternative lifestyle here.....how's that for open????

Yet none of the gay members that I know of have gone to the AP and other media outlets to profess their "openly gay lifestyle"....I guess everyone who is gay in New Orleans really needs to come out of the closet!!! :rolleyes:

Rookies
02-12-2014, 09:05 AM
" Yet none of the gay members that I know of have gone to the AP and other media outlets to profess their "openly gay lifestyle"....I guess everyone who is gay in New Orleans really needs to come out of the closet!!!"

No- NONE of the Gays you know or Gay neighbours/ friends I know, were Defensive Players of the year and are being drafted for a violent, physical man's game- the most prominent sport in the world. There was no way around this for a highly rated draft choice. I still believe part of his thinking relate to solidifying being drafted.

PhantomOnTour
02-12-2014, 10:00 AM
Maybe Sam had to break the story before someone else did.
Evidently it wasn't a well kept secret at Mizzou and I am sure NFL front offices knew (or would soon find out) and he decided to just tell everyone.

delayjf
02-12-2014, 12:15 PM
Whether you agree with his lifestyle or not, nobody should have to hide who they are.

That's fine, except there are consequences to these kinds of proclamations, people’s perceptions of you will change. In normal public settings most people are willing to live and let live. On field during games there won't be any issues. But in intimate settings like locker rooms, showers, individual insecurities and inhibitions are going to be tested. Players will be interviewed and all will be magnanimous, not wanting to be fined or lose their endorsements, but everyone knows it will affect the team chemistry.

Valuist
02-12-2014, 01:36 PM
I don't think anyone can compare a professional athlete to a regular person. Once they decide to go that route, they can make loads of money, get lots of fame; tons of women (OK, not in THIS case) etc. But the downside is the intrusion into their personal lives. Having to deal with the media. They have to realize there IS a downside and their life will be under a microscope. So was it a good idea for him to come out? Why did Jason Collins wait until he was 35 years old? Because he knew his career was over and it may have been shortened if he came out sooner.

Lets see how Sam does at the combine. He's a bit of a tweener for an NFL linebacker so lets see how fast he tests out at. If he's at 4.6, nobody will care that he came out. If he's at 4.75, you will hear that the added attention could be a distraction.

newtothegame
02-12-2014, 02:24 PM
" Yet none of the gay members that I know of have gone to the AP and other media outlets to profess their "openly gay lifestyle"....I guess everyone who is gay in New Orleans really needs to come out of the closet!!!"

No- NONE of the Gays you know or Gay neighbours/ friends I know, were Defensive Players of the year and are being drafted for a violent, physical man's game- the most prominent sport in the world. There was no way around this for a highly rated draft choice. I still believe part of his thinking relate to solidifying being drafted.
Rookies, c'mon, you are better then this.......ok, I get he is being drafted ....but to suggest that he is being drafted FOR A VIOLENT, PHYSICAL MAN'S game???

What has he been doing at Mizzou? Selling lollipops?? He has been playing a violent, physical, man's sport!
Highly rated??? So mid to late round projections are highly rated now???
As I posed in my question....name the last fourth round pick from any NFL team? Unless you are a serious football junkie or follow your team rather well, you wouldn't even know this information off the top of your head. So to claim he is highly rated, is absurd. The guy is definitely on peoples radar's now (which is why in my opinion he did it).
And no one has yet to answer if he wants so badly to live a normal life and be open about it, how is it his parents got a freaking TEXT MESSAGE just days before? Doesn't seem to be someone who is real "open" at all.

cj
02-12-2014, 03:13 PM
And no one has yet to answer if he wants so badly to live a normal life and be open about it, how is it his parents got a freaking TEXT MESSAGE just days before? Doesn't seem to be someone who is real "open" at all.

Do you know what kind of relationship he has with his parents? From what I've seen on TV, it isn't very good, and his father reacted pretty poorly in public. So, maybe there was very good reason not to tell them. But in any case, I don't see how or when he told his parents has any real bearing on this. Once he decided to go public, it was probably right to tell them beforehand.

He could have chosen to live a secret life and pretend to be straight. I imagine that is a horrible way to live, looking over your shoulder all the time. He could have not made an announcement, lived his life as he chooses, and been outed by the media. How is that a good thing for him? Or, he could do exactly what he did. Of those options, I don't see how that wasn't the best one, and that has nothing to do with draft status.

I will also say that anybody thinking this was done for his own personal financial gain is living in lala land. It will not help his draft status, and it won't get him any mainstream endorsements.

thaskalos
02-12-2014, 03:20 PM
Do you know what kind of relationship he has with his parents? From what I've seen on TV, it isn't very good, and his father reacted pretty poorly in public. So, maybe there was very good reason not to tell them. But in any case, I don't see how or when he told his parents has any real bearing on this. Once he decided to go public, it was probably right to tell them beforehand.

He could have chosen to live a secret life and pretend to be straight. I imagine that is a horrible way to live, looking over your shoulder all the time. He could have not made an announcement, lived his life as he chooses, and been outed by the media. How is that a good thing for him? Or, he could do exactly what he did. Of those options, I don't see how that wasn't the best one, and that has nothing to do with draft status.

I will also say that anybody thinking this was done for his own personal financial gain is living in lala land. It will not help his draft status, and it won't get him any mainstream endorsements.

I have to agree.

If being the only rookie in the NFL draft to "come out" was considered to be so "profitable"...then some other "mediocre" player would surely have thought up this idea of enhancing his draft chances by "putting his name up in lights" in such a manner.

Valuist
02-12-2014, 03:45 PM
Thumbs down to ESPN for dwelling on this, and bringing Sam's father into it. Nothing but a bunch of scumbag/douchebags at the 4 letter network.

Jay Trotter
02-12-2014, 06:58 PM
xa-P9llTLM4

I support Sam coming out and I hope he makes an impact on the sport.
:ThmbUp:

mostpost
02-12-2014, 11:14 PM
Here is definite proof that there have been gay players in pro football for years.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pik7fWR8byI

Not exactly PC but......

cj's dad
02-13-2014, 03:14 PM
Hysterical

Valuist
02-24-2014, 10:03 PM
He certainly didn't help himself today. 4.91 in the 40 and toward the bottom of defensive linemen in bench press. Can almost hear Tom Petty's "Free Fallin'".

Robert Fischer
02-24-2014, 10:34 PM
He certainly didn't help himself today. 4.91 in the 40 and toward the bottom of defensive linemen in bench press. Can almost hear Tom Petty's "Free Fallin'".

a few days ago ESPN ran a headline that proclaimed: "Michael Sam ready for NFL challenge"

I was half-hoping it was literal, and that Sam had packed on 20lbs of muscle and was ready for the NFL.

but of course, it was more focus on what he likes to do in the bedroom.

cj's dad
02-24-2014, 10:58 PM
Who cares !! He is gay so what ?? If he can play he will be drafted; if not he won't. Maybe he's trying to be set up for a lawsuit against the NFL

wiffleball whizz
02-24-2014, 11:24 PM
Who cares !! He is gay so what ?? If he can play he will be drafted; if not he won't. Maybe he's trying to be set up for a lawsuit against the NFL

Even the kangaroo agrees!!!

newtothegame
02-25-2014, 05:28 AM
But not to worry, he has himself all sort of headlines now.....:lol:
Who cares if he was the 18th best in his own group (position).
The guy is the next coming since he was the SEC player of the year!!! :rolleyes:

cj's dad
08-11-2014, 06:08 PM
Sam had one tackle and a QB hurry- very close to being a sack. He looked very quick for a DE

Dark Horse
08-13-2014, 01:22 PM
The modern NFL is pretty much orchestrated ballet. Just a matter of time before it's gays only.

JustRalph
08-13-2014, 01:47 PM
The modern NFL is pretty much orchestrated ballet. Just a matter of time before it's gays only.

Some days I don't know what the hell to think of your posts

Are you a bot?

Dark Horse
08-14-2014, 07:38 AM
Some days I don't know what the hell to think of your posts

Are you a bot?

If you have to ask, I'm whatever it was you thought moved in the shadows.

Are you sure you want to know what that is?

cj's dad
08-28-2014, 02:06 PM
ESPN does a report about the shower arrangements in the Rams locker room to accommodate Michael Sam. Are you kidding me. This is all they have to fill air time? ESPN= New sports version of TMZ

Robert Fischer
08-28-2014, 02:48 PM
Sam has generated more money for the team, and league than most 1st-round draft choices.

JustRalph
08-28-2014, 03:28 PM
Sam has generated more money for the team, and league than most 1st-round draft choices.

How do you figure?

Robert Fischer
08-28-2014, 03:59 PM
How do you figure?

He's been a hit in the media.

Same reason we are talking about Michael Sam and not Ja'Wuan James.

tucker6
08-28-2014, 04:04 PM
He's been a hit in the media.

Same reason we are talking about Michael Sam and not Ja'Wuan James.
How does that translate to money for the team and NFL??

Jay Trotter
08-28-2014, 04:18 PM
How does that translate to money for the team and NFL??Michael Sam jersey is the number 6 top seller LINK (http://deadspin.com/these-are-the-best-selling-nfl-jerseys-1608517781) (checked multiple sources)! That's how!

JustRalph
08-28-2014, 04:33 PM
Michael Sam jersey is the number 6 top seller LINK (http://deadspin.com/these-are-the-best-selling-nfl-jerseys-1608517781) (checked multiple sources)! That's how!

They split the proceeds with other teams if I remember right.

Players actually get something like 85 cents if I remember right. This came out during a lawsuit by older players who were not getting anything for their "likeness" being used. Doing it off the top of my head..........

burnsy
08-29-2014, 11:04 AM
ESPN does a report about the shower arrangements in the Rams locker room to accommodate Michael Sam. Are you kidding me. This is all they have to fill air time? ESPN= New sports version of TMZ

Yeah, the media and journalism is joke in country. I exploit it when I bet football. People actually believe that crap and form opinions from it without thinking. Like he's the only gay player. There are probably a couple more just on the Ram's. His problem is their defensive line is already stacked. He looks pretty good and will make it somewhere. When will people grow up? ESPN, next story, pee, pee,....caca. ...and boogers.

Last years big story. Seattle is bunch of thugs.........bet Denver... How did that work?.....
:D

GaryG
08-29-2014, 11:46 AM
The Rams were praised to the skies when they drafted him....now they will be vilified if they cut him. If that happens the team that picks him up will be praised to the skies, that is until the cut him. This whole situation could only happen in the PC world of today.

JustRalph
08-29-2014, 01:37 PM
The Rams were praised to the skies when they drafted him....now they will be vilified if they cut him. If that happens the team that picks him up will be praised to the skies, that is until the cut him. This whole situation could only happen in the PC world of today.

I was thinking the same thing. I don't think the Rams have the gumption to cut him.......they will keep him no matter what?

ronsmac
08-29-2014, 01:38 PM
Yeah, the media and journalism is joke in country. I exploit it when I bet football. People actually believe that crap and form opinions from it without thinking. Like he's the only gay player. There are probably a couple more just on the Ram's. His problem is their defensive line is already stacked. He looks pretty good and will make it somewhere. When will people grow up? ESPN, next story, pee, pee,....caca. ...and boogers.

Last years big story. Seattle is bunch of thugs.........bet Denver... How did that work?.....
:DThere's no way this guy isn't good enough to be on someone's nfl roster, at least as a backup. He also comes dirt cheap for at least 3 yrs.

Robert Fischer
08-29-2014, 06:23 PM
:D So true.

I have no idea if this guy is any good.
From a distance, he seems to have had a competent pre-season showing.

newtothegame
08-30-2014, 05:16 PM
Well, Sam got CUT by the Rams...lets see how the reaction is. Its already a HEADLINE on NFL.com

BREAKING NEWS
Rams cut Michael Sam

Sam, the No. 249 overall pick in May's draft, did not survive the Rams' cut to their 53-man roster.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000386294/article/michael-sam-released-by-st-louis-rams

Robert Fischer
08-30-2014, 05:39 PM
Well, Sam got CUT by the Rams...lets see how the reaction is. Its already a HEADLINE on NFL.com

BREAKING NEWS
Rams cut Michael Sam

Sam, the No. 249 overall pick in May's draft, did not survive the Rams' cut to their 53-man roster.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000386294/article/michael-sam-released-by-st-louis-rams

Let the fun begin.

Also is the Top story of all sports stories on ESPN.

ronsmac
08-30-2014, 06:23 PM

BREAKING NEWS
Rams cut Michael Sam

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000386294/article/michael-sam-released-by-st-louis-ramsit would be stunning if he didn't get picked up by some team.

RaceBookJoe
08-30-2014, 07:38 PM
it would be stunning if he didn't get picked up by some team.

If not, I'm sure he makes it to the ps

GaryG
08-30-2014, 07:53 PM
Jeff Fisher is a no nonsense guy, plus he was a hell of a db at USC along with Ronnie Lott and Dennis Smith. It was painful to hear him emphasize over and over that this was "a football decision".

JustRalph
08-30-2014, 08:07 PM
I'm shocked

horses4courses
08-30-2014, 08:49 PM
Jeff Fisher is a no nonsense guy, plus he was a hell of a db at USC along with Ronnie Lott and Dennis Smith. It was painful to hear him emphasize over and over that this was "a football decision".

We all know the recent history of the Rams' "football decisions".
Far more misses than hits.

There are any number of teams that could find a role for him
in their squads, including my own Chicago Bears.

Mike at A+
08-30-2014, 10:06 PM
Liberals can now call the Rams management "homophobes". In fact, they can call them "racist homophobes".

Dark Horse
08-31-2014, 03:05 AM
It was painful to hear him emphasize over and over that this was "a football decision".

The sad reality of politically correct America.

There are any number of teams that could find a role for him
in their squads, including my own Chicago Bears.

That might bring Urlacher out of retirement.

horses4courses
08-31-2014, 10:53 AM
Liberals can now call the Rams management "homophobes". In fact, they can call them "racist homophobes".

I don't think anyone will do that.
The Rams gave him a chance, and if he could help them, he would be staying.

dav4463
08-31-2014, 12:44 PM
it would be stunning if he didn't get picked up by some team.

Why can't the homosexual just accept the fact that their guy just wasn't good enough for the NFL?

A lot of straight guys got cut too.

horses4courses
08-31-2014, 01:10 PM
Why can't the homosexual just accept the fact that their guy just wasn't good enough for the NFL?

A lot of straight guys got cut too.

You just expect him to stop trying? Call it quits?
Maybe become a fashion correspondent for celebrity tv? :rolleyes:

Has his reaction to being cut been reported anywhere?

JustRalph
08-31-2014, 01:20 PM
How long does a guy usually sit on waivers?

ESPN says "nobody picked him up" isn't it a little early?

GaryG
08-31-2014, 01:34 PM
ESPN had one article earlier yesterday titled: Rams cut 17, Sam still on team. It was like a death watch.

ronsmac
08-31-2014, 03:35 PM

A lot of straight guys got cut too.The guy can actually play.

magwell
08-31-2014, 03:49 PM
The guy can actually play. Yep, but too much baggage comes with him for the NFL at this time........

PhantomOnTour
08-31-2014, 03:53 PM
The guy can actually play.
Here's where all the media attention will work against Sam.
I think he's good enough to get a look from another team, but with the way the media hounds this guy, is it worth it? For a marginal player?

I bet a lot of GM's just won't want to bother with the media crush.
Best bet for him is to make the Rams practice squad and try again next year

_______
08-31-2014, 05:00 PM
He's a DE who can't play any other position and won't play special teams.

The transition from college to the NFL is always tough. But it's a meritocracy. Ask Tim Tebow.

He earned the look. And the cut. Everything else is just people projecting their own political viewpoint.

Good for the Rams on both counts. The NFC West is going to be deadly. No room for nonsense. Hope he hooks up on a practice squad and maybe gets another shot down the line if he's good enough.

Dark Horse
08-31-2014, 05:15 PM
For a rookie to come out like this is unwise. Let him prove himself first. He can always come out after some years when he's established his reputation on the field. But to start out like this puts the spotlight on him when he hasn't shown anything yet. Why would a team have to go along with that? He made it about him first, instead of the team.

ronsmac
08-31-2014, 06:00 PM
Players who can get to the qb are normally at a premium and this guy can definitely get to the qb. Coming out hurt him big time. He was a top player in the Sec, and from what I saw in preseason he plays like a 2nd or 3rd round draft pick.

Tor Ekman
09-05-2014, 10:23 AM
Pathetic . . . and so begins the end of one of the last meritocracies in America

Report: NFL Officials Asked Teams To Consider Signing Michael Sam To Practice Squad

According to NBC’s Peter King and ESPN’s Stephen A. Smith, NFL officials called teams around the league to gauge interest in signing Michael Sam to their practice squad. Yesterday, the Dallas Cowboys signed Sam, who is trying to become the first openly gay player in NFL history.

King reported this during the pre-game show on NBC prior to the Seahawks/Packers season opener Thursday night.

“The Rams waived Michael Sam, the first openly gay player trying to make an NFL roster, he was unemployed for two days,” King said. “During that time a league official contacted multiple teams asking if they had evaluated Sam as a probable practice squad player.”

“Now Sam and the NFL avoided a nightmare situation when he signed with the practice squad of the Dallas Cowboys.”

This report, that is surely to upset other players vying for NFL practice squads around the league, was initially reported by ESPN’s Stephen A. Smith on yesterday’s edition of “First Take.”

“According to sources I have in the NFL, the league did call a few teams. They did want teams to take Michael Sam because obviously we see what kind of movement they’re gearing for, and what they’re support of Michael Sam, who we all know, came out, acknowledged he was gay before the draft and ultimately something Roger Goodell and the NFL supports and they want their teams to support. But other teams weren’t too receptive to taking him on once the St. Louis Rams cut him,” reported the ESPN talking head.

“So in steps, Jerry Jones coming to the aid of the NFL and making a splash with his willingness to bring this guy on board to the practice squad.”

“Kudos to Jerry Jones because it just shows he’s willing to be a team player. it shows that even though he’s a hype machine or what have you, in the end, he’s willing to do what he believes, and what the league believes to be in the best interest of the league,” Smith added.

TheDC is seeking comment from the NFL’s press office.

http://dailycaller.com/2014/09/04/report-nfl-officials-asked-teams-to-consider-signing-michael-sam-to-practice-squad/

Robert Goren
09-05-2014, 11:25 AM
Players who can get to the qb are normally at a premium and this guy can definitely get to the qb. Coming out hurt him big time. He was a top player in the Sec, and from what I saw in preseason he plays like a 2nd or 3rd round draft pick.You must been watching different games. Yes he sometimes looked decent against other players who were cut, but even then he was sometimes pushed around and looked overmatched a lot. I doubt if he is ever active for an NFL game.
His jersey was the seventh best seller, now Jerry looking to get a little Cowboy jerseys action. Yes I know I am a cynic.

GaryG
09-05-2014, 11:47 AM
His jersey was the seventh best seller, now Jerry looking to get a little Cowboy jerseys action. Yes I know I am a cynic.You may be a cynic, but I believe you are right. If he plays it will probably be in Canada or Arena.

proximity
09-05-2014, 11:52 AM
You may be a cynic, but I believe you are right. If he plays it will probably be in Canada or Arena.

that's actually not far from the level of the dallas defense...:)

Robert Fischer
09-05-2014, 12:42 PM
It's an entertainment and media business.

You can't have guys that don't deserve to play, but there is room for a Michael Sam on an NFL practice squad.

I was really surprised when the owner of Jacksonville opted to decline going with the "Tebow show" when TT was cut from the Jets.

Once in a blue moon, an 'entertainment' move proves profitable, even if it's not the ultimate 'football' move.

cj's dad
09-05-2014, 01:41 PM
I'm wondering if ESPN is going to do 5-10 minutes on the shower arrangements. After all, what was arranged in St Louis apparently did not work.

_______
09-05-2014, 02:01 PM
I'm wondering if ESPN is going to do 5-10 minutes on the shower arrangements. After all, what was arranged in St Louis apparently did not work.

Yep. This is why I want the sex life of every reporter and team employee with access to the locker room vetted.

You can't be too careful.

JustRalph
09-05-2014, 02:13 PM
Jerry Jones took one for the team. Now the protestors are threatening him :lol:

Jerry apparently had tinted windows on his Limo. Somebody should tell him about the 10 million dollar churches every other corner in Dallas.

Rookies
09-06-2014, 10:30 AM
Jerry Jones took one for the team. Now the protestors are threatening him :lol:

Jerry apparently had tinted windows on his Limo. Somebody should tell him about the 10 million dollar churches every other corner in Dallas.

Hell, I wanted the Bills to pick him up! It's not like they've been loaded with SB talent this Millenium! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Heard this.

If he doesn't play, it would be the first time in NFL history that an SEC D Player of the Year, did not play one game! :rolleyes:

JustRalph
10-21-2014, 05:54 PM
Sam released from Cowboys.......

Tor Ekman
07-01-2015, 10:51 PM
Broke up with his fiancé after 6-month engagement just as SCOTUS ruled that they could legally marry in any state in the union . . . Coincidence?

ronsmac
07-02-2015, 10:39 AM
Broke up with his fiancé after 6-month engagement just as SCOTUS ruled that they could legally marry in any state in the union . . . Coincidence?Men and women break up all the time, so I'm guessing men and men break up too. Especially at that age.