PDA

View Full Version : FOX Sports Horse Racing Broadcasts

Redboard
02-10-2014, 04:58 PM
So what do you think of the new Fox Sports lineup of TV commentators on Sunday?

I thought the production was good and there didn't seem to be any major gaffes. I like the crew they assembled except for Greg Wolf. The guy is boring IMO. Alyssa Ali seemed to be a little nervous, but, it is the first show. What's with her $50 show bets? I understand she's an experienced handicapper. I didn't expect her to throw out seven-horse superfecta key wheels, but $50 to show on the chalk?

All-in-all, it was good and I'm looking forward to the remaining eight telecasts. I am just glad to see more racing in HD. You know, so when the horse crosses the finish line, you can actually read his number. Thank you FOX!

egreen
02-10-2014, 05:27 PM
I really hope they don't have Ali continue to make "fun" show bets and other dumb-downed stuff. I don't know anything about her, but they shouldn't have her giving betting advice if she knows anything about it. And if she is knowledgeable, then they should have her step up to the plate like the guys. I can't imagine Fox would have wanted any of the guys suggesting fun bests they make at home with friends. That was just insulting.

Bullet Plane
02-10-2014, 07:34 PM
I thought the whole team did a great job. I'm looking forward to the rest of the series. Hope they keep the team intact. Seems like a major upgrade from what I've seen on the other networks....

lamboguy
02-11-2014, 09:23 AM
I thought they did a tremendous job. keep up the good work.

Tara73
02-11-2014, 11:25 AM
I wasn't able to catch the show. Is there anyway to watch a replay online?

olddaddy
02-11-2014, 08:25 PM
It is the best team I have seen put together in awhile. Mig and Serling are really good for their roles. Bray I believe knows his stuff but turns to mush usually because of who he is partnered with at tvg. Ali is ok but please dont act like a ditzy newbie betting $50 to show on a 7-5 shot. Then there is Wolf.

Redboard
02-11-2014, 10:29 PM
I really hope they don't have Ali continue to make "fun" show bets and other dumb-downed stuff. I don't know anything about her, but they shouldn't have her giving betting advice if she knows anything about it. And if she is knowledgeable, then they should have her step up to the plate like the guys. I can't imagine Fox would have wanted any of the guys suggesting fun bests they make at home with friends. That was just insulting.

Arlington Park racing reporter and marketing manager Alyssa Ali grew up at the racetrack. The daughter of Chicago-based trainer Alnaz Ali, she started working in Arlington's television department while still in high school, learning from longtime handicapper Christine Gabriel. Ali attended Augustana College, where she honed her broadcasting skills. Ali now works as an on-air commentator at Arlington Park.
Read more on BloodHorse.com: http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/83229/wolf-to-host-fox-sports-1-racing-broadcasts#ixzz2sxjwQn3x

duncan04
02-11-2014, 10:48 PM
Of course Greg Wolf was going to be on this. He works for Fox Sports as well as TVG.

GarlandTex
02-12-2014, 12:16 AM
It is the best team I have seen put together in awhile. Mig and Serling are really good for their roles. Bray I believe knows his stuff but turns to mush usually because of who he is partnered with at tvg. Ali is ok but please dont act like a ditzy newbie betting $50 to show on a 7-5 shot. Then there is Wolf.

In my opinion, the could eliminate Greg and Simon and nobody would miss them. Call it cost savings and lowering the boredom quotient.

GarlandTex
02-12-2014, 12:17 AM
Arlington Park racing reporter and marketing manager Alyssa Ali grew up at the racetrack. The daughter of Chicago-based trainer Alnaz Ali, she started working in Arlington's television department while still in high school, learning from longtime handicapper Christine Gabriel. Ali attended Augustana College, where she honed her broadcasting skills. Ali now works as an on-air commentator at Arlington Park.
Read more on BloodHorse.com: http://www.bloodhorse.com/horse-racing/articles/83229/wolf-to-host-fox-sports-1-racing-broadcasts#ixzz2sxjwQn3x

I like Alyssa, especially at Hawthorne. Knows her stuff and makes sense in her comments.

LottaKash
02-12-2014, 03:38 AM
I like Alyssa, especially at Hawthorne. Knows her stuff and makes sense in her comments.

Me too, as she offers a bit of fresh air in between the good and interesting analysis' of the other commentators...:)

JohnGalt1
02-12-2014, 03:46 PM
I thought the whole team did a great job. I'm looking forward to the rest of the series. Hope they keep the team intact. Seems like a major upgrade from what I've seen on the other networks....

I agree with your opinion, so didn't vote for one.

Dark Horse
02-14-2014, 02:16 PM
Hard to do a show like this, because they just talk about superficial stuff, otherwise the bulk of the audience tunes out. Did they even mention the speed bias on the turf? For me horse racing is 20 or so minutes of calm and focused analysis, followed by 2 minutes of intensity. It's not a half hour of hype about the race, as these kind of programs present it. I usually turn the sound off.

the little guy
02-14-2014, 02:44 PM
Hard to do a show like this, because they just talk about superficial stuff, otherwise the bulk of the audience tunes out. Did they even mention the speed bias on the turf? For me horse racing is 20 or so minutes of calm and focused analysis, followed by 2 minutes of intensity. It's not a half hour of hype about the race, as these kind of programs present it. I usually turn the sound off.

Wait....you made this post but didn't even watch the show?

By the way, there wasn't a speed bias on the turf.

lamboguy
02-15-2014, 04:29 AM
In my opinion, the could eliminate Greg and Simon and nobody would miss them. Call it cost savings and lowering the boredom quotient.i thought that Wolf and Bray added plenty to that broadcast because of their experience on TVG dealing with somewhat of a younger audience there. some of the guys that broadcast of the major networks have been close friends of mine for years and they have become pretty stale, Fox Sports did a great job with this innovative production and has a very reasonable chance to pick up younger viewer's if they don't make to many changes to this show, and changing anyone of the personal on the broadcast would be the very last thing to change

davew
02-15-2014, 08:59 AM
Wait....you made this post but didn't even watch the show?

By the way, there wasn't a speed bias on the turf.

I didn't watch the show either. I already pay more to DISH than I want so will not upgrade to see this. I wish that foxsports1 would upload it to their website or post it on youtube the next day or something.

I dislike what it did to the AQU track feed on Sat and Sun, as the prerace and between race show was different and missing something I have grown accustomed to.

Tom
02-15-2014, 10:21 AM
I thought the show stood out over all other - operative word here is ALL - racing telecasts.

This is the first one that had a clue what they were doing there, that being covering horse racing. Not hats, not celebrities and who they like, not trials and tribulations of some one or other. The races.

What a novel idea......it will only get better.
You put professionals together and tell them to do what know best and you get a good, sound product.

Those who missed the hats, I suggest QVC.

JustRalph
02-15-2014, 02:05 PM
Just got dish in the new house.......when is the next show?

Tom
02-15-2014, 03:09 PM
Dubai World Cup.
Looks like many more shows next year and more the next....good things to come.

cutchemist42
02-18-2014, 04:14 PM
I thought the show stood out over all other - operative word here is ALL - racing telecasts.

This is the first one that had a clue what they were doing there, that being covering horse racing. Not hats, not celebrities and who they like, not trials and tribulations of some one or other. The races.

What a novel idea......it will only get better.
You put professionals together and tell them to do what know best and you get a good, sound product.

Those who missed the hats, I suggest QVC.

Yep, loved it alot more then the Breeders' Cup coverage.