PDA

View Full Version : Groupie Doll

Beachbabe
02-09-2014, 02:13 PM
WOW!
Started last; was 10 lengths behind on the backstretch & the fractions weren't super fast. She closes like a freight train, wins by 6, in almost track record time.

Grits
02-09-2014, 02:16 PM
Push button. Wow, what a great mare. She looked incredible!!!

Out in grand style..

lamboguy
02-09-2014, 02:21 PM
she is certainly fun to watch and real easy to be a fan of. thanks for the good times, good luck with your new career

SanbornSpike
02-09-2014, 02:21 PM
UNBELIEVABLE ! That was one of the most impressive races I ever seen in 50 years of watching the ponies. Congratulations to the connections and best of luck to this champion mare in the breeding shed. Enjoy your retirement, you earned it.

VeryOldMan
02-09-2014, 03:44 PM
I love it when a champion goes out like a champion. That was fun to watch.

JustRalph
02-09-2014, 03:52 PM
I think the ride had a lot to do with it. She looked great. But that move was timed to perfection. He let the rest of the field do the heavy lifting and then pushed the button at the perfect moment.

Well played, well played!

VeryOldMan
02-09-2014, 04:06 PM
I think the ride had a lot to do with it. She looked great. But that move was timed to perfection. He let the rest of the field do the heavy lifting and then pushed the button at the perfect moment.

Well played, well played!
Along these lines - here's a quote from Rajiv Maragh in the Bloodhorse article about the race:

"Sometimes she breaks a little flat-footed," Maragh said after the race. "It worked out in our favor when she broke a little slow because it gave me an opportunity to get outside and get to the clear. One thing I didn't want to do being on the inside is be pinned in and not be able to make my move when I wanted to."

I like this later Maragh quote:

"I actually geared her down the last sixteenth because it was unnecessary to go any faster."

Stillriledup
02-09-2014, 04:10 PM

Out in grand style..

"Out"? She's retiring? Off this kind of performance?

Clocker
02-09-2014, 04:20 PM

Yes, this race was billed as her farewell tour. She's a 6 y.o. mare, they want babies and breeding season is starting. She has won $2.5 million. 4 or 5 good yearlings will probably sell for more than that.

VeryOldMan
02-09-2014, 04:27 PM
You have 11,000 posts on a horse racing board and didn't know Groupie Doll was going to be retired to the breeding shed? C'mon man!

FYI - here's a quote from the Paulick Report article about today's race:

Groupie Doll is already set to begin her new career as a broodmare for Pope’s breeding operation. She is scheduled to ship to Kentucky soon where she will be bred to Tapit.

JustRalph
02-09-2014, 04:28 PM

http://www.drf.com/news/gulfstream-park-hurricane-bertie-brings-down-curtain-groupie-dolls-career

She has an appointment with Tapit........later this month......... if he can catch her............

Stillriledup
02-09-2014, 04:36 PM
You have 11,000 posts on a horse racing board and didn't know Groupie Doll was going to be retired to the breeding shed? C'mon man!

Groupie Doll is already set to begin her new career as a broodmare for Pope’s breeding operation. She is scheduled to ship to Kentucky soon where she will be bred to Tapit.

I dont follow Gulfstream, i didnt even know she was racing today. I appreciate you thinking i know everything about every horse in America, but sometimes things fall thru the cracks. I'll try harder next time! :D

speed
02-09-2014, 04:39 PM

Of course he knows. This board his his life. He posts stuff to get reactions sometimes. He is comical to read though.

Stillriledup
02-09-2014, 04:40 PM
Yes, this race was billed as her farewell tour. She's a 6 y.o. mare, they want babies and breeding season is starting. She has won $2.5 million. 4 or 5 good yearlings will probably sell for more than that.

Thanks for the info. Its good to go out a winner, its a great way to remember a great champion as her last moment on the track, hopefully in a couple years we will see her son or daughter racing at a high level.

Stillriledup
02-09-2014, 04:43 PM
This board is my life. He posts stuff to get reactions sometimes. He is comical to read though, if he left, the board wouldnt be the same.

Thanks for the compliments. :ThmbUp:

VeryOldMan
02-09-2014, 04:44 PM
I dont follow Gulfstream, i didnt even know she was racing today. I appreciate you thinking i know everything about every horse in America, but sometimes things fall thru the cracks. I'll try harder next time! :D
Got it - trolling with the remark "She's retiring?", I gather.

Stillriledup
02-09-2014, 04:53 PM
Got it - trolling with the remark "She's retiring?", I gather.

What does "out in grand style" mean to you?

VeryOldMan
02-09-2014, 05:00 PM
What does "out in grand style" mean to you?
Now quoting back a phrase I never used. My apologies to the board. I'm done with this thread. Sorry for the feeding and it won't happen again.

Stillriledup
02-09-2014, 05:10 PM
Now quoting back a phrase I never used. My apologies to the board. I'm done with this thread. Sorry for the feeding and it won't happen again.

I was responding to Grits because Grits said "out in style" and that's why i asked if she was retiring, don't respond to me or my posts if you're going to be so sensitive about it. You were the one who took a shot at me for my post count and whatnut, you didnt stick to the topic and now you are the one who's sensitive? Please.

iceknight
02-09-2014, 05:37 PM

Out in grand style.. Just in time for Valentine's day. Will Tapit show up with a rose bouquet and bag of apples?

MutuelClerk
02-09-2014, 05:59 PM
Retiring? Farewell tour(s)? I've seen the Who do this four times. Great mare.

Clocker
02-09-2014, 06:20 PM
I've seen the Who do this four times.

Not with foal you haven't. :p

Grits
02-09-2014, 06:32 PM
Just in time for Valentine's day. Will Tapit show up with a rose bouquet and bag of apples?

If he's smart he will. ;)

Tom
02-09-2014, 08:26 PM
Forget the dozen roses, bring a dozen eggs. :cool:

DeltaLover
02-09-2014, 08:41 PM
Her race was very similar to another mare who was running a few years ago... I am sure you know her...

nijinski
02-09-2014, 08:55 PM
Her pasture friend Brass Hat will miss her too !

classhandicapper
02-10-2014, 09:26 AM
Her pasture friend Brass Hat will miss her too !

Yea, they are best buddies. ;)

That was quite an impressive performance. I'm not sure how fast the race came back and that wasn't a strong field, but it's hard to imagine she's ever run much better than that. I'd put that race in the same tier as her Cigar, 2012 BC Sprint, and the Hamana Distaff.

PhantomOnTour
02-10-2014, 09:53 AM
I think the Beyer fig for her win on Sunday, only a 100, is way too low.
I would estimate it to be over a 110

classhandicapper
02-10-2014, 10:16 AM
I think the Beyer fig for her win on Sunday, only a 100, is way too low.
I would estimate it to be over a 110

I haven't looked at the card carefully yet, but my visual impression of her race was that it was way better than a 100. I also thought the Donn was going to come back a little faster than the figure he gave it. I'll have to take a better look.