PDA

View Full Version : Wanted: Scripts writer for thinkorswim.

Tape Reader
02-10-2014, 10:20 AM
Wanted: Scripts writer for thinkorswim.

I would like to have a custom script written for TD Ameritrade’s thinkorswim. I want to be able to click on any price bar where I want a parabolic stop, to start. I do not want SAR. Any takers?

RaceBookJoe
02-10-2014, 11:32 AM
Wanted: Scripts writer for thinkorswim.

I would like to have a custom script written for TD Ameritrade’s thinkorswim. I want to be able to click on any price bar where I want a parabolic stop, to start. I do not want SAR. Any takers?

Im not familiar with TOS, but you might want to see if they have a message board at their site and post there also if they do.

PaceAdvantage
02-10-2014, 06:38 PM
I use TOS but haven't gotten into script writing...I used to write systems for Tradestation...that was fun and relatively easy, although not particularly profitable, except on the days the market was really moving...

But then, isn't that usually the case with any method? :lol:

The trick is to know how to trade given the current trading climate...

Tape Reader
02-10-2014, 07:22 PM
I use TOS but haven't gotten into script writing...I used to write systems for Tradestation...that was fun and relatively easy, although not particularly profitable, except on the days the market was really moving...

Can I take that as a yes? A maybe? C’mon Pace, I know that you can do it!

All I want is a point and click starting point, for a parabolic-like trailing stop. My entry points I am willing to bet on, but I still want to be able to leave the house. I have no problem with a reasonable price tag.

badcompany
02-10-2014, 07:57 PM

What kind of system would you use for Forex that would allow you to walk away from the computer and have it trade when certain criteria is met?

PaceAdvantage
02-10-2014, 08:15 PM
What kind of system would you use for Forex that would allow you to walk away from the computer and have it trade when certain criteria is met?Not sure I understand the question exactly. That was all I would write on Tradestation, but not for Forex...for equity futures...

It's quite easy to write a system that will trade for you on Tradestation...and allow you to walk away with a reasonably secure feeling in your stomach...lol

Now winning consistently is another matter altogether... :lol:

Tape Reader
02-10-2014, 08:22 PM
What kind of system would you use for Forex that would allow you to walk away from the computer and have it trade when certain criteria is met?

Not a “system” at all. Stocks, futures or Forex. I feel confident that I know my entry point. And I’m willing to place my bet and walk away. A parabolic-like stop will allow me this luxury.

badcompany
02-10-2014, 10:42 PM
Not a “system” at all. Stocks, futures or Forex. I feel confident that I know my entry point. And I’m willing to place my bet and walk away. A parabolic-like stop will allow me this luxury.

Forex is a bit different.

You tend to sit there waiting for some to happen. I'm thinking about a program that will put trades in place for when that something does happen.

badcompany
02-10-2014, 11:50 PM
Not sure I understand the question exactly. That was all I would write on Tradestation, but not for Forex...for equity futures...

It's quite easy to write a system that will trade for you on Tradestation...and allow you to walk away with a reasonably secure feeling in your stomach...lol

Now winning consistently is another matter altogether... :lol:

I'm looking to slowly get into Forex as it looks like something I can do as I get into my older years when I have more free time. So, I figure I'll be the equivalent of a $2 bettor while I learn the ins and outs.

A program I'd be interested in would go something like:

EUR/USD

If EUR goes x pips above the 10 min SMA

Then Buy Y units of EUR

If EUR goes Z pips below 10 min SMA

Then sell Y units of EUR

incoming
02-11-2014, 12:28 AM
I'm looking to slowly get into Forex as it looks like something I can do as I get into my older years when I have more free time. So, I figure I'll be the equivalent of a $2 bettor while I learn the ins and outs.

EUR/USD

Then Buy Y units of EUR

Then sell Y units of EUR

Very easy to do using MT4 and pending orders.

Dick Schmidt
02-11-2014, 09:01 PM

EUR/USD

Then Buy Y units of EUR

Then sell Y units of EUR

Hi Badcompany,

It is indeed very easy to set up trades on MT4 to do exactly what you discribe. However, I would warn you that if a simple trade of a devation from a SMA produced meaningful profits over time actually worked, everyone would be rich. If you want to give it a try, please start with a demo account (play money) before you put any hard earned dollars into an untested system.

Systems such as yours are used by a lot of people (check out Bollinger bands) as part of a trading system, but for the most part, I don't see them succeeding as a stand alone selection system. However, give it a try, that's what demo accounts are for. Good luck.

Dick

There are two kinds of people:
Those who know how to extrapolate from incomplete data

badcompany
02-11-2014, 10:26 PM
Thanks, Dick.

I just gave an overly simplistic example of a trading program. I don't for a second think it's that easy. I know how long it took me and how much it cost in "tuition" to get to what I consider an expert level at the stock market.

Unfortunately, with the current state of horseracing, I don't see it as something other than recreation during the summer.

Forex, on the other hand, is a game with a future.

thaskalos
02-14-2014, 04:26 AM
Thanks, Dick.

I just gave an overly simplistic example of a trading program. I don't for a second think it's that easy. I know how long it took me and how much it cost in "tuition" to get to what I consider an expert level at the stock market.

Unfortunately, with the current state of horseracing, I don't see it as something other than recreation during the summer.

Forex, on the other hand, is a game with a future.

How much? :)

I too have recently gotten interested in Forex trading...and found the following to be a worthwhile acquisition for a beginner:

http://www.amazon.com/Forex-Trading-Strategies-Video-Course/dp/B00D4I7HQU/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1392369956&sr=1-1&keywords=forex+trading

badcompany
02-14-2014, 10:24 AM

I too have recently gotten interested in Forex trading...and found the following to be a worthwhile acquisition for a beginner:

http://www.amazon.com/Forex-Trading-Strategies-Video-Course/dp/B00D4I7HQU/ref=sr_1_1?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1392369956&sr=1-1&keywords=forex+trading

Ironically, I've found my progress has been more in the areas of position sizing, money management and proper stop loss setting. I was always a good stock picker. Patience still tends to be an issue.

Thanks for the Forex info.

RaceBookJoe
02-14-2014, 12:16 PM
Ironically, I've found my progress has been more in the areas of position sizing, money management and proper stop loss setting. I was always a good stock picker. Patience still tends to be an issue.

Thanks for the Forex info.

Might be a dumb question, but why forex over futures?

incoming
02-14-2014, 12:22 PM

This website http://www.forexrazor.com/en-us/school.aspx will answer all of your Forex questions including Forex history, brokers,(both offshore and US) rebates, MT4 trading platform, robots, leverage, contest and many other useful topics. Start with the school and article tabs. It's free.

All brokers will offer some kind of introductory classes or videos to get you started. Be sure to get a demo account and developed a strategy before you get your feet wet.

badcompany
02-14-2014, 01:07 PM
Might be a dumb question, but why forex over futures?

Futures always struck me as a very rigged game, kinda like the harness racing of financial markets.

A piece of evidence would be the fact that they still have an open outcry market. It's 2014 and they have guys yelling bids across the room. IMO, the only reason for this is that the traders have managed to find away to hang on to their cash cow.

PaceAdvantage
02-15-2014, 06:05 PM
A piece of evidence would be the fact that they still have an open outcry market.Aren't the major open outcry markets essentially dead at this point?

The S&P pit, the once king of the open outcry, is a mere shell of its former self...most of the others are dead and buried...if not officially, then figuratively.

badcompany
02-16-2014, 01:05 AM
Aren't the major open outcry markets essentially dead at this point?

The S&P pit, the once king of the open outcry, is a mere shell of its former self...most of the others are dead and buried...if not officially, then figuratively.

Yeah floor traders are dinosaurs, no doubt, but they still have an open outcry system in 2014. To me, that says they fought electronic trading tool and nail. Can't say I blame them. They had a nice racket going for generations.

http://i95.photobucket.com/albums/l142/thinlizzy21/9582b5aa3b122380955cd4c2a47cacef_zps7a2c1e88.jpg