PDA

View Full Version : Robert B. Lewis discussion

letswastemoney
02-06-2014, 11:00 PM
What do you guys think of Cool Samurai? I'm hoping there's a pace battle and maybe he clunks up for the win.

Thebigguy
02-07-2014, 12:09 AM
I dont like him at all. Last time out he beat The Admiral, who I liked. The Admiral came back to bomb. Proving he is not much horse. Its a 7 horse field. I think 4 of them are more likely to win then Cool Samurai.

Rex Phinney
02-07-2014, 03:28 AM
I'll go just the opposite and say I love him. I'll be taking him and candy boy. Shirreffs is claiming the horse never tires, I think he's got a legitimate shot

Smarty Cide
02-07-2014, 02:14 PM
Im gonna be that guy that goes Midnight Hawk in a romp....

what time is the race? eastern standard time of course

letswastemoney
02-07-2014, 08:12 PM
I dont like him at all. Last time out he beat The Admiral, who I liked. The Admiral came back to bomb. Proving he is not much horse. Its a 7 horse field. I think 4 of them are more likely to win then Cool Samurai.
Four of them? Besides Cool Samurai, Midnight Hawk, Candy Boy, and Chitu, there isn't much left besides a couple of turf horses.

Thebigguy
02-07-2014, 08:22 PM
The 3 you mentioned and Diamond Bachlor are all more likely IMO.

nijinski
02-08-2014, 02:08 AM
Very impressive works , I'd give Diamond Bachelor another shot on the dirt .

Thebigguy
02-08-2014, 02:56 AM
Very impressive works , I'd give Diamond Bachelor another shot on the dirt .

I do give him another shot. The problem is there is a good amount of speed and that will hinder his chances. I still think he will be OK on dirt.

precocity
02-08-2014, 08:46 AM
Chitu :cool:

Robert Fischer
02-08-2014, 04:35 PM
Chitu :cool:

There were some things to like in Chitu's allowance.
2 or 3 times during the running he took the worst of a challenge and got shuffled back a little but came back each time.
That can work both ways - It would be nice if he was the one shuffling others back, but it also takes a dominant talent to overcome those.
He didn't exactly explode into the lane, but he was game and grinded home best.

Midnight Hawk is a triple crown level talent. If I want to detract from his victory over Kristo, I'd point to Kristo taking the turn tight, and not changing leads - basically conceding the race at that point to Midnight Hawk, - however, Midnight Hawk then lugs in and hangs. He actually lets Kristo briefly close the gap in spite of Kristo not exactly setting the world on fire on his wrong lead and having to come around the lugging-in Midnight Hawk.

Candy Boy got absolutely overshadowed in the stretch of the Cash Call as Shared Belief stole the show with a brilliant run. Tap it Rich also took himself out of that race with his antics, which detracted from the quality underneath. However, Candy Boy did make a goofy middle-move during the Cash Call and he did run pretty fast overall in spite of being beat 5.75 lengths

looks like Midnight Hawk's race to win or lose.

-- edit - if there's a long shot I have a soft spot for here it's :4: Home Run Kitten. Hard to win that 6.5turf downhill when you draw the rail. This horse is better than the speed figures look, but hasn't done any route race style running yet. Also isn't real big looking. Probably over his head even for the minor awards.

classhandicapper
02-08-2014, 04:58 PM
I'm not going to bet the race, but I am curious as to how as to how Candy Boy is going to run because there were some reasonable disagreements about how fast the Cash Call actually was.

It looked like a solid field (as the Cash Call usually goes), but it's not clear to me just how good yet.

raybo
02-08-2014, 05:03 PM
I have 3, 5, 6 as win contenders, in ranked order, with 1 a close 4th rank.

taxicab
02-08-2014, 06:44 PM
Good race.
Some interesting horses in here.

Midnight Hawk: Mr. Fischer has it right, this horse has real issues staying a straight course in the lane.
In his first race he wore blinkers, and when he turned for home he came in a bunch of lanes to the wood.
In his second race they took the blinkers off and he did just about the same thing.
I don't trust him doing this against good horses( at a short price also ).

Cool Samurai: To answer your question LWM, I think he has a look with these.
I wouldn't be discouraged if he doesn't win today, he looks like a horse that would love a long stretch and the tracks that play a little more fair towards closers (CD/BEL).

El Nino Terrible: Really interesting dude.
They buy him in Ky. then send him all the way to Peru for one dull race, and then ship him into the Peter Miller barn......very strange.
He might of been giving signs that he's a runner.
Very strange part 2:A son of Malibu Moon, out of a Giant's Causeway mare that sold for only 55k.
The first reaction to this is the horse has a bad look to him,that's why he sold so low.
That wasn't it at all.
The reason is obvious when you look at him.......he's very small.
There's nothing the matter with the way he's built, he's just tiny.
That's why they got him on the cheap.
It might work out for them.

horses4courses
02-08-2014, 06:55 PM
:1: Candy Boy in a romp......... :)

Tom
02-08-2014, 07:08 PM
The Hawk is not impressive to me- I seriously doubt his last Beyer.
I wouldn't touch anything under 5-1.
There are far better races to play than this one. Several of them are at Yonkers! :rolleyes:

I'll take the :7:

Racetrack Playa
02-08-2014, 07:12 PM
I like the :5:, needs to move up bigtime , willing to chance a set up .

bks
02-08-2014, 07:18 PM
Candy Boy will go longer. He was just getting going.

Sadler's got a Derby Horse.

letswastemoney
02-08-2014, 07:35 PM
I don't think Midnight Lute is a good route sire. I never bought all that talk about him having breathing problems at longer distances. Even if it's true, his progeny probably inherited it.

Thebigguy
02-08-2014, 07:37 PM
I don't think Midnight Lute is a good route sire. I never bought all that talk about him having breathing problems at longer distances. Even if it's true, his progeny probably inherited it.

This is beyond silly.

letswastemoney
02-08-2014, 07:41 PM
This is beyond silly.
Well, can you think of a good Midnight Lute horse that likes to go longer distances?

Bullet Plane
02-08-2014, 07:43 PM
Looks like they tried rating Midnight Hawk in this race, but he pulled early. No gas left for the stretch...

CincyHorseplayer
02-08-2014, 07:47 PM
Midnight Lute is a 4 of 5 (1 being best)on stamina ranks via Helm.3 year stats.That is sprinter all day mode.

Thebigguy
02-08-2014, 07:50 PM
Well, can you think of a good Midnight Lute horse that likes to go longer distances?
Midnight Hawk is just not that good. Like I said on here last time, the horse he beat last out is horrible. Saying the sire can't get a router is a big conclusion to jump too.

letswastemoney
02-08-2014, 07:55 PM
Midnight Hawk is just not that good. Like I said on here last time, the horse he beat last out is horrible. Saying the sire can't get a router is a big conclusion to jump too.
Any sire can get a route winner. It's a matter of which ones are better at it.

Even before this race I saw Midnight Lute as a sire that will make more sprinters/milers than long distance runners.

Robert Fischer
02-08-2014, 09:08 PM
Looks like they tried rating Midnight Hawk in this race, but he pulled early. No gas left for the stretch...
His faults sure came to the surface here when he wasn't getting everything his own way in small fields.

Yea, he did pull early and ended up a path or two wider than he needed to while wasting some energy.

Tough tough day for Mike Smith in that regard.

In the end he just came up empty in the lane, and Candy Boy who may have gotten a better trip did seem to run a good solid race for the win.

Baffert has had some bad luck with horses like Midnight Hawk, and Tap It Rich who have been very talented but very flawed.
He may have more luck with horses like Indianapolis or Bayern.

CincyHorseplayer
02-08-2014, 09:14 PM
His faults sure came to the surface here when he wasn't getting everything his own way in small fields.

Yea, he did pull early and ended up a path or two wider than he needed to while wasting some energy.

Tough tough day for Mike Smith in that regard.

In the end he just came up empty in the lane, and Candy Boy who may have gotten a better trip did seem to run a good solid race for the win.

Baffert has had some bad luck with horses like Midnight Hawk, and Tap It Rich who have been very talented but very flawed.
He may have more luck with horses like Indianapolis or Bayern.

The loss of New Year's Day crushes me.That was a Derby pedigree.

raybo
02-09-2014, 08:57 AM
Midnight Hawk missed the jump out of the gate and then rushed in the first turn, outside, and ran outside the rest of the race, while Candy Boy sat on the rail and relaxed off the pace. Great trip and ride by Stevens. Candy Boy looked the best in this race, but with that trip and ride he should have. Too early for me to say much about this field.

BlueChip@DRF
02-09-2014, 11:12 AM
Midnight Hawk is a late-year colt and still developing/learning.

classhandicapper
02-09-2014, 11:13 AM
Candy Boy will go longer. He was just getting going.

Sadler's got a Derby Horse.

I thought he went out really well after the wire. He got a nice trip, but I think that performance helped verify the quality of the Cash Call. I couldn't take 2-1, but 3-1 might have tempted me.

Tom
02-12-2014, 09:33 PM
I was much more impressed with the :7: Chitui. He did a lot more than the winner did - first time routing, he pressed 3 wide, was on the pace all the way, took the lead in the stretch, then fought to the wire.

sammy the sage
02-12-2014, 10:02 PM
I was much more impressed with the :7: Chitui. He did a lot more than the winner did - first time routing, he pressed 3 wide, was on the pace all the way, took the lead in the stretch, then fought to the wire.

Tom..be quiet please... ;)