PDA

View Full Version : White House discussing 3 year delay on ACA policy bans

Clocker
02-08-2014, 12:45 PM
The administration had already granted a 1 year extension on many of the "worthless" policies from "bad apple" insurance companies that were supposed to be prohibited after 1/1/14. Now they are discussing extending that delay for up to 3 more years due to the many problems of getting ObamaCare up and running.

Following a string of setbacks, the Obama administration reportedly is considering yet another extension of existing individual health insurance policies in an effort to smooth the transition to the federal exchanges under the Affordable Care Act.

Aetna Inc. Chairman and CEO Mark Bertolini told analysts during a conference call he heard the plans could be extended. So did Avalere Health CEO Dan Mendelson.

Meldelson said the Obama administration may decide to let policyholders keep their coverage for an additional three years but refused to confirm if a decision had already been made on the subject.

Avalere Health is a market analysis firm, but Mendelson said his company was not advising the administration on exchange policy. He said he has had informal discussions with administration officials about the extension, but he didn't identify them.

Joanne Peters, a spokeswoman for the Department of Health and Human Services, said the administration was “continuing to examine all sorts of ways to provide consumers with more choices and to smooth the transition as we implement the law.”

Warning: this report (http://nation.foxnews.com/2014/02/07/administration-reportedly-weighing-yet-another-obamacare-extension) is not from a REAL news organization.

JustRalph
02-08-2014, 01:13 PM
Before or after the next Prez election?

Clocker
02-08-2014, 01:21 PM
I wonder what happens just before the three years is up?

The insurance companies will begin implementing their exit strategies?

The people that want to keep their old policies are the low risk customers that are needed in the exchanges to subsidize the high risk customers. If the delay is granted, the insurers will likely face even greater losses on the exchanges and will require even more bailouts from the risk corridors. Those bailouts are only in effect for 3 years unless Congress extends them.

mostpost
02-08-2014, 02:30 PM
Assuming the report is accurate, which I doubt, I would be opposed to a delay. If necessary, they might consider extending the open season a month or so, but even that I would think long and hard before doing.

It also seems premature to speculate on 2015 rates.

Saratoga_Mike
02-08-2014, 02:40 PM
Assuming the report is accurate, which I doubt, I would be opposed to a delay. If necessary, they might consider extending the open season a month or so, but even that I would think long and hard before doing.

It also seems premature to speculate on 2015 rates.

The CEO of Aetna was speculating on their 2/6/14 conference call. If you like, you can go to the Aetna website and listen to it. The Fox news report seems consistent with his comments - the report says the admin is considering changes. The report does not say it's a done deal. Why would one doubt the admin is merely considering additional delays/changes? Isn't there precedent?

RaceBookJoe
02-08-2014, 02:47 PM
The CEO of Aetna was speculating on their 2/6/14 conference call. If you like, you can go to the Aetna website and listen to it. The Fox news report seems consistent with his comments - the report says the admin is considering changes. The report does not say it's a done deal. Why would one doubt the admin is merely considering additional delays/changes? Isn't there precedent?

Only caught part of the story, but thought they mentioned that Aetna was considering opting out of aca or something to that effect. was on cnbc

Clocker
02-08-2014, 02:54 PM
Assuming the report is accurate, which I doubt

Without a shred of evidence, you reject the veracity of the story. Is it because I posted it, or because Fox wrote it?

I am hurt. I work hard fabricating those stories for the amusement of the Kool Aid drinkers. I tell ya, I don't get no respect.

PS Here's another one I just made up.

Health and Human Services spokesman Joanne Peters confirmed that the issue is under discussion, saying: "We are continuing to examine all sorts of ways to provide consumers with more choices and to smooth the transition as we implement the law. No decisions have been made."

Saratoga_Mike
02-08-2014, 03:10 PM
Only caught part of the story, but thought they mentioned that Aetna was considering opting out of aca or something to that effect. was on cnbc

I just looked over the transcript of the 2/6/14 call and I don't see that. I guess I could have missed something - read quickly.

He said the following (for exact quotes go to the company's website):

*ACA book of biz is very small for the company; expects it to lose money this yr
*Risk pool is "a little skewed" toward higher cost lives
*Back-end systems are still a challenge with the ACA product
*About 70% of those who enrolled have paid, but that number is drifting up--thinks earlier enrollees may have enrolled multiple places
*Thinks doc shock (narrow networks) will emerge as an important area of discussion

Clocker
02-08-2014, 03:22 PM

Story here. (http://hotair.com/archives/2014/02/08/aetna-ceo-pulling-out-of-obamacare-is-still-an-option-if-the-program-doesnt-settle-down/)

RaceBookJoe
02-08-2014, 03:35 PM
Story here. (http://hotair.com/archives/2014/02/08/aetna-ceo-pulling-out-of-obamacare-is-still-an-option-if-the-program-doesnt-settle-down/)

Thanks, I didn't catch the entire cnbc story when it came on...I usually have cnbc on mute so caught the story headline caption and when I turned volume up the story was just ending.

Saratoga_Mike
02-08-2014, 03:41 PM

Thanks - all sorts of posturing going on.

Clocker
02-08-2014, 07:48 PM
From the Aetna CEO link:

if we can’t get a good handle on the data and the less data we have, the more risk premium we need to put into our products and that means the prices are higher

Coming soon, to an ObamaCare exchange near you.

Mike at A+
02-08-2014, 07:53 PM
From the Aetna CEO link:

if we can’t get a good handle on the data and the less data we have, the more risk premium we need to put into our products and that means the prices are higher

Or as I've been saying all along, "you know who" pays and "you know who" rides free. Everything Glenn Beck predicted 5 years ago (before he was silenced) is coming home to roost.

tucker6
02-08-2014, 08:09 PM
From the Aetna CEO link:

You know, I was just thinking the other day that I could probably afford an increase in my premiums to help offset all the deadbeats and illegals gaming the system. I don't mind working an extra 4 hours a week for no take home pay. :rolleyes:

Mike at A+
02-08-2014, 08:13 PM
You know, I was just thinking the other day that I could probably afford an increase in my premiums to help offset all the deadbeats and illegals gaming the system. I don't mind working an extra 4 hours a week for no take home pay. :rolleyes:
So they could work 4 hours less and keep the subsidy. 0bama likes you. So do his sheep!

JustRalph
02-08-2014, 08:42 PM
Or as I've been saying all along, "you know who" pays and "you know who" rides free. Everything Glenn Beck predicted 5 years ago (before he was silenced) is coming home to roost.

Silenced? He's doing very well. The Blaze network is on several different ways. From cable systems to online subscriptions, he's everywhere. Making huge money too

Mike at A+
02-08-2014, 08:49 PM
Silenced? He's doing very well. The Blaze network is on several different ways. From cable systems to online subscriptions, he's everywhere. Making huge money too
I meant by Fox. Fox is too mainstream for someone like Beck. My wife (a registered Democrat who last voted "D" in 1992) DVRs The Blaze. Beck has gotten too tame for me on TV at least. His radio show is much better. And I'm glad he hired Laurie Dhue, very easy on the eyes.

davew
02-08-2014, 08:56 PM

Me as well, but my employer is thinking of giving me a 13 hour a week furlough so I can have more options. I guess I may have to find an additional job, or learn to be an organizer or scammer or something....

Clocker
02-08-2014, 11:11 PM
Me as well, but my employer is thinking of giving me a 13 hour a week furlough so I can have more options. I guess I may have to find an additional job, or learn to be an organizer or scammer or something....

You should thank your employer for making you a free agent and removing your job-lock. It is best that you use your free time to follow your passion. Have you considered writing poetry?

Saratoga_Mike
02-10-2014, 04:26 PM
More delays...just hit the Washington Post

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2014/02/10/the-white-house-is-relaxing-the-employer-mandate-again/

Mike at A+
02-10-2014, 04:48 PM

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/wonkblog/wp/2014/02/10/the-white-house-is-relaxing-the-employer-mandate-again/
Whoever called 0bamacare a "train wreck" was being too kind.

mostpost
02-10-2014, 04:56 PM

There are interesting parts to this story other than the fact that the administration is trying to ease the transition into full compliance with the Affordable Care Act.

Like the fact that 95% of large businesses already offer health insurance. That breaks down to 91% of businesses who employ between 50 and 199 workers; and 99% of businesses who employ more than 200 workers. It's all right there in the article.

All of this means that only five percent of companies who employ over 50 workers are currently not in compliance. The only significance to this is that it gives JustRalph something new to post. I can't believe you beat him to it. :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:

Clocker
02-10-2014, 04:59 PM

The article says that the delay came from Treasury. I'm guessing that means the IRS, which was responsible for the previous delay because they couldn't figure out how to implement the law on time.

Mike at A+
02-10-2014, 05:01 PM
There are interesting parts to this story other than the fact that the administration is trying to ease the transition into full compliance with the Affordable Care Act.

Like the fact that 95% of large businesses already offer health insurance. That breaks down to 91% of businesses who employ between 50 and 199 workers; and 99% of businesses who employ more than 200 workers. It's all right there in the article.

All of this means that only five percent of companies who employ over 50 workers are currently not in compliance. The only significance to this is that it gives JustRalph something new to post. I can't believe you beat him to it. :ThmbUp: :ThmbUp:
Maybe 0bama should have concentrated on the 5% or 9% or 1% that needed some sort of "0bamacare" and left the other 95% or 91% or 99% alone. To modify an old adage, "Never have so few gotten so much while screwing so many".

Saratoga_Mike
02-10-2014, 05:03 PM

The table toward the bottom did contain very useful data.

But why the delay? Sorry, why the second delay? Shouldn't all of this be implemented before the midterms, so everyone can reap the benefits????

Clocker
02-10-2014, 05:24 PM
before the midterms

No need to explain further.

Saratoga_Mike
02-10-2014, 05:26 PM
No need to explain further.

Don't they want to showcase their big achievement?

You think Obama sits in the WH and says, "this healthcare stuff is really complex?" I love his revelations.

Clocker
02-10-2014, 05:36 PM
Don't they want to showcase their big achievement?

You think Obama sits in the WH and says, "this healthcare stuff is really complex?" I love his revelations.

He is still trying to figure out why there aren't any shovel-ready jobs.

Saratoga_Mike
02-10-2014, 05:36 PM
He is still trying to figure out why there aren't any shovel-ready jobs.

Nah, Valerie Jarrett says he's too smart for the job.