PDA

View Full Version : NHC takeout? Info on NHC

JustRalph
02-07-2014, 07:35 AM
This has been going around twitter for a day or so. Info on the NHC contest

http://ow.ly/tmltA

Please read the comment section..........there is a response that says the data is out of whack

Robert Goren
02-07-2014, 08:04 AM
Handicapping tournaments are always a strong temptation for me. Then I read the rules and figure out what I have to do to come out ahead in one and I am able to resist the temptation easily. They are set up to won by "gunslingers" not by grinders like me. Too bad, because they sound like fun.

Charli125
02-07-2014, 11:47 AM
Handicapping tournaments are always a strong temptation for me. Then I read the rules and figure out what I have to do to come out ahead in one and I am able to resist the temptation easily. They are set up to won by "gunslingers" not by grinders like me. Too bad, because they sound like fun.

That's what I thought at first as well, but when looking closer, you don't need to hit cap horses to win. If you hit all winners at 3-1, you'd likely win. Or a lot of 2-1's and a 10-1, etc. There is a lot of strategy involved though. Are you going for high percentage, low odds, or low percentage high odds, or some ratio of both?

It's important to look at the takeout though. That's one of the reasons I like the HPWS better than the NHC, though it has some issues as well.