PDA

View Full Version : Large Print Edition of DRF

Topcat
04-06-2004, 02:06 AM
Is there such a thing as a large print edition of the DRF?
With all the seniors out there it seems if there isn't there ought to be.

BillW
04-06-2004, 02:29 AM
Originally posted by Topcat
Is there such a thing as a large print edition of the DRF?
With all the seniors out there it seems if there isn't there ought to be.

The .pdf edition can be magnified in Acrobat.

Valuist
04-06-2004, 11:04 AM
I can't read the simulcast programs because the print is so small. Thank God for the DRF. I just hope I can still read them 25 years down the line when I'm a senior citizen.

kitts
04-06-2004, 03:03 PM
Present edition of DRF Formulator has a large view option that works great.

schweitz
04-06-2004, 03:18 PM
When my arms were no longer long enough I discovered reading glasses.

penguinfan
04-06-2004, 03:39 PM
Maybe Mark at DRF can help

takeout
04-06-2004, 04:43 PM
And the type in the DRF is a helluva lot smaller than it used to be. Every new ownership shrinks it more while upping the price.

The result charts are also far smaller than they've ever been.

Last time I looked, the DRF's type wasn't any larger than the TSN or BRIS pdfs. It appears larger because there is still a little space between the stuff width-wise. Height-wise it was just as small as what I print out at home. Add to that the old dark paper that DRF has always used and I think it's even harder to read.

They've got us locked up, though. If I couldn't get PPs online I would HAVE to buy a DRF. Tracks' simulcast programs suck (at least the ones I've seen) and in most cases I would hate to use the track's own program as they are usually lacking in a few important areas. I would think that something they charge roughly 4x the value of would at least be on a par with DRF online or BRIS dollar or TSN fifty-cent pdfs, but no. Don't know who's to blame, Equibase or the tracks. Probably 50/50.

I think the tracks and Equibase ought to either get into the real PP business (on a par with what's out there) or get out of it altogether now that the threat of the 3rd party DRF ultimatums is a thing of the past. It is, isn't it?

This whole Equibase/DRF/track program "thing" has been a giant pant load for over a decade now and if most of this stuff gets any smaller they will have to start handing out (who am I kidding... SELLING) a magnifying glass with each copy.

Tom
04-06-2004, 05:55 PM
DRF apparently is experimenting with expanding the product. They have expanded the price several times, so it looks like they are still interested :rolleyes:

Dave Schwartz
04-06-2004, 06:08 PM
I haven't seen a DRF in awhile, but if the newspaper is anything liek software, the value of horizontal real estate on the screen or paper is a valuable commodity.

Is the problem not simply needing to squeeze more information across the page?

Dave

PS: Penguin Fan - That was very funny.

kenwoodallpromos
04-06-2004, 08:26 PM
Price is lower in Oakland edition! Cut out all the stupid bigshot horse/rider/owner/trainer news and expand the print!!

takeout
04-08-2004, 03:23 AM
I finally picked one up (literally). The page is about 11&1/4" wide but they only use about 8&3/8" of that for the PPs. They use another 1&1/2" on the right for comments from their handicappers. Then there is a rather large border of a little over an inch. The border on the left side looks like about 5/8". I know that doesn't all add up exactly but it's close.

Bottom line, they are only using about 5/8" more horizontally for their PPs than what I print out at home on regular 8&1/2 X 11" paper. And the size of their type is only slightly, and I do mean slightly, bigger than the TSN & BRIS pdf type. Someone else check it out when you get a chance and tell me if I'm lying. :)

Not all of the tracks in the one I picked up had comments with the PPs, so on those pages it's just blank down the right side of the page with a couple of inches of space doing nothing.

The result charts are now a teensy 3&1/4" wide. If there's anyone out there still trying to "key race" those bad boys they are definitely earning their money.

I wouldn't be surprised if some day the DRF didn't end up being about the size of a track program. Their type sure has gotten way smaller over the years.